Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #76
FoodLover
Founder of MouseSavers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudinhd View Post
This is helpful information! My husband is wondering what keeps someone from purchasing 20 of them and locking in the price for the next 20 years...
Vouchers only lock the price for one year from date of purchase. After that they can charge you the difference between the voucher cost and the current price.

I was partially incorrect in my answer above, by the way. They now sell a regular pass online as well as a voucher. So you do need to pick the "gift voucher" option.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
FoodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #77
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda1966 View Post
Just bought my tixs from Ares travel. I'm surprised at how much more I paid for 4 day hoppers this year than I paid last year. It went up 30+ dollars. The year before it was ~ 20 dollars. They really are getting aggressive with the prices (and so are the hotels). I guess the economy must be doing better than they are telling us on the news.
Actually, the problem is fewer people coming in from out of town means more money is needed per person.

The parks are busier than ever, but a good chunk are passholders, hence why the major increase there. Many passholders do not spend much money in the park, my recommendation is that they should track what each passholder spends and give them a discount off of renewal equal to 5% (or something like that) of what they spent throughout the year. It would encourage more spending and an extra 5% off isn't going to kill them, especially when given as a discount on renewals.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #78
pudinhd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodLover View Post
Vouchers only lock the price for one year from date of purchase. After that they can charge you the difference between the voucher cost and the current price.

I was partially incorrect in my answer above, by the way. They now sell a regular pass online as well as a voucher. So you do need to pick the "gift voucher" option.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Thank you! I was thinking it was a ticket that started when you took them to the front gate. We might go to the Disney Store tomorrow and see if they sell the premium annual pass.
Too Many Trips to Disneyland to Count, 1999 WDW Honeymoon, 2005 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2008 WDW Vacation, 2009 Backstage Magic ABD, 2011 Disney Cruise to Neverland, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, 2012 Alaskan Disney Cruise, 2013 Repo LA to Vancouver Disney Cruise, 2014 Western Caribbean Disney Cruise, 2014 Backstage Magic ABD
pudinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #79
Lorinda
Mouseketeer

Ok my puchase timed out as I was filling in everyones AP info. Maybe that's a good thing after reading the last couple pages here. I had put in for 5 Ap's I didn't notice gift voucher option... What is the difference I don't get it.

Last trip ... 6/2/2012 thru 6/6/2012

recent trip : Last week of April 2011

Me,hubby, 3 daughters, 1 son, 2 son in laws, 6 grand children ! 2,3,6,10,11,11 14 total !
Lorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #80
Disneyluvr2
I'll never out grow the kids table!

Quote:
YES. Buy a new pass online at Disneyland.com and you'll receive a voucher good for one year. You do not have to pay the upgraded price when you activate the voucher at the park.

The only AP you can't do this with is the Premier Pass, which is only sold in person.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Thank you Mary! So if I buy a new pass tomorrow and get a voucher, will it will be good until next May...or a year from when I activate it?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #81
Lorinda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda View Post
Ok my puchase timed out as I was filling in everyones AP info. Maybe that's a good thing after reading the last couple pages here. I had put in for 5 Ap's I didn't notice gift voucher option... What is the difference I don't get it.

5 of us are going at the same time... there is a 6th that needs one too but won't be on the first trip and also I (cc holder) won't be with when he goes. Does this matter? These will be all deluxe AP's

Last trip ... 6/2/2012 thru 6/6/2012

recent trip : Last week of April 2011

Me,hubby, 3 daughters, 1 son, 2 son in laws, 6 grand children ! 2,3,6,10,11,11 14 total !
Lorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #82
FoodLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyluvr2 View Post
Thank you Mary! So if I buy a new pass tomorrow and get a voucher, will it will be good until next May...or a year from when I activate it?
I've been told by several different CMs that the voucher locks in the price for one year from date of purchase. You can activate it anytime within that year and your pass will be valid for a year from the date of activation.

However, just to confuse things: someone just told me the price is no longer locked for a year, but only until the end of 2012. Ugh, as usual, can't get a straight answer from Disney!

In either case, once that period is up, the voucher is still valued at whatever you paid, but you'd have to pay the price difference at time of activation.

Personally I don't think I'd bother buying a voucher unless I knew for sure I was going in the next few months.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #83
Disneyluvr2
I'll never out grow the kids table!

Mary, you're a busy little Mouseketter tonight! Thank you so much for all your time and info!!! I just bought a Deluxe voucher for my trip in Sept. Worst case senario...I'll have to pay the difference if it doesn't work, but it sounds like it should. Now I can sleep tonight!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #84
OctoberDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Hi

Sorry but I don't understand? If we purchase APs online tonight and don't activate them until September, we HAVE to buy gift vouchers? Why?

Appreciate the help...just trying to make sure we do it right! Thank you!

OctoberDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #85
papamouse1
Papa Moo Moo Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
So the 6 day park hoppers won't change? They're not on the list. Think I'd best be ordering my tickets for Sept Now!!
I wouldn't count on them not going up, just because they aren't listed.

Well, I guess I better just go ahead and buy my tickets for November. We are getting the CityPass and doing SeaWorld and Universal as well with a 3-day PH for DL... but even that small ticket is going up aminimum of $150 for my family of 4.... I was always relieved with DL prices compared to WDW, but now a basic 3-day costs $1000 for the 4 of us? Ouch!!

1999-2005 yearly DLC trips - various non-Disney hotels 2006 - DLC - Paradise Pier Hotel *Joined DVC! 2007 - Disney Cruise & WDW for our 20th wedding anniversary 2008 - DLC - Grand Californian 2009 - WDW- Old Key West & Animal Kingdom-Kidani 2010 - WDW- Beach Club & Animal Kingdom 2011 - Disney Cruise - the new Disney Dream & Holidays @ WDW! BCV & AKV Concierge April 2012 - MR Anniversary Cruise Nov 2012 - DLC to see Holidays & "WoC" May 2013 - Aulani! Aug2013 WDW & Universal Studios March 2013 Travel Agent AEP DCL/WDW
papamouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #86
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

This makes me so glad that I bought my Premium AP a couple of months before I planned to activate it. Not sure if I'm going to renew next year at that price.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #87
FoodLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberDisney View Post
Sorry but I don't understand? If we purchase APs online tonight and don't activate them until September, we HAVE to buy gift vouchers? Why?

Appreciate the help...just trying to make sure we do it right! Thank you!
I don't fully understand the new online AP offerings. My concern is that the regular annual passes they are now selling online may be pre-activated, meaning they expire a year from when you BUY them.

I haven't bought an annual pass myself using the new online system. Maybe someone here has done it recently and can tell us how it worked when they used the pass for the first time.

In any case it can't hurt to buy the gift vouchers, and I think that's safer because the value of the gift vouchers should be good for some time (probably a year based on what I've been told) -- meaning they can be activated on arrival at DL without incurring an upcharge.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #88
Plutos Mommy
Earning My Ears

I think I understand this correctly. My AP expires in August. If I buy a voucher tonight I can lock in the price (with it being good until the end of the year or maybe to a year) and get an new AP in August (or whenever I can make it back) good for year from the date I activate it?

I am so glad I saw your post, due to horrible traffic my daughter decided to stop at DL tonight for a couple of hours for a break. I was going to update her AP to a Premier for her graduation next weekend as we are headed to WDW next month, but as she is there right now I'm guessing it would be best for her to do it tonight.
Plutos Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #89
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

I guess after our July trip, we'll be sticking with WDW for a while.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #90
FoodLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutos Mommy View Post
I think I understand this correctly. My AP expires in August. If I buy a voucher tonight I can lock in the price (with it being good until the end of the year or maybe to a year) and get an new AP in August (or whenever I can make it back) good for year from the date I activate it?
Yes. I've done this myself several times to avoid price increases.

There are two questions unanswered right now because DL has recently changed its online AP system:

1. Are the regular APs sold online "pre-activated" (and thus expire a year from the date of purchase), or are they activated when you take them to the park? I don't know for sure, and for that reason I recommend buying the "gift voucher" option just to be safe. Then take the voucher to DL and exchange it for a new AP whenever you are ready to start using your new AP.

2. Most sources are telling me the AP vouchers can be exchanged for a year without paying an upcharge. One source says the upcharge applies after the end of the calendar year.

Both are fairly minor issues. If I had an AP expiring in August and definitely wanted to "renew" it, I would buy a "gift voucher" for a new pass now, before the price goes up. Losing the renewal discount is nothing compared with these AP price increases!

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: