Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
milan15
Mouseketeer

If you haven't liked waiting in the past just to have people cut in front of you, why would that suddenly change?

Don't bother waiting for parades or fireworks. Its simply not worth it. The best place I've found to watch fireworks (least stressful and still can see) is while shopping in DTD.

I can understand waiting a little for something like WOC. However, I'd purchase the dinner package to alleviate a lot of the stress there. Yeah, the prices are steep, but if you go in realizing that you are pretty much buying a nicer seat while also getting some dinner, it's not anywhere near as bad. I'm a tall guy (6'2") but my wife is rather short (5'2") so finding the right spot is always a battle. But we pull it off.

Lastly, just relax and be polite.
milan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

I do stake out spots for the fireworks, WoC, F!, & parades. I do that for getting a good spot to videotape and take pictures of the shows. I know that it isn't worth waiting that long just for a show and I could use that time to do things around the park. But I like to do those kind of things when I am at the park and get the best spot to see the show.

There is no question that it is frustrating that last second people try to get in the area at the last second. You just stand firm and if any people that try to force there way in your spot just tell them that this area is for my group.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
NovemberMom
Earning My Ears

We don't wait for fireworks... We just cut in front of people a few minutes before the firework show starts....
Just kidding
We actually watch the fireworks in front of the Main Street train station and as soon as the show is over we head out and avoid crowds. We have waited for parades a few times by IASW but only 10-15 minutes. My kids start getting ansy after 15 minutes then they decide they have to go potty, need a drink of water, etc.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #19
fctiger
DIS Veteran

Yeah most people said it, its not really worth it UNLESS you want the best spot in the place and you are patient.

I think the ONLY parade I waited an hour for was Soundsational, but it was only the second weekend it started playing so me and a friend scouted it early on MS since that was our main priority along with TLM and Star Tours which also opened that weekend! Now I wait maybe 15 mins before, but I know EXACTLY where to watch it to get a great view and never have to wait long for it. Same for fireworks, nearly anywhere along MS you are going to get a great show and you can show up 20 mins before it starts. Now if you want a 'premium' view then I guess you will have to get there an hour or even two early but I'm happy doing the 'cheap seats' and yeah you still get 95% of the show the others stood in line for hours while you spent 10-20 mins to get and probably did a lot more in that time as well. Fantasmic, yeah just do the second show! I never understand why people wait 4-5 hours for the 'good seats' when they only need to spend an hour or less for the second show. And you can easily get a decent view for the second show if you show up just 20-30 mins before.

So its all relative, but there is nothing I stand more than 30 mins for anymore. WOC is still a bigger time spender, but I give that an hour tops and I dont even bother with the viewing area much anymore. I just stand in the standby line 10 mins before it starts and love that just as much to be honest!
fctiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Honestly, for DW and I, its prime ride time. I'm sure once we have kids that will change but for now we gladly trade the parade and show for shorter ride times.
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
adorelc
Mouseketeer

We just went a few weeks ago and picked a spot for F! about an hour and 15 minutes before the show started. We were happy to sit for a while after a long day of walking. We were right behind the light tower that raises before the show so we had no one crowd us until when it raised. We were pushed, but I had my kids right up against the fence so we could protect them. We had a great view, but it was just about ruined by a woman who showed up right behind us as the show started and complained the entire time about how she could not see over us. I tried my best to ignore her, but I was so upset. Did she really expect that I would move so she could have the good spot? I am all for waiting for a spot, you just need to be prepared for the people that will push in all around you!
adorelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

We finally discovered the spot for fireworks where the walkway gets roped off and people aren't allowed to walk in front of you during the show. We really needed that spot so our 3 and 5 year old could see, they are getting too old and heavy for us to hold them. We grabbed a snack and just waited in the street for an hour and it worked out really well. We always do the 2nd Fantasmic and get a spot at the light tower about 20-30 min beforehand and then our kids can see at the railing.
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
LAWalz23
DIS Veteran

Is there anywhere outside the parks whre you could sit and watch the fireworks? We are staying atthe Grand Californian. Being a WDW vet, my favorite place to watch the fireworks is the Polynesian beach with the music piped in. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
nannyz
DIS Veteran

I watched a documentary once about kids in Anaheim who never get to go to DLR. They sit in the parking lots and watch the fireworks. I also have seen them going off as we walked out of DLR.
I am sure there are better places.
nannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWalz23 View Post
Is there anywhere outside the parks whre you could sit and watch the fireworks? We are staying atthe Grand Californian. Being a WDW vet, my favorite place to watch the fireworks is the Polynesian beach with the music piped in. Thanks for any info.
First, when are you going? This will relate to which fireworks you see.

Be advised that some of the fireworks shows - especially Remember Dreams Come True - were designed not only to be viewed inside the park but inside the hub of the park - and Main Street. There are many special effects that work around the hub. If viewed from outside you will miss 80% of the show.

If you want to see fireworks from outside, many of the GCH rooms that face DTD will allow you to see fireworks. You can also them well from the Esplanade between DL and DCA.

Good luck!

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Blue32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilouwho View Post
We finally discovered the spot for fireworks where the walkway gets roped off and people aren't allowed to walk in front of you during the show. We really needed that spot so our 3 and 5 year old could see, they are getting too old and heavy for us to hold them. We grabbed a snack and just waited in the street for an hour and it worked out really well. We always do the 2nd Fantasmic and get a spot at the light tower about 20-30 min beforehand and then our kids can see at the railing.
Would you care to share where this area is? I'd really my kids to be able to see the fireworks without us holding them up. We will be there at the end of Nov. so the huge tree will be blocking the views from the train station. Are kids aloud to stand on the cement ledge surrounding the partners statue?

Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

I am not a waiter ! I will invest 30 minutes for shows, parades, and fireworks (at both DL and WDW) but no more than that. The one exception is if I have something else to "do" during an hour wait.....for sample I would show up the hour prior for a dessert buffet viewing.
I am very willing to give up on the "perfect" view to have a happy experience . Happy experiences can't be built on the back of an hour wait, where I still have no control on the behaviors of others to ruin my investment of time.

Happy experiences involve me deciding on trade offs, and having some control.
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue32 View Post
Would you care to share where this area is? I'd really my kids to be able to see the fireworks without us holding them up. We will be there at the end of Nov. so the huge tree will be blocking the views from the train station. Are kids aloud to stand on the cement ledge surrounding the partners statue?

They block off the front half of the hub once the show starts, so you can't stand on the ledge, but we waited in the road where we saw where the ropes were going to go right next to the hub. It will be crowded until the show starts, but once they rope it off they don't let anyone through until the show is over. It was perfect! I'm not sure my description was that great, but ask the castmembers. You just have to make sure you are right at that line when the rope goes up or your kids will be staring at people's behinds instead of the fireworks
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilouwho View Post
They block off the front half of the hub once the show starts, so you can't stand on the ledge, but we waited in the road where we saw where the ropes were going to go right next to the hub. It will be crowded until the show starts, but once they rope it off they don't let anyone through until the show is over. It was perfect! I'm not sure my description was that great, but ask the castmembers. You just have to make sure you are right at that line when the rope goes up or your kids will be staring at people's behinds instead of the fireworks
When my kids were younger I aimed for spots towards the south side of the hub right on a curb. They then at least got a 4 inch advantage over those in front on the street. Since one looks mostly up at fireworks this was even more advantageous than just 4 inches.
DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
Blue32
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
When my kids were younger I aimed for spots towards the south side of the hub right on a curb. They then at least got a 4 inch advantage over those in front on the street. Since one looks mostly up at fireworks this was even more advantageous than just 4 inches.
I am having a hard time picturing since we have never seen fireworks at DL. How soon before the show would you need to arrive to secure a curb spot?
THANKS!
Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: