Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #931
jiminwi38
Earning My Ears

Cool how great

I am very excited to read all the great tips. This will be my 5 th disney cruise will be sail on the Disney Fantasy OCt 27, 2012 it will be just 3 adults no kids this time around. any great tips for the adults

jiminwi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #932
jiminwi38
Earning My Ears

Cpap machines

I did see a post about Cpap and bipap machines and if we let them know they will have distalded water for us to use. What i cant find is the plugs are there plugs near the bed or do we also need to request extension coards. We are sailing Oct 27, 2012 on the Disney Fantasy. If anyone can help with this question that would be great. We are taking some ideas from the thread like the t****s for my grand kids what a great gift that will be for them when we get back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #933
redman822
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminwi38 View Post
I did see a post about Cpap and bipap machines and if we let them know they will have distalded water for us to use. What i cant find is the plugs are there plugs near the bed or do we also need to request extension coards. We are sailing Oct 27, 2012 on the Disney Fantasy. If anyone can help with this question that would be great. We are taking some ideas from the thread like the t****s for my grand kids what a great gift that will be for them when we get back
I too have a CPAP and there are outlets right at the nightstands on both sides (on the Dream, which I presume would be the same on the Fantasy) - no extension cords needed. I can't comment on distilled water though as I don't use the humidifier.
redman822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #934
richmo
DIS Veteran

The last couple of posts reminded me of a tip I've used: Electrical outlets are not plentiful (at least not on the Wonder). If you have a bunch of stuff to plug in (i.e., camera chargers, MP3/iPods, eReaders/tablets etc.), its a good idea to bring along a power strip.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #935
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
Make sure your family has early seating dinner. If not change that first thing once on board. Check your Navigator for dining changes location.

Re-book your next Disney cruise onboard to get 10% off and $100 onboard credit.
On early dinner...note that the poster had young children. In this case, it makes sense. However, if your kids are older, go for late dinner. Advantages to late dinner: you're not nearly as rushed, in some cases port excursions may get you back too late for early dinner, there's fewer young children late, so its a little quieter and on many cruises, having an early dinner means a really early breakfast the last day.

On rebooking the cruise onboard; it makes a lot of sense. There are times when the booking desk is pretty crowded. There are times when it won't be, so be patient...there's no need to get in a long line. Just check occasionally. Also keep in mind that while you'll be booking a specific cruise, you can change it after you get home.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #936
redman822
Mouseketeer

If I remember correctly (it's been over a year since my Dream cruise) there is one double outlet on either side of the bed and two double outlets on the desk. But out of all those in the cabin, three receptacles are used - one for the alarm clock, one for the wave phone and one for the TV...
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #937
jpabst17216
Who's the brains in this outfit?

cash?

This may be a stupid question, but do the waiters prefer cash tips? I know most people in the service industry do, but my husband is not wanting to carry a roll of cash every day for tips. Is it worth the hassle, or does disney tax them on cash tips too (in tht case I won't bother). I'm sure there are cameras everywhere watching them...are they able to pocket their cash tips.

06/14- WDW-OKW 05/14- WDW offsite 03/14- WDW-SSR 10/13-WDW-BWV 06/13-WDW-AFV 08/12-WDW-AKV 05/12-Wonder-Alaska 10/11-WDW-SSR 05/11-Wonder-Alaska 11/10-WDW-Treehouse Villa 09/08-WDW-Land and Sea 06/07-WDW-SSR 03/07-WDW-SSR 05/06-WDW-Carribean Beach 10/02-WDW-offsite 10/98-WDW-Land and Sea 04/94-WDW-offsite
jpabst17216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #938
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpabst17216 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but do the waiters prefer cash tips? I know most people in the service industry do, but my husband is not wanting to carry a roll of cash every day for tips. Is it worth the hassle, or does disney tax them on cash tips too (in tht case I won't bother). I'm sure there are cameras everywhere watching them...are they able to pocket their cash tips.
You dont tip at the table at the time of the meal like you do at a regular resturant.

Your tips are done at the end of the cruise. You will be given envelopes to put your tips in for the entire cruise. There are suggested amounts for each person not only your dining room staff but your stateroom host/hostess as well. The way it is currently working- the suggested amount for each team member is added to your stateroom account- you can go to guest services and either add or subtract based on your service experience. You will receive little slips of paper to put in the tip envelopes that you give your server on the last night of the cruise. You could also add cash to the envelope if you wanted to acknowledge someone for excellent service. I am not sure how the tax thing works but my guess is since most of the servers are not from the United States, it is not taxed.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #939
redman822
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, you have the same waiters in the main dining rooms for the whole cruise (which is great because they really get to know your likes/dislikes) - you only tip them at the end of the cruise, not every day. As for the waiters/bartenders around the ship, you can sign the tips to them to your room. Back when we cruised last year we made tip envelopes for all the major positions (Cabin Steward, Server, Asst. Server, Dining Room Capt.) and tipped in cash appropriately. I have read elsewhere that since then DCL has moved those tips to room charges based on the 'standards' shown on their website. You have to go to guest services to modify them before you settle your account at the end of the cruise.

As for tax purposes, I am not sure how it works, the ships are 'based' in Nassau, so I am pretty sure Bahamian tax laws apply, not USA's.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #940
jpabst17216
Who's the brains in this outfit?

I know your nightly waiters are tipped at the end, but I also like to tip my bartenders extra on top of the already included 15%. As much as we drink...it adds up! And even though they are from out of the country, do they pay taxes at home? Would they prefer cash instead of the room charge slip?

06/14- WDW-OKW 05/14- WDW offsite 03/14- WDW-SSR 10/13-WDW-BWV 06/13-WDW-AFV 08/12-WDW-AKV 05/12-Wonder-Alaska 10/11-WDW-SSR 05/11-Wonder-Alaska 11/10-WDW-Treehouse Villa 09/08-WDW-Land and Sea 06/07-WDW-SSR 03/07-WDW-SSR 05/06-WDW-Carribean Beach 10/02-WDW-offsite 10/98-WDW-Land and Sea 04/94-WDW-offsite
jpabst17216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #941
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Quote:
I know your nightly waiters are tipped at the end, but I also like to tip my bartenders extra on top of the already included 15%. As much as we drink...it adds up! And even though they are from out of the country, do they pay taxes at home? Would they prefer cash instead of the room charge slip?
The standard tip amount will be chaged to your room account, beginning very soon. You may add to it with cash at the end of the cuise, go to guest services and add to it using our account or change the tip amount as you see fit. Cash or room charge, they are not taxed on the $ paid them. As far as do they pay taxes at home, you would hae to ask a CM. As to the bartenders or bar staff, I don't know if the auto tip and anything above goes to the server or the bartender or is split. I assume that if you order from a server, that person gets the tip, if you are at the bar and the bartender serves you, that person gets the tip. Again, you would have to ask them directly about taxes, anyone here, unless they have held that position, would be speculating.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #942
jiminwi38
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman822 View Post
I too have a CPAP and there are outlets right at the nightstands on both sides (on the Dream, which I presume would be the same on the Fantasy) - no extension cords needed. I can't comment on distilled water though as I don't use the humidifier.
Thank you so much for the info this is a great site i will let you know about the fantsy when we return
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #943
DLW8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
On rebooking the cruise onboard; it makes a lot of sense. There are times when the booking desk is pretty crowded. There are times when it won't be, so be patient...there's no need to get in a long line. Just check occasionally. Also keep in mind that while you'll be booking a specific cruise, you can change it after you get home.
When rebooking onboard, there is not need to actually wait in line or visit the booking desk personally. There are quote request cards that you can pick up at the booking desk. Fill it out, drop it off and they will return the quote to your room. Then, if you decide you want to book it, call the # on the card and you will get the confirmation delivered to your room.

If you aren't sure when you can cruise again, book a "dummy date" and then you can change it to whenever you want and you keep the discount and OBC.

I have read way too many posts about people that didn't book onboard and then regret it as soon as the leave the ship.

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #944
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLW8 View Post
If you aren't sure when you can cruise again, book a "dummy date" and then you can change it to whenever you want and you keep the discount and OBC.

I have read way too many posts about people that didn't book onboard and then regret it as soon as the leave the ship.
This is what I did!! When we sailed 11/2011 I booked the last 3 day cruise at the end of 2013 and we'll change it to a 7 day cruise at another time!! This kept the initial deposit LOW, and allows me time to find the cruise I want without feeling pressured to decide onboard. But I'm locked into the 10% discount!! And if you decide you won't cruise you can always get your deposit back!! NOT US!! WE'RE GOING!!!

On another note...

... I keep getting request email to "share" the document I made with all the cruise secrets that have been posted here (I have some updating to do!!) Can someone please explain to me what it is that your asking for? I thought that by posting it here I was "sharing" it!?!?

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)

Last edited by rescuetink; 05-09-2012 at 08:12 AM.
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #945
Crecia27
Earning My Ears

I just want to say thanks for all of the info - especially the word doc! I really didn't think it was possible to be more excited for our first Disney cruise - and then I found this board!

Also my husband and wallet greatly appreciate the rebooking a 3/4 day cruise while onboard! I'm 99.99% sure I will want to do the Fantasy in 2014.
Crecia27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: