Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #1801
smidgy
dimples

oh! I see you are not staying at AKl anyway! you were just posting a question about a previous post. silly me.
I think your daughter will be happy at CBR, the courtyard with the DSAs are plentiful, and very cozy!
we stayed at CBR on our" reward for quitting smoking trip" and were wishing we could use them!!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #1802
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
Mary, I hate to burst your bubble but, in MY opinion, it IS a long hike to the DSA at AKL.
there is one behind the pool and one in front of the lobby. It wouldn't be too bad if you are on a lower floor, or near an elevator. but the hallways are VERY l o n g! you could have a long hike to an elevator, and then again a bit of a walk outside .
now this might not be a big deal to some smokers (it wasn't to me, I didn't smoke that much before we quit) but hubby, like your daughter, was a chain smoker and he didn't like it.

of course this is a problem at other deluxe resorts, too. boardwalk has long hallways and long walks to the elevator. beach club villas wasn't so bad, there was a dsa right by the villas quiet pool. the moderates are the best. CBR has DSAs in lots of courtyards. CSR is pretty smoker friendly.
I am happy now that we quit, and this isn't an issue for us anymore, but I just don't want you going in without the info you want (which is what this thread is for!)
Thanks for this information I'm glad you told me what to expect It may be a problem then because she smokes like every hour and sometimes every half hour.
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #1803
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
oh! I see you are not staying at AKl anyway! you were just posting a question about a previous post. silly me.
I think your daughter will be happy at CBR, the courtyard with the DSAs are plentiful, and very cozy!
we stayed at CBR on our" reward for quitting smoking trip" and were wishing we could use them!!!!
Thanks yes we are booked for CBR but I would really like to stay at AKL and was thinking about switching
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #1804
smidgy
dimples

I'm not saying don't switch. maybe it would be good for her! hubby didn't like it, but he dealt with it.

first time we ever stayed at AKL, we had a smoking room!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #1805
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Yes to bad they dont have smoking buildings. We may just stay with CBR and go have dinner at Boma and check the resort out. Then again unless I get the AKL fever again

Last edited by maryj11; 05-30-2012 at 03:15 PM.
maryj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #1806
rriley25
AKUS & Bluegrass ~ Now that's music

Cigars?

Any cigar bars in the area? I may only smoke 1 or 2 while vacationing, but I do love it when I can.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #1807
vette79
Earning My Ears

Downtown Disney. Sosa Cigars has two locations. one is a cigar store where they have workers hand rolling cigars on the weekends in the store. The second location is a nice bar with indoor and outdoor seating. Will be visiting disney June 10th to the 20th. can not wait to spark one up....
vette79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #1808
rriley25
AKUS & Bluegrass ~ Now that's music

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette79 View Post
Downtown Disney. Sosa Cigars has two locations. one is a cigar store where they have workers hand rolling cigars on the weekends in the store. The second location is a nice bar with indoor and outdoor seating. Will be visiting disney June 10th to the 20th. can not wait to spark one up....
Thanks for this info. It sounds perfect.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #1809
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I have seen 2 different maps for the DSA's at AKL Jambo pool area. One shows a DSA by the fitness center area and the other map shows the DSA on the other side behind the pool bar. Which one is up to date ?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #1810
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

How about AoA? Anyone got a map of the DSA's there?
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #1811
goopysolelady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj11 View Post
I have seen 2 different maps for the DSA's at AKL Jambo pool area. One shows a DSA by the fitness center area and the other map shows the DSA on the other side behind the pool bar. Which one is up to date ?
As of March the only one by the pool area was by the fitness center. Sorry...just noticed you were asking about AKL; we were at Kidani Village! Guess it's time for me to go to bed!
1978 1st trip-off site; 1981 Howard Johnson/LBV; 1983 Poly; 1985 Poly; 1987 Poly; 1990 Caribbean Beach/Poly; 1993 with HS Band-Holiday Inn Sun Spree/Poly; 1994 HS Band trip to Austria/Germany; 1995 Embassy Suites LBV/Poly; 1996 DD 1st solo trip w/best friend; 1998 HS Band-Quality Inn; 2000-Off site-Vacation Home; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2008 Poly; 2009 Wilderness Lodge; 2010 Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Towers; 2012 Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas; 2013 Art of Animation; 2014 Caribbean Beach
goopysolelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #1812
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Ok its confusing when there are 2 different maps lol
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1813
CoffeeCup
Mouseketeer

The DSA at Jambo is in front of the fitness center and just behind the pool. Several years ago there also was a DSA by the pool bar, but it no longer exists. You must be looking at an old map if it still shows a DSA there.
CoffeeCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #1814
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Thanks Coffeecup I thought I read that some where but wasnt sure
Old 07-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #1815
stitch34
DIS Veteran

Pop - some DSA's taken away!

Just returned from Pop - ahhhhh!!! Missing DSAs!!! Was pretty upset about it, I must say. Paid MORE for a preferred pool view room in 60's.... because I LOVE how there is smoking at the tables at the bar.
used to be also at the exit of the main building... but I noticed in November they moved that to near the ping pong table.

Well... they are all gone now! No smoking near the bar, none near the ping pong table.

Now there is 2 benches across from Goofy's splash jets... yep.
and was always pretty CROWDED and no room there.

We love being right by the pool at 60's.... have the bar at night, kids play ping pong and can sit and have a smoke.
Even before heading out to the bus in the a.m.... nice to have a spot on the way to smoke... but nope, gotta go all the way to Goofy's now.

There was a sign posted... sorry for the inconvenience. Well, I did find it inconvenient... especially since I paid MORE for a room in that area because of the DSA's, only to then discover they were gone.

I did go up front and voiced my concerns nicely... I know people always complain about the DSAs (nonsmokers), so said I will be the voice of the smokers who are sitting on those two benches with many standing around all crowded and complaining about the lack of DSAs now. doubtful they'll do anything, but wanted to nicely let them know yes, it is an inconvenience and really needs to be something by the back of the building at least.

We checked in on June 26th.... was told this was new, only a few days ago this change occured. Heard one story people complained about people leaving their butts everywhere in the bar area?

And gotta say, at night we always have had a tough time finding a table near the bar.... not this trip, could see tables empty - as duh, no smokers to sit there! Wonder if it's affecting the bar sales w/o the smokers there?

as for AOA... didn't notice smoking at that bar area also from a quick glance... but at least they have one along the back of the main building which seemed nice.

Just really stunk... grabbing my drink from bar... walking back to stupid Goofy's area....sloshing my drink in my cup while I walk... and no table to put drnik on. Like to sit, smoke, drink, check my facebook, lol, and emails.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: