Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #331
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Well, I don't think I could ever go to Ireland then.
You'd get used to it. It only took us one trip to get over the chips/crisps thing like.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #332
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I know you're not up to it yet but I'm curious about the kids clubs. Did your kids go? Did they enjoy it? Will my DH and I actually be able to keep our Palo reservation? I'm in a bit of disbelief that we could actually have an adult dinner on vacation without paying a small fortune in babysitting...

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #333
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
You'd get used to it. It only took us one trip to get over the chips/crisps thing like.
Ok, you talked me into it. Now I just need to get used to people driving on the wrong side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I know you're not up to it yet but I'm curious about the kids clubs. Did your kids go? Did they enjoy it? Will my DH and I actually be able to keep our Palo reservation? I'm in a bit of disbelief that we could actually have an adult dinner on vacation without paying a small fortune in babysitting...

Amanda
Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself and compromise the integrity of the Trip Report

...sorry, I couldn't get that out with a straight face.
Anyway, yes, Madison and Evan did go to the kid's clubs a few times. We had to drag them out one time for dinner. Another time we got a text message on our Wave phone (basically a cordless stateroom phone that works anywhere on the ship or Castaway Cay) that Madison wanted to be picked up. Turns out she was just hungry.

The kids clubs are for ages 3+, based on your signature all 3 of yours can go for....wait for it....FREE!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #334
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
What if you were sitting in your car on a ferry boat? What happens then?
Certainly nothing that resembles sleep.

I’ve been on a good number of ferries ranging in load capacity from about 10 vehicles to near 300. As soon as our car's transmission is in park and the break is set I’m off like a shot to explore the ship, watch the water and see what kind of mayhem I can get into.

Sleep don’t happen.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #335
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Certainly nothing that resembles sleep.

I’ve been on a good number of ferries ranging in load capacity from about 10 vehicles to near 300. As soon as our car's transmission is in park and the break is set I’m off like a shot to explore the ship, watch the water and see what kind of mayhem I can get into.

Sleep don’t happen.
I haven't been on nearly as many....but yeah, I kind of did the same thing.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #336
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

A Morning Walk-About

Whenever we vacation with Bambi's parents, I exchange pictures with them at the end of the trip - downloading everything from their camera to my laptop and burning a copy of all of our pictures to a CD for them. Looking through their pictures, it appears that they were up early on Halloween Morning and did a little walk-about on the ship. This seems like a pretty good place to share some of those pictures...

The Atrium on decks 3, 4, and 5.

The Vista Gallery. All sorts of Disney Art for sale. Think "The Art of Disney" stores, but floating in the ocean. And no, that doesn't make the prices any cheaper. There were several rooms filled with wonderful artwork, but this was the only picture taken.

The adult pool. I like the idea of a pool around your bar stool. It doesn't hurt nearly as much when you fall off. The downside is that you sit there drinking next to a fat hairy man in a Speedo. And thus the reason I don't hang out at the adult pool.

The Mickey pool. Yes, this one is much more my style.

Sunrise over Deck 12, but under the AquaDuck

The Mickey Slide. Alas, I was too big to utilize it.

Deck 11 all spruced up for a day of swimming. You can see a bit of the Mickey Pool beyond the chairs in the middle of the deck.

A cargo ship as we're approaching Nassau.

The lighthouse at the edge of Nassau Harbor.

By this time Bambi and the kids and I had woke up to see us pulling into Nassau, so we quickly dressed and headed up to Cabana's to meet Grandma & Grandpa for breakfast.

The Dream pulled into the harbor, then used her side thrusters to spin around in a tight little circle. This ship can turn on a dime with 9 cents change.

Once turned aournd, I can only imagine the captain leaning on one arm sticking out the side window, working the steering wheel with one hand and backing us perfectly into our parking spot. I later found out that the ship is controlled by a joystick, making my little imaginary scenario moot. But still fun to think about.

The flight of a fine feathered friend. Or as Harry Doyle calls them, "Rats with wings"

And the ever-so bright Festival Place of Nassau. I'm glad I don't live in an area with a Home Owners Association. They'd probably get all upset when I paint my house these colors.

Well, that about does it for this morning's photo tour. I'll try to get an actual update written today.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #337
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Great pictures! Makes me miss the Dream.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #338
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Great pictures! Makes me miss the Dream.
Me too.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #339
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Halloween Morning

The bright, airy Cabana's buffet that we had remembered from lunch yesterday was now....gone. It's as if all sorts of creatures of the night rose from their watery graves in the Caribbean and set up shop on Deck 11.

But, they brought candy, so they're cool in my book.

We loaded up our plates from the generous and expansive breakfast buffet and headed out the back of the restaurant to grab one of the tables right on the railing, overlooking Nassau. But of course, with all that candy around, who can resist a sucker for dessert?

But after breakfast and candy time, we had to brave the journey back through Cabanas to get to the day's destination. And if I didn't make it clear enough before, it was really, really scary!

Ewwwwwww....creepy crawlies all over meeeeeee!!!

Anyway....

We had made it - for the first time in their young lives, Madison and Evan were about to set foot in a foreign land. Just a short elevator ride and a few steps down the gangplank and we could put their passports to use and they would officially become International Travelers. Every parent's dream of showing their children the world would come true.

But we went to the pool instead.

That's right, we used the morning to stay on the ship, swim in the pools, ride the water slides, and of course, ride the AquaDuck! Why? Because everyone else got off the ship. Simple math says that if there are 4,000 people on a ship, and 3000 of them get off to buy cheap jewelry and booze, then the lines at the water attractions are much, much shorter! (Wow, using math twice in the same TR. I must be slipping)

Speaking of lines, it's about time we hopped into one for the most hyped attraction at sea:

Disney billed it as the world's first aqua coaster at sea. Starting high up in the aft funnel, you load onto 2-person inflatable rafts and face...the open ocean. Yup, instead of sliding down the length of the ship, you start by going off the edge, with nothing between your butt and ocean water a hundred or so feet below but an inflatable tube and some acrylic tube. The crew member counts you down, pushes the launch button and sends you on your way.

After making a complete loop out over the water, you are sent along the port side of the ship, taking in the views of the pool deck to your right and the ocean to your left. Suddenly you drop, then are pushed back up a hill by jets of water that carry you into the dark abyss of the forward funnel. Cool neon lights break the darkness and you round the bend, the emerge along the starboard side of the ship, into the aft funnel, finally ending directly below where you loaded.

And the kicker is - we weren't even sure the kids would be able to do the AquaDuck when we booked the cruise. We realize that Madison might make the minimum height, but it would take a small miracle (and a major growth spurt) for Evan to even come close. We debated. We hemmed and hawed. We thought it over. We discussed it ad nauseum. Do we cancel the cruise? Rebook it for when the kids are taller? Go anyway and have them see it for 4 days and not be able to ride it? Evan had been dying to ride the AquaDuck ever since he saw a picture of it. It would break his little heart to not be able to ride.

Enter: Pixie Dust.

A few weeks after her maiden voyage, Disney revised the height requirements for the Dream. Instead of having to be 46" tall, a 42" tall child can ride as long as they are with an adult! The heavens have answered our call! We're going on the cruise!

Cameras were not allowed on the AquaDuck, but you can clearly see Madison riding with Grandpa...

...And Evan riding with Grandma

(Trust me, I'd know his feet anywhere)

Yes, Bambi and I rode it with them too. Well, I did anyway. Bambi was 17 weeks pregnant. So of course she didn't ride it at all.

After a few rides on the AquaDuck, the kids decided to check out Nemo's Reef - the water play area for little sailors.

And then....this happened. I have no explanation. I tried, but I just can't come up with anything.

All in all, it was a great decision to stay on the ship for the morning. The pool wasn't crowded, the lines for the slides were minimal, and we walked back into Cabanas for an early (and already paid for!) lunch. It was then a quick elevator ride back to our staterooms to get changed.

And speaking of elevators...
The bank of elevators at mid-ship have two that are glass, overlooking the atrium on decks 3,4 and 5. But from deck 6 to 12, Disney had a little fun with the inside of the elevator shaft - painting famous Disney flying scenes in them for your viewing pleasure.

Up Next: Dry Land!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #340
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

I've never been on a cruise before let alone a Disney cruise...but your TR is making me interested!

But then there's that hole ship rockin' sea sick thing that makes me worry. Just not sure if spending $5000 for a family of 4 to have me sit on a rocking ship, puking my guts out!

Enjoying the TR Barry....Keep Calm...Carry On

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #341
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
There were several rooms filled with wonderful artwork, but this was the only picture taken.
That was a mistake. You'd have come out well ahead to have taken pictures of this pricey artwork. Just get home, blow it up, and have a $200 picture printed for $4.99

Quote:
The adult pool. I like the idea of a pool around your bar stool. It doesn't hurt nearly as much when you fall off.
I don't know about that... the water doesn't look very deep.

Quote:
The Dream pulled into the harbor, then used her side thrusters to spin around in a tight little circle. This ship can turn on a dime with 9 cents change.
Impressive.

Quote:
Once turned aournd, I can only imagine the captain leaning on one arm sticking out the side window, working the steering wheel with one hand and backing us perfectly into our parking spot.
Did it have a back up beeper?

Quote:
I later found out that the ship is controlled by a joystick, making my little imaginary scenario moot. But still fun to think about.
You just ruined the entire mystique of the cruise. Thanks.

Quote:

You see all those Reese's packages???

You wouldn't if I was on that ship.

Quote:
We loaded up our plates from the generous and expansive breakfast buffet
Wait a minute... breakfast buffet, or candy buffet?

Quote:
And if I didn't make it clear enough before, it was really, really scary!
Yeah, I can't believe they have let a ship so new get covered in spider webs like that. Isn't that a health concern in a dining area?

Quote:
Simple math says that if there are 4,000 people on a ship, and 3000 of them get off to buy cheap jewelry and booze, then the lines at the water attractions are much, much shorter! (Wow, using math twice in the same TR. I must be slipping)
Wow, I'm impressed.

Quote:
(Trust me, I'd know his feet anywhere)
Ok... I guess I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
And then....this happened. I have no explanation. I tried, but I just can't come up with anything.

You farted before you got out of the pool, didn't you?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #342
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
Ok, you talked me into it. Now I just need to get used to people driving on the wrong side of the road.
Yeah there's that to. But my dad managed to drive in Florida so I'm sure you can manage to drive your crew around Ireland.

I did think of a few more spelling differences we have over here but the only one I can remember now is humour we put a u in that as well.
Oh and we do our dates differently so when you type 6/5 for 5th of June we would type 5-6
On the plus side Dublin got it's own Disney store last year with exclusive dublin/irish themed Disney merchandise

Luvin the updates as well btw!

Last edited by petals; 06-05-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #343
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Cabanas looks so fun all decorated for Halloween! I may have to try out the AquaDuck on the Fantasy next year since I didn't get a chance on the Dream. Love the elevator pictures, too!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #344
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
I've never been on a cruise before let alone a Disney cruise...but your TR is making me interested!

[shameless plug ]
Need more encouragement? You can read along with my TR on the subject.
Hay I even finally got around to updating it (after a month of work interference ).

I figure two more updates and I’ll have that one done.
[/shameless plug ]

Oh wait…
I’m supposed to be commenting on Barry’s writing aren’t I?

OK…

Quote:
The bright, airy Cabana's buffet that we had remembered from lunch yesterday was now....gone. It's as if all sorts of creatures of the night rose from their watery graves in the Caribbean and set up shop on Deck 11.

Easily bribed I see…

Quote:
We loaded up our plates from the generous and expansive breakfast buffet and headed out the back of the restaurant to grab one of the tables right on the railing, overlooking Nassau. But of course, with all that candy around, who can resist a sucker for dessert?

With all that candy around, I do believe you could have done better then to settle for a mere sucker.

Quote:
Just a short elevator ride and a few steps down the gangplank and we could put their passports to use and they would officially become International Travelers. Every parent's dream of showing their children the world would come true.

But we went to the pool instead
Smart!
Nassau is not quite “International Travel”. Heck, it’s not even Disney.
Better to hit the amenities on the ship while all the other “suckers” or learning this fact.
I’m sure y’all will check it out later on in the day…

And not miss much for following that plan.

Quote:
That's right, we used the morning to stay on the ship, swim in the pools, ride the water slides, and of course, ride the AquaDuck! Why? Because everyone else got off the ship. Simple math says that if there are 4,000 people on a ship, and 3000 of them get off to buy cheap jewelry and booze, then the lines at the water attractions are much, much shorter! (Wow, using math twice in the same TR. I must be slipping)
Different wording… same result… FUN!

Quote:
Speaking of lines, it's about time we hopped into one for the most hyped attraction at sea:
And the verdict in your humble opinion?

Quote:
And the kicker is - we weren't even sure the kids would be able to do the AquaDuck when we booked the cruise.
O wait… that might affect the opinion.

Quote:

A few weeks after her maiden voyage, Disney revised the height requirements for the Dream. Instead of having to be 46" tall, a 42" tall child can ride as long as they are with an adult! The heavens have answered our call!
Ahhhh… a good thing… a very good thing indeed.
That puts the trip back on track (or in tube as the case may be).
So again I ask…

the verdict in your humble opinion?

Quote:
After a few rides on the AquaDuck, the kids decided to check out Nemo's Reef - the water play area for little sailors.

Wait a minute…
What did y’all think of the most hyped attraction at sea?
Hype… or Attraction?

Quote:
All in all, it was a great decision to stay on the ship for the morning. The pool wasn't crowded, the lines for the slides were minimal, and we walked back into Cabanas for an early (and already paid for!) lunch.

Because, the only way to see Nassau in the morning
is from the lido deck of the Dream (better to see this town In the afternoon)

Ya’ done good.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #345
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Whenever we vacation with Bambi's parents, I exchange pictures with them at the end of the trip - downloading everything from their camera to my laptop and burning a copy of all of our pictures to a CD for them.
I seem to remember you doing that for other families you vacation with as well.

Quote:
The downside is that you sit there drinking next to a fat hairy man in a Speedo. And thus the reason I don't hang out at the adult pool.
You've just insured that I will never go to an adult pool.

Quote:
That is pretty awesome. Did he try a Crazy Ivan?

(I know, I keep recycling that joke. But it still amuses me, so there.)

Quote:
Once turned aournd, I can only imagine the captain leaning on one arm sticking out the side window, working the steering wheel with one hand and backing us perfectly into our parking spot. I later found out that the ship is controlled by a joystick, making my little imaginary scenario moot. But still fun to think about.
Maybe they send a guy down to the dock to give hand signals in the rear-view mirror as he backs in.

Quote:
It's as if all sorts of creatures of the night rose from their watery graves in the Caribbean and set up shop on Deck 11.
NO!

Quote:
YES!

Quote:
But of course, with all that candy around, who can resist a sucker for dessert?
I suppose it's appropriate to say you guys ARE suckers for dessert.

Quote:
We had made it - for the first time in their young lives, Madison and Evan were about to set foot in a foreign land. Just a short elevator ride and a few steps down the gangplank and we could put their passports to use and they would officially become International Travelers. Every parent's dream of showing their children the world would come true.

But we went to the pool instead.

Quote:
Makes sense to me. Having read up on Nassau, I wouldn't feel too guilty.

Quote:

A few weeks after her maiden voyage, Disney revised the height requirements for the Dream. Instead of having to be 46" tall, a 42" tall child can ride as long as they are with an adult! The heavens have answered our call! We're going on the cruise!
Awesome!

What's your secret? We could use some Pixie Dust around here.

Quote:
Cameras were not allowed on the AquaDuck, but you can clearly see Madison riding with Grandpa...

...And Evan riding with Grandma
Clearly.

Quote:
Yes, Bambi and I rode it with them too. Well, I did anyway. Bambi was 17 weeks pregnant. So of course she didn't ride it at all.
I believe you. That could be anybody's feet, Your Honor.

So is the Aqua Duck awesome?

Quote:
I think Andy diagnosed this one correctly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: