Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Cavepaint
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12

Not a fan of the automatic tip charging.

Just got off the Fantasy where they automatically charged the "recommended" tips to our stateroom for the servers and stateroom host. When did this start? While we are very good tippers I REALLY didn't like the liberty taken to just charge us automatically. That's not so much a tip as a service charge. Yes it can be changed but it's a hassle.

Do other cruise lines do this?
Cavepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
FriendOfFanatic
Waiting for vacation
 
FriendOfFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 192

I had it first on our Magic 2011 September cruise. There were rumors that the Magic had some problems with non-tipping on the 2011 Med cruises.
__________________
FriendOfFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Cari2109
Mouseketeer
 
Cari2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 138

I took a Carnival cruise a few years ago and that is how they handled their tips.
__________________
Cari2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavepaint View Post

Do other cruise lines do this?
a majority do
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

The change was made to the Fantasy and the Wonder sometime the middle to the end of April. The Magic has been doing it since summer 2011. Not sure if the Dream is doing this or not.

Did you receive a paper at check in letting you know about the auto-charge to your account?

Many cruise lines do this.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Cavepaint
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOhioAngela View Post
a majority do
I guess things have changed since my last cruise. Well, I still don't like it
Cavepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
sambycat
DIS Veteran
 
sambycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,886

You can go to guest services upon boarding and change it. I think it's one less thing and hopefully it will help some forgetful guests to remember to tip


That said, I really wish they would just pay the CMs and just make tipping like in a regular hotel situation.
__________________
TDC


sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
CrusingFamily4
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 176

I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
CrusingFamily4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004
 
Buckeye218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
We will be doing the exact same thing. I already have money set aside for the tips, with a little extra built in should we receive extraordinary service.
__________________
Buckeye218
DVC Owner - Old Key West
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 5,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
I don't understand your point in removing them 1st day. Your dining room servers and room steward are not going to know you did this and treat you any differently.
Even if you manage to take them off, you still have to go to GS to put whatever amount back on and they will probably ask you why it's less- if it is. You have not accomplished anything except cause yourself extra time and the GS person who has to remove and add.
I gotta be honest, I think you are overreacting.
ETA- if your cruise was not exactly the bliss you expected, are you going to ask for a partial refund? It seems like the same logic.
Also, please don't take people disagreeing with you as flaming.
__________________
m&m's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
skeeter31
Mouseketeer
 
skeeter31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.

Unfortunately, on a cruise, it's not so much tipping as it is a service charge. This is how the CM's that serve you and clean your room earn their salary. They are taking care of you for the length of your vacation, and are getting paid relatively little to do what they are doing. Not to mention the fact that they are away from their families, living on a ship. I don't think it should be left up to the guest's discretion to tip and I, for one, am glad that it is now immediately taken from my account. Not to mention I can still tip well and above the amount that's taken out if I deem fit. I don't think the 4 people that you are responsible to tip should receive anything less than what is "recommended."
skeeter31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

As above, this was started in 2011 on the Magic due to issues of guests not tipping on the Med. It was expanded to all ships about a month ago. Guests are notified of the procedure with a letter in the stateroom (we got ours on the first night).

You do have to ability to go to GS and remove the automatic tipping as well as to increase or decrease the amount. You can also increase it by leaving the automatic in place but add some cash to the envelopes. The servers do not know whether you have altered the automatic until the last night, so it has no influence on the service you will receive.

I believe that I have only tipped less than the "suggested" amount once on a DCL cruise as the service we receive ranges from above average to fantastic. Thus, I let the automatic stand and adjust it on the second to last day-just take the tickets you get in your stateroom to GS. You will complete a form indicating the amounts you wish to apply to your account.

I don't find that it makes any difference. We've done several Magic cruises with the automatic and now one on the Fantasy. If it matters to you, you are still fully in control of the tips.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusingFamily4 View Post
I will be going to guest services to have it removed on our first day of the cruise. I appreciate why they are doing this, but as someone who tips based on service... I have issues with the tip being "automatic". We usually tip very well, and above what is recommended due to the fact that we have 2 young children. (We understand they are a little more work than adults). However, on one of our cruises we had 1 individual who we only saw once for 2 minutes with a robotic speech that he made to all of the tables. I have never been on a disney cruise, and based on previous postings... I have a feeling we will be tipping a ton due to the fact that it sounds like the staff go above and beyond! I feel that the amount I tip is my decision (I understand I can always add more to what they charge on my account) but if I have issues with one individual, I do not want to go to guest services and have that amount reduced. 2 reasons- I do not want to feel like I am cheap (when in reality we are truly good tippers) and I also do not want to have to explain why this person does not get the recommended amount. I do not want to get anyone in trouble, and we will just acknowledge that with a little less in tips. If we get horrible service at a restaurant, we do not tip 15-20%. If the service is great and they go above and beyond, then we tip closer to 20% The same will hold true for Disney. Feel free to flame if you must, but I do not feel this is unreasonable.
Honestly, just tipping less and not addressing the problem is the worst thing you can do. Bringing up an issue does not automatically get someone in trouble. It will probably get them re-training. Most people need that now and then no matter what you do for a living. Bringing up small things before they become big problems is good for everyone especially the CM you are, for lack of a better word, reporting.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Honestly, just tipping less and not addressing the problem is the worst thing you can do. Bringing up an issue does not automatically get someone in trouble. It will probably get them re-training. Most people need that now and then no matter what you do for a living. Bringing up small things before they become big problems is good for everyone especially the CM you are, for lack of a better word, reporting.
This is actually really important. You absolutely should bring issues to their attention.

A couple of cruises back I was traveling with some first timers, and our assistant waiter just wasn't with it. She wasn't very friendly and was always frowning.
At the end of the first meal I found the head waiter, and stressed that it wasn't that she was bad in terms of the quality of service or anything - but she just wasn't up to the standard we knew they were striving for.
The next two nights (short cruise) you could tell she was really making an effort. Sure, I knew why - but the people I was traveling with didn't - so they got to experience more of what we had come to expect.

I did end up giving her the full tip. I respect someone who shows improvement and makes the effort.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
The Rainbow
Earning My Raindrops
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
As above, this was started in 2011 on the Magic due to issues of guests not tipping on the Med. It was expanded to all ships about a month ago. Guests are notified of the procedure with a letter in the stateroom (we got ours on the first night).

You do have to ability to go to GS and remove the automatic tipping as well as to increase or decrease the amount. You can also increase it by leaving the automatic in place but add some cash to the envelopes. The servers do not know whether you have altered the automatic until the last night, so it has no influence on the service you will receive.

I believe that I have only tipped less than the "suggested" amount once on a DCL cruise as the service we receive ranges from above average to fantastic. Thus, I let the automatic stand and adjust it on the second to last day-just take the tickets you get in your stateroom to GS. You will complete a form indicating the amounts you wish to apply to your account.

I don't find that it makes any difference. We've done several Magic cruises with the automatic and now one on the Fantasy. If it matters to you, you are still fully in control of the tips.
I am a newbie to this forum, but I am thinking about going on a Med cruise next year. I wonder why they had problems with the tipping during their last Med cruises. Because of the non-tipping history of some Europeans? What do you think?
The Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: