Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkelands View Post
Time to start my 4th week. It'll be the farthest I've gotten! Also there only seems to be one more Cardio Power, which is my mortal enemy. Something about doing all those squats during warm ups that drains me of energy before getting to the intervals.

Today is Pure Cardio/Abs. Once again I will be upset how everyone is happy and dry at the start of Cardio Abs while I'm a sweaty mess.
I KNOW!!!!!!!!
Isn't that just maddening?
I told my husband that too. He does the dvds at night while I do mine in the morning. Apparently it doesn't bother him as much as it does me...

YAY for 4th week!
I have 2 more days before starting my 4th week.
DH said that my legs look a LOT leaner... he's such a good hubby...

Will you go straight through to the second month after recovery week or will you repeat the first month?
I'm curious to hear what you think about the second month.
I'll be repeating the first month for sure.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Burkelands
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseca View Post
Will you go straight through to the second month after recovery week or will you repeat the first month?
I'm curious to hear what you think about the second month.
I'll be repeating the first month for sure.
I think I'm getting to the point that I wouldn't be receiving the full benefits of the program if I went back to the beginning.

My girlfriend just started the second half and was saddened to find out the videos are about an hour (more on the double video days). Glad I know now so I can be mentally prepared in a couple weeks.

We don't compliment each other but we tend to poke each others' lower backs since we've never had muscles there before.

I know it's a ways away but any thoughts on what you'll do after? I think I want to continue onto Asylum afterward, just have to figure out how to build a pull-up stand in the yard. The pains of not having any doorways near my workout area.
Burkelands is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
cseca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkelands View Post
I think I'm getting to the point that I wouldn't be receiving the full benefits of the program if I went back to the beginning.

My girlfriend just started the second half and was saddened to find out the videos are about an hour (more on the double video days). Glad I know now so I can be mentally prepared in a couple weeks.

We don't compliment each other but we tend to poke each others' lower backs since we've never had muscles there before.

I know it's a ways away but any thoughts on what you'll do after? I think I want to continue onto Asylum afterward, just have to figure out how to build a pull-up stand in the yard. The pains of not having any doorways near my workout area.
You two are brave souls!
You both should turn in your pictures for the free t-shirt after the 60 days
It is rather amazing to see the different muscles showing up... hehe... although after 2 kids, I'm giving up on seeing any abs on the outside.
Oh well, small price to pay for 2 incredible munchkins...

I read about the extra time on the second month too. That's why I'm not too excited about starting that either. I'm already having trouble finishing the exercises before DH has to leave for work. Once I have to do the second month waking up at 5am is going to be

Urgh... I was thinking about P90x after this. I am too scared to think about Asylum.
I heard that P90x works out different muscles than Insanity, so maybe maybe maybe I won't feel like passing out doing that one...
If you do start Asylum you have to post here and let me know what you think....
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
mjlewis23
Mouseketeer

I took 3 days off last week, so I'm adding an extra week to month 1. Doing Insanity after 3 days off was rough...I was a puddle of sweat! But, it's still the best workout program I've ever done. Can't wait to go home and put myself through it again tonight! <----this is my laughing while passed out from Insanity smiley.
mjlewis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
cseca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlewis23 View Post
I took 3 days off last week, so I'm adding an extra week to month 1. Doing Insanity after 3 days off was rough...I was a puddle of sweat! But, it's still the best workout program I've ever done. Can't wait to go home and put myself through it again tonight! <----this is my laughing while passed out from Insanity smiley.

I do that after every video except for the recovery one.
The kids gave me their cold so now i'm crossing my fingers that i'll feel ok enough to do tomorrow's double video exercise. Cause I know what you mean about restarting after sometime
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Burkelands
Earning My Ears

Finished my last Power Cardio last night. Still a chore for me but I did push myself to do all of the squat hops & push ups during the last section.

Quote:
I took 3 days off last week, so I'm adding an extra week to month 1. Doing Insanity after 3 days off was rough...I was a puddle of sweat!
I commend you for this! They say that for everyday you miss you should restart that many days earlier from where you left off from. It's the reason I stopped last time, after I missed a week.

Quote:
The kids gave me their cold so now i'm crossing my fingers that i'll feel ok enough to do tomorrow's double video exercise. Cause I know what you mean about restarting after sometime
... or maybe if you keep going you won't notice that you're sick, cause of all the discomfort that insanity will keep you in.

And speaking of laughing, I just found this great tip while perusing the beachbody boards last night:

Shaun T's Trick for Tight Abs

Keep up the good work everyone
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
cseca

fake laugh... hmm... I wonder if you do that in public people will really think you're insane... get it? insane?

hey, you have to forgive me. I had to go to ER 2 days ago to get stupid stitches on my finger. And that means I couldn't do my insanity yesterday. I was really bummed
But I'm back on track today ... with some modification since I can't put pressure on my finger yet.

Hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
mjlewis23
Mouseketeer

Oh man, stiches on your finger? I whine when I get a paper cut....lol. Good for you for getting back on the wagon though! Just be careful! I've been quite sore this week from taking a few days off last week. But I'm pushing through too.

I'm so glad we are all doing this together:-). It's nice to post about my progress, or sometimes lack thereof, and hear about all of yours too, and not have someone from Beachbody trying to get me to be a coach under them or sell Shakeology....haha.

Good work all!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Out of curiosity, how feasible is it to do in an apartment? I can't do too much jumping around or heavy impact stuff since I don't want to piss off my neighbors downstairs. P90X is pretty good to go, save for Plyo...that I go downstairs to the workout room and run the video on my iPhone. Are either Insanity or Asylum possible or I would I be downstairs every day?
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

I have completed the full Insanity program once and have done individual workouts multiple times. I have very much mixed opinions on the program.

On the positive side, I must say it is a great program for improving cardiovascular conditioning. I find Shaun T motivational and encouraging. Overall, the program does get you in shape like the infomercial says it does. My clothes felt looser and I saw real improvements in the fit tests.

However, the more I learn and experience about proper form and methodology, the more I think the instructor doesn’t really know what he is doing and the potential for injury is needlessly high. My first big beef is that plyometrics (jump training) is frequently used at the point of exhaustion. This leads to an increased possibility of people using improper form and subsequently getting hurt. The point of plyometrics is to increase explosive strength, and ideally you should be given a short break (a few seconds at least) between moves to rest, recompose, and get ready for next rep. My second beef is that there is no real warm-up. You are supposed to bring your heart rate up slowly and work up to a point that is still less intense than the main workout. The Insanity warm up fails to do this as you go full tilt from the get go. I mentioned heart rate, which is another beef of mine. How often does Shaun T tell you to check your heart rate? All the time. He makes you think it is something very important to be monitored, which it is for many people. However, not once in the entire program does he actually tell you, even in general concepts, of what you should be looking for. I would hazard that many people doing this program would not know what zone they should be in. Finally, the last gripe (that I can think of) of this program is the use of static stretching at the beginning of the workout. While it used to be the conventional norm to do this, the static, isometric stretch Shaun T does before the “main workout” is actually detrimental. Not only has it shown to reduce performance, but it also promotes joint instability and could lead to injury. Dynamic stretching is much preferred. Here is an article that goes over much of what I talked about.

So would I do the Insanity program again? Possibly, but I would make the following modifications: I would do my own warm-up that brings my heart rate slowly up and that incorporated dynamic stretching. I would treat Shaun T’s "warmup" as part of the main workout. I would skip over the whole static stretching bit. And I would definitely take my time doing any of the jump moves.

Just my 2 cents...

LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
cseca

Quote:
Oh man, stiches on your finger? I whine when I get a paper cut....lol. Good for you for getting back on the wagon though! Just be careful! I've been quite sore this week from taking a few days off last week. But I'm pushing through too.

I'm so glad we are all doing this together:-). It's nice to post about my progress, or sometimes lack thereof, and hear about all of yours too, and not have someone from Beachbody trying to get me to be a coach under them or sell Shakeology....haha.

Good work all!
Hehe... trust me when I say that the Phys Asst at the ER knew in advance that I was a wuss because I told him many times before he stuck me with needles...

I'm glad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloroFiend View Post
Out of curiosity, how feasible is it to do in an apartment? I can't do too much jumping around or heavy impact stuff since I don't want to piss off my neighbors downstairs. P90X is pretty good to go, save for Plyo...that I go downstairs to the workout room and run the video on my iPhone. Are either Insanity or Asylum possible or I would I be downstairs every day?
hmm... I'd say that most of the times you'll be downstairs. There are LOTS of jumping in this program. If not jumping at least jogging type and foot drills. Except for the cardio recovery. No jumping in this dvd.

I don't know about Asylum tho. I don't know if I want to know really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear View Post
I have completed the full Insanity program once and have done individual workouts multiple times. I have very much mixed opinions on the program.

On the positive side, I must say it is a great program for improving cardiovascular conditioning. I find Shaun T motivational and encouraging. Overall, the program does get you in shape like the infomercial says it does. My clothes felt looser and I saw real improvements in the fit tests.

However, the more I learn and experience about proper form and methodology, the more I think the instructor doesn’t really know what he is doing and the potential for injury is needlessly high. My first big beef is that plyometrics (jump training) is frequently used at the point of exhaustion. This leads to an increased possibility of people using improper form and subsequently getting hurt. The point of plyometrics is to increase explosive strength, and ideally you should be given a short break (a few seconds at least) between moves to rest, recompose, and get ready for next rep. My second beef is that there is no real warm-up. You are supposed to bring your heart rate up slowly and work up to a point that is still less intense than the main workout. The Insanity warm up fails to do this as you go full tilt from the get go. I mentioned heart rate, which is another beef of mine. How often does Shaun T tell you to check your heart rate? All the time. He makes you think it is something very important to be monitored, which it is for many people. However, not once in the entire program does he actually tell you, even in general concepts, of what you should be looking for. I would hazard that many people doing this program would not know what zone they should be in. Finally, the last gripe (that I can think of) of this program is the use of static stretching at the beginning of the workout. While it used to be the conventional norm to do this, the static, isometric stretch Shaun T does before the “main workout” is actually detrimental. Not only has it shown to reduce performance, but it also promotes joint instability and could lead to injury. Dynamic stretching is much preferred. Here is an article that goes over much of what I talked about.

So would I do the Insanity program again? Possibly, but I would make the following modifications: I would do my own warm-up that brings my heart rate slowly up and that incorporated dynamic stretching. I would treat Shaun T’s "warmup" as part of the main workout. I would skip over the whole static stretching bit. And I would definitely take my time doing any of the jump moves.

Just my 2 cents...
I always wonder about his type of warmup/stretches. Seems different than lots of other dvds I've done before... thanks for the info.

After getting hurt from ramping up too fast training for a 5k, I learn to really pay attn to my forms and forget speed.
Really appreciate your input on this.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #27
cseca

Well I made it to the "recovery" week...
Although I agree with a lot of the reviews when they say it's misleading to say recovery. It is recovery only because we've been doing some crazy stuff before that...

I hope all you guys are doing well too!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
Burkelands
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear View Post
Finally, the last gripe (that I can think of) of this program is the use of static stretching at the beginning of the workout. While it used to be the conventional norm to do this, the static, isometric stretch Shaun T does before the “main workout” is actually detrimental. Not only has it shown to reduce performance, but it also promotes joint instability and could lead to injury. Dynamic stretching is much preferred. Here is an article that goes over much of what I talked about.
Thanks for the tips. Added some of the dynamic stretches before the videos, and it seems to have helped in not being as sore afterward. Hopefully this will continue past recovery week.

Quote:
Well I made it to the "recovery" week...
Although I agree with a lot of the reviews when they say it's misleading to say recovery. It is recovery only because we've been doing some crazy stuff before that...

I hope all you guys are doing well too!
I agree recovery week was weird, but a welcomed change of pace. I did like how he was go through each drill before doing them, giving a lot of mini-break!

Glad to be finally done with mummy kicks. Thinking I'll do my fit test soon, and then my first max workout later in the day.

Hope everyone is doing well! Keep it up!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
mjlewis23
Mouseketeer

In my final week before recovery!

Burkelands, I was wondering about you. Let us know how the first workout of the second month goes! Call me crazy, but I love the mummy kicks...haha.

I'm kind of disappointed that there has been NO weight loss whatsoever so far, and no noticible slimming of pretty much anything. However, I did take pics last night and my rear end is much higher and smoother than it was when I started...so yay for that!

I'm really hoping I can get rid of some of this unneccessary belly fat soon!

Great job all!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
cseca

Yay everyone!!!
Today was my last day of recovery as well.
Tomorrow is off and then I'll loop on the first month again... urgh...

mjlewis, no weight loss for me as well but my diet has been a mess lately with the stress going on in the house.
I'm p.o-ed but it's noone else's fault but mine

Anyways, burkelands I'm with mjlewis... wanna know what you think about the second month!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: