Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I ran a mile yesterday, in the rain. Finally had to walk out of the woods though, my feet were soaked and didn't like running.
Rain for the next 4 days, so not sure how much running I'll get done. I'd like to unbury the blessed treadmill but DH is being a big PITA about it.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Welcome Kaiti! I am so excited for everyone doing the TOT! I have run the w&d the past two years and the TOT took the W&D time slot. You are going to have a great time.

The Brooks Ariel is a motion control shoe--meaning it is correcting for pronation. So be very careful to make sure you need the motion control. Please disregard this unsolicited advice if you have already been fitted for them. Long story short, I started off in motion control shoes when I was overweight and as I lost the weight, I stopped pronating. And developed a bunch of injuries most likely from being in the motion control shoes when they weren't needed. Just want you to stay healthy.
Thanks for the advice Rose I do think I pronate, actually. I got fitted for my current pair of Brooks, and I can't remember what all the guy told me. I know my ankles roll and I measure about 8.5/9 unweighted to a 10.5 weighted A HUGE jump! So maybe the motion control would be a good thing. Thanks for being so concerned though...and any advice from you is good advice!

Last week was my first week training for the ToT, and I think I did pretty good! I finished my Thursday run feeling like I could keep going for a little longer, but I decided not to push too far- if I mess up a knee or something and can't do the race, I'd be heartbroken! My first long run was this past Saturday, and I have no idea how my time was, but I did pretty good! My DM and I did a 5k together with our WW group. Here's the picture of us getting our certificates:

I'm in the pink.

I'm really proud of my DM. She's been on WW for just under a year and already lost 116lbs! I tell her all the time she's lost a college student, lol. It's kinda fun now, because we both have the same number of pounds to lose before we hit our maintain weights, so it's a bit of a competition between us. We'll just have to see who wins...*evil grin* lol!
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #33
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Kaiti- Congrats to you and your mom and especially to her on her weight loss-over a 100lbs -

I have not run since my 5k on mother's day, suffering from what i think is ITBS in the right leg/knee and also trying to heal up some pretty big bruises on my left leg from a biking fall- learning how to "clip in" whoever said "it's as easy as riding a bike never clipped in. I plan on a short run tonight to prep for my 5k Saturday. I attempted to ride with my husband's bike group last night- I say attempted because I only managed 19 of the 28 miles due to a very windy ride. Hubby had to go get the car and rescue me

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

Dottie
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Dottie--meant to say yesterday, great time on that 5K! I am hoping to be under an hour for the 10k we will run in July and right around 25 for the Parents Weekend 5k in Sept. I hope your knee/leg cooperates when you run today. I think a 19 mile bike ride is still pretty impressive!

Kaiti--Congratulations to you and your Mom!

Buffy--sorry about the rain messing with your plans. Sometimes I like to run in the rain, and sometimes it is really unfun. Hope you find your treamill soon.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

would love the run in the rain but this is black scary looking clouds rain. With that comes thunder and lightening. And of course the green is 1.6 miles around so with my luck I'd be 1/2 way around when the skies open up.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #36
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

hi, i'm here. i am so far behind on my DISing. boo.

will try to update soon. xoxo!!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Hi! On a forced day off from my C25K. Since the toe healed, I've been diving back in and finding that the early parts of the plan are borderline easy - I guess I'd come farther than I thought when I started this! But after getting out there a week straight, I knew I needed to take a day off. I still had to talk myself down from wanting to get out there tonight - such beautiful weather. I never realized how addictive this could be...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
I'm really proud of my DM. She's been on WW for just under a year and already lost 116lbs! I tell her all the time she's lost a college student, lol. It's kinda fun now, because we both have the same number of pounds to lose before we hit our maintain weights, so it's a bit of a competition between us. We'll just have to see who wins...*evil grin* lol!
You and your mom are awesome! I love that you can do this with her. My mom is several states away, and she has bone density issues. And she really dislikes exercise (beyond her gardening, anyway!). Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the ToT 10-miler, btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
would love the run in the rain but this is black scary looking clouds rain. With that comes thunder and lightening. And of course the green is 1.6 miles around so with my luck I'd be 1/2 way around when the skies open up.
I had a near miss like this the other day - I went out in the morning to beat the rain that was forecast for later in the day. I got to my halfway point - as far away from the house as I was gonna get, and it started to sprinkle. ! Fortunately, it never started fully raining, so it ended up just being refreshing. I'm nervous about rainy runs right now, as I don't want to lose my footing and re-injure that toe! I think at this point I can probably stop worrying about that, but I'm still a little overprotective of it.

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Buffy--I have run in thunderstorms and it is definitely unfun. And dangerous. I look back on it as a "what was I thinking" moment....Mike got caught running in a hail storm once. He said it really hurt. We laugh about it now, but definitely not good at the time.

Liz--glad that toe is cooperating.

Gee Nancy, I cannot understand why you are not posting multiple times a day. How busy can you really be?? Miss you and hope things are going splendidly.

So we took our first run in our new shoes. Here is a little shoe report.
Here's a link to what I am running in now:
http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoes/w...eutral-trainer

Yes, the price is crazy. I only get about 3 months out of a pair of running shoes, and I'm hoping to get 4-5 out of these, plus there is that whole avoiding p-t thing....and I think I am going to be able to run wo/ inserts (and since I probably will need new ones soon, that will save some $$ too).

Anyhow, I thought the run went great. I did ok with keeping my cadence up, which is one of the keys to mid/forefoot stride. When I would accidentally heel strike I would automatically know and correct. I think I was pulling my toes up a little (leftover from wearing the Strassburg sock so much this winter haha) and I developed a hot spot on my foot.

We ran for 31 min which is a bit longer than we should have gone when getting used to the shoes, but we had both been working on our cadence and the stride for a couple of weeks. By the last quarter mile I could really start to feel it in my calves (which is normal to start) and I had that hotspot going so it was time to stop.

The exciting part--NO heel pain, NO plantar pain (and I ran without my inserts!!!!!!), NO back pain at all (I could do a complete forward fold at the end of the run--which is incredible!), NO hip tightness, NO itband soreness.

It is going to take a while to get used to the shoes. I was slower. When I got tired I had to really concentrate to keep my form which is mentally tiring. My calves are sore, but if tonight's run is any indication I am cautiously optimistic that this going to work great. The shoes are so light compared to my Brooks.

We only went 2.8 miles (3.65 total with the walking at the end), but I really can't believe how great I felt.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #39
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Those sound great Rose. Having no pain is worth any expense if you ask me!!

I still didn't run today, the heart wasn't in it. But I hope to do something tomorrow after our volunteer appreciation breakfast. DS15 gets out at 1 tomorrow so maybe we'll do a quick run after school.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #40
CRUIZEN MAMMA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Dottie--meant to say yesterday, great time on that 5K! I am hoping to be under an hour for the 10k we will run in July and right around 25 for the Parents Weekend 5k in Sept. I hope your knee/leg cooperates when you run today. I think a 19 mile bike ride is still pretty impressive!

Kaiti--Congratulations to you and your Mom!

Buffy--sorry about the rain messing with your plans. Sometimes I like to run in the rain, and sometimes it is really unfun. Hope you find your treamill soon.
Rose- my Castaway Cay 5k time -was before the foot and knee injuries and the course is as flat as flat can be, but I was on a Disney"s private island what could be better! I am hoping for around a 27 time for my 5k this weekend my PR for this course is a 26.35 in Nov for the turkey trot also pre-foot problems. I know I will smash my 32.34 which was my time last year for this race. My 2mile run yeaterday went well, no pain-I could have done more but did not want to push it just yet-and it was just starting to sprinkle afterwards I went to the Y and did some stretches and about 15-20 min on the eliptical. If the rain holds out today I will bike with my women's group an 18 mile loop.
4th DCL Cruise-DREAM Jan.15-19,2012-
5K Castaway Cay
Ran My 1st 1/2 marathon!Princess Feb 26, 2012
Wine and Dine 1/2 marathonNov 10,2012
20th Anniversary Disney Marathon Jan 2013:I did it
Disney World 10kand 1/2 marathon 2014 here I come!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2014!!! Girls Only Weekend!
CRUIZEN MAMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #41
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

I would love to join this thread!!

Name: Kayla
DisName: ::Snow_White::
Upcoming Races: Color Run 5k (June)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): 2 5ks (April & May) Half Marathon in May
Favorite Race: Half Marathon!
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): College student, just started running seriously a few months ago, love to race!
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Nike

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Happy National Running Day!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Happy National Running Day!
Ooh, maybe that explains it! I went out for a C25K run/walk this morning and was so surprised to get back and find I'd dropped 20 seconds on my pace from my last outing. ?!?! Must be the National Running Day fairies.

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #44
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I shared this on the June Exercise thread but I'll share here as well.
I did C25K W6D2 and I am spent. Today was a 10 minute jog, 3 minute walk, 10 minute jog. Today was the worst day I have had. I think it was the class last night. I started a Strength and Sculpt class last night. Lots of leg work that was pretty hard for me.
I felt fine today, no soreness, but it came out in the run. I was going so slow towards the end, keep checking the timer on the phone and telling my self "just a few more minutes, just a few minutes" Then I started counting and talking out loud! Thank goodness there was no one around but at that point I don't think I could have cared less!
I am now sipping on a protein shake and eating a banana.
I wanted to do more exercise today but it's not going to happen. I'm going to take a shower, do the laundry then relax and watch the Biggest Loser on Netflix! lol
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #45
liesel
DIS Veteran

I'm late to the party. Thanks for starting this new thread Rose!

Name: Lisa
DisName: Liesel (nickname in high school, I was a choir geek!)
Upcoming Races: Run 4 the fourth-July 4th
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): 2011: 3 5Ks, 1 4 miler, 1 10K 2012: Inagural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (Jan), Colfax 5K (May)
Favorite Race: The Tink!
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): I'm solidly in the 35-39 age bracket and currently live in Colorado. I'm married with 2 kids, DS10 and DD6. I'm currently at home with them, but will look for something part time (and hopefully fun!) once we move. I was a chef in my prekid life. We are relocating to NorCal this summer, which is why I don't have any more races on my calendar yet. I need to get through this move first! I hope to do a half in the fall and either the Tink or marathon weekend in January. I am in for the DL Half Sept 2013!
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Saucony Hurricane 13. This is a stability shoe for overpronation. When I get these shoes replaced I am going to get reevaluated because I can already see that my body has changed throughout this journey.

To all the newbies: welcome! I joined this thread last year while I was preparing for my first half and these ladies helped me immensely. I had a fantastic time at the Tinker Bell Half and can't wait to do another Disney race!

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: