Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
EricQelDroma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
It was obvious the line was a reference to Loki and Thor was just trying to backtrack from his defense of him after being reminded that Loki was being extremely awful.

It was clearly not intended as a slam against adoption in general.
It's funny: what you call "backtrack[ing] from his defense of [Loki]" is exactly what I call "a slam about adoption in general."

There are only three possible meanings to the line:
  1. Loki is bad. He can be bad while we (the "real" or biological family) are good because he's adopted.
  2. Loki isn't "really" my brother or part of my family because he's adopted.
  3. Adoption is different and inferior to blood relations.
Either way, the line itself rips on adoption and/or adoptees. Now, whether you think the line is funny or not, whether you think any offense was intended or not, those three possibilities are the ONLY real possibilities as to the meaning of the line. My seven-year-old daughter caught #3 and #1 without a hint of reaction or prompting from me. She's never been taught that adoption is in any way inferior to typical arrangements, so she didn't find it funny.

It's a thoughtless line that is admittedly completely inconsistent with Thor's behavior toward Loki in both movies. It's not a deal-breaker for me with the movie, but having it in there is rude and insensitive. If it were about any other traditionally disadvantaged group (African Americans, women, gays, etc.) in this kind of context, it would have been widely and instantaneously disparaged and condemned. I'm sure that for Joss it was a throwaway line. For my daughter and for me, it's a comment on our family and our life.

I would have been perfectly okay with it if Stark had said it and Thor had reacted violently, saying, "Do Not. Presume. To Mock. My Family. Ever Again." or something like that. The "adoption" line from a thoughtless ego-maniac, coupled with that kind of reaction from Thor about his real (meaning "his forever-adoptive-whatever-positive") brother would have addressed the issue well and had the characters behave more consistently.
EricQelDroma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adoption, avengers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: