Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
sunnycali
Earning My Ears

Disneyland Vet. recommendation for WDW

Hello everyone,

Im new to the board but not new to the magic of Disney. Im taking my family for this first time to Walt Disney World in about a month. I would like some recommendation on what attraction we should plan to see. I know Disneyland in CA pretty well. We go about 12x a year. I know some attraction at Disneyland they have at Disneyworld. What attractions or park should I plan to go that we can experience the differnce from WDW to Disneyland? We will be in WDW for 4 days. Thanks for suggestions
sunnycali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
dworldlovers
Mouseketeer

You can see quite a lot in 4 days!! Will you have the park-hopper option with your tickets? (can visit more than one park a day) Animal Kingdom and EPCOT are parks that are different than DisneyLand. Magic Kingdom is like your DL, but on a much grander scale. I've heard from a Disney CM that you can put Disneyland in the parking lot at Magic Kingdom and still park 500 cars!! Hollywood Studios is also a great park and has some very cool attractions/rides. Enjoy your trip!! I'm sure you'll love Disney World!!
dworldlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
KatieRach
Mouseketeer

You will have a great time! While MK is similar to DL, even some of the attractions that are at both parks vary just a bit. Additionally, MK at Disney World has many more attractions. I would recommend planning on at least a day or more at EPCOT. World Showcase is amazing and I really enjoy several of the attractions in Future World (especially The Land and The Living Seas). While some feel it is only a half-day park, I also enjoy Animal Kindgom. The Festival of the Lion King show is great!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
sndral
DIS Veteran

WDW is around 23 resorts and 4 parks spread out, and a very different experience than DL. It is huge, to get from park to park you have to bus or drive. There are 3 monorail lines. 2 run from the Magic Kingdom to the transportation and ticket center (TTC) one stops at the monorail resorts, the other doesn't. And the Epcot monorail which runs from the TTC to Epcot. Unlike Disneyland, the monorails do not stop inside the parks.

Since you know DL so well, I'd not spend much time in the Magic Kingdom (MK.) as it's very like DL (except no Matterhorn, submarines or Indianna Jones.) The rides and lines are a bit different, and it's fun to compare the two if you have the time - but w/ only 4 days, you don't. The night time fireworks show (wishes) is @ Cinderella's castle, which btw is a lot bigger than Sleeping Beauty's Castle and you can eat in Cinderella's castle in WDW. Some of the DL rides are elsewhere in WDW. I honestly don't feel that MK is any bigger than the original DL when I visit/walk each, and I've been to DL probably 30+ times and WDW 8 times, but MK is physically just over 100 acres v. DL's 80+ acres.
here's a dated article comparing the two
http://allears.net/dlr/tp/dl/dlmk.htm

Animal Kingdom (AK) is the newest park and it might work well w/ a day there and spend the night @ MK as it closes around 6. The dinosaur ride is on the same track as Indy, but it is a totally different theme - much darker, IMO. Likewise Kali river rapids is much like Grizzly river in California Adventure, but a different theme. Kilimanjaro safari & expedition Everest are 2 rides unlike anything in Ca. There are the Lion king, finding Nemo and It's tough to be a bug shows, flights of wonder which is a short show w/ live birds, and 2 short walking trails (to see Gorillas or Tigers/bats) and the train to the husbandry type display.

Disney Hollywood studios (DHS) has a lot of California attractions as well - Star tours, the Tower of terror, Toy story mania (fast pass early - long line) the Fantasmic show (bleacher/stadium seating fireworks show, not every night - so plan your DHS day for a fantasmic night - very different, IMO, than DL's version,) but also a lot that Ca. doesn't have, like an Indy stage show, a stunt car show, beauty & the Beast show, several other shows, the rock in roller coaster (I'm not a big roller coaster fan, and I seem to remember this being in DL, but maybe I'm confusing it w/ space mt.) and the studio backlot tour, the great movie ride, etc..

Epcot is the most different park, IMO. First, it's huge. There are some items in CA - Soarin', Turtle talk w/ Crush, Captain EO but there's lots not in CA - The seas w/ Nemo ride, test track ride, mission space ride, Ellen's energy adventure ride, the boat ride in Mexico (sort of like a Mexico themed it's a small world,) Maelstrom in Norway (a short fun boat ride w/ a small plunge) spaceship earth ride (in the Giant golf ball) journey into imagination. Then there are the Countries w/ performers, movies in the round, shops and restaurants. The night time fireworks show is illuminations and is a can't miss, IMO. I love Epcot and it's very different, IMO, than anything in CA.

Downtown Disney (DTD) is also very different, w/ Cirque du Soleil, Disney Quest and I won't even discuss the waterparks.

There's a section here on DIS devoted to attractions for lots of info. on the rides.
If you share where you are staying, and what you want dinning wise (I find WDW to be great w/ dinning options v. not so many in DL) we can probably tailor our answers to suit your stay better - w/ only 4 days you can only skim the surface, but it'll be a blast for Disney addicts like you obviously are.

Oh, and beware, least you fall in love w/ WDW, like I did - it's a bit of a jaunt for us west coast types. plus there's that whole time change thing, and I find that I need 10ish days to really get my Disney fix these days

Last edited by sndral; 05-02-2012 at 11:39 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Missymouse18
Mousketeer

Welcome! so excited for you and your family. I definitely suggest Animal Kingdom and Epcot. And if you have to narrow it down between these two, then absolutely DO NOT miss out on Epcot - it is an experience you and your family will never forget! Have a magical time and please post a report when you get back and let us hear all about it!!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
msheriffm
Mouseketeer

Thank you sndral for all the information. I too am a DL person (CA girl) and am taking my family to WDW in July. My DH and I went 20 years ago but I am sure things have changed plus half of my memory left after having children (HA). One thing I heard that MK has is the Bear Jamborie which I am excited to show my kids (a favorite of mine as a kid). I appreciated the break down of what is new for us DL people. I was also thinking AK had only a few things so was surprised to see how many things there are to do. I am glad I planned breakfast at the Tusker House. Lion King is a family favorite so I am really excited to see the show. This will be our one and only WDW visit as a family (my girls are 12 and 14) there are so many places I want them to see. Maybe a Disney cruise to Alaska next year. Anyway I splurged and we are staying at the Beach Club. I wanted to stay near Epcot and I heard the pool is great (I did not purchase the waterparks, can do that at home). I made reservations at the following TB restaurants: Le Cellar (L), 1900 Faire (D), Sci Fi (D), Biergarten (D), Garden Grille (D), Captain's Grille (D), Whispering Canyon (D). Thank you for any more insights you might have.
msheriffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Im a west coaster and always went to DL. Now that I've been to WDW theres no way we would do DL anymore. You will love WDW. Epcot is awesome!

Have fun!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
erinscreen
Mouseketeer

Agreed with PPs. I grew up on Disneyland and didn't get to WDW until I was in college. Epcot is truly the park that makes the big difference to me and the reason I continue to make WDW a big part of my travel instead of DL. Plus, you have Universal and Sea World MUCH closer than at DL (since Universal is clear on the other side of LA and Sea World is in San Diego--plus these attractions are much bigger and better than in California).

One of my favorite places in DL to dine is Blue Bayou, but as an alternative at WDW, try Biergarten in the Germany pavilion in Epcot. It is a "dark" indoor restaurant that mimicks being outside during Oktoberfest.

Also, if you make it to MK, be sure to try out Pirates of Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion as they are pretty different from their DL counterparts. PoC is MUCH shorter at MK, but the queue area is much bigger and has lots of things to look at.

Last edited by erinscreen; 05-03-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added more info
erinscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
helpmejenny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinscreen View Post
Agreed with PPs. I grew up on Disneyland and didn't get to WDW until I was in college. Epcot is truly the park that makes the big difference to me and the reason I continue to make WDW a big part of my travel instead of DL. Plus, you have Universal and Sea World MUCH closer than at DL (since Universal is clear on the other side of LA and Sea World is in San Diego--plus these attractions are much bigger and better than in California).

One of my favorite places in DL to dine is Blue Bayou, but as an alternative at WDW, try Biergarten in the Germany pavilion in Epcot. It is a "dark" indoor restaurant that mimicks being outside during Oktoberfest.

Also, if you make it to MK, be sure to try out Pirates of Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion as they are pretty different from their DL counterparts. PoC is MUCH shorter at MK, but the queue area is much bigger and has lots of things to look at.
What are these Universal and Sea World parks of which you speak?
helpmejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
DisneylandDad
Mouseketeer

We too are Disneyland vets and went for a first family trip to WDW last Fall (my wife had been there but not me nor the kids). My kids are begging to go back--they enjoyed it so much more than Disneyland! I would focus on Epcot and AK as those are the most different parks from Disneyland. HS has some rides that Disneyland has (tower of terror, etc.) but it has some shows that Disneyland does NOT have--so we focused on those. Have a great trip!
DisneylandDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
sunnycali
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the great info and advice. I will have a hopper ticket so I will be taking advantage of it. I think spending the majority of time at the other parks besides MK is the way to go. I believe a half day at MK will suffice. I will report back with my experiences as WDW first timer. Thanks again.
sunnycali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Sounds like a plan. My wife and I spend a lot of time at DL and DCA, and we honeymooned at WDW in 2007 and loved it.

One surprising thing for us is that MK was not our favorite park, because it just felt weird being so similar to Disneyland, but yet different. It kind of felt like things that were different were in the wrong place. The size was impressive though. MK is huge, and the amount of space that Disney has in Florida is awesome. We couldn't believe how far apart the different parks actually are. Quite a change from walking between them in CA.

We absolutely love Epcot and couldn't spend enough time there. Animal Kingdom is awesome too and we are looking forward to more time there on our next trip. DHS reminded us of parts of DCA, but the differencess were neat too.

Other posts on the DIS boards refer to the "reverse boomerang" effect of at first not liking the differences between the FL and CA parks, and then coming to appreciate them to the point that you can't wait to do both. We sure fit that category, and spend time at Disneyland talking about how we can't wait to return to WDW.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Subbing to try to remember everyone's great advice.

Sndral, your post in particular was an awesome intro for DLR vets going to WDW.

We'll be heading to Florida for the first time in over 20 years this December, staying at BLT the first week and BWV the second (5 nights each with a cruise in the middle). Still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of highways inside my Disney "bubble". Because we'll be staying at BLT and have the MK right there (and a 4, 5, and 6 year old in our party) we'll probably end up spending at least a full day there though I'd like to focus more on Epcot and AK, then DHS with the Osborne lights we also expect to be amazing.

If anybody wants to write more primers for a DLR vet, feel free to drop in on my PTR in my sig!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: