Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #136
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Checked out the ABD, looks cool, but I have 2 problems. My DD wants to see the leaning tower. I know, leaning tower, versus the statue of David and other pieces of rock carved by that painter guy, who hated to paint.

I still chuckle at the thought of him cursing at the pope as he fell off the scaffolding while painting the ceiling of the chapel.

Anyway, I also really want to see Pompey. So, looks like I'll have to do some soul searching.

Welcome DisneyMomJen.

Have I missed somebody? Wen-Tom, I just noticed I had misspelled your moniker. Sorry. I corrected it.

Now, maybe that 3 nights /4 days before might work on the ABD. Does anybody else's head start spinning a little as you start to work on the details???

Last edited by Figment_Fan; 05-04-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Figment_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #137
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Oops, forgot

DisneyMomJen, I told my son about your DS(18) on the ship. He was glad that there would be somebody else in the same situation. I'm interested in seeing how this works out for kids their age.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #138
mom24cuties
Earning My Ears

We are also booked on this cruise. me, DH, DS (11) DD (9), DD (7) DD (4).
Looking forward to it!
mom24cuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #139
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

hello mom24cuties. Welcome. Added you to the roll call.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #140
Tony Cadwallader
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
Checked out the ABD, looks cool, but I have 2 problems. My DD wants to see the leaning tower. I know, leaning tower, versus the statue of David and other pieces of rock carved by that painter guy, who hated to paint.

I still chuckle at the thought of him cursing at the pope as he fell off the scaffolding while painting the ceiling of the chapel.

Anyway, I also really want to see Pompey. So, looks like I'll have to do some soul searching.

Welcome DisneyMomJen.

Have I missed somebody? Wen-Tom, I just noticed I had misspelled your moniker. Sorry. I corrected it.

Now, maybe that 3 nights /4 days before might work on the ABD. Does anybody else's head start spinning a little as you start to work on the details???

I would recommend Pompei
Tony Cadwallader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #141
DisneyMomJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post

Welcome DisneyMomJen.

Thanks Figment Fan!

We did the Disney Med Cruise in 2010 and hired a private driver/tour guide for Florence, Naples and Rome. There are 6 of us, so cost wise it worked out better, but I think overall it worked out great for us. We were able to see so much and combine multiple 'Disney tours' in one. In Florence, we were able to see everything which included David (amazing!!!) and the Leaning Tower of Pisa (although we did not have time to go in and walk up). Definitely go to Pompei in Naples. We only had about 2 hours there and I felt we needed more time. After our cruise I said I wanted to go back just to have more time in Pompei.
DisneyMomJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #142
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevesmum View Post
Hi honeybear 66

Our dd will also be 6 when we sail and we live in Scotland as well. We sailed the magic in 2011 and had the most fantastic time. We have not told dd about cruise as too many sleeps to count though she still talks about the kids club and has been asking when she can go back on the big ship. Any questions just ask.
Our 6 year old (will be 8 when we cruise) and her sister who will be 5 when we cruise are also in the dark about the cruise and the New York one we have this Summer. I totally agree that it is far too many sleeps to count!

Welcome aboard!

I am considering two tours with Rome in Limo. The Positano, Sorrento & Pizza school tour in Naples and one of the kid friendly Rome tours.

The price for four is 500 Euro but for eight people it is only 600 Euro so I am wondering if there is another family of 3 or 4 who might be interested in splitting the cost with us. Split between two families it will work out cheaper than Disneys excursions and this company have a really good reputation.

PM if you might be interested (don't need a definite at this stage, just testing the waters...)

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #143
K8T
DIS Veteran

Mel,

I see you are doing New York. I have been thinking about doing something out of New York too, either the Bahamas, or Canada, for July, as we are still not sure what to do for our summer holiday.

The flights to NY are soooooo expensive from Manchester £818 direct.

Kate
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
K8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #144
waltcanada
Earning My Ears

with whom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomJen View Post
Thanks Figment Fan!

We did the Disney Med Cruise in 2010 and hired a private driver/tour guide for Florence, Naples and Rome. There are 6 of us, so cost wise it worked out better, but I think overall it worked out great for us. We were able to see so much and combine multiple 'Disney tours' in one. In Florence, we were able to see everything which included David (amazing!!!) and the Leaning Tower of Pisa (although we did not have time to go in and walk up). Definitely go to Pompei in Naples. We only had about 2 hours there and I felt we needed more time. After our cruise I said I wanted to go back just to have more time in Pompei.

We also have had success booking a private tour on the Disney Northern European Cruise - do you remember which company you used in italy? I'd like a reference, if possible! It's so hard to know who is reputable - it seems like everyone has an axe to grind if you read postings on Trip Advisor, etc.

Thanks,

Walt's Wife.
waltcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #145
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8T View Post
Mel,

I see you are doing New York. I have been thinking about doing something out of New York too, either the Bahamas, or Canada, for July, as we are still not sure what to do for our summer holiday.

The flights to NY are soooooo expensive from Manchester £818 direct.

Kate
I've come to the conclusion flying anywhere this year from the UK is expensive & I'm blaming the Olympics!!!

Celestine

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #146
DisneyMomJen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcanada View Post
We also have had success booking a private tour on the Disney Northern European Cruise - do you remember which company you used in italy? I'd like a reference, if possible! It's so hard to know who is reputable - it seems like everyone has an axe to grind if you read postings on Trip Advisor, etc.

Thanks,

Walt's Wife.
I will post back when I find the info. We used the same company for Rome and Florence and both were excellent. I will also put out there who I would NOT use in Naples. Nice older man, but definitely a major language barrier so we were not able to do what we wanted to do. He asked us if we wanted to stop for lunch at a certain point, we said yes which should be easy to understand. He misunderstood and we drove the whole Almalfi Coast starving, which made getting car sick alot easier for a few of us. Wound up eating at an extremely expensive resort area, Positano,(everything is expensive, but this was higher) for pizza. Had very little time at Pompeii. We still laugh about this day almost two years later.
DisneyMomJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #147
K8T
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
I've come to the conclusion flying anywhere this year from the UK is expensive & I'm blaming the Olympics!!!

Celestine
I agree, I have been looking at several options to replace our July holiday - which we transferred to October and all the flights are horrendous.

However, I have just booked a trip to Paris for a week, going on the Eurostar, spending four days in Paris and two nights at DLP, to break up the cultural thing!! All the flights were booked when we wanted to go, or hugely expensive.

Used Avios points for hotel and Eurostar, so only costing us the hotel at DLP. Actually, I really don't like DLP, not sure why I have booked it!!! Must be because dd will love i (and we got a really cheap deal!), I am honing my shoving skills as we speak!

Just realised we will be there for the first England game!!!
[SIZE="1"][I]1996 P&O Canberra - 1998 NCL Norweigan Dream - 1999 Celebrity Century - 2000 RCCL Grandeur of The Seas - 2001 P&O Oriana - 2002 P&O Arcadia - 2003 P&O Aurora - 2003 P&O Oceana (& Adonia) launch weekend - 2006 P&O Oceana - 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - 2007 P&O Oriana - 2008 Disney Wonder (Jan) - 2008 P&O Ventura (May) - 2009 P&O Aurora - 2009 P&O Oceana - June 2010 Disney Magic Med. - August 2010 Disney Magic Med. - July 2011 Disney Magic Med. - July 2012 DLP NBay - Oct 2012 WDW BC - July 2013 Disney Magic - July 2014 Venice to Rome booked
Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #148
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8T View Post
I agree, I have been looking at several options to replace our July holiday - which we transferred to October and all the flights are horrendous.

However, I have just booked a trip to Paris for a week, going on the Eurostar, spending four days in Paris and two nights at DLP, to break up the cultural thing!! All the flights were booked when we wanted to go, or hugely expensive.

Used Avios points for hotel and Eurostar, so only costing us the hotel at DLP. Actually, I really don't like DLP, not sure why I have booked it!!! Must be because dd will love i (and we got a really cheap deal!), I am honing my shoving skills as we speak!

Just realised we will be there for the first England game!!!
Have never done DLP and have no real plans too. I'm having my first Eurostar adventure in July when I go to visit a friend in Brussels which I am quite excited about. When we finally get to the 1 year mark I'll start some serious planning

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #149
K8T
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestine View Post
Have never done DLP and have no real plans too. I'm having my first Eurostar adventure in July when I go to visit a friend in Brussels which I am quite excited about. When we finally get to the 1 year mark I'll start some serious planning
Yes, I am looking forward to the Eurostar too, it should be a relaxing way of getting to Paris.

I wouldn't bother with DLP if I were you, it is a poor second to WDW. The service culture just doesn't exist in France. In fact last time we went, we vowed never to go back! However, it seems a bit silly not to, as we are so near and dd will freak when she finds out.... It is only two nights and we are more aware of what to expect this time, so that won't be too much!

Last edited by K8T; 05-19-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #150
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!

Hello! We are going to book this cruise when we are on the Wonder in August! It will be myself, Melissa, and my DH Robert. The little ones are staying with Grandma so we can celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary a little early.

Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: