Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #76
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I watch Tosh.0. I laugh. Then I feel dirty afterwards.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #77
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
I AM AN ADOPTIVE PARENT. However, we don't allow others to define who we are as a family or let adoption define who our daughter is as a person. Some off Colorado joke by a stupid cartoon character in a stupid movie has no relevance on our life.

If you don't like my earlier comparisons how about all the evil step mom references in movies and Tv? Is anyone crying about adoption jokes also up in arms about those as well?

I don't allow that either. Not even close.

And still, I can't compare blonde jokes to adopted kids jokes. If you think its the same, that's fine. I just don't agree.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #78
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Exactly my point; you took what I said out of context. It's one thing to find something objectionable, but taking those objections and making a federal case out of them when it's JUST A MOVIE LINE is where it becomes pathetic.

I don't think I did take it out of context. But using language like "federal case" and "pathetic" sort of proves my point that those opposed to OP's view are making a bigger deal out of this than those that agree.

Is it just a movie line if it hurts a different race or homosexual? I don't think it would be "just a movie line" for me. I wouldn't make a federal case out of it - and I haven't done that here, but I wouldn't think it was just a line either.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #79
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
And I think its silly for other people to believe that someone who's bothered by it has a silly point of view. And being bothered by it is way different than being outraged.

All movies send lots of messages - many of them negative. Sometimes the messages are unintentional.

I talked with my boys this morning, and they were glad I did. They know that people who haven't been adopted are sometimes clueless. It was actually a great moment to reiterate my love for them, and talk to them about general adoption issues.
So now people who disagree with you are clueless?

(see..I Can take a line out of context too and get all upset about it and make it mean what I want to make it mean to meet my personal feelings on a subject too)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #80
skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Loki isn't the only comic book character (or any fictional character) to be adopted. We've got two more coming out shortly...Spiderman and Superman. Spidey was adopted by his aunt and uncle and Supes, well, we all know his story. It would take a long time for me to laundry list all the comic book characters, Disney characters and literary characters who were adopted. So I reject the person who bemoaned the overuse of "adoption" as a plot point. It's been around long before any of us posting here, and it works as a plot point.

As this movie stands, Thor was making a quip about someone HE loves dearly (as evidenced by his words and actions throughout both movies). It didn't diminish the love his family has for him (either the quip, or Loki's bloodthirsty and vile actions). Maybe THAT'S the point the offended should make to their kids. That even though Loki made bad choices, his family still loved him just as much. The audience however is supposed to dislike Loki...not because he's adopted...but because he's the bad guy trying to slaughter or enslave the human race.

If you want an empowering story of an adopted child, wait for Spiderman and Superman (The Man of Steel), but remember, not all adopted kids turn out as the good guy, nor do they turn out to be the bad guy...just like everyone else.

Personally, it was one of the best lines in the movie. Clearly some disagree. I would suggest you avoid the sequels if Joss Whedon is helming them again. His writing style is entirely that way. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, FULL of self deprecation and pot shots.

Wonder if the surfers were offended when Stark called Thor "Point Break" or if the drama club kids are upset about him also calling Thor "Shakespeare in the Park"?

But if one of my adopted kids did bad things, my biological child wouldn't think to first say, "He's adopted."

Now, as I've said lots of times to no avail, I'm not super offended. Its just something that's worth noting and discussing with my kids. They did have feelings about it. Not offended, just some complicated feelings. Not a huge deal (I keep saying that, but no one's listening).

I am way more offended by opinions that indicate we should not have conflicted feelings or even possibly be offended. I know that people here will deny that this has been stated, but in so many words, I believe it has been.

I'm not "picking" on you Jenassis - I just used your post to illustrate the reality in my family with biological and adopted children.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #81
skater

Quote:
So now people who disagree with you are clueless?

(see..I Can take a line out of context too and get all upset about it and make it mean what I want to make it mean to meet my personal feelings on a subject too)

I did not do the same thing, but whatever. Its okay with me if you want to believe that. I like to discuss things and I like to share pov's. I don't mind people feeling different things than me and having different opinions. Its some of the ways that it has been expressed here that bugs me. And yes, I personally believe that there has been a little cluelessness here today. In and out of context .
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #82
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
If you don't like my earlier comparisons how about all the evil step mom references in movies and Tv? Is anyone crying about adoption jokes also up in arms about those as well?
I think "evil stepmother" is a pretty analogous comparison. Quite frankly, I do think those references are unfortunate for families who are trying to blend families. Not all step mothers are evil. In fact, there are very few who are... but it's a very common storytelling device (adoption is, too.)

I would guess that the barrage of "evil stepmother" references make the loving stepmothers sigh. They know it's not "about them" but it certainly doesn't make their lives any easier. That's how I feel about the adoption reference -- not something to get into a big huff about, but my family sure could do without it. (We don't have any stepmothers in our family -- evil or otherwise -- but we do have some adoptees, so the adoption references hit closer to home for us.)

And the more I think about it -- as a result of this thread, because I initially didn't give it much thought besides "ugh. Did they have to go there?" -- I'm really not sure it was really "in character" for Thor to say that. He had been so staunchly in the support your family/hate the actions, but love your brother camp until that point (and after), that I don't think saying "he's not really my brother" (which is what the line conveyed) was in character.

Last edited by design_mom; 05-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #83
billdob62
Mouseketeer

I think your fears are ungrounded in regard to what was said in the movie. Adopted children are loved as much as other children by their parents. After all...they were chosen.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #84
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
But if one of my adopted kids did bad things, my biological child wouldn't think to first say, "He's adopted."

Now, as I've said lots of times to no avail, I'm not super offended. Its just something that's worth noting and discussing with my kids. They did have feelings about it. Not offended, just some complicated feelings. Not a huge deal (I keep saying that, but no one's listening).

I am way more offended by opinions that indicate we should not have conflicted feelings or even possibly be offended. I know that people here will deny that this has been stated, but in so many words, I believe it has been.

I'm not "picking" on you Jenassis - I just used your post to illustrate the reality in my family with biological and adopted children.
No prob...I know you're not picking on me (and vice versa). The thing is, I totally believe a frustrated brother would say something stupid about his brother at that moment. I've done it...in fact I accidentally did it TO my sister by inadvertently texting a gripe I had about her TO her instead of to the cousin I was complaining to. I felt like an idiot and a heel afterwards, but in that moment of hot frustration, I said some things I wasn't proud of.

I found it to be very believable that Thor would lash out even in jest at his brother who had been dogging him despite his best efforts to love him. But that's just me. People are not perfect...apparently the fictitious demi-god isn't perfect, which made him much more realistic to me. I like my heroes flawed and human.

Quote:
I did not do the same thing, but whatever. Its okay with me if you want to believe that. I like to discuss things and I like to share pov's. I don't mind people feeling different things than me and having different opinions. Its some of the ways that it has been expressed here that bugs me. And yes, I personally believe that there has been a little cluelessness here today. In and out of context .
You know I didn't REALLY feel that way ...just tryin' to keep it real.

You know what IS amazing? That despite this controversy (minor or major from whomever's perspective) everyone seems to still agree that the movie WAS indeed good.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #85
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
And the more I think about it -- as a result of this thread, because I initially didn't give it much thought besides "ugh. Did they have to go there?" -- I'm really not sure it was really "in character" for Thor to say that. He had been so staunchly in the support your family/hate the actions, but love your brother camp until that point (and after), that I don't think saying "he's not really my brother" (which is what the line conveyed) was in character.
I don't know that it was all that out of character. He spent the better part of two movies trying to convince Loki that they are brothers, and that nothing has changed just because they've discovered his origins are different than they thought. Loki has tried to kill him and has tried to destroy everything that Thor cares about and yet it is still obvious that the only one who cares about the adoption at all is Loki. I don't think it's that out of character for Thor to make a comment like that in the context of the scene, especially since Loki himself has made it clear that his origins are his excuse for the things he has done. Plus, that type of comment fits in perfectly with the rest of the comments in the movie. As another poster mentioned, it is completely Whedon's style to use that kind of dialogue and humor. I think it's obvious to most people who watch the movies that the line isn't serious and doesn't reflect Thor's true feelings about Loki.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #86
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

I'm thinking that kids (adopted and otherwise) won't be offended by the line unless they are taught that they should be offended by the line.

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)
====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #87
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Sometimes ignorance isn't bliss. Sometimes, ignorance is just ignorance. Willful ignorance is in a class by itself.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #88
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
I'm thinking that kids (adopted and otherwise) won't be offended by the line unless they are taught that they should be offended by the line.
Bingo.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #89
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
Then you need to think some more. Seriously.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #90
skater

Quote:

You know what IS amazing? That despite this controversy (minor or major from whomever's perspective) everyone seems to still agree that the movie WAS indeed good.

I can't wait to see it. Trying to find a time for all of us to go at the same time is the hold-up. We may have to see it separately .

Tags
adoption, avengers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: