Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #46
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran
 
LuvsDragonflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,755

I think you are reading waaaay too much into the statement. His saying Loki was adopted is the characters way of avoiding association with the things Loki is doing.

Adopted children are actually chosen by their parents (in that they choose to adopt a child, not that they may or may not get to specifically pick a certain child) , so should feel special in their own right. Stop giving children a reason to get all EMO over something so ridiculous.

All kids have "growing pains" and being adopted doesn't need to make their lives any more or less than any other child's, unless you go around giving them excuses to feel less than they are.

We don't even wait for kids to figure out what they want to cry about anymore, we have hand it to them on a silver platter?
__________________

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #47
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
So when a movie or Tv show makes a joke about being fat or a dumb blonde are you equaling outraged? As a parent I don't like anyone making fun of my child but if I can't summon outrage for every offensives "joke" than I deal with any fallout with my child on my own. I don't expect others to feel the same injustices I do. I save my public outrage for bigger issues than a slight to my child. How we as a family is what really matters to my child not what some silly cartoon characters think.

I don't think you can compare blonde jokes to being adopted. Try comparing race, sexual orientation - I think the comparison would make more sense.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #48
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

I have a lot more respect for the dissenting opinions by the adoptees and adopted parents. Those of you not closely involved with the life long process of adoption have no idea. You are entitled to your opinion, but its just not coming from the same place as those who have dealt with the crazy emotions involved in adoption.

My family will soon go to see Avengers, but I will probably discuss this line with my boys before we go. Its always better for them to address issues like this head on. Ignoring it or insisting that its just one line in a movie - or that being upset is "grasping at straws," won't make any feelings they might have go away.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #49
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
I think you are reading waaaay too much into the statement. His saying Loki was adopted is the characters way of avoiding association with the things Loki is doing.

Adopted children are actually chosen by their parents (in that they choose to adopt a child, not that they may or may not get to specifically pick a certain child) , so should feel special in their own right. Stop giving children a reason to get all EMO over something so ridiculous.

All kids have "growing pains" and being adopted doesn't need to make their lives any more or less than any other child's, unless you go around giving them excuses to feel less than they are.

We don't even wait for kids to figure out what they want to cry about anymore, we have hand it to them on a silver platter?

Nobody is giving children a reason to be emotional. And you deciding its ridiculous is your opinion. Your opinion won't change the little stab that my boys may feel about this line.

Being adopted adds issues to a child's life. Its not about excuses. Its there no matter what you or anyone else decides should happen. Denying that there are issues associated with adoption or that adoptees might feel a tad upset about a line in a movie, doesn't make it go away. Talking about it openly is what will help most kids.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #50
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran
 
LuvsDragonflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,755

Little stabs are a part of life, we all get them. Teach them how to deal with it rather than dwell on the unfairness of it all and you'll be doing them a favor.

As far as your statement that dumb blonde jokes don't compare, or fat jokes, or anything else that people use to make fun of other with, well...how can you possibly create such a stance of the stigma of adoption when you won't even deign that these matter too? Blonde children don't feel pain? Fat children aren't hurt by mean words?

All or nothing.
__________________

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #51
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
Little stabs are a part of life, we all get them. Teach them how to deal with it rather than dwell on the unfairness of it all and you'll be doing them a favor.

Teaching them how to deal with it is exactly what I'm doing. You're assuming that talking about it means dwelling on the unfairness. That's not what I'm doing. On the other hand, ignoring it or pretending that those feeling don't exist is NOT teaching them how to deal with it at all. I've seen what can happen to adopted kids in families where its not discussed.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #52
penn19
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anywhere but here
Posts: 1,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
Little stabs are a part of life, we all get them. Teach them how to deal with it rather than dwell on the unfairness of it all and you'll be doing them a favor.

As far as your statement that dumb blonde jokes don't compare, or fat jokes, or anything else that people use to make fun of other with, well...how can you possibly create such a stance of the stigma of adoption when you won't even deign that these matter too? Blonde children don't feel pain? Fat children aren't hurt by mean words?

All or nothing.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #53
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 12,043

Think of it this way: When everyone is told that Loki killed 80 people in two days, everyone looked at Thor like he was a freak to have a mass murderer as a biological brother.

The implication of THAT is that bad blood permeates a biological family.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran
 
LuvsDragonflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,755

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
Teaching them how to deal with it is exactly what I'm doing. You're assuming that talking about it means dwelling on the unfairness. That's not what I'm doing. On the other hand, ignoring it or pretending that those feeling don't exist is NOT teaching them how to deal with it at all. I've seen what can happen to adopted kids in families where its not discussed.
That's completely reasonable and a great way to treat it. However OP is just, IMHO, a little over the top lambasting the Walt Disney Company for this. I mean, really? How many Disney animated films have the mom dead or die? The dad? Are there not plenty of children around with one or more parents deceased? This is a pretty heavy subject to throw into a kids G cartoon, isn't it? Yet it happens, often. You learn to deal. You tell your kids, you know, Bambi's mom dies in this movie.

The movie is rated PG-13, so if you have younger children going, be aware that material may not be suitable for the minds or humor of younger children. You want G material, go to a G movie, kwim?
__________________

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #55
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Think of it this way: When everyone is told that Loki killed 80 people in two days, everyone looked at Thor like he was a freak to have a mass murderer as a biological brother.

The implication of THAT is that bad blood permeates a biological family.

Well, he's not really my brother. Well, his skin is a different color than mine. Well, his sexual orientation is different. He's different than me. When is it not okay?
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #56
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,623

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
That's completely reasonable and a great way to treat it. However OP is just, IMHO, a little over the top lambasting the Walt Disney Company for this. I mean, really? How many Disney animated films have the mom dead or die? The dad? Are there not plenty of children around with one or more parents deceased? This is a pretty heavy subject to throw into a kids G cartoon, isn't it? Yet it happens, often. You learn to deal. You tell your kids, you know, Bambi's mom dies in this movie.

The movie is rated PG-13, so if you have younger children going, be aware that material may not be suitable for the minds or humor of younger children. You want G material, go to a G movie, kwim?

While I don't totally agree, I hear what you're saying. I remember being upset with Disney about the parent murders . I used to say that kids love Disney, but Disney hates kids . That was when I had one sweet little 5 year old girl, and I thought I would protect her from everything. My perspective's a little different now.

I see your point about the movie rating. Still, I'm glad I have the warning so I can discuss it with my boys before we see the movie. As a parent of two adopted children, there's nothing like a stupid comment in a movie to hit you in the gut. Sometimes it can almost ruin a movie because I'm sitting there wondering what they're thinking. I imagine that people of minority races have dealt with these feelings in lots of situations.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #57
plutotek
DIS Veteran
 
plutotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 1,713

Oh, sweet jaysus!! All the sanctimony and outrage over a single line that most have taken out of context in a comic book movie. If it wasn't so pathetic, it might funny.
__________________
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
plutotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #58
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran
 
LuvsDragonflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,755

Yeah, but it's kind of everywhere. Blonde, Fat, Tall, Ugly, Adopted, Black, White, Asian...that and more all get stupid jokes. It might help to point that out?

People make stupid, possibly hurtful, jokes and laugh at just about anything they can find to needle someone about.

Just as a for instance, Americas Funniest Home Videos, I can't even count the number of times I've seen someone get possibly really hurt and it's played and laughed at like it's just the funniest thing ever. I'm sorry, but no, I do not think watching your two year old almost take his head off by riding his power wheel under the picnic table is a laugh riot.

Watching your dog try and take your face off? not funny to me.

Watching drunk granma dance on the table at the reception, have her knickers fall down and take a header off the table...still not funny...maybe a snicker...but holy hell grandma, did you make it out alive???

The brides head going up in flames from silly string and candles, nope not a single, solitary chuckle.

Yet people send these in and they go up for cash prizes.

We're just nuts as a entire species.
__________________

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #59
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII
 
CentralFloridian99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,867

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
The movie is rated PG-13, so if you have younger children going, be aware that material may not be suitable for the minds or humor of younger children. You want G material, go to a G movie, kwim?
This. It's annoying when parents bring young kids into PG-13 movies. It might not be suitable.
__________________
In search of a new signature, maybe even an avatar too.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #60
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
Oh, sweet jaysus!! All the sanctimony and outrage over a single line that most have taken out of context in a comic book movie. If it wasn't so pathetic, it might funny.
Exactly what I was thinking.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adoption, avengers



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: