Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
RachVH
Mouseketeer

The Wedding Was Great, but now for the Disneymoon! An October 2012 PTR -Updated 10/3!

Hello everyone, welcome to my first PTR! I have been lurking for weeks to plan this Disneymoon, but I wanted to join in on the fun and start my first PTR. But wait, I am getting ahead of myself.

First, the cast:
This is me, Rachel:

And yes, that is totally what I look like, every day, in real life! Ok no, but we just got married, and they are the best pictures of me (probably ever) so I am using them everywhere.

Here is my DH, Ryan

We've been together for about 10 years, but we just got married on March 17, 2012. He's a professor and so it kind of limits when we can go away, hence the 6 month delay between the wedding in the honeymoon. But this way, we'll be in WDW for the Food and Wine Festival!

The details

We will be arriving in FL on Friday, October 5, 2012 and flying home on Sunday, October 14, 2012. We will have 6 day park hoppers, and will be staying for 6 nights...... here!

Neither Ry or I have been to Disney in over 10 years, so we are so excited. We POFQ based on the reviews of being a small moderate. I know it has its good points and its bad points, but I am really looking forward to staying there. The other 3 nights of the trip will be spent as follows: one night at Universal so we can go to Harry Potter, and 2 nights over in Safety Harbor (near Tampa) to visit some of our relatives.

Well, I think that's enough of an intro so I will leave it hear to pick up later for more details on our itinerary!

Fun Disney Themed Wedding Gifts
Day 1 and 2 Itineraries
Day 3 and 4 Itineraries
Why We Won't Be Seeing It's Tough to be a Bug
The Disney Box
Tickets...We got Mickey!
Day 5 and 6 Itineraries
My Planning Binder
What should we eat while in the world?
Day 7 and 8 Itineraries
Disney crafts and park bags and pins, oh my!
A question of ears...
39 Days to Go? Time for some (more) shopping!
19 Days to Go! And ch-ch-changes!
Day 9 and 10 Itineraries
Two Days to Go! Last post of the PTR?

Last edited by RachVH; 10-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.
RachVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Merida
DIS Veteran

I love reading about Disneymoons! Subbing in.

And your wedding pictures are gorgeous!
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merida View Post
I love reading about Disneymoons! Subbing in.

And your wedding pictures are gorgeous!
Welcome and thanks for joining me! And thanks for the compliment on our pictures, I have to give the credit to our amazing photographer, he was incredible!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Just waving HI! Sounds like a lovely trip. Can't wait to hear more about your plans. This is our first year working around school schedules and its been a challenge, but thankfully we have fall break. I would hate to try and go to Disney during "normal" break times.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
ladytink75
Mouseketeer

Hope you don't mind me hopping on also I just LOVE reading about Disneymoon's. My trip falls almost right in line with your Disneymoon. Can't wait to hear all about your plans for this trip
Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu View Post
Just waving HI! Sounds like a lovely trip. Can't wait to hear more about your plans. This is our first year working around school schedules and its been a challenge, but thankfully we have fall break. I would hate to try and go to Disney during "normal" break times.
Hello back! Fall break is not the perfect time to go, because obviously the Monday holiday means that it is a little busier than the rest of October, but obviously it is still better than the middle of summer! The only other time we could have gone was actually right after our wedding, but that was spring break for my DH and thousands of college students. Definitely not the atmosphere I wanted for my honeymoon.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytink75 View Post
Hope you don't mind me hopping on also I just LOVE reading about Disneymoon's. My trip falls almost right in line with your Disneymoon. Can't wait to hear all about your plans for this trip
Of course I don't mind! It's been so fun finding other people who will be down there the same time as us.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Ok, and now for some fun stuff. Ry and I are both huge Disney freaks, and this is well known by most people. How well known? Well in addition to getting us an awesome new vacuum (which we were super excited about as we have a dog who sheds A LOT) his siblings put together and adorable gift that they gave to us at the rehearsal dinner. Want to see what was inside? I can't remember in what order we pulled everything out, but here are the contents of the gift:

We are saving these to use at some of our dinners at WDW.

They also gave us new Disney pajama pants! These are mine:

And these are Ry's

The gift also included these amazing bride and groom caramel and chocolate covered apples, but those got eaten soon after we returned home.

We were both so touched by the gift. Ry and I met on the first day of college, so I have known his family for over 10 years now, and it is still strange to think of his younger siblings as "grown ups" even though the two youngest will be a junior and a senior in college next year. To me they are eternally 8 and 9, the ages that they were when I met them.

Anyway, in addition to the awesome gifts from his siblings, we also got another gift from Ry's best friend and his wife:

So, nope! Nobody has any idea about our obsession with Disney.

Next Up: Our planned itinerary and ADRs!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

I'm here to read about your upcoming trip too. Funny that when my husband and I got married we thought about going to Walt Disney World for our honeymoon, but didn't. I grew up in a large family so vacations from upstate New York to Disney World were not an option. the First time we went was when our daughter was 6 and we've been hooked ever since. My daughter has even stated that she wants her honeymoon to be in WDW. Now she just has to marry someone who either loves Disney as much as she does or loves her enough to go to make her happy.
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usd2bmd View Post
I'm here to read about your upcoming trip too. Funny that when my husband and I got married we thought about going to Walt Disney World for our honeymoon, but didn't. I grew up in a large family so vacations from upstate New York to Disney World were not an option. the First time we went was when our daughter was 6 and we've been hooked ever since. My daughter has even stated that she wants her honeymoon to be in WDW. Now she just has to marry someone who either loves Disney as much as she does or loves her enough to go to make her happy.
Your daughter sounds like my kind of girl. Someone recently asked my DH and I how we decided to go to Disney. My standard response is that we're just not "sit on the beach people," but recently he answered the question by saying that when we started talking about taking a honeymoon I said that I would like to go to WDW, and that my parents had gone on their honeymoon there (2 months after the park opened in 1971!) and he said "sounds good!". His going along with my ideas will be one of the themes of this PTR (and our relationship in general ).
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

We had a somewhat non-traditional honeymoon too. We went to Paris (which is fairly traditional) but we went in January. We got married on New Years Eve so we arrived in Paris on Jan 2nd. Not too many tourists then.

We saw a different side of Paris. Notre Dame covered in snow. No lines at anything. Lots of yummy french onion soup. Mmmmm...

We are going back this year for our 10th anniversary. Leaving Christmas day and returning New Years Day.

Be sure to save some money in the budget to get some wonderful Disney holiday ornaments...especially a 1st Christmas together or a Disney Bride and Groom ornament.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
RachVH
Mouseketeer

A little more about us, and Itinerary for Day 1 and 2

So before I go into our itinerary, I thought I would give you a little background into my planning style. I am totally a type A personality, and like to know all of my options thoroughly before I make a final decision. I recently planned our entire wedding of 150 people and designed the programs, menus, invitations, Save the Dates and the entire scheme myself. After seeing all of the work I put into everything my mother asked “what do people do when they have these huge extravagant weddings?” My response “Um…they hire people to do all this?”

Anyway, it was in planning the wedding that my DH and I learned that the way we plan things is that I do a ton of research and narrow the 15-20 options for everything down to my top three and then he has input on those. Well, he has input if it is something he cares about. If it isn’t a decision he is invested in he just lets me handle it. In fact, when I asked him how involved he wanted to be with the Disneymoon planning, he said “I kind of figured it would be like the wedding. I show up at the time you have told me in the outfit you picked out for me.” Of course he was kidding, mostly.

We booked the trip in late February (well, our flights and room reservations anyway) and I started doing my research about ADRs and looked over our options for dining. I knew I wanted to do Victoria and Alberts, but I wasn’t sure about everything else. Ry and I decided that we just wanted to do breakfast in our room each day, and that as of right now character dining isn’t really for us. We love meeting the characters when we can, but we would rather try to do that in the parks. So we thought that we would do a "nice" dinner each night, but do counter service for lunch. We are also planning on ordering some groceries for breakfast in the room, and I will be getting a refillable mug to suppor my diet coke habit.

I counted back 180 days from when we were scheduled to arrive, which turned out to be…Easter Sunday. Lovely. So there I was at 6:00 a.m. on my laptop in my MiL’s house trying desperately to make dining reservations online, and the system wasn’t working. So I got ready for mass and called at exactly 7:00 and got everything that I wanted, except for Vicky and Al’s, which you have to call directly. They didn’t open until 9:00 a.m. so I went off to 8:00 a.m. mass and then called in the car on the way back. Luckily my in-laws already think I am crazy, so they weren’t fazed by this behavior at all. Spoiler alert: Even though I got all the ADRs I wanted, they were not all meant to be . More about that later.

Ok, with all that out of the way, here is our expected itinerary:

Day 1: Friday, October 5, 2012

We are scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 4:53 p.m. We are planning on renting a town car instead of doing ME, so I am hoping to arrive at POFQ between 6:00 and 6:30. We will check in, unpack and then grab the boat to DTD to do a little (window?) shopping and get dinner. The plan right now is to head over to the Earl of Sandwich, but that might change based on wait times and last minute decisions. From there we want to go over to the Polynesian to watch the water parade and wishes from the beach, possibly with a drink and an Aloha whip. I want to try to get a little “Disney” in right away without actually going into the parks. We will have 6 day park hoppers (I ordered them yesterday!) and I want to use them for 6 full days. After wishes it will be back to POFQ for possibly a late night dip in the hot tub, but probably just to go to sleep.

Day 2: Saturday, October 6, 2012 (First full day at Disney!)
We will most likely be doing Animal Kingdom this day. I checked out the estimated crowd levels on a couple of different sites, so I knew we would not be heading to Epcot for MK this day, though we will be heading to Epcot later on. I wish I could still tell you that our very first ADR of the trip would be for dinner at Bistro de Paris tonight, which is what we originally had a 7:15 p.m. ADR for, but it was not meant to be. Bistro is scheduled for renovations from the beginning of August through the end of October, so we were notified last week that our ADR was canceled. We were offered an ADR at Chefs de France at the same time, but it just didn’t have the appeal to me that Bistro had, plus I was so disappointed I knew I wouldn’t be able to give Chefs a fair shot knowing that we could have had Bistro. Instead, we will be having dinner at 7:00 p.m. at La Hacienda de San Angelo. I am expecting that it will be crazy at Epcot on this Saturday with it being a F&W weekend day, but we are going to try to see Illuminations this night too, if we can.

Ok well I think that is enough of our itinerary for one post, I will be back later!

Next up: Day 3 and 4 Itinerary and ADRs
Old 05-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

joining in. we will overlap a little bit- we are staying at POR. I love your gifts!

May 2011 CBR TR. Oct 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR. Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
lbuzz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
joining in. we will overlap a little bit- we are staying at POR. I love your gifts!
Thanks for joining in! I am sure we will get over to POR for a little while at least, if only to check out the additional pools!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
InNeverlandWithPan
I never want to grow up!

Your trip sounds like it will be great! My best friend and I stayed at the POFQ last November for 8 nights and we LOVED IT. It is really small, was always very quiet/peaceful, and having the river/boat launch to DTD right there was really awesome. We were in building 2, and it was a great location. This was our view:

My fiance and I are also planning our Disneymoon right now. We are getting married in February though, so pricing for our time hasn't even opened up yet. I honestly am having the toughest time deciding where to stay... hoping to go somewhere new but there is a good chance we will end up at POFQ.

Hope the planning continues to go well, and congratulations! You were a gorgeous bride and have a very handsome groom!

Pre/Trip Reports: Peter Pan's last chance to whisk me away before I take the plunge! A Nov 2012 PTR, "It's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow..." A February 2013 Disneymoon PTR

July 2000 - All Star Music, July 2002 - All Star Music, August 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, November 2009 - Pop Century, November 2010 - Pop Century, November 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room), February 2013 Disneymoon - Art of Animation, Beach Club Villas, Coronado Springs & The Disney Dream, December 2013 - All Star Sports, February 2014 - The Disney Fantasy
InNeverlandWithPan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: