Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #31
amazingact21
Upendi

On the Road Again

On the Road Again

This will probably be the shortest update of the whole report, because, frankly…traveling is BORING. I was going to skip over this part, but something Disney-related happened pre-Orlando and I couldn’t just fail to mention a Disney moment, now could I?

Alex and I woke up at a decent hour on May 2nd. We had all our bags by the front door, and all we needed to do was eat some breakfast and get the dog ready to go.

Easy.

Alex began dragging our suitcases to the car while I washed the breakfast dishes.

Also easy.

As I was putting the last bowl on the drying rack, I heard Alex come back inside and go, “We have to make a quick pit stop.”

Not so easy.

Clearly, I was curious as to what we’d failed to do before departure day.

So, I asked.

“What’d we fail to do before our departure day?”

Okay, maybe I didn’t say those exact words. Maybe there was a tad bit more frustration in my question. And maybe I looked a teensy bit irritated, but that’s not important.

It turned out that Alex needed to turn something into an office on base before we skipped town.

Not that big a deal in the end.

We drove onto the base…speeding along at a whopping 35 miles per hour.

Whoo hoo!

Making great time…

We passed brown building after brown building, until we came to the brown building Alex needed.

He went inside, dropped off his gear, and then we were headed to one last stop before we hit the interstate.

A Starbucks!

Hallelujah!

Before you start calling me some coffee-addicted nut (hmm, maybe I should say a Starbucks-addicted nut, because I can’t exactly claim not to be a coffee-nut) let me preface this with a short explanation.

Starbucks is a special treat for me. I used to go to the shop 2-3 times a week when I was in college, but now that I’ve gotten married and have begun exercising, I have drastically cut back my Frapp intake.

The last time I bought one of their drinks was in February, so I figured the perfect way to begin a long carride through Florida was to treat myself.

Why, hello, Grande Peppermint Mocha Frapp with 2%....how I’ve missed you so!

It felt like I was cheating on my plain, safe, predictable at-home coffee with this delicious, sweet, unhealthy dessert. But I’d feel guilty later. For now, I was basking in the glory of giving myself a little gift.

I think it tasted even better because of that.

Or it might have been just because I hadn’t had any coffee up to that point all morning, and it was nearing 9:30…well past the point of “put coffee in Alicia.”

That just doesn’t sound as nice, though, so I’m going with the former.

With the drinks in their holders and the dog curled in my lap, Alex and I set out on I-10 towards I-75 and eventually the Florida Turnpike.

This was the best Alex could get of me and the dog.

Then again, he was driving 70 miles an hour in 3 lanes of traffic, so I guess I can cut him a little slack…

We made it to his parent’s house around 6 o’clock. Ate dinner with his family, slept in a little bit, went to lunch in a shopping village and enjoyed the day.

Around 2 o’clock that Thursday, there was a launch scheduled, so we all drove about 30 minutes to Port Canaveral to stand near the water and watch the satellite’s departure.

Unfortunately, the launch was scrubbed. That’s nothing unusual. Having lived in that area for 4 years, I witnessed more reschedules than actual initiations.

The whole thing was totally worth the drive over, because as we were pulling into the port, a certain ship was docked.

“Which one is it?”

“The Magic?”

“No, no, look it has the Aquaduck!”

The Aquaduck was beautiful, with its water rushing through the tube and its pathway across the deck and over the side of the ship.

As we got closer, Alex could make out the back of the ship much better and discovered that we were looking at the Disney Dream.

“It’s gorgeous.”

I stared at the red smokestacks with their signature Disney Cruise Line emblem, watched a lucky family take turn on the slide, and suddenly, I became very nostalgic.

“Alex, I miss our honeymoon.”

“Huh?”

I was picturing myself back on the Magic, with the wind tangling my hair, the sound of the free ice cream machine whirring behind me, the smell of salt all around me.

“I wish we were back on the cruise.”

“I thought you hated our cruise.”

“I did….but now I don’t. Now I really wanna be back on a Disney cruise and back on Castaway Cay and back in Lumiere’s eating Mango Soup.”

I really confused my husband.

For months after we returned from our 7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise, I told people how much I didn’t care for cruising. The seas were rough, it was insanely crowded, I felt rushed throughout the trip.

But here I was, looking at one of the sister ships, gazing at the porthole windows, knowing exactly what was behind each and every one of them, and I really, really missed being on the ship.

“We should hop on board. I don’t even care where it’s going.”

Alex was still looking at me like I was nuts.

However, he knew I was a tad bit crazy when he married me, so he just went with my new-found love of cruises and let me have my moment.

“We should text Rush and Shannon and tell them we’re here and missing our cruise.”

Rush and Shannon are two people we met while on our cruise. Shannon’s a DISboard member, and we spoke together on the Cruise Thread under our trip’s thread. We were both honeymooning at the time, and we all met up on the first day. As it turns out, Alex and Rush hit it off and now they text each other occasionally.

Alex sent a text to them and we reminisced some more about all the fun we had last October. I posted a status on facebook asking if we could go on a quick cruise, to which my mother adamantly said, “NO!”

Man, I forgot that little detail.

Can’t leave my mom alone at Disney, unaware of FP policies and the Dining Plan system.

Guess we’ll have to save the cruise for another time.

This was a good moment for Alex, though, because he thought he’d have to fight me tooth and nail to get me on another cruise, but really, all he had to do was jot my memory and make me remember all the fun I had on the Magic.

While we drove back to his parent’s house (after hearing the launch was cancelled) Alex and I talked about how we need to save up for another cruise and this time go on one of the newer ships.

His sister, who was driving, offhandedly mentioned, “You’ll have to try out another company next time.”

Alex, deadpan, replied with, “Why?”

“Well, other ships won’t be as expensive.”

Alex, still serious, answered, “I’ve been on other ships. I’ll stick with Disney.”

That right there removed any doubt I had that I was the bigger Disney fan in the family.

I mentally gave myself a gold star for officially converting Alex to Disney fanatic status.

Mission accomplished!

Feeling very good about myself and my Disney-loving abilities, the two of us finished off our stay with a midnight showing of The Avengers.

Which I fell asleep in!

Ugh.

I truly felt like I was getting older at that moment.

What happened to the days were I could stay up 24 hours and survive off of soda and chocolate and still fit into my jeans and take an exam on that sugar high?

I’m still in my 20’s, how could I lose that ridiculous ability to run on fumes and still have the time of my life?

I became worried about Disney. Did I suddenly lose my agility and power to run around the parks on 3 hours of sleep? What happened in 7 months to change me?

I was desperately hoping my plans wouldn’t need to be changed due to my poor willpower, but until I got to WDW and saw what I was capable of, there was no point stressing.

Instead, I just went to sleep…

And there, my friends, is where the boring, non-Disney World stuff ends and here begins the official trip.

Up Next….3 early arrivals, a 2nd chance at a particular eatery, and 1 over-stressed girl.

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #32
wakica
DIS Veteran

!!

I would be such a coffee person too - if I could. Caffeine gives me migraines Like the whole aura followed by about 4 - 6 hours of the most excruciating pain and nausea imagineable and in order to keep them at bay I have cut out coffee, caffeinated teas, and pop - Yes, feel bad for me Actually I have meds now that dull them REALLY well and completely take away the nausea and I've gotten them down to only a few times/year but I do miss caffeine. I rarely have much energy and I hope people don't take that extra energy for granted bc people like me can't get that energy anywhere I still like fancy drinks though so I've figured out all the non caffeinated specialty tea drinks or other drinks like the yummy frozen hot chocolate type ones. So I still understand the need for a good fancy drink from time to time

sorry to go on and on. LOL.

Now on to something more important. You feel asleep during AVENGERS?!?! but it has Robert Downey Jr in it!!! and he was HILARIOUS!!!! That's such a shame to have fallen asleep in it!!!! did you get to enjoy what you did see of it at least? I LOOOOOVED it. Not only bc of him but bc of the GREAT one liners in it and the fact that each super hero had their own highlight moments each making it SUCH a great super hero movie - and I'm not usually a huge super hero movie person. lol Well, ok the only exception is Iron Man but that's only bc of the awesome actor in it. lol

I'm glad you posted more b/c I was thinking yesterday that I should tease you that I have more on my trip report than you do. LOL

Me dh dd(16)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #33
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
I would be such a coffee person too - if I could. Caffeine gives me migraines Like the whole aura followed by about 4 - 6 hours of the most excruciating pain and nausea imagineable and in order to keep them at bay I have cut out coffee, caffeinated teas, and pop - Yes, feel bad for me Actually I have meds now that dull them REALLY well and completely take away the nausea and I've gotten them down to only a few times/year but I do miss caffeine. I rarely have much energy and I hope people don't take that extra energy for granted bc people like me can't get that energy anywhere I still like fancy drinks though so I've figured out all the non caffeinated specialty tea drinks or other drinks like the yummy frozen hot chocolate type ones. So I still understand the need for a good fancy drink from time to time

sorry to go on and on. LOL.

Now on to something more important. You feel asleep during AVENGERS?!?! but it has Robert Downey Jr in it!!! and he was HILARIOUS!!!! That's such a shame to have fallen asleep in it!!!! did you get to enjoy what you did see of it at least? I LOOOOOVED it. Not only bc of him but bc of the GREAT one liners in it and the fact that each super hero had their own highlight moments each making it SUCH a great super hero movie - and I'm not usually a huge super hero movie person. lol Well, ok the only exception is Iron Man but that's only bc of the awesome actor in it. lol

I'm glad you posted more b/c I was thinking yesterday that I should tease you that I have more on my trip report than you do. LOL

Wha-! You started your TR??? I can't believe I missed the start...but it's alright now, I've subscribed and am all caught up. Whew!

Mm, not getting caffeine has to be a challenge. I was really good for about a year, and only had 1 cup of coffee a day, and even now, I only drink 2 cups a day and don't have any soda or tea, but still....there's just somes days when you need a caffeine fix! I don't know how you do it.

I didn't sleep through the whole movie, just dozed off a few times. Like, I remember them being in the ship, and the next time I looked at the screen Mark Ruffalo was Hulked out. I was like, "Wait, when did he turn? I missed that!"

I did love it, though, and I'm trying to find time to see it again when I'm fully awake and can enjoy all the jokes again.

I will admit, I enjoy super hero movies a lot, and I agree, Iron Man is great, but I prefer Thor....

Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Yayyy for being on the road! The arrival posts are fun too, in their own way, full of anticipation!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #35
amazingact21
Upendi

You guys....

I've been presented with a challenge.

No, this has nothing to do with my trip report, and if you don't feel like reading something completely off-topic, I won't mind if you just skip this update.

But for those of you who don't care, I need a quick piece of advice.

If you're a veteran Disney go-er and you had to take a weekend getaway to Orlando, what's the minimul amount of time you'd stay there. This is with annual passes, a close proximity to Disney, and the knowledge that you'll be going back later in the year.

Just a quick there and back trip to break up the monotony.

And to build onto that question....if you only had a few days to play, would you stay in a value or moderate resort and would you get the Dining Plan?

AND...if you could get free tickets to Seaworld, would you spend one of your few days at that park instead of Disney?

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm trying to brainstorm ideas. Last night, at dinner, Alex was talking about how much he'd really like a quick trip to Orlando, just a long getaway to getout of town and have some fun. He only got 3 days at Disney on this trip and 5 days with his family () and even while he was there, he was studying for his rank test that occurred yesterday.

So, right now, I'm trying to see if a long weekend is even possible for us. Would 2 or 3 days even be worth the 7 hour drive down? The military gets free tickets to Seaworld, but do I want to waste precious Disney time at a theme park I've been to 4+ times?

And, most importantly....do I want to brave the summer heat and crowds? May was hot, what will July be like???

Right now, these are just ideas and thoughts swirling around in my head. Naturally, at the mention of more Disney a million thoughts popped into my head, and right now I'm still unsure of what I think about a long weekend. I fell in love with this 7 day trip, I don't know if I could just do 2 days....

Okay, I won't dwell on this. Sorry to psych you all out with an update that wasn't an update at all. I promise the next one will be about arriving at Disney.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Yum starbucks! I love me a frappe, but I also try to limit them since they have sooo many calories! It is a wonderful treat to start out a trip though!

I hope you guys are able to get on another cruise soon, they do some great military discounts! We've done other cruises, but never Disney. Someday though!

As for your trip, I'd go for it! Dh and I did a three day trip last Oct, just a quick couples getaway and we really enjoyed it! Also when we were living in Florida weekend trips were the norm for us. You just have to scale back your expectations and concentrate on your favorites. I don't think a Disney fan would ever regret taking a trip to Disney! When we were living in Florida, I used to have to go to central FL for my job. I would always get the work done as fast as possible, and then swing by Disney for a few rides before I went home! Even that was fun!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

I feel the same way about cruising as you! DH and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon (not DCL), and at the time we felt as though it was too boring and not for us. Now, though, we look back fondly on sea days spent reading and napping and stuffing ourselves silly.

I say go for the weekend trip! We regularly spend long weekends at WDW (especially during Food & Wine). You have a longer drive than us, so I would suggest staying three or four nights (we typically stay two). And no, I would not do SeaWorld (sorry, Shamu).

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Mmm I love Starbucks, but I don't get it very often either, maybe twice a month, if that!

That's awesome that you got to see one of the Disney cruise ships! I really, really want to do a Disney Cruise next year, but we'll see how that works out!

Huh, I'm not sure I'd do such a quick trip in July! There's no way you'd want to wait until September or October and maybe add a couple of days and do the Food and Wine fest? That's always fun!

(Normally I'd be saying go for it, but this May trip with the HOT weather scared me off from hot months for a while! If you think you'd be ok with it, go for it! I'd skip Sea World, though, save that for a longer trip! )

(I know, I just totally contradicted myself! Basically, I'm saying I probably wouldn't go in July, but if you wouldn't mind the heat and crowds, why not? )

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #39
MEK
DIS Veteran

Nothing wrong with a quick trip out to the coast to see the Dream!

What? You can't stay up all night and go all day at WDW?

Looking forward to your arrival in the world.

I think 3 nights is the minimum I would do for a trip. And I would definitely go to Seaworld with a free ticket!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
wakica
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post

but still....there's just somes days when you need a caffeine fix! I don't know how you do it.
well, I just don't get much done I'll admit. LOL. Thank goodness DH has energy to spare - he takes on the laundry even though I'm the one at home during the day.

Quote:
I will admit, I enjoy super hero movies a lot, and I agree, Iron Man is great, but I prefer Thor....
I'm not surprised - your much younger than me. LOL. and Iron Man has some similar features to my DH - dark hair, large head, facial hair. plus he's got that whole rich bad boy thing going for him I have to say Thor aint so bad on the eyes either!!! and that VOICE! WOW!!!!

ok now, on to more important things...

Quote:
You guys....

I've been presented with a challenge.

1- would you stay in a value or moderate resort and would you get the Dining Plan?

2- AND...if you could get free tickets to Seaworld, would you spend one of your few days at that park instead of Disney?

3- Would 2 or 3 days even be worth the 7 hour drive down?

4- And, most importantly....do I want to brave the summer heat and crowds?
1- I would stay in value. Save the money to stay in a nicer place on a longer trip and I would NOT get a dining plan unless it was thrown in for cheap. I wouldn't want to waste my touring time possibly sitting in restaraunts. I'd eat counter service or if I did really want a table service meal I'd just show up at an off time like a really early supper (we eat early though so that's easy for me to day lol)

2- I would NOT do Sea World. The trip is too short - save the free tickets for a longer trip and just enjoy WDW.

3- We drive 8 hours to visit a friend and sometimes get there Friday and leave Sunday or early Monday morning so I'd definitely say it's worth it. Leave as SOON as you can to utilize your time even if it means driving after the work the night before or getting up SUPER early and driving in the am when it's still dark.

4- I would TOTALLY brave the summer heats and crowds bc it just takes smart touring. Either go before rope drop and get out to rest mid day and back in the evening IF you want to do the fireworks or just do the rope drop til it starts getting really crowded and hot and then leave and enjoy some down time and pool time in the evenings. Since it's short and you were there recently and going back again in the not too far future then pace yourselves and don't bother cramming in the extras.

good luck in your decision

Me dh dd(16)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
fairy8i8
Spread the Magic!

Definitely go for a long weekend! You are so lucky that Disney World is only 7 hours away, and trust me, when it's farther away, you will wish you had just taken all of those weekend trips, especially with APs!

Don't bother with Seaworld if you aren't loving it. A short weekend should be a break, so only do the things you love! (Get lots of FP and enjoy some of the side shows and shops with AC if you want to stay in the parks during the afternoons, otherwise, go for a swim or nap and enjoy the park later that night!

I'd say stay at a value resort. Maybe try a new one where you haven't stayed before because if you hate it, you are not there long, and you won't waste a longer trip in the same place. Also, theoretically, you could stretch your dollars so that you could do another Disney stay sooner. I'd go toward the end of July during the second value season, and then go again in Sept, or maybe October for the Halloween Party (or do both! and just make regular long weekends at Disney part of your life while you can)!

The best part about planning a few long weekends is that it can relieve you from having to see/do everything each time. Focus on a park or two and a few memorable experiences. In the heat, skip commando style and maybe save it for the cooler months (then you could do one of those ultimate trips where you try to fit in everything in a park in a single day just to see if you can, and then relax the rest of the trip, but summer is too hot for that). Do a character meal or dinner show to immerse yourself in the Disney experience without having to fight long lines. Skip the meal plan on such a short trip, unless you get a discount on it. Have fun! (Even 2 days would be worth it, but just pick a few special things to do because otherwise you will be dead at the end).
Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Yayyy for being on the road! The arrival posts are fun too, in their own way, full of anticipation!
Agreed! I love writing about arrivals, because I get to remember how excited I was to be back in WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Yum starbucks! I love me a frappe, but I also try to limit them since they have sooo many calories! It is a wonderful treat to start out a trip though!

I hope you guys are able to get on another cruise soon, they do some great military discounts! We've done other cruises, but never Disney. Someday though!

As for your trip, I'd go for it! Dh and I did a three day trip last Oct, just a quick couples getaway and we really enjoyed it! Also when we were living in Florida weekend trips were the norm for us. You just have to scale back your expectations and concentrate on your favorites. I don't think a Disney fan would ever regret taking a trip to Disney! When we were living in Florida, I used to have to go to central FL for my job. I would always get the work done as fast as possible, and then swing by Disney for a few rides before I went home! Even that was fun!

I do remember in your past TRs how you mentioned that you used to make weekend trips to Orlando, and if my memory serves me correctly, they were always spoken about in a positive light.
I think a quick trip would be kind of fun. We live in a HUGE tourist area, and it's nice when we can break away from the traffic and busy shops and get away for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
I feel the same way about cruising as you! DH and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon (not DCL), and at the time we felt as though it was too boring and not for us. Now, though, we look back fondly on sea days spent reading and napping and stuffing ourselves silly.

I say go for the weekend trip! We regularly spend long weekends at WDW (especially during Food & Wine). You have a longer drive than us, so I would suggest staying three or four nights (we typically stay two). And no, I would not do SeaWorld (sorry, Shamu).

Haha, I think a lot of people feel that way about cruising. When we got back from ours, my father in-law was telling me he hated his first cruise, and how he's a gold member on two seperate lines!

I could only imagine how much trouble I would get into if I lived as close as you do to WDW.

I agree about Seaworld, though. I went so many times when I lived down there that I feel like I've seen it all before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Mmm I love Starbucks, but I don't get it very often either, maybe twice a month, if that!

That's awesome that you got to see one of the Disney cruise ships! I really, really want to do a Disney Cruise next year, but we'll see how that works out!

Huh, I'm not sure I'd do such a quick trip in July! There's no way you'd want to wait until September or October and maybe add a couple of days and do the Food and Wine fest? That's always fun!

(Normally I'd be saying go for it, but this May trip with the HOT weather scared me off from hot months for a while! If you think you'd be ok with it, go for it! I'd skip Sea World, though, save that for a longer trip! )

(I know, I just totally contradicted myself! Basically, I'm saying I probably wouldn't go in July, but if you wouldn't mind the heat and crowds, why not? )

Disney Cruises are nice, which completely goes against the update I did about in my last TR. Since it's been a few months and I've had time to forget the bad moments, I really miss the ship and the whole experience. So, you should totally try and do one next year. Alex and I are trying to get some friends to do one with us, but they are a teensy bit pricey, and most of our friends don't get a lot of time off work.

It's going to be brutally hot down there this summer, so I agree with you there. But, Alex's philosophy is, we're so close that we'll either be sweating near home or sweating in Orlando. But this is coming from a guy who was stuck in the dessert for two summers on a deployment. I think he's grown immune to the heat.

I'd love to go back to the Food and Wine. So jealous you get to be there in November....Maybe I can convince Alex to take another weekend off then, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Nothing wrong with a quick trip out to the coast to see the Dream!

What? You can't stay up all night and go all day at WDW?

Looking forward to your arrival in the world.

I think 3 nights is the minimum I would do for a trip. And I would definitely go to Seaworld with a free ticket!

Stopping by the port was really nice. It's never too hot out with the sea breeze, and it's fun to see all the ships, especially when one is leaving port.

3 nights does sound like a good amount of time for a quick trip. Otherwise, you end up feeling like you just drove to Orlando and back without really doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakica View Post
well, I just don't get much done I'll admit. LOL. Thank goodness DH has energy to spare - he takes on the laundry even though I'm the one at home during the day.

I'm very jealous. DH has five or six uniforms that I have to wash and they weigh about a ton and are super bulky. I feel like I get an arm workout carrying them up and down the stairs.

I'm not surprised - your much younger than me. LOL. and Iron Man has some similar features to my DH - dark hair, large head, facial hair. plus he's got that whole rich bad boy thing going for him I have to say Thor aint so bad on the eyes either!!! and that VOICE! WOW!!!!

I will say that Robert Downy Jr made the Avengers such a great movie. Without him, the film wouldn't have been nearly as good. ok now, on to more important things...

1- I would stay in value. Save the money to stay in a nicer place on a longer trip and I would NOT get a dining plan unless it was thrown in for cheap. I wouldn't want to waste my touring time possibly sitting in restaraunts. I'd eat counter service or if I did really want a table service meal I'd just show up at an off time like a really early supper (we eat early though so that's easy for me to day lol)

I agree, staying in a value would be the wiser option. Alex is NOT a pool person (he hates it) so we would spend the majority of our time at the parks. I thought I'd want to just eat counter service food and maybe bring some food with us, but Alex said he'd much rather escape the heat by eating in a restaurant than by going all the way back to the resort and sleeping. So we're still torn on that one...

2- I would NOT do Sea World. The trip is too short - save the free tickets for a longer trip and just enjoy WDW.

3- We drive 8 hours to visit a friend and sometimes get there Friday and leave Sunday or early Monday morning so I'd definitely say it's worth it. Leave as SOON as you can to utilize your time even if it means driving after the work the night before or getting up SUPER early and driving in the am when it's still dark.

I didn't even think about leaving after work or before dawn! Thanks for mentioning that! DH's shifts change pretty often, but if he happens to get off at 3pm, I could totally do the driving and we could get there late that night and have 2 full days.

4- I would TOTALLY brave the summer heats and crowds bc it just takes smart touring. Either go before rope drop and get out to rest mid day and back in the evening IF you want to do the fireworks or just do the rope drop til it starts getting really crowded and hot and then leave and enjoy some down time and pool time in the evenings. Since it's short and you were there recently and going back again in the not too far future then pace yourselves and don't bother cramming in the extras.

good luck in your decision
Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate it. And you are completely right, since we were just at WDW, we wouldn't need to rush and do everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy8i8 View Post
Definitely go for a long weekend! You are so lucky that Disney World is only 7 hours away, and trust me, when it's farther away, you will wish you had just taken all of those weekend trips, especially with APs!

Don't bother with Seaworld if you aren't loving it. A short weekend should be a break, so only do the things you love! (Get lots of FP and enjoy some of the side shows and shops with AC if you want to stay in the parks during the afternoons, otherwise, go for a swim or nap and enjoy the park later that night!

I'd say stay at a value resort. Maybe try a new one where you haven't stayed before because if you hate it, you are not there long, and you won't waste a longer trip in the same place. Also, theoretically, you could stretch your dollars so that you could do another Disney stay sooner. I'd go toward the end of July during the second value season, and then go again in Sept, or maybe October for the Halloween Party (or do both! and just make regular long weekends at Disney part of your life while you can)!

The best part about planning a few long weekends is that it can relieve you from having to see/do everything each time. Focus on a park or two and a few memorable experiences. In the heat, skip commando style and maybe save it for the cooler months (then you could do one of those ultimate trips where you try to fit in everything in a park in a single day just to see if you can, and then relax the rest of the trip, but summer is too hot for that). Do a character meal or dinner show to immerse yourself in the Disney experience without having to fight long lines. Skip the meal plan on such a short trip, unless you get a discount on it. Have fun! (Even 2 days would be worth it, but just pick a few special things to do because otherwise you will be dead at the end).

Thanks for much for all your tips! You made several really good points that I hadn't thought of yet.

It never even crossed my mind to stay at a new value, just in case I don't really like it. I will through that out to DH tonight and see what he thinks...

And I completely forgot about the rates changing at the end of July. Right now, we're waiting for DH's June work schedule to be released to see if this is even possible. If he doesn't get any time off, I can plan for early August and not feel so bad knowing we'll save a little on the room.

I completely agree with you on the summer months being too hot to tour commando style. Heck, it was rough doing that at the beginning of May. Plus, taking it super slow and enjoying one or two things could be really fun.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #43
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

I would never say no to a trip to WDW - grab it do something different and have fun. Life's to short to miss out on a trip to the happiest place on earth however brief. :

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #44
amazingact21
Upendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
I would never say no to a trip to WDW - grab it do something different and have fun. Life's to short to miss out on a trip to the happiest place on earth however brief. :
Love your reasoning. Makes perfect sense to me! I should know by the end of the week if the trip is a go or not. *fingers crossed*

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #45
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

Joining in !!

Going back to read !

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: