Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
srqdan
Dan

Going Solo to Gay Days

This past weekend, I kind of did something out of the norm for me and booked a hotel room at the host hotel (Double Tree) from May 31-June 3. I am going alone (except for my dog) and wondering if Gay Days is "friendly" for us single folks?
srqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
chwgmjay
I think your giraffe is being towed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srqdan View Post
This past weekend, I kind of did something out of the norm for me and booked a hotel room at the host hotel (Double Tree) from May 31-June 3. I am going alone (except for my dog) and wondering if Gay Days is "friendly" for us single folks?
It is. There will be quite a few of us single guys there.
chwgmjay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
colaboy29
Mouseketeer

once you arrive and start mingling I doubt you'll be single for long.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Colt75
SWGM in Tampa Bay

Re: Going Solo

Your dog is adorable! I'm 36 am planning on going alone too. I have no idea how to meet people there and am not too keen on talking to strangers. Do guys generally approach you? What is your "plan" for Gay Days? I'm Trent, by the way. I don't know if I'll find my way back to this site, so my electronic male is trent followed by the underscore sign, then the dutch name jeroen at hot mail if you want to chat about Gay Days, being single, small dogs, or anything else.
Colt75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
wcpamotm
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Definitely recommend coming to Gay Days even solo! I have (twice) and had a blast.

The first time, I met a table mate who was also going solo back when they were doing special shows for us at Ft. Liberty, and we decided to pal around the MK the next day. Last year I pretty much split time between meeting up with Disboarders and some other Internet friends. The Disboarders are a very friendly bunch!

[2014] June - Port Orleans ???? | May - Grand Floridan Villas 1429 [2013] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4535 | Aug - Saratoga Springs 8836 | June - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4543 | May - Beach Club Villas 269 [2012] May - Animal Kingdom Villas 5428 [2011] Dec - Boardwalk Villas 4064 | Jun - Royal Plaza 306 [2010] Dec - Old Key West 3836 | Aug - Bay Lake Tower 8237 [2009] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 1556 | Apr - Yacht Club 4057 [2007] Dec - Caribbean Beach 1231 [2004] May - Pop Century 6403 [2003] May - Coronado Springs 3492 [2002] Dec - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2203 | May - Boardwalk Inn 2266 [2001] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 5111 & Yacht Club 2061| May - Animal Kingdom Lodge 5136 [2000] Dec - Dixie Landings 1857 | May - Coronado Springs 7621 [1999] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 3023 | May - Beach Club 3584 | Mar - Caribbean Beach 4343 [1998] Nov - Port Orleans 3331 | Jun - Polynesian [1997] Dec - Dixie Landings 8420 | Jun - offsite [1994] Mar - Port Orleans 4301 [1992] Nov - offsite [1989] Apr - Caribbean Beach 1344 [72,73,75,76,82] stayed w/family ... and a few other times when I was in town doing something else ...
wcpamotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
David Raguso
New DVC Member from Tarrytown, NY

Going solo to Gay Days

I was thinking of coming down from NYC last minute, it would be my first Gay Days...whats it like?

is it cruisy? friendly?
which parties are worth going to? any to avoid?
does it make sense to visit the parks as part of the event weekend gatherings or should you do it alone as you would normally?

I have Disney Vacation Club and I'm trying to get a room at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs but right now its pretty booked up.
David Raguso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

There will be plenty of single people going. I've yet to experience Gay Days NOT single. It doesn't stop me from going! Plenty of people to hang out with and a great opportunity to make new friends.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
STPTDonn
Earning My Ears

David, Glad to hear your coming. I have been going to this event for years. Not being a party person I enjoy the parks and seeing the vast sea of red shirts. Quite emotional. So many family there. I stay at a cheap hotel close by and that allows me more spending money for lunch, dinner, etc.. The person I was going to have go with me has had to cancel. Let me know if you would like to meet on one of the days or days during this event. I always follow the individual gay day theme park schedule--so that means Thu. Animal Kingdom, Fri. Hollywood Studios, Sat. Magic Kingdom, Sun. Epcot. I have a guest assistance pass for six so we or anyone with us will not have to wait on line for any of the attractions. Donn P.S. Do you know Bev Getz from up your way?
STPTDonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
David Raguso

HI Donn - I dont know that guy that lives in ny that youve mentioned. I still havent booked anything, I have Disney Vacation Club so , if I go, I would only stay on property and right now its all booked, Im hoping to take advantage of a last minute cancellation
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
STPTDonn
Earning My Ears

Hi David, The guy is a girl Beverly Getz, the daughter of Stan Getz. Maybe they moved out of their home--it's been a long time since I've seen her. Since you are with the DVC, I understand you wanting to take advantage of that. But, with just a week before the event, I don't think you are going to find an availability. Good Luck. I hope you find a cancellation and can use you DVC. Anyway, I will be there and I am a FL Resident annual pass holder. So if you chose to simply come and stay somewhere else, here is my cell# 727-215-4412, this way you could avoid standing in lines at the attractions by hopping along with me with my guest assistance card. Donn
STPTDonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Raguso View Post
HI Donn - I dont know that guy that lives in ny that youve mentioned. I still havent booked anything, I have Disney Vacation Club so , if I go, I would only stay on property and right now its all booked, Im hoping to take advantage of a last minute cancellation
Hi David

I am also a DVC member, and even a couple months ago I had difficulty finding 5 nights from Wed to Mon checkout at any Studios that I liked, including OKW. Although back then Downtown Disney was available. I ended up going for a 1 bedroom at OKW instead, and wait listed for the Hospitality area.

I just looked up the availability, and it looks like there are no solid 5 nights for any location for studios.

Good luck, I hope something opens up for you, but I suspect the wait listing for a studio started a month or two ago.

Phil
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Your also competing with Opening Weekend Star Wars Fans !
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
jackskellingtonsgirl
Jello Shot Chick
I am scarred for life from wearing knock off brands
I opened the door and gave them the "nanny death stare"!

It is a busy time. Some school districts are almost finished. College kids have been out for a couple of weeks, high school seniors are already finished, and our entire district finishes next week. It is Star Wars Weekends. It is Gay Days. I read somewhere that there was a whomping discounted cash rate at SSR (so maybe look at a studio through CRO and pay cash?) so I am guessing that is why everything is full.
AKV CL June '11 AKV June '10 AKL Dec. '09 AKV CL Aug. '09 AKL/SSR/Poly/AKV Aug. '08 AKL Dec. '07 WL Aug. '07 AKL Feb. '07 Pop Dec. '06 AKL Aug. '06 Pop Oct. '05 Pop Jan. '05

jackskellingtonsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #14
David Raguso

Hey All - Thanks so much for all of your offers to reach out with offers to meet but Im not gonna make it. I think its for the best, I might end up going out to Disneyland for Carsland sometime this summer.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Raguso View Post
Hey All - Thanks so much for all of your offers to reach out with offers to meet but Im not gonna make it. I think its for the best, I might end up going out to Disneyland for Carsland sometime this summer.
Ended up with a similar situation myself. Disneyland at the end of the month won out this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: