Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #931
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Nice updates. I can't believe how many cable car thingys there are there. I had no idea that Hong Kong had so many peaks! I loved the picture of the Monk, I thought the bush around his head was sort of a funny looking wig!

Looking forward to the Big Buddha!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #932
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Those cable cars are cool. I am glad they opened in time for you to see them (and am hoping you do not get stuck for 2 hours). The bottoms are neat. What amazing things you saw on that!
The service was working perfectly whilst we were there. We didn't get stuck at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
The cable car looks awesome! Pretty disappointed it was closed for maintenance while we were there - the day we were going to go was beautifully clear and sunny too! Nevermind, we'll just have to make sure we go again one day
I wasn't sure that the cable car was going to be back up and running for us. So, we had planned to check in the second week. I was just so happy that we had dinner with S and she could confirm that it was opened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'd have to work up some courage to go on the cable cars, they really look steep.

Another nice set of pics for us to enjoy.
I'm sure that you'd be fine. It doesn't look that steep when you get into it at the Tung Chung terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Knowing very little at this stage about Hong Kong but rapidly being remedied by Princess in Oz it seems like its all peaks everywhere? That's three now. Hmm seems we need to set aside a peak a day?
I really had so much time on this trip that I could take a peak a day at a very leisurely pace. I think that ehsmum managed to do it all in 4 days. Just depends on how much time you have WHEN you decide to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
We're really looking forward to seeing the buddah - just showed DBF the pictures of the Crystal Cabin and said "Isn't that cool?!!" He just informed me he has a fear of heights?!!!!!! But he thinks he'll be ok....I guess there's always the bus option (for him that is that cable car ride looks too cool lol!!)
He could always go in the standard cable car with a normal floor. There are about 3 or 4 of those standard cable cars to every one of the crystal cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
DH would not have made the cable ride, for some reason he does not do so well in heights where he cant see, but I would be right there with you.

Everything looks great.
I was pleasantly surprised at how great it really was. Sometimes, reality doesn't live up to the marketing and tourist hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
We went for the crystal cabin thanks to queenie's advice on here and it was the best move. It really wasn't that much more expensive and we walked right on, while the wait for a standard cabin was 90 minutes!

We had the opposite weather - clear on the way up but too foggy to see Buddha once we were there!
90 minutes???? Makes me really glad that we set out as early as we did then.

I think the last time my parents went with our TA friend, it took them about that time. And then they said that when they got to the top there were heaps of people climbing up the stairs; so they just stayed at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Nice updates. I can't believe how many cable car thingys there are there. I had no idea that Hong Kong had so many peaks! I loved the picture of the Monk, I thought the bush around his head was sort of a funny looking wig!

Looking forward to the Big Buddha!
I had to go back and look at the monk picture.
It's not easy being green!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 AM   #933
PrincessInOz
in

Walking Beneath the Foot of the Giant Buddha

We walked out of the gate marking the entry/exit for the Ngong Ping Village and headed across to the gate marking the entry/exit for the Giant Buddha.

In between the two gates is a little patch of ‘no man’s land’…so to speak. Never let it be said that the Chinese are not an enterprising mob…..take a look.

I didn’t even stop to browse.

The walk past the gates is lined with these not-Terracotta-warrior statues.

These are the 12 Divine Generals that guard the statue, each one representing a different Chinese Zodiac animal and each one carrying a different weapon.

There were also a whole pack or 5 of dogs! I don’t know why they were there and this was definitely a case of letting the sleeping dog lie.

The steps up to the Giant Buddha are on the right hand side. We were just beneath his feet!

I got DH to take a picture of me on…er…his camera.

There are a few steps…240 or so of them.

Entry to the steps is to the right of the picture. You will find a ticket booth located here. You can walk up and around the base of the Giant Buddha free of charge. However, there is an option to go inside the Giant Buddha, which will cost money.

As with everything, there are options for this….and it involves food. The first option for entry comes with a snack and a drink and costs about HK$25 per person, which amounts to $4 in our money. The second option for entry comes with lunch and costs around HK$75 per person, about $10 in our money. Mrs Angel and the 3 of us decided to take the chance with the snack option.

So, let’s start the climb!

I swiped this from DH’s camera. There were a couple of beautiful artefacts placed along the way. I don’t know how old this bronze urn was; it might have been faux old as the Giant Buddha was only opened in 1993, I couldn’t really say for sure.

This was the other artefact that kinda marked the 2/3 way up with one final stretch of steps to go.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #934
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Up Close with the Tian Tan Giant Buddha

At the top of the steps, we were to come close to the Tian Tan Giant Buddha.

The Giant Buddha sits at 34 meters or 112 feet tall and is constructed from bronze. I noticed that there was a road that came all the way up to the base level here, removing the need to climb the steps. I guess it caters for anyone who has a disability and cannot climb up. However, as there are 3 different levels around the base of Giant Buddha, I'm not sure if anyone with a disability would be able to do more than just go round the bottom level.

There are most steps up to the base of the lotus, where the Buddha sits on. We did the circle round first.

I gather that the Giant Buddha was made from over 200 pieces of bronze. It was all intricately put together.

You’ve already seen that he has one hand up and the other is placed on his lap….

…with the palm up.

I swiped some of the close up shots from DH. It was starting to spit a little at this stage and I was reluctant to change camera lenses to the telezoom.

The Swastiki symbol is one of the oldest symbols known to man. I’ve always been fascinated with the fact that the Swastiki as depicted on Buddha’s chest is meant to be a symbol for good luck, peace, prosperity and fertility. It is also a symbol that has appeared in many civilizations including the Mayan, Mesopotamia, Navajo, Hopi and ancient India. However, the true meaning seems to have been mostly lost after the second world war, when the Inverted Swatiki was used by the Nazi’s as a symbol of the Third Reich and all the hate and racial prejudice that they engendered. It continues to be used by the Buddhists in the original meaning.

On his hand is a chariot wheel with 8 spokes…the Dharma Chakra, the Wheel of Life…representing Buddha’s teaching to the path of enlightenment.

As you climb up, you’ll find the six Boddhisatva deities, or the Offering of the Six Devas with flowers, incense, lamp, ointment, fruit and music respectively to the Giant Buddha, symbolizing charity, morality, patience, zeal, meditation and wisdom, which are all necessary to enter into nirvana according to Buddhism theory.

These Devas are made from stone.

We climbed up to the top level. I expect that the views would be reasonable from here. We mostly had the grey cloud so I couldn't rightly say; but the view back to the village was good.

Around the lotus base are a number of doorways. I never worked out which hall this door took you into. It was closed for us.

But this was our entry inside the Giant Buddha.

Sadly for us, it was strictly no photography. Inside were a number of halls and exhibits. I remember an area where there were shrines and the remains of the departed and could understand why the no photography rule was in place here.

We also entered an area where there was a circular stairway going down. There was a huge bell at the top and it rang whilst we were heading down. The sound wasn’t loud but I hadn’t expected the bell to ring at that particular moment. At the bottom of the stairway was a most impressive carved wooden statue. We then entered a hall that seemed to circled right round that contained artwork, calligraphy and artefacts. There was a lot of Chinese writing and signs; and as I don’t read Chinese, I can’t provide much more insight than what you can find on the internet, which is that these were depicting Buddhism. I also gather that there is a relic of Buddha himself. I can’t remember if we saw that or not.

When we exited from inside, it was spitting a little and so we made our way down to the bottom.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #935
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

I’m not getting any Wisdom: The Left side of the Path was a minor Mis-step for me

Remember how I said that the Buddha was located on the right? We headed towards the left side…

The Piazza was nice…

…and it did provide a nice view back to the Giant Buddha.

But I’d made a tactical mis-step in heading for the Piazza. I’d forgotten that I was meant to look for the Wisdom Trail which was up the road some more.
So, I missed out on the Getting of the Wisdom Trail….guess I’ll have to do without the extra wisdom for now. And for anyone reading this and heading up to the Giant Buddha, if you make it to the Wisdom Trail, I’d really appreciate if you took some shots for me and post them!

Because, when I turned round, I got distracted by this gate.

And we were all pulled in!

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 05-21-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #936
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Looks awesome-and thanks for the history/religious lesson-its nice to know what you are looking at! You area already so wise-you obviously didn't need any more! Makes the Nara Buddha look tiny at just under 15m. I am waiting to see where the gate leads to.

My DD saw a huge Buddha on a mountain as she was flying in to Kyoto-she is still trying to work out where it might have been.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #937
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

I really had so much time on this trip that I could take a peak a day at a very leisurely pace. I think that ehsmum managed to do it all in 4 days. Just depends on how much time you have WHEN you decide to go.
Yep, 4 days in HK proper and 2 at HKDL. I would have loved to have longer and explored a little more but we got to do all the highlights and everything on our "must do" list in 4 days .

The 90 minute wait was only for the standard cabin, the crystal cabin was walk on. I didn't understand why so many people were waiting for the standard cabin when the price wasn't that much cheaper

I love your pics of the Buddha! We couldn't see any of that detail because of the fog. This is what we saw

And this was our view of the village below

Last edited by ehsmum; 05-21-2012 at 06:42 AM.
ehsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #938
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Love, Love , Love the pictures and write up of the Buddha!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #939
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Phew, all caught up. The dinner looked really good. All that shopping, I would have really felt over load. I cant remember, but inside those shopping centers do they have food courts? I am shocked that you didnt take pics inside the store of the shoes....

I love the animal shows. I loved swimming with the dolphins. The ones with bottle necks noses , they are really strong. That was some rain pellting. I guess they do not have drainage for the standing water. Now I see why you said your shoes got soaked. No pic of you wringing out your shoes?

I couldnt get on that cable car. That is some trek if you choose to walk it. That buddah ( sp? ) is huge! Dont you hate that , you get some where and you cant take pictures.

You were such a trooper going through all that and still going. My kind of weather, I love the rain. Hopefully I can stay caught up.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #940
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

I am in total awe of your buddah pictures!! I'm really looking forward to going here Do you think it would be better to go on a week day or a weekend? We arrive on a Saturday at tea time and want to avoid doing Disney on a weekend - seeing as we're already on Lantau - we might do this (Tian Tan Buddah) on the Sunday?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #941
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I love the sleeping dog in the middle of the walkway. It is really beautiful there. All of the statues are lovely and so detailed. The Buddha must have taken a lot of work.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #942
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Ehsmum-your pics of the Great Buddha look like our pics of Haleakala in Hawaii-beautiful hot sunny day down below-up top couldn't see our hands in front of us!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #943
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Looks awesome-and thanks for the history/religious lesson-its nice to know what you are looking at! You area already so wise-you obviously didn't need any more! Makes the Nara Buddha look tiny at just under 15m. I am waiting to see where the gate leads to.

My DD saw a huge Buddha on a mountain as she was flying in to Kyoto-she is still trying to work out where it might have been.
If your DD works out where the Buddha was, post it on your Japan TR for info. If I make it over to Japan, I might try and track it down.

And thanks for the vote of confidence....but I can always use wisdom; and lots more of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
Yep, 4 days in HK proper and 2 at HKDL. I would have loved to have longer and explored a little more but we got to do all the highlights and everything on our "must do" list in 4 days .

The 90 minute wait was only for the standard cabin, the crystal cabin was walk on. I didn't understand why so many people were waiting for the standard cabin when the price wasn't that much cheaper

I love your pics of the Buddha! We couldn't see any of that detail because of the fog. This is what we saw

And this was our view of the village below

On reflection and looking at your photos, I'll take our drizzle and low lying cloud day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Love, Love , Love the pictures and write up of the Buddha!
Glad you love, love, loved it! Hope I get to keep the love in future updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Phew, all caught up. The dinner looked really good. All that shopping, I would have really felt over load. I cant remember, but inside those shopping centers do they have food courts? I am shocked that you didnt take pics inside the store of the shoes....

I love the animal shows. I loved swimming with the dolphins. The ones with bottle necks noses , they are really strong. That was some rain pellting. I guess they do not have drainage for the standing water. Now I see why you said your shoes got soaked. No pic of you wringing out your shoes?

I couldnt get on that cable car. That is some trek if you choose to walk it. That buddah ( sp? ) is huge! Dont you hate that , you get some where and you cant take pictures.

You were such a trooper going through all that and still going. My kind of weather, I love the rain. Hopefully I can stay caught up.
Most of the malls had proper restaurants and food courts. There were restaurants EVERYWHERE and on the strangest floors. That dinner that we had was on a higher level floor in the mall.

And I was too busy running around looking at shoes to take pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
I am in total awe of your buddah pictures!! I'm really looking forward to going here Do you think it would be better to go on a week day or a weekend? We arrive on a Saturday at tea time and want to avoid doing Disney on a weekend - seeing as we're already on Lantau - we might do this (Tian Tan Buddah) on the Sunday?
My original plan was to go see the Buddha on a Sunday; the Sunday after we arrived. That was before I booked in for the Dim Sum lunch (only available at weekends and public holidays and as that was when we were still at Disney I took the opportunity to go experience the Dim Sum).....and then I found out that the cable car was closed for maintenance and reopening early April; so we deferred the trip out to the Buddha till this day.

I would say that if you do go to the Buddha on Sunday, go early. I wouldn't necessary avoid Disney on a Sunday. As my experience showed, the Sunday crowd at Disney was actually better than the Monday. If I'd listened to that advise of avoiding Disney at the weekend, we would have been jammed packed in with the mainland Chinese holiday makers on Monday AND Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I love the sleeping dog in the middle of the walkway. It is really beautiful there. All of the statues are lovely and so detailed. The Buddha must have taken a lot of work.
I loved the sleeping dog too; hence the picture.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #944
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

Just caught up again!!! Great informative updates as usual. Fab photos, too. It is a very photogenic city. Ocean Park looks interesting - I've never been there, but it could be a good spot to visit if I find myself in HK.

Thanks for the updates!

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #945
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
Just caught up again!!! Great informative updates as usual. Fab photos, too. It is a very photogenic city. Ocean Park looks interesting - I've never been there, but it could be a good spot to visit if I find myself in HK.

Thanks for the updates!
Glad you found the time to pop back in!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: