Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Arrow Staying off site after on site; Blue Tree Resort after Values

Trying to get the family psyched, they were spoiled....less then a month out, off site. I mean, we could have skipped this trip.....I warned them. We try to save to travel every few years, last year was a better year and I could get AP's.

I thought the thread may interest someone that would weigh as we do the offset to staying on site. I may want to stay offsite if no free dining and AP discount.

The last we stayed off site was in 1999, The Blue Tree resort, and 1993 the Quality Inn Suites. They were 2 bedrooms, two bathrooms, master bath had huge jacuzzi and huge shower, living room, full kitchen (dishwasher), living room three TV's. I miss that!
But do I miss it more then the Disney buses?

The onsite has been mainly in the Value, at Sports, Movies , POR once,& recent trip was the first time at the POP Century.

Traveling with disabled family is too cramped with four, in a disabled room as one person can not sleep with others. The offer of a roll away in the room would make if more cramped with ECV, rollator, stroller and luggage. Most often we are in 2 rooms with 5 of us $$$$, as this trip is taking my sons ex,my dgs Mom, we need LOTS of room. I only hope this is room enough. No fighting or problems, she just missed dgs when he went on the last two trips. My son has full custody and Mom has liberal visits.

So to back up. on a whim, the ds talked me into using the AP to go again when school gets out. After several attempts by phone to get ressies at value for two rooms, I told them if it is happening, we are staying off site.

After all, the room is only to sleep in. For me, how nice it will be to have 1,000 sq feet instead of 2 cramped rooms with double beds.

So far the cost is:
AP's cover tickets (no rental car, no airfare needed)
$780 for 8 nights.
$160 for two nights, one going down another on the way home.

Round-Trip gas: 2174 Miles
120.78 Gallons Used
$443.10 Fuel Cost PA to Orlando

Next is the preperation: get the van checked out, last drive was Sept. 11.

The stay at the Value, three in this room.

The living area of the Blue Tree

Kitchen

King/or Queen bedroom

The smaller bedroom with the second bath avl.

Then there is the master bedroom with either a King or Queen bed. The living room sofa opens into a Queen bed.

Any time in Disney has to be a good time

Last edited by disneymarie; 05-12-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

hey trip report!!! im in!!! great start diane. we have friends who stay off site, rent a three bedroom house for alot less then what we pay.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
bookmama
Mouseketeer

we're staying offsit excited for a TR with people staing offsite

Look my 1st Ever TR. How we survived Tropical Storm Debbie
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....kip+the+lotion
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
luckycharliegirl
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at blue tree back in 2001, i believe, and we loved it. I think we'll be staying there again in Feb 2013, first time back in over 10 years. Will love hearing about your stay and your trip, too!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Thanks all, it is the best way for us to get a budget trip in. Found out too, from the ressie with a Queen, upgrade to a King Master bedroom, a few dollars more a night, the condo would have the washer and dryer in it

I admit to sneaking back to look at AP rates and see if I could do it, but the savings are just too much to consider for our family of 5. We would have to do 2 rooms.

So, now I am wondering with the savings, do I need a rental car to go along with the van we drive down. This gives me independance and I would only need it for a few days. On the to do list: watch the prices.

Today, I started brainstorming for meals for less. Less cost, time and more Disney. Even started to pack. Gee, the must goes are still packed from the March trip

I also got my order today for the neck, bandana chillers, for keeping everyone cool, along with a baseball type hat. It is so strange that these thin things will expand and keep cool for hrs and days in the fridge. (if there is more sun then rain) Soak for no more then 20 minutes. Keeps the carotids cool lowering core temp....
Polar breeze, I even found the Minnie Mouse one for me, $8.99 hope they keep us cooler.
under Flora/Funa new colors section I found my minnie print.

I guess I better let work know I am off again in less then a month. Things are slow in the local office, nothing dh can't take care of while I am gone.
bbl.
di
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Just a mini update in the prep plans. Although ds is driving the van down, I found out no shuttle at the hotel. Started pricing a rental for 5-7 days. Dollar will take a debit card. No charge until return and will p/u.
I am watching for the rate to go down, but so far $155. It is a bit of expense but the amount of savings for the room is still worth it.
I have friends that I visit, so that is nice to have the extra car.

Today dd is packing, I am doing some laundry and condensing the packing.

Picked up trip pic from AAA yesterday so we have on paper two routes to take from PA. One is down 81 to 77 into S.C. The other is I 81 to 83, and then I 95 around DC. Going down we will take the I 81 as far as we can.

Bought the dil ticket through Undercover Tourist so it is here in plenty of time. The next under two weeks, the kids finish up school, dd has her school trip to Hershey Park on Friday.

I found the cutest, nice material rain jacket for up to size 12 at $5 Below store. There were two styles, one was a duck, the other was blue. They have sleves and feel like a nylon in the weave so not the sticky plastic.

More later, everyone have a grand weekend.
Di
Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
luckycharliegirl
Mouseketeer

When I used to drive down from Pa, i would take 81 s to 66 to cut down just south of Washington DC, to 95. it avoids the major city traffic.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharliegirl View Post
When I used to drive down from Pa, i would take 81 s to 66 to cut down just south of Washington DC, to 95. it avoids the major city traffic.
Have to add that to my route alt.'s too. I have another for traveling N on I-77 before I 81 on a route 56 by a bridge...On my trip pic I high lite all the alt in case we need them.

The last week and this week we have doctor appointments for our backs. Having Epidurals so we can sit, drive and walk the parks.
Need to let work know that dh is working my claims and make sure they have his contacts. He has done it before and works my claims with me. I can't drive more then half hour. If I have to do Hershey from my house I do it, but pain the next day. 90 miles one way and headed this Friday for dd class outing day trip.
Whoopie,
Not a ride person so hate to put the $$$ out. Nice to have parking, tix and food paid for.

Then it is the last few days of school year and packing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: