Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #76
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLynz View Post
Anyone ever done the Tortula Dolphin experience? Thinking of taking a 3 almost 4 year old. Any reviews?
We just did this and it was horrible!

We seriously felt like we were there just for them to take pictures to sell to us @ $25 each afterwards!

We were herded around like cattle and directed to look at the camera rather than looking at and enjoying our time with the dolphins.

A small child was bitten by one of the dolphins and none of the staff even checked on her to make sure she was ok!

Additionally, the orientation videos were apparently broken, the life jackets were falling apart, and the latches on the changing rooms were so rusted I almost couldn't out.

As far as lunch, we did not get the hamburgers & fries as advertised - it was soggy cole slaw, green salad & pasta salad, some type of potato casserole, chicken legs, and fried fish - and it was rationed out!! They did have hotdogs "for the kids who don't like the adult food" and I did manage to convince them to let me have one since the other stuff was not at all appetizing to me.

We also never got the island tour which was a huge disappointment to me. I had never been to Tortola before and was thrilled to be going to see the island with DH as it's an island he loves and has been telling me about for years!

I will never go back and I certainly wouldn't take my children.

I do have to say that I was quite surprised though, as I have read many great reviews of Dolphin Discovery... maybe it's just the Tortola location that's bad?

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #77
SeaNana
Mouseketeer

Last October my DH and I did the Two Flags tour on St. Maarten, just to get an overview of the island as we knew we were returning this year. It served its purpose, but nothing great. The short shopping stop was disappointing, though we did get a nice watercolor and some great hot sauce. We also did the St. John Island Tour (overview again), and we really enjoyed that. There is a stop at the ruins of a sugar plantation, which we liked for the history as well as the excercise. The boat ride to and from was very enjoyable. On CC we took the island cruise and saw lots of dolphins, with the captain taking us wherever they were and letting us enjoy watching them play. The grandchildren just want the beaches, so their parents will do that this year and we are staying on the ship - maybe a little port stroll.
SeaNana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #78
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Still hoping to get some feedback about Lord Sheffield Pirate Cruise. Anyone do this one?
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #79
mom2LLN
Mouseketeer

Has anyone experienced the Caribbean Sea Safari, Snorkeling & Beach Tour? Would love to hear any feedback about this excursion.
mom2LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #80
safeti01
Mouseketeer

I'm just wondering if anyone has done the Mountain Bike Adventure. Just wondering how "active" it is, how long it lasted any other good information.
safeti01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #81
superrach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LLN View Post
Has anyone experienced the Caribbean Sea Safari, Snorkeling & Beach Tour? Would love to hear any feedback about this excursion.
I'm wondering about this one too. It seems to contain the same stops as the full day one; buck island (turtle cove) and honeymoon beach.
Disney Dream 4 nt. Bahamas, June 2013
Disney Fantasy 7nt. Eastern Caribbean, June 2012
WDW POP, December 2011
WDW ASM, December 2010

Last edited by superrach; 04-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.
superrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #82
superrach
Mouseketeer

bump
WDW POP, December 2011
WDW ASM, December 2010
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #83
karana
Mouseketeer

Caribbean Sea Safari

Yes, we will be in St. Thomas on July 4th. Wondering about this tour, since the full day sail and snorkeling tour is showing 'sold out'

BTW, does anyone know if an excursion 53 days out is sold out could open up again or if there is a waiting list for excursions???
Magic, 2008
Saratoga Springs, Feb. 2010
DVC members March, 2010
Magic, Oct. 30th 2010
Dream, April 3rd, 2011
Fantasy, June 30th, 2012
karana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #84
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We were on the 5/5 Fantasy and booked directly with Bernard's on St. Maarten and the Full day sail and snorkel to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach on St. Thomas/St. John.

Bernards: Easy to book, very quick at responding and very easy to find at the port. First time to St. Maarten for us and we felt like it gave a good overview of the island and for $40/pp it was a reasonable option. The highlight for us was the stop at Maho Beach, although we also enjoyed Marigot but it was a French holiday so a lot was closed the day we were there. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly and forewarned us of anything that people might not enjoy or find offensive. As a group we agreed to shorten the time at Orient Beach and have 30 mins longer at Maho. The first stop is to see iguanas at a "residence" that they could probably drop from the tour and nobody would care. We were warned that the location was run down ahead of time, but it just felt like a waste of time to us. Orient Beach was just OK to us - interesting to say that we did it - but wouldn't go back. The entrance we took (I assume everyone does? ) was directly between the clothing optional beach and the regular public beach - if you LOOKED right as you drove in, then the "Adam & Eve" people, as they tour guide put it, were right there, nothing blocking anything.
Overall: OK - glad we got to see a good overview of the island and it definitely gave us a good feeling for what we would/would not want to see if we were to ever go back. I probably wouldn't do this with kids - just IMO.

St. Thomas/St. John - Full Day Sail & Snorkle to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach. Everything provided for the day, great crew, great service and a lot of fun. The excursion got split into 2 groups, one on the pirate schooner and the other on the catamaran. You sail out to snorkel for about an hour, a guide helps find sea turtles and shows you were to find coral etc. You either climbed down a ladder or jumped into the water, which proved tricky for some of those with smaller children - just an FYI - but everyone seemed to manage in the end. After snorkeling they served rum punch, soda and water plus chips and salsa while we sailed to Honeymoon Beach. We were on the schooner and either had to swim or wait to ride the dingy to the beach (we elected to swim), although the catamaran got pretty close, looked like those people really only had to wade a short distance. One of us should have been savvy enough to figure out how to carry sunscreen while swimming to the beach though. Lunch was a decent BBQ, nothing out of this world but we were pretty hungry so it tasted pretty good! We were there about 2 hours. Lunch, beer, soft drinks and bottled water were all provided.
Overall: We really enjoyed this, although the rum punch definitely loosened up the crowd and everyone was having a GREAT time by the time we got to Honeymoon Beach. I would be remiss if I were to not mention (for the benefit of my fellow females) that each crew had one member who could be a body double for Matthew McConnaughey, and in my book it added to the overall ambiance. Seriously though - I don't think that there was anyone on our boat that didn't have a fantastic time.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston

Last edited by ukintheus; 05-17-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typos
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #85
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post
I would be remiss if I were to not mention (for the benefit of my fellow females) that each crew had one member who could be a body double for Matthew McConnaughey, and in my book it added to the overall ambiance.
Ok, I'm sold!
No, seriously, thank you for the great review! We were looking at this excursion and now we will book it for sure! Sounds fun!

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2014-DLR
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #86
superrach
Mouseketeer

The full day is sold out on my cruise but I think we will do the Caribbean sea safari one. It's run by the same company, has the same stops just for a shorter time and no lunch.
WDW POP, December 2011
WDW ASM, December 2010
Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #87
4newtocruise
Minnie, R.N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post
We were on the 5/5 Fantasy and booked directly with Bernard's on St. Maarten and the Full day sail and snorkel to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach on St. Thomas/St. John.

Bernards: Easy to book, very quick at responding and very easy to find at the port. First time to St. Maarten for us and we felt like it gave a good overview of the island and for $40/pp it was a reasonable option. The highlight for us was the stop at Maho Beach, although we also enjoyed Marigot but it was a French holiday so a lot was closed the day we were there. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly and forewarned us of anything that people might not enjoy or find offensive. As a group we agreed to shorten the time at Orient Beach and have 30 mins longer at Maho. The first stop is to see iguanas at a "residence" that they could probably drop from the tour and nobody would care. We were warned that the location was run down ahead of time, but it just felt like a waste of time to us. Orient Beach was just OK to us - interesting to say that we did it - but wouldn't go back. The entrance we took (I assume everyone does? ) was directly between the clothing optional beach and the regular public beach - if you LOOKED right as you drove in, then the "Adam & Eve" people, as they tour guide put it, were right there, nothing blocking anything.
Overall: OK - glad we got to see a good overview of the island and it definitely gave us a good feeling for what we would/would not want to see if we were to ever go back. I probably wouldn't do this with kids - just IMO.

St. Thomas/St. John - Full Day Sail & Snorkle to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach. Everything provided for the day, great crew, great service and a lot of fun. The excursion got split into 2 groups, one on the pirate schooner and the other on the catamaran. You sail out to snorkel for about an hour, a guide helps find sea turtles and shows you were to find coral etc. You either climbed down a ladder or jumped into the water, which proved tricky for some of those with smaller children - just an FYI - but everyone seemed to manage in the end. After snorkeling they served rum punch, soda and water plus chips and salsa while we sailed to Honeymoon Beach. We were on the schooner and either had to swim or wait to ride the dingy to the beach (we elected to swim), although the catamaran got pretty close, looked like those people really only had to wade a short distance. One of us should have been savvy enough to figure out how to carry sunscreen while swimming to the beach though. Lunch was a decent BBQ, nothing out of this world but we were pretty hungry so it tasted pretty good! We were there about 2 hours. Lunch, beer, soft drinks and bottled water were all provided.
Overall: We really enjoyed this, although the rum punch definitely loosened up the crowd and everyone was having a GREAT time by the time we got to Honeymoon Beach. I would be remiss if I were to not mention (for the benefit of my fellow females) that each crew had one member who could be a body double for Matthew McConnaughey, and in my book it added to the overall ambiance. Seriously though - I don't think that there was anyone on our boat that didn't have a fantastic time.
Sounds fun! Your St. Thomas/St. Johns excursion was booked directly through DCL? Thanks for the info!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #88
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Seems like with two ships the all day turtle cove and honeymoon shouldn't sell out as long as I book right away, but have lowly silvers had issues getting this one at 75 days? I really want to do it!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #89
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4newtocruise View Post
Sounds fun! Your St. Thomas/St. Johns excursion was booked directly through DCL? Thanks for the info!
Yes, booked through DCL, met in the Walt Disney Theatre at (I think) 8:15 am.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #90
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Seems like with two ships the all day turtle cove and honeymoon shouldn't sell out as long as I book right away, but have lowly silvers had issues getting this one at 75 days? I really want to do it!
Sorry, missed this, we are Silver and we got it with no problems.

Jenny & Scott

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: