Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Captain's Grille

Sunday morning I had arranged to meet up with some friends of mine for breakfast at Captain's Grille. I wasn't sure when my co-workers would be arriving for the conference so I wanted to keep most of my afternoon unplanned and figured breakfast would be the perfect time to see them.

We checked in around 9am & after a short wait, we were brought to a table towards the back of the restaurant.

They have a choice of a buffet or ordering off the menu. I debated a tiny bit but my decision was made as soon as I read this on the menu:

Dark Chocolate Waffles - Dried Cherry Compote, Espresso-Mascarpone Cream, Chocolate Shavings & a choice of Bacon or Sausage $10.99

along with a Cafe Latte.

It was almost like a dessert for breakfast! The waffles were rich but fluffy. The cream worked really well for them. I wasn't a huge fan of the compote but it did break up the sweetness of the dish. The bacon was well, Disney Bacon.

This was my first time enjoying Captain's Grille (I had went to the Yacht Club Galley years ago when I was still a child) but it was a great breakfast especially for a 'last' day at the parks.

After this meal, I used the rest of my snack credits on gummy snacks to bring home to my husband.

I thought about going back to the parks, but to be honest, I was just worn and knew I had a lot more going on for the rest of the week at the conference. I headed towards my hotel for the conference, where I checked in and read for the afternoon until my co-workers got there.

Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #32
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Yum! I really like Captain's Grille breakfast, but we normally stick to the buffet since it offers a nice variety. That looks absolutely delicious.

Really enjoyed reading your reviews!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #33
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

glad to see a Captains grille breakfast review - we have booked to go during our trip in october :

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Wow those pancakes look like they are the bomb
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
chinarider
DIS Veteran

those look so amazing. not sure how we are going to squeeze in breakfast ressies but...... I'm not finding a menu with that plate of deliciousness on it?? Do you know if that is a permanent item on the menu?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #37
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
those look so amazing. not sure how we are going to squeeze in breakfast ressies but...... I'm not finding a menu with that plate of deliciousness on it?? Do you know if that is a permanent item on the menu?
I'm not the OP, but here's the updated Captain's Grille breakfast menu. There's plenty of exciting new goodies on it, such as the dark chocolate waffles shown above, an updated poached eggs dish, citrus-scented french toast, oatmeal brûlée, and lemon-ricotta hotcakes. The rest of the menu is also great, including some classic choices as well as a lobster omelet. And the buffet is also really good.

Captain's Grille is a great place for breakfast - it has good food and a relaxing atmosphere.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
chinarider
DIS Veteran

thank you
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #39
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Yum! I really like Captain's Grille breakfast, but we normally stick to the buffet since it offers a nice variety. That looks absolutely delicious.

Really enjoyed reading your reviews!
Glad you are reading along. The buffet did seem to have a nice variety. One of my dining partners got it & really enjoyed it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
glad to see a Captains grille breakfast review - we have booked to go during our trip in october :
You will definitely enjoy it in October! I know I haven't seen a ton of reviews of the place either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Todd is going to be all over those pancakes in Oct! When we stayed at OKW years ago he had the chocolate mango french toast and was in hog heaven
I can see Todd being all over them! Chocolate Mango French Toast sounds so good as I love Mango and Chocolate. Hopefully more of the breakfast menus get a bit more creative with dishes like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
Wow those pancakes look like they are the bomb
They were awesome. Very rich but hey, its Disney & a vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
The menus are always subject to change, but I think its been on their menu for a few months now. Hopefully more people are enjoying it so it will stay on for a good bit.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Wow! Captain's Grill looks fabulous. We had dinner there last February and enjoyed it. I just booked breakfast for our trip in October. Thank you for sharing! Those waffles look a-mazing!!!!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #41
MaxTheHorse
Earning My Ears

Follow-up question on the Captain's Grille. Is an ADR usually necessary for breakfast? Staying at the YC in September and wondering if it will be possible to drop in for breakfast if we feel like it a couple of mornings.
MaxTheHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
Wow! Captain's Grill looks fabulous. We had dinner there last February and enjoyed it. I just booked breakfast for our trip in October. Thank you for sharing! Those waffles look a-mazing!!!!
Enjoy your breakfast! I haven't had dinner there before but I'm sure it would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheHorse View Post
Follow-up question on the Captain's Grille. Is an ADR usually necessary for breakfast? Staying at the YC in September and wondering if it will be possible to drop in for breakfast if we feel like it a couple of mornings.

Those that were walking up when we checked in where told it would be a 45 minute wait but that was at 9:15AM on a Sunday.

I think it you try to walk in earlier in the morning you should have no problems.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #43
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I didn't know Captains Grille has breakfast! Looks like my Dad might meet my sister and I for a few days during our next trip and he always NEEDS a sit down breakfast - his favorite meal of the day. This might be a great spot before EPCOT!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
I didn't know Captains Grille has breakfast! Looks like my Dad might meet my sister and I for a few days during our next trip and he always NEEDS a sit down breakfast - his favorite meal of the day. This might be a great spot before EPCOT!

It was a nice quiet place for breakfast! I could see going back their with my husband on our EPCOT days if it isn't a F&W trip.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #45
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

California Grill

I began my conference on that Sunday & enjoyed my meals with my coworkers on Sunday & Monday. On Tuesday however, they left me alone. So I decided to head back into Disney & get myself a good meal.

I ended up going with 2 appetizers to match my Jack & Coke.

The 4 Cheese Flatbread

I really enjoy their flatbread. The night before I had definitely had too much to drink so being more on the bland side was a good way to start off my meal.

After I enjoyed most of my flatbread, I knew I could adventure into some spice.

The rock shrimp salad.

I love the slight kick in the dressing and the saltiness in the shrimp.

Overall it was a great meal.

I was very happy the next day to head home though as being out of town for so long on mostly business

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: