Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I totally agree with you, and have always been careful with media.

But tell that to the people who are marketing that moview to young kids with toys and ads . Obviously, I'm still the parent, and I make the choices. Still, its worth noting that the rating matters not a bit to the "movie maker." You can bet they want those young kids in those theaters. So, I can blame them a little I think .
There are books, costumes and games for children based on the Avengers license, plus the toys, including Legos. Disney and Marvel are marketing the property as a whole to children, not specifically the movie. The movie itself is rated PG-13 for lots of reasons. Disney and Marvel might want to maximize their audience for the movie, but the ads for the movie itself haven't been aimed at small children. (At least that I have seen. Did I miss some?). Parents have the responsibility to make an educated choice when they decide what movies to let their children see and the rating is one very important tool at their disposal. I see nothing wrong with parents taking kids younger than 13 to The Avengers if they think their kids can handle the kinds of things that are likely to come up in a Pg-13 movie. It's unreasonable for a parent to take their child to see it because Disney wants young kids in the theater and then get upset because their child wasn't ready for some things in the movie. It seems as though more and more often on here I see people (not you specifically) who disregard the rating of a movie because there were happy meal toys for that movie, or because "it's Disney" or "it's animated so it's for kids" and then they get upset when the movie is not appropriate for smaller children. The studio can sell toys or books or make cartoons based on the property or market the movie however they choose to. Ultimately, the parent is the one who chooses whether their child can see the movie and no one else is to blame if they choose poorly.

ETA- I can certainly understand a child who is otherwise ready for a PG-13 movie having a moment of confusion like the one the previous poster mentioned, which he was then able to explain to his child. Obviously his child was ready for that movie. But in the case of someone whose child is so sensitive to jokes about adoption that two words can ruin the movie for them and traumatize them enough to need 90 minutes of soothing, I think it is the parent's responsibility to be extra vigilant when checking the content of movies before exposing the child to potentially upsetting jokes. A movie where the villain has previously mentioned that his motivation is the fact that he is adopted might not be the best choice for a child who might be upset by negative mentions of adoption since adoption is almost certainly going to come up in some capacity. It might be wise for the parents of children who are especially sensitive to particular things to watch the movie first before allowing their child to see it.

Last edited by Scurvy; 05-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adoption, avengers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: