Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #76
disneymomoffour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurg278 View Post
My question is... can you go back on the ship after the race to shower before going to the beach with the rest of the family.???

Also, is there a place for your family to watch you finish the race.???
The start/finish (same spot) is marked near the bicycle rentals. Your family can definately wait there!
1990 1st trip to Disney world-Offsite1991 Disneyland College Program-Castmember1994 Disney world Honeymoon-Offsite1999 All-Star Music2000 Disneyland2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Old Key West2003 Old Key West/Grand Floridian2004 Port Orleans Riverside/Grand Floridian 2005 Disneyland2006, 2007 Polynesian 2008 Disney Cruise-Wonder/Disneyland
2009 Disney Cruise-Wonder2011 Port Orleans Riverside2012 Disney Cruise-Double Dip- Dream
2013 Port Orleans Riverside
disneymomoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #77
Who's your Mickey?
Ruler of the Disney Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Vegas View Post
I'm glad I checked in today my Cruise sets sail June 20th, I'm a runner and so are my kids so this will be added to the list. I have an addiction to medals.
You may need to adjust your definition of medal. You get a plastic mickey head with a DCL logo on a red ribbon that says "Winner" on it. The course is flat and HOT. There is little to no shade along the course.

Hide the rum...
Who's your Mickey? is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #78
disneymomoffour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's your Mickey? View Post
You may need to adjust your definition of medal. You get a plastic mickey head with a DCL logo on a red ribbon that says "Winner" on it. The course is flat and HOT. There is little to no shade along the course.
True statement. Still my dh, ds, dd and I still found the medal fun to get as a souvenir though! :-) the 5k is free, so why not? (and yes, definitely hot!)
1990 1st trip to Disney world-Offsite1991 Disneyland College Program-Castmember1994 Disney world Honeymoon-Offsite1999 All-Star Music2000 Disneyland2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Old Key West2003 Old Key West/Grand Floridian2004 Port Orleans Riverside/Grand Floridian 2005 Disneyland2006, 2007 Polynesian 2008 Disney Cruise-Wonder/Disneyland
2009 Disney Cruise-Wonder2011 Port Orleans Riverside2012 Disney Cruise-Double Dip- Dream
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #79
bridget
DIS Veteran

Were the medals when you were on the Dream? We've done it before on the Dream and didn't get medals, just a bib. Medals would be cool
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #80
disneymomoffour
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget View Post
Were the medals when you were on the Dream? We've done it before on the Dream and didn't get medals, just a bib. Medals would be cool
Yep! Just last week. They are plasic, and shaped like Mickey with a red ribbon that says "winner." They are also used in the D lounge for family game show winners, so you may see them around the ship.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #81
Who's your Mickey?
Ruler of the Disney Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget View Post
From the sounds of more recent posts on the CC5K, it appears that DCL is trying to upgrade the event and make it more uniform across the fleet. Older posts have indicated that the swag for the run, and the run experience itself, has varied alot from trip to trip. It now sounds as like they have developed a routine process for running the event.

I've run it twice, my DW 3 times. Her 1st time, they met on the dock, there were no bibs or finisher award and the course was unmarked. My 1st time (her 2nd) we still met on the dock, but we got bibs and a group photo with Daisy at the starting line (you had to buy the photo, but it was an offered option not available on my DW 1st CC5K) and the course was still unmarked. We ran it again in April and we met in one of the lounges to get our bibs. After sign up, we were taken off the boat via the crew gangway where we were greeted by Goofy and Pluto and walked to the start line. We had a group photo with Donald and we were on our way. They had added a time clock (no timing chips, just a clock) and route markers along the way (it was the same course, they just added signage). There were 2 CMs at the finish handing out finisher awards (the aforementioned plastic mickey head "medals"). There were also CC5K t-shirts available for sale at the t-shirt shop next to the start/finish line. Overall, I think they have done a great job improving the CC5K experience especially since it's a FREE race.

Hide the rum...
Who's your Mickey? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #82
katcarter
Earning My Ears

I had a blast running the CC 5k --the only thing I would change is I had my family wait for me in our cabin --- I did not think it would take that long ---- we did not leave the ship till at least 8:45 then we took a pic with Goofy (which I bought and love) and then a 10-15 min walk to the start -finish line!
Did the run (hot but lots of water stops) then the 10-15 min walk back to the ship and a security check!!!!
I did not get back to the ship till after 10 and we had a stingray feeding at 11 ---I had read before the cruise that the 5k began at the dock so I thought I was going to be ok time wise ---boy was I wrong!
I would do the CC 5k again ---I would just have the family meet me on the beach to save time!!
Go for it! I received a bib, a medal, and a certificate!!! I bought the shirt to encourage my sister to go on the next cruise and earn her shirt!!! LOL
katcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #83
pixiedust1216
Earning My Ears

This information is good to know. My hubby and I ran the CC5k back in October of 2010 and didn't get a certificate or medal or anything else. It was very casual and the course was verbally explained to us by a cast member. I'm glad to know that it is more of a real race now with a certificate and/or medal. We will try to run it next week when we go on the Dream. Not used to running in humidity so we will see how it goes...even if we need to walk most of it!

pixiedust1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #84
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Hoping I can do this during our July cruise. Have to either coordinate around fishing at the first CC stop or our family cabana at the 2nd.

Well that and my bum knee/hip.
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #85
BMICKEY
Mouseketeer

I am so excited to do this! I am currently training for my 1/2 marathon at DL in Sept. I'll be good and trained by the time we go on our cruise in October! I am trying to talk the rest of the family into doing it with me since I would love a buddy to run with! I will definately bring my iPod since I cannont run in silence - the music pushes me along.

I really hope they do have the certificates and medals. My BFF ran it in 2010 and only got the certificate....

AUGUST 7, 2012 - Club 33 and a Tour of Walt's Apartment! SEPTEMBER 2, 2012 - First 1/2 Marathon at Disneyland and Club 33
Disneyland - 30+ times First visit to CLUB 33 - February 2012 WDW - 1989 & 2008
Magic - 2007 Eastern & 2009 Western Wonder - 2010 Bahamas Joined DVC - 2007
DM DD DS(16) DS(13)
BMICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #86
Ello Poppet
Mouseketeer

kids club

Hi is the kids club already set up at this time so I can drop them off there before the race?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #87
MagicFan75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesm117 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to register for the CC 5K? It sounds great. We've done a ton of 5K's at WDW and would love to add this "medal" to our collections.
Thanks,
Monica

40 days and counting
I just did it in late May and you just meet up with the group in Diversions at 8:45AM, which is where you sign in and pick up a bib number. You walk down together and take a tram to the starting line. The Crew member goes over the route with you on a map and the race starts at 9:15. It was laid back, casual and a lot of fun! I'm really glad I did it.

MagicFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #88
BalooHoo
Mouseketeer

I want to echo those who posted about the heat and humidity. Please be careful and keep your expectations and pace slower than usual. When I ran it, my pace was around 30 seconds per mile slower than my usual easy run pace (and probably at least 90 seconds slower than a 5K race pace), and I was still completely wiped out. As others have said, it's just a laid back run rather than a race, so don't push yourself for no reason. Believe me, you're not going to be setting any personal records in this heat. Just enjoy the island and the scenery, and have fun!

June 1974 Contemporary // July 1975 Disneyland // June 1978 Offsite // Aug 1979 Contemporary // July 1983 Offsite // July 1986 Contemporary // Aug 1991 Caribbean Beach // Apr 1992 Offsite // Aug 1992 Offsite // Mar 1993 Caribbean Beach // Sep 1993 Offsite // Sep 1994 Beach Club (Honeymoon) // Oct 1996 Boardwalk // Nov 1996 Disneyland // Sep 1998 Beach Club, Dixie Landings // Dec 1999 - Jan 2000 Contemporary // May 2001 Swan // Sep 2003 Old Key West // Sep 2004 Beach Club Villas (10th Anniversary) // Sep 2005 Boardwalk Villas // Oct 2005 Wilderness Lodge // Dec 2006 Boardwalk Villas, Swan // June 2007 DCL Wonder, Swan // Jan 2008 Boardwalk Villas, Swan // Aug 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas // Feb 2009 Caribbean Beach // Oct 2009 Bay Lake Tower, DCL Magic Western // Aug 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter, Swan // Aug 2011 Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, DCL Dream // June 2012 DCL Magic NY // Aug 2012 Waldorf Astoria Orlando // June 2013 Grand Californian // March 2014 DCL Wonder Western // Oct 2015 DCL Wonder Mexico
BalooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #89
gopfans
Earning My Ears

We did the 5k on the Fantasy on Friday. While I was glad I did it, the heat and humidity was awful. I have felt better after running a half than I did this little 3 miler. I had to walk more than I would have liked. I just couldn't breathe. We got the bibs and medals but no certificates. The kids club was open so some families were dropping off their kids. Our oldest is old enough to stay with our younger ones so we left our kids still sleeping on the ship. We were so gross and sweaty there is no way I could have not gone back to the ship to shower and change.
gopfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #90
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

App question

Hello All! I am just getting started in running ( ok - I'm really just walking at a rate of 3.5-4 mph for 2-4 miles a day so far, but want to start bumping it up to a jog, and work my way up from there) And I am interested in starting with the CC 5k in 2013 (with the hopes of working up to doing the Coast to Coast Half in 2014) I see a lot of people mention the Couch to 5k apps, and I had been looking at those, but I see there are a lot of different apps for the iPhone that say Couch to 5k. For those of you who have used them, which one(s) do you recommend? (or NOT recommend ) Thanks!
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: