Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #31
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

When they measure the tank in eighths of a tankful, you should see that they round down when marking a fuel level between eighths at the start of the rental because they will almost certainly round down when marking the fuel level at return time.

If they say that the car is full when the gauge reads 3/4 then the fuel level should be marked as what the gauge says, namely 3/4.

I do remember a time when Alamo required prepurchase of gas, i.e. that was the only way they did things. Back then it was advertised as "approximately a half tankful". This was long before the merger with National.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 05-15-2012 at 06:12 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #32
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
I do remember a time when Alamo required prepurchase of gas, i.e. that was the only way they did things. Back then it was advertised as "approximately a half tankful". This was long before the merger with National.
I don't remember that policy. Was probably a non-issue back when gas was under .50 /gallon (early 70's)
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
It was Thrifty in Vegas. It was a scame. Not only did the employee I asked before I left insist the car is full when the gauge read 3/4 but when I returned the car and complained the employee inside also said that car type normally shows 3/4 when full.
Regardless of which agency it was, it was still very poor customer service and obviously a scam.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #34
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
When they measure the tank in eighths of a tankful, you should see that they round down when marking a fuel level between eighths at the start of the rental because they will almost certainly round down when marking the fuel level at return time.

If they say that the car is full when the gauge reads 3/4 then the fuel level should be marked as what the gauge says, namely 3/4.

Yes, that is exactly what we are supposed to do. We are not perfect and things do fall through the cracks, but, if brought to the attention of customer service, we will do everything possible to correct the error. We cannot fix what we don't know, so, it is important to speak up.
BTW: I LOVE your "tag line", made me chuckle, thank you!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
rdsx28
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation!

My husband just returned Sunday from an 8 day trip. He had a Dodge Caravan which we paid 159.76 for the 8 days. he was also asked if he wanted to prepay for gas. It was 3.61 a gallon. He declined and filled it himself for 60.00 when he was returning it after driving over 400 miles. Gas at the Hess station was 3.46 a gallon in DD. I agree with the poster fill it yourself.
rdsx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Iheoma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
You would have been charged what it cost to fill the tank for the specific model of car. It would be impossible for the agent to give you an exact price, because at that point, he/she did not know what you were renting. It would have been a "ball park" amount which would have corrected itself when your car was assigned to your reservation (that is what that scanning thing does when you exit the garage). The agent was correct in telling you that the gas stations near the airport do charge more than 5.00 per gallon, what the agent did fail to mention is about 2 miles down the road are "normal" priced stations.
When I used to rent on vacation, we always prepurchased the fuel and went through the entire tank and practically limped into the return area, which is the only way this becomes cost effective.
Gmeh - My experience was that the desk agent gave us an exact amount and requested that we sign a new Alamo contract for $176 dollars. If the price was to be adjusted, when would I have signed a new contract with the lower amount? Do the exit booth folks create a new contract or would the one with my signature for the full amount be on file?

WDW - March 2000 - offsite
WDW - May 2004 - offsite
WDW - May 2008 - Beach Club
Universal/Seaworld/Busch Gardens-May 2012- Portofino Bay Hotel
Iheoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #37
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheoma View Post
Gmeh - My experience was that the desk agent gave us an exact amount and requested that we sign a new Alamo contract for $176 dollars. If the price was to be adjusted, when would I have signed a new contract with the lower amount? Do the exit booth folks create a new contract or would the one with my signature for the full amount be on file?
It is impossible for the desk agent to give you an exact amount since you do not have a car attached to your contract. The car attachment comes when you are at the exit booth. No, the agent does not give you a new contract unless you ask for it. The only time an agent might give you a new contract is when you add a driver or opt for the fuel option or a gps. You should ALWAYS insist on a new contract in the event of an additional driver or GPS rental. Often to save time and get the renter on their way, the agent will just write the amount of the gas price on the present contract and stamp it with the "no refund for fuel not used" stamp(not sure that belongs in quotes as I don't really remember the exact wording, but, it is in red".
Just a FYI, if you rent, for example, a midsize car and have opted for the fuel option and find that you are upgraded to a full size(this happens when the car class you reserved is not available), the fuel price will be different. The reason for this is usually (not always) the midsize car will not have the same fuel capacity. Often full size cars will have different fuel capacities. IE: Impalas-= 17 gals. Altimas = 20 gallons.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #38
CarRentalSavers
Money Saver

Just another point to add is that prepaid gas is also subject to taxes and fees. So at MCO you are adding just under another 20% to the total price of the gas.

Last edited by CarRentalSavers; 05-16-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
CarRentalSavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #39
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsx28 View Post
My husband just returned Sunday from an 8 day trip. He had a Dodge Caravan which we paid 159.76 for the 8 days. he was also asked if he wanted to prepay for gas. It was 3.61 a gallon. He declined and filled it himself for 60.00 when he was returning it after driving over 400 miles. Gas at the Hess station was 3.46 a gallon in DD. I agree with the poster fill it yourself.
Where did he score that wonderful rate at. I just reserved 4 mini vans for $245.00 each for 8 days

And I would never prepay unless it were an emergency and I had to leave asap

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRentalSavers View Post
Just another point to add is that prepaid gas is also subject to taxes and fees. So at MCO you are adding just under another 20% to the total price of the gas.
16.5% to be exact and that is disclosed. 10% airport tax and 6.5% sales tax, the other fees are unchanged.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #41
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
The prepaid price for gas today is 3.56 per gallon. The price per gallon IF you do not fill your tank before you bring it back is 5.40. the average price for gas in the Orlando area is 3.627 according to gas buddy.

Yes, many people opt for this option and they are informed that they will not get a refund for any fuel not used, it is fully disclosed.
Quote:
16.5% to be exact and that is disclosed. 10% airport tax and 6.5% sales tax, the other fees are unchanged.
The price listed on the pump includes taxes, including sales tax. Did the pre-paid price of 3.56 include the sales tax or the airport tax?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The price listed on the pump includes taxes, including sales tax. Did the pre-paid price of 3.56 include the sales tax or the airport tax?
The prepaid price of 3.56 plus the airport tax and the sales tax. As I keep saying, it is a convienance, and the fact that taxes are added is disclosed.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #43
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
The prepaid price of 3.56 plus the airport tax and the sales tax. As I keep saying, it is a convienance, and the fact that taxes are added is disclosed.
Thanks for the clarification.

I know what you said but the plan was, and may still be, marketed to some as a way to save some money. Years ago the price you paid under the plan and the local price for gas was prominently displayed.

The price you listed of 3.56 results in a total price of 4.17. Not saying you do this but any comparison which includes sales tax for the local price of gas (total cost) should also include taxes on the cost of gas paid under the gas plan.

Marshel said In the past I've been offered up to 15 cents less a gallon than than the prevailing rates The taxes taxes are over 17%, most places charge sales tax on the airport surcharge (tax on a tax).

It's impossible to break even let alone save money. The only question is how much extra you'll be paying.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRentalSavers View Post
Thanks for the information. I had forgotten, may never realized, the cost quoted for gas by the rental agent didn't include those fees. Add 10% then sales tax and the total is just over 17%

A person who returns the car with literally zero gas is paying around $10. Now add the cost of any fuel remaining in the car and you're probably over $20. Low fuel comes on with about 3 gallons left. Probably the point where many people will put some gas in the car.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #45
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

I know what you said but the plan was, and may still be, marketed to some as a way to save some money. Years ago the price you paid under the plan and the local price for gas was prominently displayed.

The price you listed of 3.56 results in a total price of 4.17. Not saying you do this but any comparison which includes sales tax for the local price of gas (total cost) should also include taxes on the cost of gas paid under the gas plan.

Marshel said In the past I've been offered up to 15 cents less a gallon than than the prevailing rates The taxes taxes are over 17%, most places charge sales tax on the airport surcharge (tax on a tax).

It's impossible to break even let alone save money. The only question is how much extra you'll be paying.
Lewis, I did disclose that the price per gallon was plus tax and fees. We are required to disclose this. We don't charge a tax on the surcharge, it would be a straight 16.50%.
Again, we do NOT sell this as saving money, we sell this as a convienance.
No agency displays the prices on local gas stations. The way gas prices change, it would be almost impossible to keep up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: