Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

 
Doug7856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SSR
Posts: 1,809

Disney, Adoption and The Avengers...

I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
__________________
Doug
Doug7856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid
 
Shyvioletisme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Earth
Posts: 1,903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
You're reading too much into it.
__________________
Tiffany DH Lestat

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,321

This is a subject that rears up regularly on the adoption board I frequent. The parents are very sensitive to adoption references and there are plenty of "this sends the wrong message" opinions.

Personally, I feel that my own opinions or worries influence how I perceive a situation. Sometimes I read more into it because of my past experiences. As far as adoption, I guess I don't pay as much attention unless someone is making an effort to be insulting...which has never happened to me. I have some relatives who, I feel, see me as a long term babysitter I'm sure that's not quite what they think, though!

You have your perceptions. I'm not going to try to say you misinterpreted it since I wasn't there and haven't seen the movie yet. However, I tend to doubt people were laughing at the notion of adoption.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,364

My son tells his sister all the time that she is adopted because he does not want to be related to her. You can definitively see the resemblance.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
You are reading way too much into that comment.

Have you seen the Thor movie itself? If you have, then you would have a better understanding of the comment.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,821

Grasping at straws.

The discussion between the characters was about how dangerous the ASGARDIANS as a whole are, as evidenced by the atrocities of Loki. To which Thor defends the honor of the rest of Asgard by joking "he's adopted" meaning, Asgardians are not evil violent people.

You know that evil people can be adopted too right?
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit
 
diznygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 10,547

There's a lot more going on to be offended about.
__________________
diznygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....
 
Kim&Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I took my son to see The Avengers on Saturday. In one key scene, as the Avengers are assembled they review the evil committed by Loki. Thor confronts the rest of the Avengers because Loki is his brother. When the Avengers list the atrocities he has committed, Thor volunteers that ďLoki was adoptedĒ. It got quite a laugh from the audience, yet it implies that an adopted sibling is less family than biological children.

Children donít need to be told they are inferior or defective or less of a family member because they were adopted, especially from someone as trusted as the Walt Disney Company. There are 73.8 million children who are a part of families created through adoption. Itís odd that Disney would choose to send a message that adopted children are less part of a family than biological children, but in my opinion, thatís exactly what happens in The Avengers.

The movie was excellent and I donít regret taking my son to see it. I just thought we had moved beyond these stereotypes about adoption.

This is my point of view as the father of adopted children.

Did this scene bother anyone else?
I think you may be reading too much into it. Did you see Thor? If not, you may want to take a look, so you'd better understand the comment made by Thor regarding Loki's situation.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

 
Doug7856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SSR
Posts: 1,809

I did see both The Avengers and Thor. both very good movies. In "Thor" there was not a connection to Loki's actions and his adoption. I have no problem with that presentation.

I do have a problem with adoption presented as the reason: "Loki's adopted". It's a reason for the evil aspect of the character. It's the thought that "He's not really my brother, he's adopted" that I object to. Families created through adoption are no less family.

Your comments are appreciate and no doubt I'm sensitive to how adoption is presented to my children and the cultural acceptance of adoption in general.
__________________
Doug
Doug7856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I did see both The Avengers and Thor. both very good movies. In "Thor" there was not a connection to Loki's actions and his adoption. I have no problem with that presentation.

I do have a problem with adoption presented as the reason: "Loki's adopted". It's a reason for the evil aspect of the character. It's the thought that "He's not really my brother, he's adopted" that I object to. Families created through adoption are no less family.

Your comments are appreciate and no doubt I'm sensitive to how adoption is presented to my children and the cultural acceptance of adoption in general.
Then you patently misunderstood the dialogue. Sorry. No controversy here. He was not painted as being evil because he was adopted. His adoption is mentioned to counter the accusation that all people from Asgard are dangerous, violent and evil, like Loki. BTW, Loki's IS actually a member of a violent and dangerous race. Looks like, IN THIS FICTITIOUS WORLD, nature wins out over nurture.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug7856 View Post
I did see both The Avengers and Thor. both very good movies. In "Thor" there was not a connection to Loki's actions and his adoption. I have no problem with that presentation.

I do have a problem with adoption presented as the reason: "Loki's adopted". It's a reason for the evil aspect of the character. It's the thought that "He's not really my brother, he's adopted" that I object to. Families created through adoption are no less family.

Your comments are appreciate and no doubt I'm sensitive to how adoption is presented to my children and the cultural acceptance of adoption in general.
I don't agree with your conclusion that the fact he's adopted is presented as the reason for his evil nature. As the poster pointed out, the characters were stereotyping the Asgardians based on the behavior of one person. It was then pointed out that he was not, in fact, a product of that line. Also, Thor continued to be bonded to his brother despite betrayal (in "Thor"). The bonds of family were still held dear to him, whether it was blood or not. His love was constant, but he was held accountable to his duty to prevent his brother from causing harm.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
I don't agree with your conclusion that the fact he's adopted is presented as the reason for his evil nature. As the poster pointed out, the characters were stereotyping the Asgardians based on the behavior of one person. It was then pointed out that he was not, in fact, a product of that line. Also, Thor continued to be bonded to his brother despite betrayal (in "Thor"). The bonds of family were still held dear to him, whether it was blood or not. His love was constant, but he was held accountable to his duty to prevent his brother from causing harm.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

 
Doug7856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SSR
Posts: 1,809

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
I don't agree with your conclusion that the fact he's adopted is presented as the reason for his evil nature. As the poster pointed out, the characters were stereotyping the Asgardians based on the behavior of one person. It was then pointed out that he was not, in fact, a product of that line. Also, Thor continued to be bonded to his brother despite betrayal (in "Thor"). The bonds of family were still held dear to him, whether it was blood or not. His love was constant, but he was held accountable to his duty to prevent his brother from causing harm.
I see your point of view and prefer your interpretation.
__________________
Doug
Doug7856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,123

I saw the movie and thought the joke was funny. However, while I was laughing it did cross my mind that some adopted children or their parents might not find it funny.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII
 
CentralFloridian99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,867

The whole theater laughed at that scene, I just chuckled. I think Thor was just putting that out to the Avengers, but I can see why it could bother parents.
__________________
In search of a new signature, maybe even an avatar too.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adoption, avengers



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: