Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input, & pointing me in the right direction! And for all the photo's I really enjoyed getting to see them!

First trips as a family: Nov. 2014 AOA - Oct. 2012 AKL
kgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I have 2 questions.

Actually I seem to have thousands, but I'll confine this post to 2

1. Do you try and get your shots as early on in the show as possible to avoid smoke becoming an issue? Or is that not really a factor?

2. My Nikkor 18-105 lens is my walkabout lens. Would something like my 50mm f1.8 prime be better or should I stick with my all purpose lens for fireworks shots?

Thanks
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
smooreo
Mouseketeer

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but we're planning our trip for Oct and I would love to know, Franklin, if can you tell me where you were for all the fireworks? I read Missy's trip report (so fun!) and want dh to capture pics like yours. We've got an old D80 and are waiting for the new 300s or might just get the 800. Not sure. It's our first trip as a family and I have absolutely no idea where to position ourselves for all the fireworks.

TIA!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #34
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

yep, tripods and remote release are the order of the day for firework pictures, but here are a couple I took by hand from the Contemporary

coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #35
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I have 2 questions.

Actually I seem to have thousands, but I'll confine this post to 2

1. Do you try and get your shots as early on in the show as possible to avoid smoke becoming an issue? Or is that not really a factor?

2. My Nikkor 18-105 lens is my walkabout lens. Would something like my 50mm f1.8 prime be better or should I stick with my all purpose lens for fireworks shots?

Thanks
I'm by no means an expert, but for #2, I'd think your 18-105 would actually be better. Wider is good as the fireworks do spread out from the Castle (or globe, depending on which show) quite a bit. You also don't have to worry about shooting at max aperture, since you're going to be stopping down a bit for longer exposures and more DOF. And zoom + lights can be fun

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

Smoke may be a factor. That depends on the wind on the night of the performance. I have been on all sides of the castle and smoke truly depends on the way the wind blows. A small breeze is the best night unless that is where you are standing.

Since a fast lens is not needed for fireworks, your 18-105 should do fine. A tripod and shutter release are a must. Set your camera to bulb. That means the shutter stays open as long as you want. I try to fire the shutter right as the large fireworks are just getting ready to expand. Trial and error is part of the fun for me.

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooreo View Post
Hope you don't mind me butting in, but we're planning our trip for Oct and I would love to know, Franklin, if can you tell me where you were for all the fireworks? I read Missy's trip report (so fun!) and want dh to capture pics like yours. We've got an old D80 and are waiting for the new 300s or might just get the 800. Not sure. It's our first trip as a family and I have absolutely no idea where to position ourselves for all the fireworks.

TIA!
I really cannot believe I am saying this.

If your current camera is D80 and you are looking to upgrade, I would recommend the D7000 over the 300s or the D800. The D7000 images are rated as good as the D300s and it has video. The D800 is truly an amazing camera but I consider it a pro or pro-sumer camera. At 36mp it takes an amazing image but very very large. If your education or skill level is a D80 the D800 may be too much camera for you. At least a more than reasonable learning curve to take advantage of what the camera really offers.

I love to see people move up in equipment but want you to feel comfortable. If you have a strong photography background and the D80 is just the DSLR you use, then go for the D800. You will love it! I have just gotten its' big sister and love mine. I am considering selling two other cameras and getting the D800 as my second camera.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #38
YesDear

Quote:

TIA!
I really cannot believe I am saying this.

If your current camera is D80 and you are looking to upgrade, I would recommend the D7000 over the 300s or the D800. The D7000 images are rated as good as the D300s and it has video. The D800 is truly an amazing camera but I consider it a pro or pro-sumer camera. At 36mp it takes an amazing image but very very large. If your education or skill level is a D80 the D800 may be too much camera for you. At least a more than reasonable learning curve to take advantage of what the camera really offers.

I love to see people move up in equipment but want you to feel comfortable. If you have a strong photography background and the D80 is just the DSLR you use, then go for the D800. You will love it! I have just gotten its' big sister and love mine. I am considering selling two other cameras and getting the D800 as my second camera.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I shoot the whole show. Sometimes smoke makes a mess, and sometimes it makes a nice atmosphere. You won't know until you shoot it.

Quote:
You don't shoot fireworks wide open, so either lens can work if it gives you the composition you want.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #40
2Tiggies

Thank you so much Cafeen, YesDear and WBeem for taking the time to reply to all those questions

I'm really looking forward to trying some fireworks shots this year. I have never even attempted them as I had no clue where to start. If any of the pics come out okay I will share them. I will make a note of any further questions I think of so I can stagger them over the next three months and not ask them all at once
Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #41
2Tiggies

Coloneldebugger, your timing on those shots you posted was incredible!

Great photos!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #42
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Coloneldebugger, your timing on those shots you posted was incredible!

Great photos!
Much appreciated, but shooting in burst mode helps a little there.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #43
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Quote:

TIA!
Thanks for reading our trip report! I actually went from a D70s to the D7000 and I love it.

For Wishes I would usually set up between the Hub and Casey's Corner. Most of my shots were back from the Hub, on the bridge. About the second light post. I was at 16mm. I had set it to the widest, then crop later if I needed to. Most kit lenses are at 18mm so for that I would be closer to Casey's corner.

One of our trips we stayed at the Contemporary. This is from the balcony of our room! Another great spot there would be the balcony at California Grill. Or the bridge between the Contemporary and Bay Lake Towers.

I've only done Illuminations once. We got a tip from someone here on the Dis and they mentioned to try the balcony at the restaurant in Japan. We were running a little late so we didn't get the corner spot. That meant we couldn't see the globe well.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #44
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Shooting a fireworks show is a great way to get some pretty unique shots that don't necessarily focus on the fireworks, per se. So be on the lookout for those opportunities.

Here are a few examples:

A part of Illuminations where are basically just flames everywhere...

Lake Of Fire by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A moment of darkness during Wishes. The smoke actually helps to make a lighter background; therefore showcasing the cool silhouette of Cinderella's Castle.....

Running Out Of Wishes by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A crazy exposure that made for a nice surprise....

Wishes!!!!! by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #45
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
Shooting a fireworks show is a great way to get some pretty unique shots that don't necessarily focus on the fireworks, per se. So be on the lookout for those opportunities.

Here are a few examples:

A part of Illuminations where are basically just flames everywhere...

Lake Of Fire by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A moment of darkness during Wishes. The smoke actually helps to make a lighter background; therefore showcasing the cool silhouette of Cinderella's Castle.....

Running Out Of Wishes by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A crazy exposure that made for a nice surprise....

Wishes!!!!! by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

As old Bob Ross used to say, happy accidents

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: