Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Will you have a car? Will you be using it to get to the parks? If so, why not a FW cabin? The parking space is right outside the door. They do have some accessible cabins with a ramp if you feel that is necessary, or the regular cabins have about 4 steps to get up on the deck and in the door.

Otherwise, it's pretty much luck of the draw. They don't guarantee any room location and some of them are pretty far from transportation.

I would consider an Epcot resort after the cabin. There aren't any steps up or down from the boats to Epcot and DHS (ramps at BW, self elevating dock at YC and Swan/Dolphin). I like the BW or YC because the dock is fairly close.

I would agree that you should consider renting an ECV from an off property company if you feel walking is going to be an issue. It's generally less per day than renting from Disney, you have access to it 24 hours a day (not just in the parks) and you don't have to worry that they will run out. There is a lot of walking in the parks - no, make that a LOT of walking. If you have foot or knee issues, it can be agony. No reason it has to be though.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

I agree with everyone who suggested an ECV. I have a bad ankle and knee, and have never wanted to use one, even though it is sometimes very painful to walk. Most people seem kind, but there are enough who think everyone on a scooter is simply trying to get away with something, and I didn't want to get angry stares.

However, last August I stood for too long waiting for Wishes on our first night and was unable to walk for days afterward. Rented from Walker Mobility, and it was the best decision I ever made. DD didn't have to keep waiting on ol' Mom to catch up, we were able to see and do more and the vast majority of CMs and other guests were generous and helpful. I came home rested and relaxed, instead of in pain, leg elevated to get rid of the swelling.

If using a scooter, any resort will be easier, so that won't be a factor. I personally feel the Y&BC are the best situated for anyone with mobility issues, as you can get to 2 parks quite easily without using a bus, but that's just me.

Good luck! Hope you all have a great trip and your parents love it onsite.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

Honestly - if you are worried about the walking at the resort the parks will be a nightmare. I have bad knees and couldn't do the parks without a scooter. If you get a scooter then you can choose whichever resort appeals to you.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
spencera
Earning My Ears

Father with Knee problems staying on Disney World grounds

My wife and I have been taking our children and grandchildren to Disney World for many years now. We are both 62 years old and in 2008 we rented 2 scootors for the first time. I must say with all honesty, that was the beginning of a wonderful vacation with the kids. with these scootors we are able to keep up with the kids and never get tired like you do when walking. we have a trip planned with the kids and grandkids in October 2012, before I made the flight & hotel reservations I called Vacation Scootors in Orlando and they will deliver 2 dream scootors to the Contemporary Hotel when we get there. we have found that most of the Park benches and chairs are always taken and that is understandable, when one has his or her scootor, you always have a nice soft seat to sit and rest. most all of the things to do and see can be done on the scootor, and if one feels like walking just park the scootor. I guess you can see that we are sold on the scootors, yes we are it just makes the Disney World Vacation with the kids and grandkids so much better for us as well as the kids. Good luck, Spencer from Louisiana
spencera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Janilou2012
Earning My Ears

I vote for POFQ too

I vote for POFQ too. Or if a deluxe resort is an option for you, then one of the resorts that has monorail service. I have a hip replacement so I understand the difficulty of getting around at times.
Jan
Janilou2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
sven1277
Disney World Veteran

Contempory would be a good be a good choice. Its all enclosed in one building with elevators. The monorail is a good transit option, too.
sven1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post
Any resort that offers the ability to book a preferred room-close to the pool and lobby area!

POFQ is a really small resort-the furthest buildings really are only a couple minutes walk to the main area and pool.

CR, in a tower room-NOT garden wing! Everything is located in one convenient building, plus monorail to MK and Epcot
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Mention your father's knee problem when you call to reserve your rooms, they will note it on the reservation. Disney does pay attention to special requests if they can.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
drp4video
Mouseketeer

I also say POFQ. I have stayed at quite a few moderate and value resorts, and POFQ is the smallest and easiest to get around. I was there last September with my 79 year old mom and her 80 year old boy friend who has trouble walking and they were fine with the resort. If you get a preferred room, you will be close to everything, although the resort is not that big and you may not need a preferred room.

Both of them rented scooters in the parks. (races! lol)
drp4video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If you decide to book POFQ keep in mind they do not have preferred rooms. It is small enough that having a preferred room category is not necessary. You can pick things such as Garden View or Water View, but not a preferred room location.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Andreak0428
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for your answers! So helpful! I will def look at POFQ, I stayed at POR last year and we say POFQ from the boat. I was looking at the contemporary but since its for June 2013 I wasnt sure how much it would actually be, I can swing it if they offer a deal but I cant decide until I know a ballpark figure as I have to save!

Thanks for the info on scooters as well. When I give them their present (the trip) I will let him know about the scooters. He can still do some walking I'm just concerned with him over doing it and I dont want him to feel bad if he wants to go back to the resort so Im thinking that the CR might be my best bet.

08 Contemporary Resort May 09 Pop Century
August 09 Contemporary Resort Feb 10 Caribbean Beach
August 10 Caribbean Beach July 11 Port Orleans Riverside
August 12 Polynesian June 13 Wilderness Lodge
October 14 Coronado Springs

Andreak0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Not to belabor the point, but thought I'd add when I had the scooter last summer, I still walked some. The first two days, we were going to Epcot and AK, which are larger and harder to get around. By the third day, my knee was somewhat better and I walked through MK.

Many of us are pushing the scooter as it is obvious to anyone who has used one they are great for easing mobility issues. Another thought - you can book them for only part of the trip, if you worry about the cost.

Good luck, I hope the 2013 rates are out soon so you can start to plan.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Tori 2001
Mouseketeer

Great question! Caribbean might not be the best choice - though I think any resort would be do-able with a little advance planning. I would call Guest Services and explain the problem, if there is enough lead time I'm sure they would work with you to find a location at your expense level that would be close to the desired services, and could even arrange a wheelchair or scooter if that might be needed. While some of the resorts seem huge, they will have multiple bus stops or disability parking that would make for short walks. You would only worry about the main building for check in or out or meals, so don't worry about that unless you plan to use the services there a lot (they have small transports too that can get you to your room on check in or out.) Depending on his comfort level, you may want to ask for a ground floor room or one adjacent to an elevator. I actually find the mods easier to get around, because there is always a close bus stop, and not a lot of time spent going up and down floors.
Tori 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

We have had very good luck with requests. Just about any resort can help and a big smile always helps. I have a bad knee too and AKL put us near the elevator so it was an easy trip to Mara and the pool and close in to the lobby so that worked. SSR put us in Congress Park by the bus and with a DTD view. It all works out.

POFQ did put us in the requested building and close to the food court but it was on the third floor and on pretty much the other end of the buidling from the elevators so think when you make your requests. However they helped us with a smile. No problem.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #29
chainkid
Mouseketeer

I have knee problems and I cannot begin to tell you what having a scooter has done for my enjoyment of the parks. For the past few visits I had one and now I wouldn't go without one. Even a healthy person can have issues with all that walking. I used to bring mole skin for my family becasue someone would always have a problem . I still like to walk to get exercise so I often park the scooter and walk until I start to feel pain. My hubby sometimes shares it with me so he can rest while I walk . They are easy to use and I don't need them to go on attractions so once parked no one knows you have a handicapp . Where you stay is not truly not going to be that different..its alot of walking everywhere...get the scooter and be painfree best advice I can give. With two hip replacements, and upcoming knee replacements I have long ago lost interst in what others think and learned to make the most of what you do have.
chainkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #30
wdwcrazy
pixie dust for all

I also think that an investment in the scooter is a good idea. Then it doesn't matter where you stay. But if you don't get the scooter keep in mind that they can be rented in the parks or if you want one to take with you back to your resort you can rent them on the boardwalk at the Boardwalk resort. My brother came in for a 60th birthday trip with a bad knee and by the 3rd day her could barely walk. So he went and got himself a scooter and had a fabulous birthday trip.

All the planning about the resort and the surprise won't matter if your Dad spends the vacation suffering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: