Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Personally, they should just include the automatic tip with your fare. It's irksome that with the premium DCL charges, that they cannot pay their staff better as it is. The purpose of a tip is to be an extra incentive for excellent service. Seeing how we always charge our tips to our onboard account and we've never had cause to lower the minimum, I'm sure my family would appreciate not having to make a trip to GS. However, most of the excellent service my family received on our first DCL trip in January came from people who don't directly receive tips from guests. Our servers and room hosts were "average". We weren't compelled to tip them more.

Eh, by the time I cruise again, it'll be the norm--so I'll just make sure I have the suggested amount in my account by the time I sail. Hopefully I won't have cause to visit GS to lower or eliminate the tips.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasar View Post
is the automatic tip amount of $12/day the same for kids and infants?
Yes. They require just as much, if not more work for the staff.
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #33
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
I am with you, if we can remove it we will. We sailed on the Dream in Sep 2011, we didnt use the server but one night, the service was so bad we refused to return and just had fast food or room service the rest of our sruise. I am not a huge fan of the restaurants so IDK if I will even use them much for our 14 night trip coming up. I loved our room steward (is that what they are called?) anyways gave him a big tip. I just dont want to tip on something I dont use.

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhenry View Post
I am with you, if we can remove it we will. We sailed on the Dream in Sep 2011, we didnt use the server but one night, the service was so bad we refused to return and just had fast food or room service the rest of our sruise. I am not a huge fan of the restaurants so IDK if I will even use them much for our 14 night trip coming up. I loved our room steward (is that what they are called?) anyways gave him a big tip. I just dont want to tip on something I dont use.
If you are eating anywhere on the ship besides dinner you are using the MDR staff. They work in the quick serve locations (as well as other places, not just food service) also.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

I did not read this whole thread, but please, please note that your room stewards and your dining hosts do NOT receive any salary from Disney at all. What we tip them as guests IS their salary. It's what they live on. Just so you know.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
robin19871
DIS Veteran

I personally like that it is added.. As a former waitress in college I know that I worked for my tips and not the $2.90 an hour that I received. If the service is sooo bad that you feel the need to complain and have them reduced then I would do so.. However, waitstaff are human and sometimes things are out of their control. I remember times where the kitchen was out of control and food was just not coming out.. The kitchen staff still got their wages but yet the person waiting on you were penalized.. If a wait person was nasty to you then that is a whole different story.. However, I know that things being slower than we all like are sometimes out of our control.. (This is coming from a person that is pretty impatient)
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If you are eating anywhere on the ship besides dinner you are using the MDR staff. They work in the quick serve locations (as well as other places, not just food service) also.

Just to play devil's advocate... if a person is eating all their meals from the quick serve locations, why tip in that situation?

I've never heard of tipping fast food workers.
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #38
Disney Magic Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Just to play devil's advocate... if a person is eating all their meals from the quick serve locations, why tip in that situation?

I've never heard of tipping fast food workers.
On a cruise your "fast food" workers are the MDR staff. Your tips are for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JV3j6AEpc
Disney Magic Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
On a cruise your "fast food" workers are the MDR staff. Your tips are for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Thank you

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #40
elcasar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
I did not read this whole thread, but please, please note that your room stewards and your dining hosts do NOT receive any salary from Disney at all. What we tip them as guests IS their salary. It's what they live on. Just so you know.
seriously? how is that even legal?
elcasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #41
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasar View Post
seriously? how is that even legal?
Registered over seas.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #42
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
Right, but what's an appropriate tip for handing you a burger at one of the fast food counters? They're not performing MDR service, why should a customer be expected to tip as such?
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #43
lookitsaplane
Proud owner of Disney Stock! :D

Is AT really that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
That said, I really wish they would just pay the CMs and just make tipping like in a regular hotel situation.
If you think about it, if the CM's were paid the same amount of money their tips cover, the price of the cruise would just go up and end up being the same amount. If you just add it to your cruise cost when you book, it will make things easier. I get why people don't like the system, but the price wouldn't be that much different if they did not have auto tipping.

DISNEY FANTASY 6/2/12
lookitsaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #44
Disney Magic Girl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Right, but what's an appropriate tip for handing you a burger at one of the fast food counters? They're not performing MDR service, why should a customer be expected to tip as such?
So what you want is a fast food only Cruise, so you can get out of paying tips? Thats not the kind of cruise that I prefer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JV3j6AEpc
Disney Magic Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #45
oceangirl
Mouseketeer

Just to weigh in, I don't mind the new policy (we have always tipped at least the minimum), but I'm bothered by the necessity to do it in the first place. If the only "salary" the CMs receive is tips (which seems ridiculous), and those tips are now automatic, then that amount should be included up front as part of the cruise fare, and Disney should compensate the servers/CMs with a base salary just like you would with servers in a restaurant. Then if people are really impressed with the service, they can tip voluntarily on top of that. A tip should be an added incentive for excellent service; it should not be the only income of the person providing the service....IMHO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: