Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
amazingact21
Upendi

On the Road Again

On the Road Again

This will probably be the shortest update of the whole report, because, frankly…traveling is BORING. I was going to skip over this part, but something Disney-related happened pre-Orlando and I couldn’t just fail to mention a Disney moment, now could I?

Alex and I woke up at a decent hour on May 2nd. We had all our bags by the front door, and all we needed to do was eat some breakfast and get the dog ready to go.

Easy.

Alex began dragging our suitcases to the car while I washed the breakfast dishes.

Also easy.

As I was putting the last bowl on the drying rack, I heard Alex come back inside and go, “We have to make a quick pit stop.”

Not so easy.

Clearly, I was curious as to what we’d failed to do before departure day.

So, I asked.

“What’d we fail to do before our departure day?”

Okay, maybe I didn’t say those exact words. Maybe there was a tad bit more frustration in my question. And maybe I looked a teensy bit irritated, but that’s not important.

It turned out that Alex needed to turn something into an office on base before we skipped town.

Not that big a deal in the end.

We drove onto the base…speeding along at a whopping 35 miles per hour.

Whoo hoo!

Making great time…

We passed brown building after brown building, until we came to the brown building Alex needed.

He went inside, dropped off his gear, and then we were headed to one last stop before we hit the interstate.

A Starbucks!

Hallelujah!

Before you start calling me some coffee-addicted nut (hmm, maybe I should say a Starbucks-addicted nut, because I can’t exactly claim not to be a coffee-nut) let me preface this with a short explanation.

Starbucks is a special treat for me. I used to go to the shop 2-3 times a week when I was in college, but now that I’ve gotten married and have begun exercising, I have drastically cut back my Frapp intake.

The last time I bought one of their drinks was in February, so I figured the perfect way to begin a long carride through Florida was to treat myself.

Why, hello, Grande Peppermint Mocha Frapp with 2%....how I’ve missed you so!

It felt like I was cheating on my plain, safe, predictable at-home coffee with this delicious, sweet, unhealthy dessert. But I’d feel guilty later. For now, I was basking in the glory of giving myself a little gift.

I think it tasted even better because of that.

Or it might have been just because I hadn’t had any coffee up to that point all morning, and it was nearing 9:30…well past the point of “put coffee in Alicia.”

That just doesn’t sound as nice, though, so I’m going with the former.

With the drinks in their holders and the dog curled in my lap, Alex and I set out on I-10 towards I-75 and eventually the Florida Turnpike.

This was the best Alex could get of me and the dog.

Then again, he was driving 70 miles an hour in 3 lanes of traffic, so I guess I can cut him a little slack…

We made it to his parent’s house around 6 o’clock. Ate dinner with his family, slept in a little bit, went to lunch in a shopping village and enjoyed the day.

Around 2 o’clock that Thursday, there was a launch scheduled, so we all drove about 30 minutes to Port Canaveral to stand near the water and watch the satellite’s departure.

Unfortunately, the launch was scrubbed. That’s nothing unusual. Having lived in that area for 4 years, I witnessed more reschedules than actual initiations.

The whole thing was totally worth the drive over, because as we were pulling into the port, a certain ship was docked.

“Which one is it?”

“The Magic?”

“No, no, look it has the Aquaduck!”

The Aquaduck was beautiful, with its water rushing through the tube and its pathway across the deck and over the side of the ship.

As we got closer, Alex could make out the back of the ship much better and discovered that we were looking at the Disney Dream.

“It’s gorgeous.”

I stared at the red smokestacks with their signature Disney Cruise Line emblem, watched a lucky family take turn on the slide, and suddenly, I became very nostalgic.

“Alex, I miss our honeymoon.”

“Huh?”

I was picturing myself back on the Magic, with the wind tangling my hair, the sound of the free ice cream machine whirring behind me, the smell of salt all around me.

“I wish we were back on the cruise.”

“I thought you hated our cruise.”

“I did….but now I don’t. Now I really wanna be back on a Disney cruise and back on Castaway Cay and back in Lumiere’s eating Mango Soup.”

I really confused my husband.

For months after we returned from our 7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise, I told people how much I didn’t care for cruising. The seas were rough, it was insanely crowded, I felt rushed throughout the trip.

But here I was, looking at one of the sister ships, gazing at the porthole windows, knowing exactly what was behind each and every one of them, and I really, really missed being on the ship.

“We should hop on board. I don’t even care where it’s going.”

Alex was still looking at me like I was nuts.

However, he knew I was a tad bit crazy when he married me, so he just went with my new-found love of cruises and let me have my moment.

“We should text Rush and Shannon and tell them we’re here and missing our cruise.”

Rush and Shannon are two people we met while on our cruise. Shannon’s a DISboard member, and we spoke together on the Cruise Thread under our trip’s thread. We were both honeymooning at the time, and we all met up on the first day. As it turns out, Alex and Rush hit it off and now they text each other occasionally.

Alex sent a text to them and we reminisced some more about all the fun we had last October. I posted a status on facebook asking if we could go on a quick cruise, to which my mother adamantly said, “NO!”

Man, I forgot that little detail.

Can’t leave my mom alone at Disney, unaware of FP policies and the Dining Plan system.

Guess we’ll have to save the cruise for another time.

This was a good moment for Alex, though, because he thought he’d have to fight me tooth and nail to get me on another cruise, but really, all he had to do was jot my memory and make me remember all the fun I had on the Magic.

While we drove back to his parent’s house (after hearing the launch was cancelled) Alex and I talked about how we need to save up for another cruise and this time go on one of the newer ships.

His sister, who was driving, offhandedly mentioned, “You’ll have to try out another company next time.”

Alex, deadpan, replied with, “Why?”

“Well, other ships won’t be as expensive.”

Alex, still serious, answered, “I’ve been on other ships. I’ll stick with Disney.”

That right there removed any doubt I had that I was the bigger Disney fan in the family.

I mentally gave myself a gold star for officially converting Alex to Disney fanatic status.

Mission accomplished!

Feeling very good about myself and my Disney-loving abilities, the two of us finished off our stay with a midnight showing of The Avengers.

Which I fell asleep in!

Ugh.

I truly felt like I was getting older at that moment.

What happened to the days were I could stay up 24 hours and survive off of soda and chocolate and still fit into my jeans and take an exam on that sugar high?

I’m still in my 20’s, how could I lose that ridiculous ability to run on fumes and still have the time of my life?

I became worried about Disney. Did I suddenly lose my agility and power to run around the parks on 3 hours of sleep? What happened in 7 months to change me?

I was desperately hoping my plans wouldn’t need to be changed due to my poor willpower, but until I got to WDW and saw what I was capable of, there was no point stressing.

Instead, I just went to sleep…

And there, my friends, is where the boring, non-Disney World stuff ends and here begins the official trip.

Up Next….3 early arrivals, a 2nd chance at a particular eatery, and 1 over-stressed girl.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: