Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
JustADreamAway
Earning My Ears

Talking We're too excited to sleep! - An August 2012 Pre-Trip Report

Hi Everyone! After being obsessed with The Dis for the past month or so, I decided it was about time I finally posted something! After 6 long years of not going on a family vacation, my family is finally heading back to the happiest place on earth!! For a Disney fanatic like myself, this is the best news I could have ever hoped for! But who are we you might ask? Let me introduce us all:

Allison (me)- I just turned 24 years old and am a HUGE Disney fan. I graduated college with a degree in architecture in 2011 and just finished up my masterís degree in sustainable architecture a few weeks ago. I work as a designer for a national homebuilder, where I have been for the past year. I am a huge Disney fan. While Tinkerbell is my favorite character, I donít think there is anything Disney that I do not like. My first trip to Disney World was in 1991 when I was three years old. Since then I have been back 10 times (soon to be 11!) Growing up, WDW was my familyís vacation spot and I looked forward to each trip. Now that I am older, I feel like I appreciate being able to visit Disney World even more because I can understand all of the time, money and planning that my parents put in to give us the opportunity to make memories as a family.

Mom- My mom is a teacher by day and so much more the rest of the time! While she wonít admit it, she is an extreme crafter and always has a new project in the works. This is a picture of our very first trip to Disney World in 1991.....my mom doesn't like getting her picture taken very much so finding a photo of her was quite a challenge!

Dad- For being an accountant, my dad is a pretty laid back guy, but living in a house with 5 women must drive him crazy! Again, sorry for such an old picture!

Jeannine- Sister #1. Jeannine is two years younger than I am and is finishing up her degree in deaf education next May. Her favorite character is Piglet, and she reminds me of him: kind, shy and always worrying about something. In 2009 when we were both in college we took our first solo trip to WDW and it was amazing. We went over our winter break, right after New Yearís so all the holiday decorations were still up and it was truly magical. We loved this trip so much that we made it one of our own traditions to go back at this time every year.

Megan: Sister #2. Megan is 2 years younger than Jeannine and is currently going to school studying pre-veterinary medicine. She is obsessed with animals of all kinds, even the ones that freak most people out. With that being said, obviously her favorite park is the Animal Kingdom. She loves the safari, as well as all of the trails that let you see the animals up close. Megan joined in on our winter break trip for the past two years and she had a great time. We managed to sneak in a few surprises for her to make her visit extra special, which she still talks about!

Kayla- Sister #3. Kayla is going to be a senior in HS this fall and is leaning towards going to school for deaf education like Jeannine is. Kayla hasnít been to Disney as much as the rest of us, but loves it just the same. She played Maleficent in her summer campís production of Sleeping Beauty, so I think that character resonates with her the most.

So that is a little introduction to all of us. But I have left out the most important part! When are we going? For this wonderful family vacation 6 years in the making we will be traveling in August; August 12-18 to be exact.

Ok, I am not going to lie, I am quite nervous about this. Like I have mentioned, for the past 4 years, I have gone to Disney World in the beginning of January. We have been lucky enough to have pretty good weather (with the exception of 2010 when it was like 35 degrees all week long) and low crowds. We were able to do everything we wanted with a minimal wait and get all of the reservations we had hoped for. Going in August is a first for us. The last trip we all took was in 2006 during our April break; this was the last year that we were all on the same school schedule and we knew that it would be our last family vacation for a long time. All of the trips we took before that were also in April or May, so we knew what to expect weather wise and crowd wise. But with Jeannine and Megan in college, Kayla in HS and my mom teaching none of our school breaks align anymore. Only my dad and I have somewhat flexible schedules

At this point I am going into this trip expecting the worst- huge crowds and high temperatures/humidity. But will that stop us? No way! We are in Disney! We LOVE Disney and will make the best of whatever comes our way (although I am hoping it wonít be as bad as I am imagining right now!) But if anyone has any experience with going around this time or any tips/tricks for surviving the heat, I'd love to hear!

Up next: Where are we staying? Were we able to make any ADRís?

...There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away...
2012-Art of Animation/Pop Century 2012- Pop Century 2012-Port Orleans Riverside 2011-Pop Century 2010-All Star Movies 2009-Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006-Caribbean Beach Resort 2001-Caribbean Beach Resort 1998-Contemporary Resort 1996- Polynesian Resort 1993- Polynesian Resort 1991- Disney Inn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: