Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #436
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Hi hurleysweety! I hope your trip was the time out from life's stresses that you and your husband needed.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #437
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

We're back!

Well hello there disboard family! I've missed you!

And I have great and exciting most excellent news!! We're headed back in 2012!

You see, like always, we can't stay away. We've have a problem and frankly, we've stopped caring how weird our friends think we are. My parents have accepted it. His parents are on their way to loving Disney just as much (been on 3 Disney trips with them now and already talk of a 4th for next Christmas). My boss, when I told him we were going, replied with, "Well, of course you are..." as if he knew long before we planned the trip that we'd end up there.

So let me tell you how long this trip has been talked about....maybe since January? The trip was born out of many conversations about going somewhere new, somewhere different, just to get away and be together, alone, on vacation (haven't done that in a over a year now and I think it is a great part of a healthy marriage). We started looking at all kinds of things, but then my sister got engaged and just got married last Saturday (congrats, sissy! ). And then my parents had a business trip to Vienna (they are in sales and one of their companies takes them somewhere fun every year). And then we have DH's second job which basically makes him unavailable from Jan-March to go anywhere. And then we bought a house in March and moved in April.

So trip plans were talked about (Cruise, Alaska, San Fran, San Diego, Milwaukee, Texas, Las Vegas, New Orleans, even a few international trips were talked about - all-inclusive in Mexico, adventure in Scotland, Paris, Italy or maybe even Fiji?) But we wanted to leave NOW, not in 6 months. So in 6 months we'll go to a new place. For now, lets go see what we haven't in California.

That said, our San Diego Beach Trip turned into
an Los Angeles and Hollywood City Trip turned into a
"VISIT CARSLAND TRIP!" Yes, yes, yes, we are headed to Disneyland for Cars Land. I mean, how can you drive to Southern California and NOT go to Disneyland. I'm pretty sure we are unable to do so.

Photo Credit - disneydreaming.com

Who: Just me and the Hubs!
Dates: June 18-22,plus 2 days in Santa Monica before, and 1-2 nights in Newport afterwards
[B]Days in Park: 2 or 3 day park hoppers
Hotel: Hilton Anaheim
Celebrating: 4 Year Anniversary! (about 3 weeks late, but we haven't had time to celebrate yet)

We're a little excited over here. We're so excited to go on vacation. So excited.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston

Last edited by hurleysweety; 06-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #438
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Wooo! Congrats on another trip (and buying a house! That's exciting too)!!! Carsland is gonna be so awesome! Counting down the days...
Bouncy!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #439
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

whooohoo what fun, you must take lots of pics
JadeDarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #440
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
Wooo! Congrats on another trip (and buying a house! That's exciting too)!!! Carsland is gonna be so awesome! Counting down the days...
Thanks! Excited, but nervous for Cars Land! So used to having many different threads of advice to read through - but everything is so hypothetical right now, its hard to make any real plans.

And the house is fun too - but it can be overwhelming doing projects, fixing things, shopping for and buying furniture, painting, etc. So far, we are loving it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDarkstar View Post
whooohoo what fun, you must take lots of pics
Thanks! Of course there will be more food than anything.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
Old 06-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #441
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

My super special Cars Land plan

I don't have a schedule as to what days, what parks, yet, but I thought I'd tell you my "super secret special Cars Land strategy"

First - Get there early
Second - Walk, don't run to the fast pass line
Third - Wait in RSR FP line for a long time while watching the masses in front of and behind me
Fourth - Get RSR fp
Fifth - Join the cattle hearding in Cars Land
Sixth - Wait, wait, and wait in long long long long lines
Seventh - Devour more treats and calories than usual to make up for my grumpiness due to waiting in lines...and feed DH as well.

Ah yes, super impressive. I bet you just learned SO much from reading this post. Sorry to disappoint. I just get a kick out of the "strategies" out there. I'm of the opinion that its going to be busy and if you just accept that, move on, and enjoy being at DLR for the sake of being at DLR, it will be a fantastic memory.

Here's to people watching on park benches, NOT being stuck in my office, and special time with DH - even if we are surrounded by the projected 100,000 people...

I also figure if I tell this to you all, then maybe I'll 100% feel this way when I'm stuck in a 4 hour line...oh, the horror, the horror!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #442
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
I don't have a schedule as to what days, what parks, yet, but I thought I'd tell you my "super secret special Cars Land strategy"

First - Get there early
Second - Walk, don't run to the fast pass line
Third - Wait in RSR FP line for a long time while watching the masses in front of and behind me
Fourth - Get RSR fp
Fifth - Join the cattle hearding in Cars Land
Sixth - Wait, wait, and wait in long long long long lines
Seventh - Devour more treats and calories than usual to make up for my grumpiness due to waiting in lines...and feed DH as well.

Ah yes, super impressive. I bet you just learned SO much from reading this post. Sorry to disappoint. I just get a kick out of the "strategies" out there. I'm of the opinion that its going to be busy and if you just accept that, move on, and enjoy being at DLR for the sake of being at DLR, it will be a fantastic memory.

Here's to people watching on park benches, NOT being stuck in my office, and special time with DH - even if we are surrounded by the projected 100,000 people...

I also figure if I tell this to you all, then maybe I'll 100% feel this way when I'm stuck in a 4 hour line...oh, the horror, the horror!

This 6 step plan is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing next week on opening day (although I might burst into a "run very sneakily disguised as a fast walk" in step 2). Great minds think alike. I'm really interested in trying all of these new foods and snacks...and the super long lines for the rides will allow me to sample so many!
Bouncy!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #443
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
This 6 step plan is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing next week on opening day (although I might burst into a "run very sneakily disguised as a fast walk" in step 2). Great minds think alike. I'm really interested in trying all of these new foods and snacks...and the super long lines for the rides will allow me to sample so many!

"run sneakily disguised as a fast walk" - too funny! DH and I have our morning "rope drops" at both WDW and DLR down to a science that we often use the strategy in other crowded places. We basically decide on a place to meet up and then just go as fast as possible. We find it much easier to do this because one person trying to get from point A to point B is a heck of a lot easier than 2! (Or when I see families of 5 holding hands running down main street, eek!)
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #444
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Gotta Love Priceline, Beach Trip & More

After days of scouring the internet, and I'm not exaggerating at all - every moment of free time for the past 72 hours has been spent looking at hotels - we finally have a hotel for our first two nights. The hotel had many, may "must-haves" which made it difficult, mostly because of price.
  1. Must be near the ocean, that is why we are doing this right?! Ocean view or beach front would be but probably not in budget
  2. Must have easy freeway access
  3. Must be nice enough to consitute not just staying in Anaheim the whole trip
  4. Must be north of Anaheim, for same reason as #3
  5. Must be under $100 a night, unless a resort, which case, under $150
  6. Cannot be two doubles - worst room set up for us - yuck

So I knew that somewhere, there had to be hotels for less than the standard $200-$350 price tag I saw on oceanfront hotels. Yes, they looked nice, but I'd rather spend my money on entertainment, shopping,...and my favorite, FOOD.

So I stumbled upon the Long Beach area on priceline. BTW, if you have not, check out the name your own price options. We've used it 6 out of 8 DLR trips and have never been disapointed. Why? Because I research the heck out of the area before I bid - see better bidding . com (without spaces) for more information. I also like bidding for travel . com too (also without spaces).

I was able to snag the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor for $65/night! That is 61% off their standard rate. So I was pretty happy and so is DH. This hotel is commonly used for people who are boarding cruises. And since we will be there on a Sunday, we will get to see the Disney cruise that leaves! Excited to view that for sure! Maybe I can talk DH into one for the future...we'll see!

Plans are coming along nicely. Stay tuned for a surprise dinner that I couldn't be more excited about.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #445
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

What a nice grab with the hotel! Also, one of my pet peeves is when large groups/families hold hands and try to walk through a crowded area. My family is very much like you where we have a destination and we all know what it is and we all get there ASAP. I'm don't have to worry about anyone else other than me and me getting to that spot.

It doesn't hurt that our family prides ourselves on being expert "people-weavers".
Bouncy!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #446
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
What a nice grab with the hotel! Also, one of my pet peeves is when large groups/families hold hands and try to walk through a crowded area. My family is very much like you where we have a destination and we all know what it is and we all get there ASAP. I'm don't have to worry about anyone else other than me and me getting to that spot.

It doesn't hurt that our family prides ourselves on being expert "people-weavers".
People-weavers! I love that term! I happen to be a somewhat aggressive people-weaver and sometimes have to remind myself how many kids, strollers, and older people are in DL or DCA. I tend to get, ahem, carried away, when I'm focused on something like grabbing RSR FPs!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #447
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Its time for "Let's make a DINING schedule!"

Oh schedules - the ever so important part of any trip, and probably one of the most fun and frustrating things for all us OCD Disney Planners. We love spending the time dreaming up what we call the most fantastic plans ever only to realize that the park opening has changed for that day, or we can get the reservation we want, or that the the fp are already gone for the day. So here we go, here's my first attempt. Let's see how we do here:

FOOD
I love food, so first, let's do a dining schedule.

Tuesday (not a park day)
Breakfast at Tangaroa Terrace

Tangaroa Terrace - French Toast by speakerchad, on Flickr

Lunch offsite
Dinner at the new La Brea Bakery Express

Photo Cred: WDWinfo.com

Wednesday
Breakfast at Flo's

Photo Cred: Disneyland Live
Lunch at ??

Dinner at Blue Bayou - Celebrating our friend's 4yo's birthday! Its a surprise and the little girl has no idea she is even going on a trip!!! So excited to see our friends in DLR - a totally spontaneous thing that it happened that way.

Photo Cred: Davelandblog

Thursday
Breakfast at hotel?

Lunch at Jolly Holiday Bakery

Photo Cred: disZine

Dinner at Wine Country Trattoria (haven't been here since 2007, so I'm excited!)

Photo Cred: ToursDepartingDaily

Friday
Breakfast at Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe

Photo Cred: USA Today

Lunch at Carnation Cafe (so excited for the new menu!)

Photo Cred: Dateline Disney

Dinner at the Lounge of Carthay Circle Theater (not the special club, just the lobby area that is open to anyone)

Photo Cred: Paul Hiffmeyer/Disneyland Resort on DisneyGeek

Last edited by hurleysweety; 06-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #448
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Just stumbled upon your report. We're doing WCT the same day as you but lunch instead of dinner. Then, we will have dinner at Carthay Circle on Friday as well. Maybe, we'll see you there. I wanted to do La Brea this trip, since it is one of my faves. It has to wait. I will be having that french toast at Tangora Terrace on Thursday (rather than Tuesday). We want to get breakfast before we leave the hotel, so we can have lots of Carsland time in the morning. Hopefully, we both have great times there, and I hope that 100,000 guess for crowds is wrong. We'll see soon enough.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #449
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour

Sounds like an awesome food lineup---all very new experiences! I'm interested to see how you like the breakfast stuff at Flo's. I really want to try some of the dinner foods there (especially the pies!) when I go this weekend.
Bouncy!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #450
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Just stumbled upon your report. We're doing WCT the same day as you but lunch instead of dinner. Then, we will have dinner at Carthay Circle on Friday as well. Maybe, we'll see you there. I wanted to do La Brea this trip, since it is one of my faves. It has to wait. I will be having that french toast at Tangora Terrace on Thursday (rather than Tuesday). We want to get breakfast before we leave the hotel, so we can have lots of Carsland time in the morning. Hopefully, we both have great times there, and I hope that 100,000 guess for crowds is wrong. We'll see soon enough.
Thanks for joining in!

I love your taste in "Disney Cuisine"! Too funny that we're eating at so many similar places. Maybe we'll bump into each other. I would love to do Carthay Circle as a sit-down, but DH can't get past the prices, even though I have told him it will be as good as Hollywood Brown Derby in WDW, our favorite restaurant, despite the "signature" price tag. But as reviews come out this weekend, maybe I can talk him into it. If we weren't doing Blue Bayou as well, we would probably do it. But since Blue Bayou is a celebration with friends, it wins on this trip!

Quote:
Sounds like an awesome food lineup---all very new experiences! I'm interested to see how you like the breakfast stuff at Flo's. I really want to try some of the dinner foods there (especially the pies!) when I go this weekend.

Thanks! I love trying new things. As DH keeps saying, its like a whole new park. I'm glad that we will be plenty to do in DCA this trip.

I'm eager to try the Apple Cheddar pie, since it sounds so weird. I might find time to stick my head in their during lunch or dinner to check out those new options.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: