Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPack View Post
Man, that would have been worth it to just park at DTD and ride the bus to the S&D. Or take your hotel bus to one of the parks and grab a bus to the S&D from the main hub. You can do that...right?
If it were me, I would plan to eat at Garden Grove on an Epcot day and walk their through the International Gateway.

Another way to save is to get an Annual Pass (if that works for your family) and get a Tables in Wonderland which entitles you to free Valet when patronizing a TiW restaurant.

As Lynne M. said, I would not get on a bus in DTD.

suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member

Paying for parking at hotels is the rule rather than the exception at almost any resort in a city or popular destination. At Universal's resorts it is $22 for self park and $29 for valet, I think. I agree that it stinks, but is hard to avoid. In L.A. where I live, it is standard to pay $25-30 per night for hotel parking, and in San Francisco daily parking fees of $40-$50 are pretty standard.

If the Swan/Dolphin are $169 per night as you can often find, vs. $369 per night at adjacent, comparable resorts such as the Boardwalk or Beach Club, then $15 for parking is not a huge deal, but I agree that the restaurants should validate and at least reduce the cost down to half price or something.

To the poster who said that business should be "legally required" to provide free parking... why? I am not sure where that slippery slope stops. I am not sure why business should be legally required to provide anything for free. They exist to make money, they are not a subsidized service. In many cases businesses, including hotels, do not own the parking lots that people might park in, those lots often are privately and separately owned and are for-profit business. Hotels and other business have to pay security guards and other employees to operate the lot, which is a cost that is being passed along. But obviously some hotels have turned not only parking, but other services into profit centers. Should a hotel be legally required to provide things like internet free of charge because you are staying there? It is nice if they do, but do we really want to have laws preventing them from charging what they want? In our economy its supply and demand. if nobody was willing to pay the parking fee and business was dropping off as a result, the parking fee would go away.
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

It would be any easy thing for the resorts to have free parking for their guest, just put in the toll arm thingy that are at the other resorts. Use your room key to get in and out like at the other resorts. I haven't traveled alot, scared of flying (not of flying just falling a very long way), anyway, in Jax FL, and surrounding cities we don't have a lot of paid parking anywhere. Yeah there are some parking garages, and meters but those are down town, other than that there is free parking everywhere. So it's pretty strange for me to pay to park anywhere, much less where I'm going to spend money or stay at.

I couldn't bring myself to pay $15 to go eat dinner somewhere.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I look at it as a total amount paid. Did the $15 parking fee make the meal more than it would have been at a WDW buffet? If not, you still got a good deal. (I really don't know, because we've never eaten at GG.) The restaurants & hotels are going to get your money one way or the other. It amazes me that people think Disney gives anyone free parking or free internet. Have you check the rates of these hotels? The cost is included in the room rate. If I can stay at S/D & pay the fees for less than staying at a Disney Epcot resort, I'm still getting a great deal. People want to eat or stay cheaper + get everything else for free. That wouldn't make sense for any business. Do the math. If you add the extras & still paid less, you got a better deal.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegSmethurst View Post
So the story begins with an ADR made for Garden Grove at Disney's Swan Resort. As you can guess from the title, I was not happy about the parking fees. Now, keep in mind that we don't bat an eye paying $14 everyday to park at the parks. I know that it's something that comes with staying offsite and we really like that we can park at any of the 4 Disney sites.

Well we get to the Swan resort and see that the parking cost is $15! There's no hourly fee, no 2 hour grace period for dining. I understand that they don't want guests parking in the resort parking lots and hopping on the WDW busses. I would not do that and am not encouraging that. But really, after paying to park in the park lots I have to pay again?? Really??

Well, I tried to enjoy my meal and forget about it. I mean, what could I do? I was able to move past it until we got in our car to pay the fee and leave the lot. "15.98" says the parking attendant. WHAT?? YOU CHARGE TAXES ON THE CRAZY OVERPRICED PARKING FEES?? WHAT??

I don't think there is anything I can do about this. I know there's no point in staying mad. But I honestly can tell you I will never stay at the swan or dolphin resort. Never. we had a delicious meal at Whispering Canyon Cafe and didn't pay a time. Just wanted to share my frustrations with the people that might just get it.
I never knew they charged a parking fee so I am glad you posted this. We always rent a car and stay on Disney property.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
joncorr3
Mouseketeer

I'm glaD i SAw this thread too. I was planning to go to Kimono's in 2 weeks, not I'm not sure it's worth it. There's no way I'm pay $15 to park and eat.
How far is the walk from BC or BW?
joncorr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Here is the thing... the information is there. They don't hide that there is a parking fee for staying or eating there. They are up front that it exists. So, it's not really the hotels fault that people are surprised about it. It really is up to the consumer to do their homework, especially when that homework is pretty easy to do.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I agree that the restaurants should validate but as long as the resort informs guests know there is a parking fee, the resort should be free to charge it.

Staying at the Dolphin for the first time in June. Our stay at the Dolphin will be $15 more than a comparable stay at POR, including the resort fee, the parking fee and the cost for one in the party to get a shuttle from the airport. Disney resorts technically do not charge for any of these things but it is obviously included in the room price.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Here is the thing... the information is there. They don't hide that there is a parking fee for staying or eating there. They are up front that it exists. So, it's not really the hotels fault that people are surprised about it. It really is up to the consumer to do their homework, especially when that homework is pretty easy to do.
Agree, you are given the info so you can plan for it, i appreciate that they are clear about it. In our case, the times we go to the Swan and Dolphin are on Epcot Park or DHS days. Short walk or boat from the International Gateway or DHS. No extra parking cost at all. With a little bit of planning there is no need to park at S&D at all if you aren't staying there.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Disnut4925
Mouseketeer

Il Mulino is another resaurant that validates - it might be worth checking with whichever place one is going to..
Disnut4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #26
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
You can be frustrated by the fee, but you also need to be frustrated with yourself if you didn't read the policies they put right in front of you when you make your ADRs. I think we maybe feel it is all blah blah blah, but sometimes there is info you need to know in all of that wordage!

Last edited by maxiesmom; 05-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
rznhal
DIS Veteran

I agree with pp......walk from dhs......it's a gorgeous walk!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
While the information is on the disney site which is great for folks to be informed, Its not on the swan and dolphin restaurant site. At least I couldnt find it if its there. And I obviously cant speak for anyone but myself, but I prefer to browse the restaurant site if available over the disney site for the simple fact that it would have the most up to date menu.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #29
MegSmethurst
Mouseketeer

I think what got me the most was charging taxes on the parking. I could have done more research but even if I had, I still would have been ticked to pay so much for only an hour or so...

Last edited by MegSmethurst; 11-19-2012 at 12:32 AM.
MegSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #30
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I never knew they charged a parking fee so I am glad you posted this. We always rent a car and stay on Disney property.
Same! We won't ever bother to eat there unless it's at Bluezoo! Silly policy to not validate for diners. We have no interest in staying there so that is not a problem for us.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: