Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #46
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
So what you want is a fast food only Cruise, so you can get out of paying tips? Thats not the kind of cruise that I prefer!
Me either. Like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. If someone doesn't use the dining rooms, I don't think they should be expected to tip.

I have always used them, though, and have tipped accordingly.
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #47
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,694

I'm fine with the automatic charge of the gratuity. I think DCL is just trying to ensure that the CMs do get their gratuity. I think this is far better than just incorporating the gratuities ($12/person/day) in the total price and calling it "Gratuities Included". In this case, we would have no control over it since there would be no breakdown of how much tips are given. It would be one price. Take it or leave it.

I still believe that gratuities are earned and if they don't earn it, then I should be able to tip them accordingly. DCL has found a way ensure that guests do not "forget" to tip them. And at the same time, the guests are given the option to increase or decrease the tip. As well, DCL does make it easier by automatically charging the "standard" tip.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #48
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
just to weigh in, i don't mind the new policy (we have always tipped at least the minimum), but i'm bothered by the necessity to do it in the first place. If the only "salary" the cms receive is tips (which seems ridiculous), and those tips are now automatic, then that amount should be included up front as part of the cruise fare, and disney should compensate the servers/cms with a base salary just like you would with servers in a restaurant. Then if people are really impressed with the service, they can tip voluntarily on top of that. A tip should be an added incentive for excellent service; it should not be the only income of the person providing the service....imho.
qft.
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #49
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran
 
KSDisneyDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 6,473

I disagree with other posters who actually like this change. It makes it easier on the guests for the most part.

My DW had this on her Princess cruise too and it did make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
If more people simply tipped like you, this would not be an issue. Unfortunately, many people don't do this and you would hear the stories of those who skipped the MDR on the last night simply so they wouldn't tip. This has become such a problem industry wide, that it's my understanding that most cruiselines do this now. Disney is slow to adapt this, but they finally did.

I highlighted that you have been on other cruises, but not Disney, so haven't you already experienced this issue with other cruiselines?

Finally, I agree with M&M's Mom's earlier post that you might be overreacting a bit. If you truly have horrible or subpar service, then it would not be anymore of a hassle to go tell GS to remove it vs the old way of having to figure out tips and go to GS in the past. Either way involves a trip. In this case, if you have great service you don't have to visit GS unless you want to add more via your account vs with cash. Plus, if you go to GS to reduce a tip for poor service, you cab make a very valid comment as to why if you are asked. If a server doesn't deserve their full tip, the server and Disney need to know to help other guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Personally, they should just include the automatic tip with your fare. It's irksome that with the premium DCL charges, that they cannot pay their staff better as it is. The purpose of a tip is to be an extra incentive for excellent service. Seeing how we always charge our tips to our onboard account and we've never had cause to lower the minimum, I'm sure my family would appreciate not having to make a trip to GS. However, most of the excellent service my family received on our first DCL trip in January came from people who don't directly receive tips from guests. Our servers and room hosts were "average". We weren't compelled to tip them more.

Eh, by the time I cruise again, it'll be the norm--so I'll just make sure I have the suggested amount in my account by the time I sail. Hopefully I won't have cause to visit GS to lower or eliminate the tips.
FWIW: Our Fantasy cruise is costing a lot less than the RCCL Oasis similar rooms booked over 18 months ago. I checked with RCCL on the day we booked in October 2010. I also checked the prices on RCCL FOS and Carnival Dream for the exact itinerary and same room types on their first day of booking and the prices were higher on those two ships than Disney. And last week, Disney refunded $561.40 to me because I am a DVC member cruising in June making my cruise even less expensive.

My point is that Disney does not always charge a premium. What is wrong with them adding the tip to your account just like many or most of the other cruise lines do? If Disney added it to the cost of their fare, it would cause pricing confusion. For example, Disney recently advertised $157 per person per day for a balcony in June. If they added tips, they'd have to change that to $169 per person per day. Perhaps, not a big deal to some, but if you multiply that out, that makes it harder to compare to other mainstream cruise lines that don't include tips. The other cruise line may offer $159 per person per day and it seems cheaper until you read the fine print that it excludes tips. I know that Disney is often (but not always!) higher priced, but my point is that they don't want to make the difference bigger. If all the cruise lines did it, that's one thing, but I don't think any cruise line will do it without getting the others to agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Just to play devil's advocate... if a person is eating all their meals from the quick serve locations, why tip in that situation?

I've never heard of tipping fast food workers.
Why would anyone ever want to do this? Hot dogs, paninins, pizza and burgers for a week? Yuck! What about breakfast - no visits to the buffets even where your MDR servers are helping? What about room service? I know you're just arguing for arguing sake, but really?
__________________
Me (Christopher) DW DS17 DS15 DS10
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #50
torontodisneyfan
Little known fact: Mickey is Canadian
 
torontodisneyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 202

I also did not read the entire thread but I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents...

I found the automatic tip so convenient! I have no problem with it at all. Unless you extremely unlucky and don't get great servers in the restaurants or a great stateroom host/hostess I think you will find the tips appropriate...in fact, you may want to add to them...
__________________
WDW July 2006, April 2008, April 2009, May 2011, Dec 2011 (MVMCP!), May 2013, May 2014, Dec 2014 booked
Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure/Hollywood/Universal Studios Hollywood/San Diego Zoo
April 2010
DCL: 8 day The Fantasy-E Caribbean May 2012, 8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean May 2013,8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean (incl Jamaica) May 2014
torontodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasar View Post
seriously? how is that even legal?
Servers get around a $1.60 a day from DCL plus food, room and board, and cleaning of their costume, medical whilst onboard and included flights home and back (but they pay for the initial flight to Orlando/LA)

Not sure about the Stateroom Hosts/Hostesses thou.

And as Bear3412 said, the ship's are registered in the Bahamas so different laws and "flags of convenience" come in to play.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #52
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Just to weigh in, I don't mind the new policy (we have always tipped at least the minimum), but I'm bothered by the necessity to do it in the first place. If the only "salary" the CMs receive is tips (which seems ridiculous), and those tips are now automatic, then that amount should be included up front as part of the cruise fare, and Disney should compensate the servers/CMs with a base salary just like you would with servers in a restaurant. Then if people are really impressed with the service, they can tip voluntarily on top of that. A tip should be an added incentive for excellent service; it should not be the only income of the person providing the service....IMHO.
I wonder if there is a tax reason that would make DCL just adding in the suggested gratuity for Servers into the cruise price not possible without them having to be liable to pay some kind of employers tax part for the suggested grat?
Remember the ship is flagged in the Bahama's but the true parent company is the Magical Cruise Company based in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Me either. Like I said, I was just playing devil's advocate. If someone doesn't use the dining rooms, I don't think they should be expected to tip.

I have always used them, though, and have tipped accordingly.
That's not being a devils advocate as you only gave one side of the reason why you shouldn't pay if you didn't use the MDR's, just quick serve outlets. You didn't give a reason why you should tip, just that you do tip regardless, but don't think you should have to.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #53
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO
 
Talking Hands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pooh's Thoughtful Place AKA SE Fla
Posts: 10,144

I am fine with having the tips added at the beginning of the cruise even if I did reduce the tip for our main server on our last cruise. He was asked by my husband to look at me when speaking rather than him because I have a hearing loss. He never would, finally one of the interpreters sitting with us just interpreted for me but it was awkward not being able to answer until the interpreter finished and really slowed the ordering down. I am fine when I can see a person full face but if they are turned away I can't always understand what is being said. For the next cruise we will both have hearing issues which will be interesting since I also have multiple food allergies to deal with.
__________________

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #54
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I am fine with having the tips added at the beginning of the cruise even if I did reduce the tip for our main server on our last cruise. He was asked by my husband to look at me when speaking rather than him because I have a hearing loss. He never would, finally one of the interpreters sitting with us just interpreted for me but it was awkward not being able to answer until the interpreter finished and really slowed the ordering down. I am fine when I can see a person full face but if they are turned away I can't always understand what is being said. For the next cruise we will both have hearing issues which will be interesting since I also have multiple food allergies to deal with.
Did you ever speak with your Head Server of this issue? This was definately a time when the HS should have been brought up to speed with an issue with the server.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #55
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,258

Talking Hands,

I realize you can converse with someone when they are talking to you face on, so hopefully your Head Server won't have any issues with you registering your food allergies!
But if another Server, Assistant or Server or Main Server ever disrespects you like that again, please do tell the Head Server (or if it is the Head Server) please do tell GS. So ignorant and just down right rude to you!!!
I can only say that if after asking that the Server once that they faced me when speaking to me, and then them facing your husband, I would be furious that they ignored your disability, and they need coaching on how to interact with Guests with disabilities, AND just general courtesy and manners!
Since he was so rude to you, I probably would have stood up and said who are you asking what I would like?
But I understand that not everyone would feel comfortable be so vocal as I am!

Truly hope you don't have any difficulties on your next fantastic cruise and your Servers are attentive to speaking to you face to face

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #56
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse
 
OrcaPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Winter Springs (Orlando), FL
Posts: 1,039

Quote:
FWIW: Our Fantasy cruise is costing a lot less than the RCCL Oasis similar rooms booked over 18 months ago. I checked with RCCL on the day we booked in October 2010. I also checked the prices on RCCL FOS and Carnival Dream for the exact itinerary and same room types on their first day of booking and the prices were higher on those two ships than Disney. And last week, Disney refunded $561.40 to me because I am a DVC member cruising in June making my cruise even less expensive.

My point is that Disney does not always charge a premium. What is wrong with them adding the tip to your account just like many or most of the other cruise lines do? If Disney added it to the cost of their fare, it would cause pricing confusion. For example, Disney recently advertised $157 per person per day for a balcony in June. If they added tips, they'd have to change that to $169 per person per day. Perhaps, not a big deal to some, but if you multiply that out, that makes it harder to compare to other mainstream cruise lines that don't include tips. The other cruise line may offer $159 per person per day and it seems cheaper until you read the fine print that it excludes tips. I know that Disney is often (but not always!) higher priced, but my point is that they don't want to make the difference bigger. If all the cruise lines did it, that's one thing, but I don't think any cruise line will do it without getting the others to agree.
Their prices are all over the map, though. For 3 adults on the Fantasy next summer with a 10% off rebooking discount, we were quoted over $5K in the lowest category verandah stateroom. For the same room on RCCL out of Cape Canaveral for the same time, it was half the cost without a discount. A lot of people use the Oasis/Allure as a comparison to the Dream/Fantasy. They are much bigger ships with a much larger staff and a lot more to manage; it does not surprise me that the prices would be similar or more. What difference does it make to anyone if you are already being asked to pay X amount of money in addition to what you are already paying per day? To get the savings you're talking about, then you'd be declining to pay a tip at all--which is considered bad courtesy and what DCL (and other lines) are trying to avoid. Cruise fares, even Disney, fluctuate dramatically over the course of a year. I don't understand the argument of what it would do to fares if tips were included--when they already are. You're paying the money either up front or later.

It is perfectly acceptable for some people to be displeased with this change. If you are happy with it and think it makes sense, that's wonderful
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #57
Pwac
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 154

If they aren't going to include it, which would be my preference, then having it auto-billed is my second choice. Unless there is a serious issue, I always tip more than the suggested amount. If there is an issue, then someone needs to be made aware of it so that action can be taken to help the CM do a better job next time so I don't mind going to GS.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #58
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,885

We have always had our tips added to our cruise ahead of time. It isn't really a tip, it's a service charge to pay the Cast Members that have provided us with that Disney Experience. At no time, would I ever, and I repeat, ever tip less that Disney suggests -- and have always tipped more.

The cruise deserve it - every time as far as I am concerned.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #59
skoi
DIS Veteran
 
skoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,916

I like this. One less thing to do-stand in line and do the tips. We would add extra in cash (which we usually do) if the service was excellent-- which it always has been except for one trip on the Wonder.

I do understand the issue people have with this, however. Just not an issue for us.
skoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #60
trimix
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavepaint View Post
Just got off the Fantasy where they automatically charged the "recommended" tips to our stateroom for the servers and stateroom host. When did this start? While we are very good tippers I REALLY didn't like the liberty taken to just charge us automatically. That's not so much a tip as a service charge. Yes it can be changed but it's a hassle.
Looking at your history, I see you visited Disboards at least three times before your cruise. Had you spent a little more time looking around, you would have been well aware of this policy - which is the same as a lot of other cruise lines.
And you call it "a hassle" to change the tip. I wish you would have been on the Fantasy a month earlier, so you could have stood in line with 500 of your fellow cruisers at guest services to put tips on your stateroom account. Then you would know the new policy is much less of a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
I will probably get flamed for this, but unless you are carrying a lot of cash for tips your plan is clueless and makes no sense. To rephrase what you said, "I don't like the automatic tips, so I am going to go stand in line at Guest Services at the start of my cruise, when they are nice and busy, to have tips removed from my account. Then, at the end of my cruise, when they are again very busy, I am going to stand in line again so I can make the tips I want to make."
How about this for an alternative: Enjoy your cruise, and once you are more than halfway through make ONE trip to Guest Services to adjust tip amounts - but ONLY if you decide you want to increase or decrease tips.
__________________

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: