Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Awesome Day at Discovery Cove

Hi there,

I just wanted to post a quick review on the wonderful day my family spent at Discovery Cove this March! Just a quick preface - it was my first time in this park (though I have been to Sea World before), and I am a Disney girl who is often reluctant to go off Disney property for any reason at all. I also am not afraid to spend money in Orlando, but even I was balking at the high prices for Discovery Cove. After reading so many positive reviews, I decided to just go for it, and I booked the Dolphin Swim as well as our admission to the park. It was myself, my husband and our two boys ages 11 and 9.

From the minute we pulled up in our vehicle, the Discovery Cove employees were so professional and so friendly! All smiles and big welcomes for us, which was so nice. That level of professionalism continued throughout our day. The day was awesome. The dolphin swim was so wonderful, and something we have never done before. I was worried my kids would be a little scared, especially my one son who is not the strongest swimmer. Not at all! They both absolutely loved it.

The Grand Reef snorkel area surpassed my expectations by a lot! I thought we would see some fish, but who would have guessed we would see thousands and thousands of fish in all the beautiful colors. And the stingrays - they were HUGE! My kids literally swam with the stingrays, touching them as they swam. We also loved the eels and sharks that were behind glass, but appeared as though they were with us in the reef. We were so very impressed with the Grand Reef area!

The lazy river was fun, too. For me, it couldn't beat the other areas, but my kids sure enjoyed getting out and feeding all the birds in the aviary. It was really neat, and I have to say SO impeccably clean. Very relaxing and very enjoyable.

The food was good and plentiful throughout the day. We didn't drink any alcohol, but I understand it was included. My kids liked the slushy machines a lot. For anyone who has been to Disney's Castaway Cay island, this place honestly reminded me a lot of it. I feel that's almost blasphemy to say that, being the Disney fan I am, but truly it felt a lot like the Disney island to me. It was like we were actually in the Bahamas while at Discovery Cove. My kids also had fun building sand castles and we had the best, most relaxing, enjoyable day.

I would agree with previous advice to book this in the middle of your week in Orlando. It was a great relaxing break from the parks mid-week. I will definitely return to Discovery Cove in the future. Yes it was very expensive, but it was wonderful. I don't regret the money spent there for the awesome time we had!
December 2009: 4 Night Bahamian (New Years Eve) Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
July 2010: 12 Night Northern European Capitals Cruise (Baltic) aboard the Disney Magic
July 2011: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
March 2014: 3 Night Bahamian Cruise aboard the Disney Dream

Too many WDW trips to count, and several Disneyland California trips.
One amazing trip to Disneyland Paris!
D23's Journey to Marceline, MO - March 2012
5 awesome nights at Aulani - June/July 2014

Best trip ever...Adventures By Disney Australia in 2008.
2littlestitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
mrsltg
The TF wishes you happier days ahead!
Seriously - you may as well drip dry as try to get by with one square!
Miss Sneaker Pants

Thanks for your review! I just booked a day at Discovery Cove for my family. We've been going to WDW regularly for 10 years, but have never made it to DC - I am so excited! It's going to be a surprise for our middle dds birthday, and she is going to flip!

Question- are you assigned a dolphin swim time when you arrive? And, what time can you arrive?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltg View Post
Thanks for your review! I just booked a day at Discovery Cove for my family. We've been going to WDW regularly for 10 years, but have never made it to DC - I am so excited! It's going to be a surprise for our middle dds birthday, and she is going to flip!

Question- are you assigned a dolphin swim time when you arrive? And, what time can you arrive?
Yes, they assign you a dolphin swim time at check-in. I followed the advice of others to get there at 8:00 for checking in. This was great, because it takes awhile to get your snorkel gear, lockers, etc. We had the first dolphin swim of the day, which was also great because we could relax and take our time for the rest of the day instead of worrying about being somewhere at a certain time. Actually, I believe we were pulling into the parking lot at around 7:45 am, and we were not even the first family there. So, aim for being there around 8:00.
December 2009: 4 Night Bahamian (New Years Eve) Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
July 2010: 12 Night Northern European Capitals Cruise (Baltic) aboard the Disney Magic
July 2011: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
March 2014: 3 Night Bahamian Cruise aboard the Disney Dream

Too many WDW trips to count, and several Disneyland California trips.
One amazing trip to Disneyland Paris!
D23's Journey to Marceline, MO - March 2012
5 awesome nights at Aulani - June/July 2014

Best trip ever...Adventures By Disney Australia in 2008.
2littlestitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
mrsltg
The TF wishes you happier days ahead!
Seriously - you may as well drip dry as try to get by with one square!
Miss Sneaker Pants

Thank you!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Lorix2
Pixie and Dylan's mom
You can only get so creative with green beans
Loves when things work out just right

So glad you had such a wonderful time!

Before we went there in 2005, my kids were excited but my DH complained he didn't want to spend that much money just to "swim with some fish".

Wouldn't you know he had the kids high five me for booking this park and we had such a great day! It's worth every penny for it's offerings and the memories are priceless.
Dolphin & Marriott Grande Vista April 2005
Marriott Grande Vista - April 2003
Sheraton Vistana Villages - April 2002
Lorix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
ETHANSMOMMA
Earning My Ears

also went in March

We went 3/29/12 and also had the MOST amazing time! I wasn't sure at first, spending all that money but it was truly an awesome experience!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2littlestitches View Post
Yes, they assign you a dolphin swim time at check-in. I followed the advice of others to get there at 8:00 for checking in. This was great, because it takes awhile to get your snorkel gear, lockers, etc. We had the first dolphin swim of the day, which was also great because we could relax and take our time for the rest of the day instead of worrying about being somewhere at a certain time. Actually, I believe we were pulling into the parking lot at around 7:45 am, and we were not even the first family there. So, aim for being there around 8:00.

What time was the first swim of the day? I just booked our DC day for our trip in August. Also, did you do the wetsuits or the vests. I lean toward the vests, although I know I'm going to hate either. Do you have to wear them in the lazy river and in the swimming pool area too?

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
greenclan67
Callie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
What time was the first swim of the day? I just booked our DC day for our trip in August. Also, did you do the wetsuits or the vests. I lean toward the vests, although I know I'm going to hate either. Do you have to wear them in the lazy river and in the swimming pool area too?
HI there, I like the vests compared to the wet suits, but probably because I am constantly running to the bathroom! So it is far easier, and wearing a two piece bathing suit also helps!! I also hate eithier. Just make sure you get one that is a little more snug compared to loose, because if they ride up, they will chaff you under the arms, and then they hurt!
Yes you have to wear them in the lazy river, but we took them off in the swimming area!

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenclan67 View Post
HI there, I like the vests compared to the wet suits, but probably because I am constantly running to the bathroom! So it is far easier, and wearing a two piece bathing suit also helps!! I also hate eithier. Just make sure you get one that is a little more snug compared to loose, because if they ride up, they will chaff you under the arms, and then they hurt!
Yes you have to wear them in the lazy river, but we took them off in the swimming area!

Thanks for the info. I think I may bring us all rash guards to wear under the vests just in case.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
scootch
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great time. We have done alot of traveling and it is truly on the tops of our list as the greatest vacation day every.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
gymboqueenkaylee
Mouseketeer

thanks for sharing your experience. we are comtemplating taking DD next month while we are there. Thanks for all the tips too!

DisneyWorld Oct 2013...Baby B's first time! Whooo
gymboqueenkaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

That's great you had a good time! We loved it too- although it was very expensive and we probably will not do it again. Oh my goodness, those stingrays are HUGE! I know what you mean about the Grand Reef- the fish are so beautiful and colourful.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
jdragr
Mouseketeer

Did you rent a cabana? We will be there May 29th and I am thinking this will be a once in a lifetime thing for us.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
jdragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdragr View Post
Did you rent a cabana? We will be there May 29th and I am thinking this will be a once in a lifetime thing for us.
Hi Andrea,

This recent thread might help you:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2923522

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
jdragr
Mouseketeer

Thanks that did help. The only thing I didn't understand is what someone meant by getting a package. Can you shed any light on that? Thanks!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
jdragr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: