Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #136
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
Congrats on the new camera! I know our new camera made such a difference on our trip. Even though I was still trying to figure out all the settings (and still am!) it took so much better pics than our old camera. And being able to switch between still and HD video at the touch of a button was great. Looking forward to seeing some of your new pics.
I'm already looking at buying a second lens. Love the quality of the pics I'm getting!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #137
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Star Light, Star Bright, First Star I see Tonight

Tuesday April 17th Part III - Magic Kingdom

DW and DS were waiting for us at the TTC after getting a good 2 hour nap, and we walked back towards our room. DFIL decided to get a short nap. The four of us went over to GCH and we got our Dole Whips! One thing I learned? I am a horrible Dole Whip server. As I was pouring the Whip into each cup, I couldn’t maximize the cup space. So instead of getting a pyramid shaped stack of Dole Whip, it turned out more like a cylinder shape with a VAST empty hole in the middle. More like Donut Whip! The Donut Whip still tasted excellent. We spent the next 45 minutes or so lounging in the GCH, browsing through the stores, hanging out on the couches.

5:45pm we were all rested and cooled off and recharged! DFIL joined us, and we were back at MK again. Checked in at the Plaza. I had a Cheesesteak sandwich. It was much better than I had expected although it got a bit salty near the last few bites. DFIL had the reuben sandwich and thought it was okay. Once I finished my meal, I warned everyone not to order desserts since we have a dessert party coming up, then made a quick 2 minute FP run to Buzz. DS was getting bored throughout the meal, and when I got back he was no longer wanting to stay seated so I took him outside. The two of us sat down in one of the umbrella tables out front of the restaurant and we had a nice long chat about all the things we saw and did the past few days. He recounted of course how Shamu woke him up with a big splash. Then he got down off his chair, and was ecstatic that he found some ants on the ground!! I was letting him play or look at the ants when the four very friendly ladies sitting in the next table said to me “I think he dropped something – he’s on the ground.” I smiled and said “He’s mesmerized by the ants”. Then I said “We spent all this money to come to Disney World, and here he is being entertained by ants. Ants, we have plenty at home!”.

The rest of the family finished their meals and we were off to ride Buzz.

The kids of course liked this one as well. DS rode in between DW and DFIL. He didn’t want one of the guns. He wanted the joystick in the middle that spins the pods! It was a hilarious scene. So DW and DFIL are trying to shoot at targets, but DS is having a blast spinning them around left and right! The ride came to a stop halfway through for about 2-3 minutes. Right in front of me was a target worth about 2000 points? So I spent the stoppage time by continuously blasting away at that target! The kids loved the ride so much, we pulled FPs again and while waiting for the window to open up, we marched into The Laugh Floor.

One night before our trip, DD was telling me some jokes she had learned from school. One of them went like this: “Why did Mickey fly into outer space? To find Pluto!”. I thought that was pretty cute AND thought it would be a perfect entry for the joke texts at the Laugh Floor. So while we were in the waiting area inside, I texted the joke in and put DD’s name on it. I just love this show and I wish we could have done it more than once during our trip. I can’t even remember the details anymore but the audience member participating in the retelling of Monsters Inc storyline were hilarious, and the reactions of the monsters on the screen were even more funny. Near the end of the show, it was time for Mikey’s nephew (or cousin?) to tell some of the jokes that were texted in. The very last joke he told was our DD’s! When we exited the show, DD was excited beyond belief. She was dancing and jumping and skipping around us saying “They picked my joke!” I tend to forget how something I consider to be such a small thing could bring so much joy to a 5 year old. Just made me smile. Thanks Mike Wazowski!!

After another ride on Buzz, it was time to check in for the Wishes Dessert Party at 9pm. The line to check in was about 30 people long when we arrived around 8:55pm. They checked each family in, and gave everyone wristbands so you could enter or exit as you wish. Our reserved table was right up against the railing and to the side near the stroller parking area. Excellent view and absolutely no concerns of anyone standing in front of us. We loaded up on the desserts. They also had a photopass photog in the terrace so we thought this was a great time to get a night time group picture with the castle in the background. There was a couple ahead of us that was posing for the photog. They took a pic with each other kissing and smooching and I’m thinking, hmmmm, that’s a little intimate. Then, the guy gets down on his knee and proposes. Awwwws all around. She said yes, and they took a few more pictures. I’m thinking, that’s a tough act to follow. We’re just going to take a nice boring group picture with the two year old not even looking at the camera. Okeee.

We saw the MSEP going by in the distance. You really can’t see all that much from the Terrace except for the top tips of some of the floats. I wasn’t expecting to see any MSEP action so it wasn’t a big deal. Magic Memories and You show followed.

I love the new Rapunzel addition to the show with the floating lanterns. And 10 minutes after that, Wishes!!! Everyone has their preferences, but for me, Wishes trumps Illuminations and Fantasmic by a mile. The song, the displays, everything about it contains the essence of Disney magic. We didn’t have Tink “fly” for us this particular night, but I didn’t even realize that until the show was over. DD sat in my lap cuddled. It was perfect! I also tried to take some pics but most of it didn’t work because of shaky hands. Here are the relatively good ones.

The show was over. CMs were cleaning up. I hate trying to leave MK at closing time right after Wishes. The crush of the crowd is just too much, and navigating that with strollers is just not magical. So we’ve always hanged back for about 45 minutes in the past. I asked the CMs if we could just sit here for that long and they said, absolutely. The food carts were all gone by then. But we just hung around, the kids playing with the balloons. Around 10:45pm we headed down Main Street and exited the park.

Got on the resort monorail and everyone was in bed by 11:30pm.

Next Up: A Poly Sunrise

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #138
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

I've finally moved on to the next phase of managing my Disney withdrawal. Pricing Disney vacations just for fun even though I know there's zero chance we can go during that period.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #139
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I've finally moved on to the next phase of managing my Disney withdrawal. Pricing Disney vacations just for fun even though I know there's zero chance we can go during that period.
Coming back from Disney it's like we move through all 4 stages of loss and grief. Or would it be more appropriate to have a 12 step program for Disney addiction?

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #140
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh Dave - I was there weeks ago! I have already had a Disneyland Califrnia vacation planning DVD sent to my house! It arrived 5 days ago!! The only thing that I find frustrating, is trying to find info for prices for 2013 - it's impossible. We want to know prices for January, it's not allowing us to book that far in advance on their website? I went to the West Jet sight, and I can find flights for that day to Orlando (Still almost $600 each return!), but can not book a complete Disney package yet. I CAN however, book one through DVC rentals - let me know if you think this is a good price, cause I have NO idea! My parents went ALL OUT for our last trip, and it was just over $10,000!!!!!

Dates of trip - Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2013
Family of 4 (2 adults, 10 year old (priced as an adult for DP) & a 5 year old)

7 nights at the AKL Villa (DVC points rental) - $910.00
QS DP - $818.72
8 Days Park Hopper Passes - $1344.00
Flights - $2942.60

Total price of Disney Vacation (minus spending $ of coarse) = $5796.32

Quote:
Coming back from Disney it's like we move through all 4 stages of loss and grief. Or would it be more appropriate to have a 12 step program for Disney addiction?
Yes - we need help. Badly. LOL
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico
November, 2014 - Paradisus La Esmeralda, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR

Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #141
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But I like being addicted to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Oh Dave - I was there weeks ago! I have already had a Disneyland Califrnia vacation planning DVD sent to my house! It arrived 5 days ago!! The only thing that I find frustrating, is trying to find info for prices for 2013 - it's impossible. We want to know prices for January, it's not allowing us to book that far in advance on their website? I went to the West Jet sight, and I can find flights for that day to Orlando (Still almost $600 each return!), but can not book a complete Disney package yet. I CAN however, book one through DVC rentals - let me know if you think this is a good price, cause I have NO idea! My parents went ALL OUT for our last trip, and it was just over $10,000!!!!!

Dates of trip - Jan 26 - Feb 2, 2013
Family of 4 (2 adults, 10 year old (priced as an adult for DP) & a 5 year old)
7 nights at the AKL Villa (DVC points rental) - $910.00
QS DP - $818.72
8 Days Park Hopper Passes - $1344.00
Flights - $2942.60

Total price of Disney Vacation (minus spending $ of coarse) = $5796.32
Hi Charity! Hadn't seen you on the boards the past few days!
You lodging at AKL Villa is definitely a good deal where basically you have it under $150 per night (which is on par for a Moderate resort pricing for off-peak season) for a Deluxe.

If I remember correctly, 2012 pricing for packages from Disney were not released until July of 2011. So if we go by the same timeline, it should be another couple of months before you can do anything online. I think I remember reading somewhere you could still book for room-only ressies over the phone if you call Disney directly.

Another thing to consider. The dates you're quoting for are one of the most off-season times of the year. Our trip in 2011 was practically the same week as yours. In the past few years, Disney had a LOT of promotions for this period including room discounts or free dining plans. No guarantee that this will be the case for 2013 since Disney has been doing quite well financially the past couple of years, but the odds are in your favor. Depending on how deep the discounts are, you may be able to go even cheaper than your current total.

You can also see if you can get a personal PIN. I would register an online account on Disneyworld.com under your husband's name and email so that Disney's system doesn't recognize your family (They tend to send more PINs to people who they believe are first timers), and price and save a few vacations once they become available online in a couple of months. Usually, that results in an email with a PIN. I tried this under my DFIL for our last trip and he got multiple PINs although we never ended up using them because the room-only discount for the public made up for it.

As for the dining plan, when you have time, I would recommend calculating out your meal expenses and seeing if the dining plan will actually save you money or not. I did this for our last trip, by looking up menu prices from allears.net and calculating the amount for each meal for the whole family and found out that at best we would break even by purchasing a dining plan if we ordered the most expensive items on the menu. So, we decided not to purchase it.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #142
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Ok. So today is my day off and I went and bought a lens for my new camera that is excellent for portraits and in-door/low lighting. I am so happy with my new camera now, and am kicking myself for not upgrading before our Disney trip. Just to show off a couple of sample shots I took

Here's one with moderately low indoor lighting from about 6 feet away. I clearly need some more practice on how to place my focus, but still looks good.

Here's one with extremely low lighting (all the shades down and lights off). I still have to work on minimizing my hand shaking, but I think this works splendidly.

Will be going to a relative's wedding this weekend in Ohio, and plan on practicing more there.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #143
vicki's mom
Earning My Ears

I am aboard. Enjoying your report.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #144
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki's mom View Post
I am aboard. Enjoying your report.
Thanks for joining in!!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #145
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I’m thinking, that’s a tough act to follow. We’re just going to take a nice boring group picture with the two year old not even looking at the camera. Okeee.

Quote:
The show was over. CMs were cleaning up. I hate trying to leave MK at closing time right after Wishes. The crush of the crowd is just too much, and navigating that with strollers is just not magical. So we’ve always hanged back for about 45 minutes in the past. I asked the CMs if we could just sit here for that long and they said, absolutely. The food carts were all gone by then. But we just hung around, the kids playing with the balloons. Around 10:45pm we headed down Main Street and exited the park.
So glad to see this portion. I was looking for a review of the Dessert Party as we have that booked for the first time this July. Good tip to know about waiting at the Terrace while the hoards of people head out. Question though....our party is on a EMH night. We were planning on staying there after the party and getting a few more rides in. Was it possible with the crowds to move towards Tomorrowland? Or should we stay put for a while then try to ride?

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #146
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post

So glad to see this portion. I was looking for a review of the Dessert Party as we have that booked for the first time this July. Good tip to know about waiting at the Terrace while the hoards of people head out. Question though....our party is on a EMH night. We were planning on staying there after the party and getting a few more rides in. Was it possible with the crowds to move towards Tomorrowland? Or should we stay put for a while then try to ride?
You should be fine heading towards Tomorrowland from the Dessert Party right after it's over. The party area entrance is along the corridor of Tomorrowland Terrace that connects Main Street area (Plaza Restaurant Area) to Tomorrowland (next to the Laugh Floor). Since the exit crush crowd is usually heading out Main Street, if you exit the Dessert Party through the Tomorrowland end of the path, I think you'll be fine.

Also, since I spent some time in Tomorrowland during and right after Wishes as part of my solo tour, I can tell you that the crowd level in Tomorrowland was very manageable during those times.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #147
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, since I spent some time in Tomorrowland during and right after Wishes as part of my solo tour, I can tell you that the crowd level in Tomorrowland was very manageable during those times.
Cool thanks Yay! Can't wait! I thought this TTDP would be a wise choice with the heat and crowds of July. Hope we get as good of a table assignment as you did.

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #148
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Cool thanks Yay! Can't wait! I thought this TTDP would be a wise choice with the heat and crowds of July. Hope we get as good of a table assignment as you did.
You'll love it! And even if your table assignment is in the back, you can move up to the railing when the fireworks start and there's plenty of room for everyone. Avoiding the crowds is what makes this all worthwhile in my opinion.

I've heard rumors that the table assignments are made in the order the reservation was received. I made our ressie about 2 hours after the online system opened up for April, and it appears I got the second table in order if the rumor holds true.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #149
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

A Poly Sunrise

Wednesday, April 18th Part I - Resort Day

We were all ready for this day. As much fun we all had, everyone was tired and needed some sleep. There were no rope drops to make for this day. No touring plans. No FP runs. Just relaxation and pool time. Well, at least that was going to be the case for everyone else. I don’t know about you, but when I’m at Disney I have a very hard time sleeping and I never take any naps. I just want to spend every waking minute soaking it all in and naps tend to get in the way of that. Also, a couple of months back, I believe it was a fellow DISer Zuzu03 who introduced the idea of watching the sunrise from the Poly beach. I loved the idea so even though I didn’t fall asleep until midnight the night before after returning from Wishes, I made plans to wake up at 6am and head out. DW who just the night before told me I was crazy, woke up with me as well and was able to join me.

We walked along the beach from Tahiti. It was still pitch dark when we first came out and we made it all the way over to the Volcano Pool.

The whole beach and walkways were completely deserted. I just love that feeling where you have the whole area to yourself especially at a place like Disney. We spotted one CM with a broom and a dustpan who appeared to be “sweeping” the zero-entry area of the pool with his broom hitting the surface of the water – hmmm, that’s an interesting way to sweep. Ducks and rabbits were plentiful.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but there were a LOT of ducklings following their moms during our visit. We started noticing a glow to the east with the Contemporary Resort as a back drop.

So we walked back over to Sunset Pointe.

By then, there was a very decent yellow/pink glow in the horizon. As we walked back towards the main beach, we had to dodge a couple of sprinklers that just happened to pop their heads out as we were walking right by them! We sat on one of the bench swings for a few minutes, then noticed a beautiful red hue in the clouds.

I was very glad we did this (Thanks Zuzu03!). It was quiet. Just a couple of early morning joggers. It just set the right tone for the rest of our relaxing resort day. When a CM started using the riding beach-sweeper, we headed back to our room around 7am to hear both of our kids up and trying their best to get Grandpa out of bed.

Next Up: A Tropical Breakfast with Lilo and Stitch

Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #150
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Beautiful pics!! (imagine what you'll be able to do next time with the new camera! ) We were waking up around 6:00am most mornings and I peeked outside once and saw a beautiful sunrise but didn't take the time to step outside with the camera. Now I'm really wishing I had.

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: