Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #136
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

More on the surrey bike & a life update

Before I move on to our next day, (which I have all typed up but I only have a few more minutes right now since I'm sitting at karate), I want to tell the rest of the surrey bike story.

So we get the bike & find out that DH & I have to do all the work... we should have quit right there but we went on, how hard could it be?

We made it most of the way around but when we got to that bridge by the Swolphin, before the big Boardwalk sign and we were struggling. I was pedaling my hardest but I was laughing. Apparently Tim, as he was turning red, thought I wasn't pedaling my hardest and he yelled at me. Well I wasn't having any of that so I stopped pedaling. That's when we had to get off and walk. Oops.

And in a life update...
Life has been super busy here! I’m finishing up my 5th year as co-president/president of our school PTO. We had elections a few weeks ago & we voted in our new co-presidents. I was presented with a really nice gift signed by all of the students at our school at the end of the meeting. It’s bittersweet but I’m ready to move on. I’ll still be involved with the PTO but will need more time to focus on the boys next year as Alex transitions to middle school & school work has been getting more challenging for Zach. We’ve been attending transition meetings at our school & the middle school. I’ve also been attending special ed meetings, working on Alex’s IEP & transition. I’m still nervous but feeling really good about how things are going to go. The new team seems really great!

We’ve also been working on our plans for our little trip to New York City this summer. In August, we’ll be going to New York to see a Yankees game in their new stadium. Tim is a life-long Yankees fan and has been to many games, but has never been to the new stadium. The boys love baseball and like his dad, Alex is a Yankees fan. Zach & I are Red Sox fans but are excited to go to NY & see a game in the new stadium. So far our plans look like this:

We are leaving on Thursday, August 2nd (a day we added so we could have the full day Friday to do some things that weren’t fitting in our schedule). Alex has summer school until noon so the plan is to pick him up right at noon & head to NYC. As of now, the plan is to drive all the way into NYC but we are considering parking somewhere in Southern CT and taking the train. We just aren’t sure where to park & if it’s safe to leave the car all weekend. Tim doesn’t mind driving into the city so we’ll see... Our hotel charges $80/night for a minivan but Tim thinks we can park elsewhere for less… which is fine as long as it’s a secure parking area. Thursday night is open, we’ll probably have eaten in the car so we may do a little exploring/shopping and grab dessert somewhere.

On Friday, August 3rd, we have plans to take a Yankee Stadium at noon. This is the only day we can do this as they don’t offer tours on game days. The tours are limited to 12-1:40 so we have tickets for the first tour at noon. We plan to get lunch somewhere before the tour so we can take off right after the tour (which lasts 45 minutes – one hour) so we can go to the Museum of Natural History. The museum is only open until 5:45. If we can get there by 2:00 we’ll have almost 3 hours, which doesn’t seem like enough time but at least we’ll be able to /get an overview. We need to figure out where we want to eat for dinner & maybe make a reservation somewhere. We’ll probably do some more exploring after dinner.

Saturday is our big game day! These are the only plans we have for Saturday.

On Sunday, we’ll check out and go to the 9/11 Memorial when it opens at 10am. I need to go online & reserve those tickets once we know our plans are firm. They are free, but limited. I don’t think we’ll spend too long at the memorial but it will be good for the kids to see it so they can refer back to it when they learn more about it in school. I think we’ll try to get an early lunch or snack after the memorial. We were trying to figure out how to see the Statue of Liberty without actually taking the several hours it would require to do a real tour. The boys just wouldn’t be able to handle that. Also, the statue itself is under renovation so you can’t go inside right now. That won’t be done until fall. Brook (brookelizabeth) told me about these boat tours that take you out and give you a good view of the statue. When I researched, I found out about these speedboats that are only about a 30 minute ride. I think the combination of a short ride, speed & getting to see the statue will be perfect for our crew. There are two options, one that doesn’t take reservations but starts at 10am and one that takes reservations starting at noon. 11am would be perfect for our plans but not having a reservation makes me nervous so I think we’ll do the lunch/snack thing after the memorial & take the 12:00 speedboat ride. Then we’ll head out of the city.

On our way home, we plan to show the kids some spots in Greenwich, where Tim grew up, and in Stamford, where Tim & lived for a few years after college, before we moved back to NH. That's it for our NY trip plans!

The rest of this wet weekend will involve watching Alex swim in the Special Olympics! He swam yesterday & got a gold medal in his 50 freestyle. We're headed to the pool for three more events in just a little while.

I'll be back with my next real update later today or tomorrow! Have a good weekend!!

And karate's over so no time to proof read! Sorry for any typos!

Last edited by DisMomAmy; 06-02-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #137
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We did the surrey bike thing 2 years ago. We won't be doing that again lol
Although DS14 then 12 was able to pedal it didn't help very much! It is a LOT of work. We didn't last the 1/2 hour either.

Love your framed pics. I just got the same BC and GF pic this year. I got the Poly one last year. Every time we stay somewhere I'll get a new one. It won't be for a while though
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #138
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
We did the surrey bike thing 2 years ago. We won't be doing that again lol
Although DS14 then 12 was able to pedal it didn't help very much! It is a LOT of work. We didn't last the 1/2 hour either.

Love your framed pics. I just got the same BC and GF pic this year. I got the Poly one last year. Every time we stay somewhere I'll get a new one. It won't be for a while though
I'm so glad we aren't the only ones who had trouble with the surrey bike!

I'll have to pick up a picture or two at the BW when I'm there in the fall to complete my collection!

Sorry your next trip won't be for a while.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #139
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Enjoyed your update! It's too bad the weather did not cooperate more for your resort day. SAB is certainly more fun in the sun.

The nighttime pictures from your balony were awesome!

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Cape May meal more- we have been twice. The first time was on our arrival night, and we discovered that a buffet was not the best choice when we were exhausted. We enjoyed it much more when we planned a meal there mid-week.

Too funny about you and Doreen and the noodles. You are not the first (nor will you be the last) to collect them and then forget to take them to the pool. The poor things, they they think they are going to the big dance, and then... It's lonliness in the room.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #141
MEK
DIS Veteran

I used to ride bikes, like almost competitively, so its hard to imagine it being that difficult. But those things probably weigh a ton and moving a bike forward depends on how light the frame is. I'm sure even those small hills around the boardwalk can turn into mountains when you are on something that heavy.

Congrats to Alex for his gold medal.

Your NYC plans sound so fun. $80 for parking. Yikes!

One of the things on my bucket list is seeing the 9/11 memorial. I did not realize that you actually need tickets.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #142
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Your NYC plans look like fun

Sorry the bike ride ended up being not so fun

can't wait to read about the rest of your trip
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #143
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Love the Surrey bike story. I decided long ago that I am just too darn old for one.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #144
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Enjoyed your update! It's too bad the weather did not cooperate more for your resort day. SAB is certainly more fun in the sun.

The nighttime pictures from your balony were awesome!

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Cape May meal more- we have been twice. The first time was on our arrival night, and we discovered that a buffet was not the best choice when we were exhausted. We enjoyed it much more when we planned a meal there mid-week.

Too funny about you and Doreen and the noodles. You are not the first (nor will you be the last) to collect them and then forget to take them to the pool. The poor things, they they think they are going to the big dance, and then... It's lonliness in the room.
I loved our view from the balcony! It was great no matter what the weather was outside!

Cape May might have been good on a different night... I know they serve different things on different nights of the week too.

I wish the weather had been better too... I'm sure we would have enjoyed the pool more & probably would have used the noodles more too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
well this doesn't inspire me to want to get a surrey bike! Pretty funny story though!

Busy busy you are but all good things
Surrey bike = bad!

Only two more weeks to go until school lets out for summer... then things should slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I used to ride bikes, like almost competitively, so its hard to imagine it being that difficult. But those things probably weigh a ton and moving a bike forward depends on how light the frame is. I'm sure even those small hills around the boardwalk can turn into mountains when you are on something that heavy.

Congrats to Alex for his gold medal.

Your NYC plans sound so fun. $80 for parking. Yikes!

One of the things on my bucket list is seeing the 9/11 memorial. I did not realize that you actually need tickets.
The bike was pretty ridiculous! Down hill was fun though.

Three more gold medals yesterday, so Alex has a total of four from the weekend!

I didn't know about the 9/11 Memorial tickets either until Brook filled me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
Your NYC plans look like fun

Sorry the bike ride ended up being not so fun

can't wait to read about the rest of your trip
I'm really looking forward to NYC. There's so much to do, four days is nowhere near enough time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Love the Surrey bike story. I decided long ago that I am just too darn old for one.
I'm just too darn out of shape for one!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #145
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Moving Day

Day 4: Sunday 4/22 – Epcot Day!

This morning we were up bright & early but all had a good night’s sleep. We all got ready & finished packing up our things. We were planning to put all of our bags into the van, except for our refrigerated items, which we would leave in a cooler with bell services. Today we would be moving to Sheraton Vistana Villages, our 2BR home away from home for the next 7 nights. We were really hoping to be in the St. Augustine section at Vistana. I’d gotten a text message from Heidi the day before that they had checked in & were able to get St. Augustine! I was crossing my fingers all day hoping we would be as lucky.

Once we got checked out, we headed to Epcot!!

You can see it was still overcast but not raining!

I love entering Epcot through the International Gateway! My notes show we were at the IG at 8:45 but had to wait a few minutes because the turnstiles weren’t working. Luckily they got them fixed in no time & we were on our way in.

Continued...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #146
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Moving Day

Hey! We saw that movie yesterday! Oh and by the way, today was Earth Day!

On our way to Future World, we grabbed a KP FP. We wanted either Mexico or Norway (the only two we hadn’t done) & the CM hooked us up with exactly that! We got Mexico. We were getting our KP FP right around 9:00.

Our plan for rope drop?

Zach was very nervous to find out if he’d be tall enough to go upside down. We thought he would be tall enough but only being measured by a CM would tell for sure!

Looks tall enough, right? Nope! He measured himself going into the queue (that’s the picture above) but then when we got to the front of the line, they measured the boys and handed Alex a red card & Zach a purple card (plus one for each parent). Zach thought he’d made it but Alex noticed the different colored cards and knew what that meant. He spoke up and asked the CM. The CM said he was just under. Zach lost it! He buried his face in my shirt & started bawling. I told the CM that we thought he was tall enough & he was looking forward to finally being to go upside down… so he measured him again! And said he was tall enough! Woo hoo!! But now I was nervous… was he really tall enough? Would his little stick figure body slide out of the seat?

I made him ride with me and everything was just fine! Zach & I got finished before Tim & Alex so I was able to get some shots of their ride:

After SoAT, we headed to Mission: Space! But first we had to take a bathroom break & check out Test Track. So sad!

We couldn’t ride TT, but the sun was starting to come out!

On to Mission: Space! Alex was excited to assign us our jobs.

After Mission: Space we headed toward Soarin’.

Continued...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #147
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Moving Day

It was snack time! On our way to The Land, we bought a popsicle for Alex & then we stopped at Sunshine Seasons for the rest of us. It was about 10:15 so we didn’t want to eat too much – we had lunch at noon at Teppan Edo with Heidi & her family! Tim & I shared a breakfast platter & Zach got a cinnamon roll.

After our snack break, we got in line for Soarin’. When we were lined up on our little triangles, there was a man next to us on a scooter. The man struck up a conversation with Alex asking him if he’d been on the ride before. They chatted for a minute but Alex looked a little confused. Finally, pointing to the man’s scooter, Alex says to him, “You know you can’t take that on there.” It was pretty cute because I imagine what was going on in his head as he tried to figure out how the man would ride Soarin’ in his scooter. The man explained that he would get into a seat then they would park his scooter for him. Soarin’ really needs an update! I hope it’s next after Test Track is done.

Living with the Land was on my list of new rides for the boys but the line was pretty long so we moved on to another new ride… Figment!

The part at the end when the song starts up & it’s really loud scared Alex but then he was laughing about it. We played for a few minutes in the play area:

Zach made this to email home:

We also ran into Heidi & her gang. We said hello & good-bye as we’d be seeing them soon. It was about 11:20 so we had a little time to kill before lunch. We decided to head to Japan via Mexico.

The clouds were back.

Alex had his Guide to the Magic book & wanted to get started on his stamps. We bought Zach a passport in Mexico. We also rode Donald’s boat ride.

When we came out of Mexico it was raining again and about 11:45. We threw on our ponchos & headed straight to Japan.

Continued...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #148
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Moving Day

Dodging raindrops & puddles, we made it to Japan just before noon. Then we had to de-poncho & fold them up to put them away. We made it inside & Heidi's gang was there waiting for us. We checked in & were seated in no time. As always it was a great meal! It’s become one of my favorites too because it is so consistently good.

Alex even tried his chopsticks!

It was fun sharing a table with people we knew & especially fun to hang out with Heidi & her family. After lunch we said good-bye, but not for long as we’d be seeing them again at the resort. We had a few things left to do at Epcot, then we’d be going to check-in at Vistana Villages.

When we headed back outside after lunch, the sun had returned! So it was time for dessert!

First we visited the Kidcot station in Japan. Then we split up. I took Zach & his Kaki Gori to Mexico to do his KP mission while Tim took Alex around to the various Kidcot stations between Japan & Mexico.
Pictures as we walked:

This Haiti area was pretty cool:

Continued...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #149
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - Moving Day

Tim & Alex hadn’t arrived yet so we moved on to do a KP mission in Norway. This one was hard!

Tim & Alex showed up just in time. There was one clue that Zach was supposed to ask a CM for some information but he was being too shy so Alex volunteered to do it for him! Alex also had a gift for Zach – he had bought him a little karate guy in the Japan store. Then we took a little break from our mission to ride Maelstrom since we were right there next to the entrance. After Maelstrom we finished our mission (which only took a few more minutes) and headed back to the Beach Club through the IG. We still had our keys so we could have gone back up to the lounge but we were anxious to get to Vistana. I was really hoping we’d be in the St. Augustine section! I hadn’t had the best luck requesting specific sections in the two previous years we’d stayed at Vistana Resort. I was hoping Vistana Villages would be different! I had also hoped to say hello to Teena (a greeter at the BC & regular on the YC/BC FAQ thread. But unfortunately she was tied up and I didn’t want to ask the gang to wait for me to say hello to a stranger. We collected our cooler bag from bell services & made our way out to the parking lot saying good-bye to the Beach Club.

Up next: Checking in at Vistana Villages... Would we get St. Augustine? Would we be near Heidi?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #150
KatMark
DIS Veteran

WOW....massive update.

I love the pictures of World Showcase from the International Gateway entrance (so nice to get pictures without a million people in them).

Sounds like a very productive and fun day at Epcot.

That was sweet of Alex to buy Zach a gift.

Teppan Edo is always on my mind, but we do hibachi with Nicki and Todd in Naples so we always end up skipping it. But it does look yummy.

Love your departure pictures of the Beach Club (the one resort I still want to try).

Keeping fingers crossed that you get the section you requested at Vistana Villages.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: