Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Who is this Orange Bird guy?

For those of you who may not know, or have been wondering what the Orange Bird is, and his connection to the gay community.....come sit next to the "cranky old man"....I wanna tell you a story.

Back when WDW opened, they had a sponsorship agreement with the Florida Citrus Growers, and in return, they agreed to create a character for them called Orange Bird. Anita Bryant was also under contract to promote Florida Citrus and she sang and appeared in a few promotional videos with Orange Bird. Anita started her anti-gay campaign and Disney decided to pull the Orange bird from the parks. The poor guy got the boot because of Anita!

He has had some fans over the years, and he has recently been welcomed back to the new Sunshine Tree, just like the song says! So it's kind of like a welcome home to a guy who got the boot for all the wrong reasons!

Ironically enough, the Orange Bird Mickey ears are rumored to go on sale on the first Saturday in June!

Here's a great video about the return...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cV2q9mgtI

OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
PHILCT
DIS Veteran

Mike thanks for posting the video.

I can't believe I forgot about Orange Bird at Walt Disney World in the 70's.
(I actually remember going after the Welch's Grape Juices more, I drank the dark grape, the red grape, the white grape, they were SO good on a hot day).

Boy this brings back memories of Anita and the boycott.

I'm glad that orange bird gets to make a return, he was cute, and was not part of the controversy.

HBO is planning to do a movie about Anita, and even interviewed her on her beliefs today, The script is written by a gay man, and he wants to be truthful about her point of view then and now. It may get released by the end of 2013.

The orange bird Mickey Hats are very cute, would I get booed for wearing one on Gay Days 2012, with a Rainbow Mickey ICON pin clipped on it ?

I wonder what Pete, Walter, John and Kevin have to say on the return of Orange Bird ? (Not dissing them, they are great guys, love to hear their own opinions on the podcast).

Phil
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Orange Bird is adorable. I look forward to seeing the new STT next week and btw Jason Grandt is HOT!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
LillsnJills
Mouseketeer

OMG I was JUST telling my partner about the Orange Bird, that he was my favorite costumed character when I visited as a child! I'm even more stoked for our trip in September now! I don't care if I'm 40 years old, this girl is GOING to get an Orange Bird Sippy again!

LillsnJills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILCT View Post
The orange bird Mickey Hats are very cute, would I get booed for wearing one on Gay Days 2012, with a Rainbow Mickey ICON pin clipped on it ?

Phil
I have a feeling the Orange Bird ears are going to be the "in" thing to wear this year!
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
MrPurrrfect
Purrrfectly Evil!

oh barf.
MrPurrrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to try a Citrus Swirl next trip. I really hope they're considering rebuilding the orange tree at the Terrace.

Some nice merch would be welcome, too... Classic piece figurine? Big Fig?
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
sgt623
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectroman71 View Post
i can't wait to try a citrus swirl next trip. I really hope they're considering rebuilding the orange tree at the terrace.

Some nice merch would be welcome, too... Classic piece figurine? Big fig?
big fig! Yes!!!
sgt623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

I was there earlier this month and didn't get to stop by. Durn-ed in laws expecting a tour guide. Missed out on a Dole whip and sweet pretzel from the Launching Pad too.

Oh well. Always next time.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
wcpamotm
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Citrus swirls are every bit as good as I'd remembered! Welcome back, Orange Bird.

[2014] June - Port Orleans ???? | May - Grand Floridan Villas 1429 [2013] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4535 | Aug - Saratoga Springs 8836 | June - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4543 | May - Beach Club Villas 269 [2012] May - Animal Kingdom Villas 5428 [2011] Dec - Boardwalk Villas 4064 | Jun - Royal Plaza 306 [2010] Dec - Old Key West 3836 | Aug - Bay Lake Tower 8237 [2009] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 1556 | Apr - Yacht Club 4057 [2007] Dec - Caribbean Beach 1231 [2004] May - Pop Century 6403 [2003] May - Coronado Springs 3492 [2002] Dec - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2203 | May - Boardwalk Inn 2266 [2001] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 5111 & Yacht Club 2061| May - Animal Kingdom Lodge 5136 [2000] Dec - Dixie Landings 1857 | May - Coronado Springs 7621 [1999] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 3023 | May - Beach Club 3584 | Mar - Caribbean Beach 4343 [1998] Nov - Port Orleans 3331 | Jun - Polynesian [1997] Dec - Dixie Landings 8420 | Jun - offsite [1994] Mar - Port Orleans 4301 [1992] Nov - offsite [1989] Apr - Caribbean Beach 1344 [72,73,75,76,82] stayed w/family ... and a few other times when I was in town doing something else ...
wcpamotm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: