Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #826
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

(Continued from Previous Post)

This lookout was about 30 minutes into the walk (and that was with us stopping lots for pictures, reading and rests). I suspected it was the half-way point.

It was incredibly green, and the plants were an indication to me that Hong Kong must be a very humid place.

This Indian Rubber Tree is straight out of the memories of my childhood! I remember playing underneath many of these in my youth.

At the 40 minute mark, we started to see signs of civilisation again. I was fooled into thinking that the end was near.

But we turned another corner and I realised we still had a bit more to go.

We had made it to Harlech Road.

The picnic area was well used.

As were the exercise stops along the way.

Somewhere in the distance is Lantau Island. I’d had a full day away from Disney so the pull wasn’t as strong as it had been the night before.

There is a pretty little waterfall feature along this road. I liked that the impatients were just blooming and adding their colour to the scene.

Are we there yet? Not quite and not long to go.

I guess this is the circuit we had walked.

It took us just a little over an hour to complete the walk, with loads of stops. We had a lot of fun on it and we were all glad to have done it. The views had been great and it was nice to see the greenery in Hong Kong.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #827
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Victoria Peak looks like a fun place to explore in the daytime. Nice family pic too.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #828
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I know you tried so hard to explain the train station, but I was still going . Directions and I do not do well together. When I was 16, I used to get lost driving home from work. My Dad waited nightly for my call. Thank goodness DH has a better sense of direction. The buildings are so beautiful there, and the Peak is like nothing I've ever seen. Glad you went back to see it in the daytime. The view from the trails is amazing.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #829
PrincessInOz
in

OT - seems like not so long ago, I posted my 30,000th post on this thread.

Where has the last 10,000 posts gone?????

40,000!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #830
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

You've only got 35000+ more posts then me!

We felt like we had so much time with 4 days in HK but I'm so envious of the extra time you had! We saw pretty much everything but we did rush through - we had lunch and a quick look at the view at the Peak. We certainly didn't have time to explore like you did.

I so hear you on the exits of the MTR stations! We got lost so many times! The only time it really bothered us was at the end of the day when we were exhausted after a full day sightseeing.
ehsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #831
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

LOVING the TR

DBF has just agreed to doing 2 trips up the Peak - 1 for the daytime view and 1 for the night time view....we have the time so why not
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #832
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

Ok - slightly off topic but still HK related....reading one of our (many) guidebooks last night, I came across a "dress-code" section...Now, DBF and I are pretty good with knowing what to wear where and when. We were thinking our casual touring clothes for HK would be a mix of shorts / jeans / 3/4 length linen casual trousers, t-shirts, light jackets/fleeces, trainers and flip flops. All dependant on the weather - but from what I read/hear - the weather will be pleasant and warm, low humidity and rain when we're there. My query is for footwear - one of the guidebooks say that while sandals are ok - flip flops are frowned upon in HK. Is this true? My animal swish flip flops are incredibly comfy and are technically my "sandal" - I have never ever found sandals comfy

Any advice you can offer on this? Are flip-flops a no go? I have lovely "dressy" flat shoes for places like the peninsula when we go for afternoon tea, but would not be able to wear for long peoriods of wear like touring the city etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #833
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

You only have a few thousand more posts than me!!!! Congrats on 40K

I will also add that the DC/NoVA/MD metro system does not have toilets either... just for future reference.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #834
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Catching up today from you leaving HKDL. It all looks very interesting. I noticed your view with the first picture - thinking "How did they swing that?".

I hope there's more to do in HK than ride up and down the peak tram, though! If so, no wonder you thought the trip was too long. Enjoying the pictures though. I have to say HK is fairly low down my priority travel list, so this may well be the closest I ever come.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #835
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Congrats on 40k.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #836
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Wow 40K!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #837
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #838
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

The peak looks very interesting, how high up is it? I panic with heights. But I love all the greenery. I wont make it to HK, so I will live it through you. But it is interesting to see the difference from day and night. I love those little bottles. It sounds so good to eat. Hope you still made some shopping trips for yourself. Keep it coming!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #839
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Victoria Peak looks like a fun place to explore in the daytime. Nice family pic too.
There was a longer walk to a reservoir that we decided not to do. I gather that its also a scenic walk. We had fun there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I know you tried so hard to explain the train station, but I was still going . Directions and I do not do well together. When I was 16, I used to get lost driving home from work. My Dad waited nightly for my call. Thank goodness DH has a better sense of direction. The buildings are so beautiful there, and the Peak is like nothing I've ever seen. Glad you went back to see it in the daytime. The view from the trails is amazing.
I prefer holidays where there is more open space and country; rather than just city. I was glad that we went there as it gave me some space away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
You've only got 35000+ more posts then me!

We felt like we had so much time with 4 days in HK but I'm so envious of the extra time you had! We saw pretty much everything but we did rush through - we had lunch and a quick look at the view at the Peak. We certainly didn't have time to explore like you did.

I so hear you on the exits of the MTR stations! We got lost so many times! The only time it really bothered us was at the end of the day when we were exhausted after a full day sightseeing.
I think 6 days is about right for Hong Kong city (and then add Disney time). You get to see everything without rushing about too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
LOVING the TR

DBF has just agreed to doing 2 trips up the Peak - 1 for the daytime view and 1 for the night time view....we have the time so why not
You could go early afternoon, walk, have dinner and then go up the Tower at night. But if you have time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
Ok - slightly off topic but still HK related....reading one of our (many) guidebooks last night, I came across a "dress-code" section...Now, DBF and I are pretty good with knowing what to wear where and when. We were thinking our casual touring clothes for HK would be a mix of shorts / jeans / 3/4 length linen casual trousers, t-shirts, light jackets/fleeces, trainers and flip flops. All dependant on the weather - but from what I read/hear - the weather will be pleasant and warm, low humidity and rain when we're there. My query is for footwear - one of the guidebooks say that while sandals are ok - flip flops are frowned upon in HK. Is this true? My animal swish flip flops are incredibly comfy and are technically my "sandal" - I have never ever found sandals comfy

Any advice you can offer on this? Are flip-flops a no go? I have lovely "dressy" flat shoes for places like the peninsula when we go for afternoon tea, but would not be able to wear for long peoriods of wear like touring the city etc.
I didn't see anyone wearing flip-flops, except for around the pool. Most people had shoes or sandals. Although.....DS wore crocs after his shoes got soaked; but I don't think crocs count as flip flops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
You only have a few thousand more posts than me!!!! Congrats on 40K

I will also add that the DC/NoVA/MD metro system does not have toilets either... just for future reference.
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Catching up today from you leaving HKDL. It all looks very interesting. I noticed your view with the first picture - thinking "How did they swing that?".

I hope there's more to do in HK than ride up and down the peak tram, though! If so, no wonder you thought the trip was too long. Enjoying the pictures though. I have to say HK is fairly low down my priority travel list, so this may well be the closest I ever come.
You are reading my mind!....but I'll get to that in my next set of posts.

And its taken me over 40 years for HK to get up my priority travel list. I have to say that from Australia, HK is pretty easy to get to and relatively cheap c.f. heading to the US or Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
The peak looks very interesting, how high up is it? I panic with heights. But I love all the greenery. I wont make it to HK, so I will live it through you. But it is interesting to see the difference from day and night. I love those little bottles. It sounds so good to eat. Hope you still made some shopping trips for yourself. Keep it coming!
The top of the peak is over 500 m high. The observation deck of the Tower is 428 m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Congrats on 40k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Wow 40K!
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #840
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
(Continued from Previous Post)

[By this stage, DH had come back with information and advice from Information Services. He had decided that we should take a walk around the Peak.

I just love it when he finds out stuff that I already know.)
He needs some more lessons! 30 years of togetherness and finally-my DH figures I have the answer
and gets all disconcerted when my research sometimes fails me-"why didn't you know this" he wails.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: