Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
DISmeet on the Plaza Friday night. Person with the most posts is buying. Wonder who that would be.......
Sorry.

Busy this Friday.

And, every Friday.

(Until you catch up to my post count.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
wheredreamsbegin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmakatbaby View Post
In 2011, we went to Disney for Thanksgiving and we took the "sleigh" ride on Thanksgiving night. We thoroughly enjoyed this ride!! There were tons of lights/decorations to see and they were simply amazing!! I hope you have a magical vacation!
Thank you for this input and for your well wishes! This is a surprise trip for the kids and I want it to be as magical and holiday-filled as possible. I'm going to book the sleigh ride.

me , DH , DD (11) , DD (9) , DD (7) ,

July 2014 BWV, October 2013 SSR, March 2013 VWL, November 2012 BLT, March 2011 BCV, July 2010 AKL, March 2010 BLT, August 2009 Disneyland Hotel, July 2009 SSR, March 2009 SSR, March 2007 WL, October 2004 CBR, April 2000 off property
wheredreamsbegin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Well, don't leave me out of the KC reunion!

I've lived in the KC area all my life.
I had no idea you were from here Robo
Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellybutton View Post
You shouldn't have any problems doing this. We did the haunted carriage ride for Halloween, followed by dinner at WCC, and it was very easy to do both. We even had issues with our carriage ride. Our driver was having problems with the recorder playing the story of sleepy hallow. She ended up having her manager bring over a replacement. I was worried about being late for our WCC dinner. They took our name down and called WCC and told them to seat us no matter how late we arrived. When we got to WCC, not late at all, the hostess knew who we were as soon as I gave her my name. She was like "hey, you aren't late at all". I would book the ride at least 2 hours prior to your WCC ADR, just so that you don't feel rushed.

Last December we did the sleigh ride followed by dinner at Ohana. I scheduled them to be 2 hours apart and we had no issues getting to Ohana on time. We had our own car and drove, but getting to the Poly, or WL, is not hard at all. If going to WL you can take the boat over. There may be a bus route that I'm unaware of. I seem to recall something about a bus route at one time, but not sure if it still (or ever did ) exists. If going to one of the monorail resorts you can take the boat to CR and then catch the monorail.

We thought both the halloween and holiday carriage rides were well worth the price. If I am remembering correctly both were around $60. I think I booked them around the same time I booked ADRS, so 180 days out, but I'm not 100% sure. These two carriage rides are great memories for my family and we'll likely do them again if in WDW around either holiday.
Thanks for the first hand account. Glad to know it's doable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Sorry.

Busy this Friday.

And, every Friday.

(Until you catch up to my post count.)

Hmmm..... better get typing........ and saving.

There's a QuikTrip on Main Street, just north of 47th street I used to visit when I worked down there.

Taquitos and Big Gulps for everyone!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quite a bit of price difference between the sleigh ride and the wagon ride. What makes it the sleigh ride worth the extra money?
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Seaislegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2inKC View Post
We did the sleigh ride last December. If I remember correctly the reservations did not open up until a few months before. It's $60 and must be paid in advance when you book it. It's one of my favorite things we've ever done at Disney.
Can anyone confirm when the reservations open for the sleigh ride? I called a few weeks ago, a day or two short of my 180 day window. The CM did a search for what I described as the "sleigh ride or carriage ride through Fort Wilderness to see the campgrounds decorated for the holidays" and said she could not find anything allowing her to make those reservations in her system and told me to call back later (I'm pretty sure she didn't search using my exact words . Called back today and the new CM did a search for the sleigh ride and said there was nothing available, but told me "there are other carriage rides through Fort Wilderness to see the lights." I asked her if there was anything available. She was able to search for "Carriage Rides" at different dates and time slots, but she said the only thing showing availability was the Port Orleans carriage ride.

I am hoping I cannot find anything because it is not yet available, and perhaps the CMs (who were both very lovely people and tried very hard to be helpful) were just not familiar with this enough to know it isn't open yet for reservations? The alternative is that it so wildly popular that it is booked immediately upon 180 day windows opening up, for every carriage and every time slot for a period of six days (including the week after Thanksgiving) for every time slot between 5:30 and 10:30. I know it's busy and crowded during this time, but I've been to WDW several times over the holidays and only this year learned about the "horse drawn sleigh"/"carriage ride" through the decorated Fort Wilderness campground through the Disboard this year. However, it would not be the first time I was every so naive...

So, any info you can provide would be most helpful! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #22
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

Does the sleigh go through the woods between the WL and FW? Or does it actually go back into the campground area where the lights are?

If I want to see the lights would it be better to book the carriage ride instead of the sleigh ride?

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries

DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
PrincessJackie
Earning My Ears

Ft. Wilderness Holiday Sleigh Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaislegirl View Post
Can anyone confirm when the reservations open for the sleigh ride?...So, any info you can provide would be most helpful! Thanks!
I just booked our reservations this morning for a 2012 Fort Wilderness Holiday Sleigh Ride on December 1. I am pretty sure reservations just opened up a day or two ago for this, so I can't imagine they are completely booked yet. This is the 25-minute "private" horse drawn sleigh ride that takes you through the Fort Wilderness camp sites to see the campers' holiday lights and displays. The sleigh can accomodate 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 children. They do not start running until December 1 - no November dates, not even over the Thanksgiving holiday. Rides departs every 30 minutes from 5:30 - 10:30 pm nightly. Cost is $60 per sleigh (regardless of the number of passangers) and payment in full by credit card is required at the time of booking. Cancellations must be made one day prior to receive a refund. I was notified rides will not be cancelled because of light rain or cold tempratures - only due to thunderstorms, and that call is made by the driver only - not the passangers. Make your reservations by calling (407) WDW-PLAY or (407) 939-7529. I hope this helps!
PrincessJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #24
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

For the same price, you could reserve a golf cart and look around at your leisure. The sleigh ride doesn't go through all of the camping loops.

It was really well decorated the first week of December when we went. I have heard that Disney is cracking down on the over -use of electricity at the sites, although I think theylike the fact that the campers create an attraction for guests and Disney doesn't have to do a thing!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
Pleglech
Mouseketeer

I've been there the week before Thanksgiving twice in the past three years. Plenty of decorations both times. In addition to the sleigh ride, I'd recommend walking around a bit to take in some of the more elaborate displays.
Pleglech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
PrincessJackie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
For the same price, you could reserve a golf cart and look around at your leisure. The sleigh ride doesn't go through all of the camping loops.
You are absolutely right. And $60 is definitely not cheap. I guess it's a matter of what you are looking to get out of it. For us, the whole "horse drawn sleigh/bells jingling" thing seemed more festive and fun than driving around in a golf cart. I saw a video from prior years and the roads you travel along seemed kind of busy with other sleighs/carriages, as well as several golf carts and lots of pedestrians also looking at the lights. I would rather leave the driving to someone else who is familiar with the routes so both my husband and I can relax and enjoy the ride and the decorations without a bunch of other distractions.
PrincessJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
czmom
DIS Veteran

Can anyone familiar with Ft. Wilderness tell me how far the sleigh ride check in would be from Pioneer Hall? We are doing the HDDR at 6:15. Would 8:30 be a safe enough time for our sleigh ride?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

This is an adorable idea. We usually go for Halloween at the Fort, and my parents did the Sleepy Hollow tour, but it would be very unique for them to see the Christmas lights on a sleigh. Another Christmas tradition.

To the OP, you can't tell who will be there early to decorate, but there are some serious campers. We love to go and visit them year after year.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
tiggore91
Tiggore91

If we were to do the Sleigh Ride and were coming from DTD, we would just take the bus over to Fort Wilderness. Where do we go from there? And is there a special spot we need to get off the bus at? Sorry, as previous people have said, I have never been over in this area before!! Thanks!
tiggore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #30
DsnyMama
DIS Veteran

Do the *wagon* rides also take you down the camp loops to see the campsite decorations (campers, not WDW decs)?? Trying to decide between a sleigh ride, a wagon ride, and renting a cart for an hour or so....

Up Next: October2014
Feb 2014 TR - click HERE
DsnyMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: