Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

More on the surrey bike & a life update

Before I move on to our next day, (which I have all typed up but I only have a few more minutes right now since I'm sitting at karate), I want to tell the rest of the surrey bike story.

So we get the bike & find out that DH & I have to do all the work... we should have quit right there but we went on, how hard could it be?

We made it most of the way around but when we got to that bridge by the Swolphin, before the big Boardwalk sign and we were struggling. I was pedaling my hardest but I was laughing. Apparently Tim, as he was turning red, thought I wasn't pedaling my hardest and he yelled at me. Well I wasn't having any of that so I stopped pedaling. That's when we had to get off and walk. Oops.

And in a life update...
Life has been super busy here! I’m finishing up my 5th year as co-president/president of our school PTO. We had elections a few weeks ago & we voted in our new co-presidents. I was presented with a really nice gift signed by all of the students at our school at the end of the meeting. It’s bittersweet but I’m ready to move on. I’ll still be involved with the PTO but will need more time to focus on the boys next year as Alex transitions to middle school & school work has been getting more challenging for Zach. We’ve been attending transition meetings at our school & the middle school. I’ve also been attending special ed meetings, working on Alex’s IEP & transition. I’m still nervous but feeling really good about how things are going to go. The new team seems really great!

We’ve also been working on our plans for our little trip to New York City this summer. In August, we’ll be going to New York to see a Yankees game in their new stadium. Tim is a life-long Yankees fan and has been to many games, but has never been to the new stadium. The boys love baseball and like his dad, Alex is a Yankees fan. Zach & I are Red Sox fans but are excited to go to NY & see a game in the new stadium. So far our plans look like this:

We are leaving on Thursday, August 2nd (a day we added so we could have the full day Friday to do some things that weren’t fitting in our schedule). Alex has summer school until noon so the plan is to pick him up right at noon & head to NYC. As of now, the plan is to drive all the way into NYC but we are considering parking somewhere in Southern CT and taking the train. We just aren’t sure where to park & if it’s safe to leave the car all weekend. Tim doesn’t mind driving into the city so we’ll see... Our hotel charges $80/night for a minivan but Tim thinks we can park elsewhere for less… which is fine as long as it’s a secure parking area. Thursday night is open, we’ll probably have eaten in the car so we may do a little exploring/shopping and grab dessert somewhere.

On Friday, August 3rd, we have plans to take a Yankee Stadium at noon. This is the only day we can do this as they don’t offer tours on game days. The tours are limited to 12-1:40 so we have tickets for the first tour at noon. We plan to get lunch somewhere before the tour so we can take off right after the tour (which lasts 45 minutes – one hour) so we can go to the Museum of Natural History. The museum is only open until 5:45. If we can get there by 2:00 we’ll have almost 3 hours, which doesn’t seem like enough time but at least we’ll be able to /get an overview. We need to figure out where we want to eat for dinner & maybe make a reservation somewhere. We’ll probably do some more exploring after dinner.

Saturday is our big game day! These are the only plans we have for Saturday.

On Sunday, we’ll check out and go to the 9/11 Memorial when it opens at 10am. I need to go online & reserve those tickets once we know our plans are firm. They are free, but limited. I don’t think we’ll spend too long at the memorial but it will be good for the kids to see it so they can refer back to it when they learn more about it in school. I think we’ll try to get an early lunch or snack after the memorial. We were trying to figure out how to see the Statue of Liberty without actually taking the several hours it would require to do a real tour. The boys just wouldn’t be able to handle that. Also, the statue itself is under renovation so you can’t go inside right now. That won’t be done until fall. Brook (brookelizabeth) told me about these boat tours that take you out and give you a good view of the statue. When I researched, I found out about these speedboats that are only about a 30 minute ride. I think the combination of a short ride, speed & getting to see the statue will be perfect for our crew. There are two options, one that doesn’t take reservations but starts at 10am and one that takes reservations starting at noon. 11am would be perfect for our plans but not having a reservation makes me nervous so I think we’ll do the lunch/snack thing after the memorial & take the 12:00 speedboat ride. Then we’ll head out of the city.

On our way home, we plan to show the kids some spots in Greenwich, where Tim grew up, and in Stamford, where Tim & lived for a few years after college, before we moved back to NH. That's it for our NY trip plans!

The rest of this wet weekend will involve watching Alex swim in the Special Olympics! He swam yesterday & got a gold medal in his 50 freestyle. We're headed to the pool for three more events in just a little while.

I'll be back with my next real update later today or tomorrow! Have a good weekend!!

And karate's over so no time to proof read! Sorry for any typos!

Last edited by DisMomAmy; 06-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: