Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list

Have a great cruise!
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
JoshAndEmmysMama74
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Still checking to see if anyone is doing this cruise. Let me know if you are and maybe we can get a Fish Extender group started.
We are going on this cruise. I have never been in a FE group but I think I want to give it a try. (This will be our 3rd DCL cruise)
JoshAndEmmysMama74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
kcwdmd
Earning My Ears

We are there...

Seems like forever from now, but we are on this cruise and can't wait. first cruise!
kcwdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAndEmmysMama74 View Post
We are going on this cruise. I have never been in a FE group but I think I want to give it a try. (This will be our 3rd DCL cruise)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwdmd View Post
Seems like forever from now, but we are on this cruise and can't wait. first cruise!
Whew !! I was beginning to think we were going to be the only ones on this cruise It IS a long ways away. 543 days. But that just gives us time to plan, right ?? JoshAndEmmysMama - the Fish Extender is FUN !! You will love it !!
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
HerrQSmee
Aiming for the second star on the right

Mickey's Fantastic Turkeys

Hey all you Thanksgiving cruisers! Thanks for getting the thread started. We are definitely in for the FE exchange. It's always a highlight of the Disney cruise experience.

This will be our 5th cruise but first on the Fantasy. We sailed over Thanksgiving for our first three cruises, but broke tradition this year by taking a cruise over spring break. It just wasn't the same without the Christmas tree and gingerbread house.

As for itineraries, we have been on both the Eastern and Western. The Western usually offers smoother sailing and a nice view of Havana. We prefer the ports on the Eastern even though the seas can be a little choppier. Either way, it's a Disney cruise and it's awesome no matter where it goes.

HerrQSmee and family
DL 96 & 99, WDW 2002, DLR 2004, WDW & DCL Wonder 2006,DCL Magic 2008, DLR 2009,Magic 2010, Dream 2012, DLR 2013

HerrQSmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
jecskc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrQSmee View Post
Hey all you Thanksgiving cruisers! Thanks for getting the thread started. We are definitely in for the FE exchange. It's always a highlight of the Disney cruise experience.

This will be our 5th cruise but first on the Fantasy. We sailed over Thanksgiving for our first three cruises, but broke tradition this year by taking a cruise over spring break. It just wasn't the same without the Christmas tree and gingerbread house.

As for itineraries, we have been on both the Eastern and Western. The Western usually offers smoother sailing and a nice view of Havana. We prefer the ports on the Eastern even though the seas can be a little choppier. Either way, it's a Disney cruise and it's awesome no matter where it goes.
This will be our second cruise. You will have to help us with excursions. I didn't think about the boat being decorated for Christmas on the Thanksgiving cruise. How exciting !!!

Which Spring Break cruise did you take? We were on the Dream April 10-15.

I am so happy this thread is finally getting some action !!
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
HerrQSmee

We were on the Dream for the 5-Day that departed March 13th. We had a great time but the ship just seemed so huge compared to the Magic and Wonder.

Our Western cruise was back in 2008. Our DDs were ages 10 and 13 at that time. We were supposed to go to Costa Maya but a hurricane the previous summer had severely damaged their facilites so we just stopped at Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

In Cozumel, we did the SeaTrek excursion. It was just a 100 yards or so from the pier and was a lot of fun. We booked it outside of DCL and saved lots of $$$. You basically walk around on the seafloor with a space helmet on your head. They have safety divers and a guide and they feed the fish to draw them in. You can buy a great DVD of the experience for a souvenir. Lots of them are posted on YouTube if you want to check it out. Different critters show up from time to time - you never know what's going to show up. Great restaurant next door to this place. We would definitiely do it again. Otherwise, we just walked around the mall next the pier and did some shopping.

In Grand Cayman we did the submarine excursion. It was very expensive but we saw some interesting fish and turtles. The best part was going to the the Cayman Wall where the ocean floor drops out of sight beneath you. You get a certificate saying that you reached a depth of 105 feet. It was a good experience but I would not do it again due to the expense and I think it would be the same as last time. Don't go on this if you are uncomfortable with tight spaces or being confined. Also, the submarine bobbed around a lot (a whole lot) prior to submerging. A few folks had to get off before we even started.

Our fellow cruisers raved about Seven Mile Beach and Rum Beach for excursions on Grand Cayman. I think that is what we are going to do this time. People also liked Stingray City but our DDs were too creeped out to try it. Some people liked the turtle farm until they figured out that the turtles are being raised for the dinner table.

That's about all I can say for excursions!

HerrQSmee and family
DL 96 & 99, WDW 2002, DLR 2004, WDW & DCL Wonder 2006,DCL Magic 2008, DLR 2009,Magic 2010, Dream 2012, DLR 2013

Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Hi-

We are sailing on this date as well. It will be me, DH, DS(13) and DS (8). This will be our 5th DCL cruise. DH and I just came off of a 3-night anniversary on the Dream last week. Loved the new ship so much more then I thought I would. Can't wait.

We are in room 5550.

Kim

Last edited by kimpossible; 06-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
kimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
BDmom
Earning My Ears

Hello all, I have been checking to see if we had a group, glad to see we do.

We are on this sailing. My husband and I plus our 2 girls who will be 10 and 12 at the time. This will be our second DCL cruise. The first was 2007. We have cruised with the girls on Royal Car. and Carnival too. Really love cruising. We are doing this cruise because we really want to experience the Fantasy. We're not necessary brand loyal to DCL, though we really liked it. Have also really enjoyed RC.

We have also done the Western before but should be a different experience with older kids they were just 4 and 6 last time.

We have friends joining us on this cruise also.

I have no idea what FE's are? I have been reading a bit on the dis boards and have seen it mentioned. Can someone give me a quick link?

Where are you coming from? We are from Denver area.

We also have a cruise scheduled for this Thanksgiving on Oasis of the Seas doing the Eastern. Oasis and Fantasy are 2 bucket lists for me! It's pretty exciting to be planning 2 cruises. And I'm keeping it from my kids at this point.
BDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
HerrQSmee

FE is short for Fish Extender. Outside of your stateroom door, there is a clip that is used for delivering messages to you (e.g., confirmation of dinner reservations, etc.). Most of them are shaped like a fish.

You can hang a pouch off the clip for exchanging items with your fellow DIS cruisers. This pouch is called a "fish extender" or FE for short. You can make your own or buy one on at amazon.com. It's at least worth going to the amazon site and typing "fish extender" in the search field. You will see some great examples of FEs and what a cottage industry this has become.

At some point, a gracious soul on this meet board will volunteer to compile a list of everyone who is participating in the FE for this cruise. During the cruise, we deposit trinkets and treasures in each others' FEs.

Some items exchanged are crafty and homemade while others are more like stuff you buy from Oriental Trading Company. It's a lot of fun and even our teenagers enjoy coming back to the stateroom and seeing the FE full of stuff. It is not supposed to be too stressful or expensive and is just another way to build excitement for the cruise. Use your creativity and have fun with it.

HerrQSmee and family

Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

Hello all! We are (ok, I am ) planning on this cruise. I want to go for the holiday decorations! (Plus it gets me out of cooking on Thanksgiving! ) But, I have to get it cleared through work first (officially, it's not listed in our policy any more, but unofficially, they frown on any vacations taken from November 15 - January 2, and don't even THINK about a trip in December -- I did, and it took an act of congress....)

Anyway, we are planning on this trip. It will just be the kids (DS will be 15 and DD will be 8) and I though. We did the Dream last October -- our first ever cruise, and now we are hooked! I have been considering that new ABD Scotland vacation, and still would luv to, but the cost is probably going to cause us to push it out 'til 2014. (here's hoping they do the same itinerary again! ) So Western Caribbean, here we come for 2013! (And shhh..... don't tell, but did get a vaca approved for this Christmas for a family event, so planning a trip to Disneyland CA! ) Hhhmmm..... maybe I should just move to FL and work for Disney! (Or at least buy stock!)

Those of you who have cruised in Nov -- will it be warm enough to warrant a cabbana at CC in November?
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
JoshAndEmmysMama74
Earning My Ears

Those of you who have cruised in Nov -- will it be warm enough to warrant a cabbana at CC in November? [/QUOTE]

One of our DCL cruises was the week after Thanksgiving and the weather was perfect for CC.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
kimpossible
DIS Veteran

Room 5150 is available

Hey. Just switched our room from 5150 to 5550. That means that extra large, extended verandah is available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: