Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Mommy & Me Girly Fun Bday 10/31 Last Day & AT home

Post Trip Report begins on Page 10, Post #144 with Teaser Photos

Table of Contents on Post #2

Yay!! I'm so excited! DD6 and I will celebrate our July birthdays in Walt Disney World. We'll be doing a split stay at Pop Century for our first time July 24 - 27 and then we move over to POR in one of the Royal Guest Rooms for 2 nights.

I'm so excited to go on this trip with my oldest daughter. It's funny how much life has changed by having a younger child. For 4 years it was just DD and I (and daddy). It'll be fun to be back to just her and I again.

Now we'll be able to "do Disney" the way we want: No diapers. No strollers. No baby-swapping. Nobody saying it's late, we should go back to the room. No fighting over who gets to sit next to whom. No grumpy daddy. No overtired sibling.

Here is a photo of DD6 and I from our January 2012 trip.

We'll be taking the Autotrain down and back but this time in a roomette (sleeps 2). I had priced out flights but only one airline now serves IAD-Dulles direct to Orlando, so the price has increased. With luggage fees the direct flights I wanted were only $85 less than taking the AT. So train it is! This will help with packing and we get to bring our own vehicle, which I prefer.

Come along on our journey -- it'll be girly fun!!

Last edited by Marshay; 10-30-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

PTR Table of Contents

Page 7, Post #99 - Merida/BRAVE Birthday party

Post Trip Report Table of Contents

Page 10, Post #144 Teaser Photos to start the report
Page 11, Post #156 Off we go -- chugga chugga
Page 12, Post #173 AK-MK-EP in 8 hours + AoA Resort Photo Tour
Page 14, Post #200 Exploring Pop Century
Page 16, Post #230 POR Royal Guest Rooms & F!
Page 17, Post #247 Last Day and AT Home + Souvenirs and Lessons Learned

Last edited by Marshay; 10-30-2012 at 08:32 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Marshay

Background

For about 2 years now, DD6 and I have been trying to do a weekend away at a local hotel. And for one reason or another it just didn't happen. Then we had one planned for January 2012 but my BIL/SIL's family only had one w/e to get together for the (post)Christmas holidays and that was our Mommy & Me weekend.

So once again, I told DD6 we'd have to do it another time.

Then on our January trip, we decided to get Annual Passes since we would be going to WDW again in January 2013. After our Jan vacation (see link below if interested), DH says to me that we should plan a Mommy/Daughter w/e trip to Disney for our birthdays.

Woo Hoo!!

DH rocks!

We checked out dates and found that Jet Blue and US Air both stopped direct flights from Dulles to MCO in June. We were going in July. So now it's either schlep to National or Baltimore, pay $$$ to go on United (which is now the only airline flying direct), drive or take the Autotrain.

I compared prices and found that the AT was actually cheaper than flying on United and renting a car. But to go on the AT means more than just a weekend trip.

So I got my parents and sister to take care of DD3 for 3 days and then DH will take 3 days off of work so we can spend a week at WDW!!

Last edited by Marshay; 05-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Marshay

Now where to go, what to do?

We first decided to go to Sea World and do Discovery Cove for 2 days before going to WDW. This was an incentive for DD6 to learn how to swim this year. She did and we are so proud.

However, the cost for DC was $299 -- PER PERSON!! Yikes! That would eat up nearly our whole budget. So I told DD6 that we couldn't do DC but gave her some other options. To be reviewed later in this PTR...

As for hotel, we went on-line to see what we would like.

Dis friends of mine like staying at Pop Century and that's one resort we haven't stayed at, so we'll spend 3 nights here.

Then I learned about the POR- Royal Guest Rooms and thought it would be perfect for us! DD6 loves Tiana -- that's her current favorite princess. So we'll switch over and do 2 nights there.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

YAY you started!!!

I just noticed the link in your siggie

I am off to read
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Trentmom
Has a high Poodar

So excited for you guys!! Glad you are finally getting your mommy and me Trip

Pop is awesome!!! Love looking at all the memorabilia in the lobby. The huge statues for each decade are awesome!!

We are staying at POR Royal Rooms in October. Can;t wait to hear your review on them

Can't wait for more
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Your Mommy and me trip sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun. I agree that Discovey Cove sounds so cool but not worth blowing our budget for. Maybe something to plan for in a few years.
We will be there the same time, staying at BWV. Can't wait to hear more of your plans.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
YAY you started!!!

I just noticed the link in your siggie

I am off to read
How did I know the first person would be you?!

Yeah, I'm just getting started on this PTR so I didn't want to advertise it yet. After our Girl Scout Camping trip this weekend, I'll be able to devote more time to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
So excited for you guys!! Glad you are finally getting your mommy and me Trip

Pop is awesome!!! Love looking at all the memorabilia in the lobby. The huge statues for each decade are awesome!!

We are staying at POR Royal Rooms in October. Can;t wait to hear your review on them

Can't wait for more
Well you are one the reasons we chose Pop. I know you like it a lot so I thought it would be good to try. Also, DD6 likes the pool area, so I need to remember to leave time for that!

Oh, I didn't know you were doing the Royal Rooms in October -- how cool!! They look super neat and I got a Pin Code so the price was reasonable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
Your Mommy and me trip sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun. I agree that Discovey Cove sounds so cool but not worth blowing our budget for. Maybe something to plan for in a few years.
We will be there the same time, staying at BWV. Can't wait to hear more of your plans.
Welcome!! I really do want to do DC ... but guess we'll do it when we go in the off-season. Now that price does include all your food and even alcohol but still, it's pricey.

Oh, I hope we see you there! Did you join the July thread, too?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Trentmom
Has a high Poodar

I am always watching

That is awesome you got a pin code....We miss the discount period by like 4 days
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
pld5
Dreaming of Disney

Joining In

I'm looking forward to this report! I will be living vicariously through you. It sounds heavenly to have a trip with just one other reasonably self sufficient person.
1972 - 1987 -WDW semi-annual trips with parents & brother -offsite hotels, 10/2005 - Pregnant with DS - offsite rental home (DH's first trip), 3/2010 -DS's first visit for his 4th birthday - offsite rental home, First stay onsite -WL "]Better Late Than Never January 22-28, 2012, They Don't Make Pencils in PA? Feb/Mar 2013 TR, Why Do I Have To Ride By Myself? Feb/Mar 2014 TR
Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Hi there!!

I am really excited for your trip report! I thought I saw the link the other day but there was so much going on it really didn't connect. I hope the camp trip is fun this weekend!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld5 View Post
I'm looking forward to this report! I will be living vicariously through you. It sounds heavenly to have a trip with just one other reasonably self sufficient person.
Welcome! Yes, I have high expectations for this trip. Although the other day Rachel said, "Mom, you just plan this trip and don't ask me so many questions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Hi there!!

I am really excited for your trip report! I thought I saw the link the other day but there was so much going on it really didn't connect. I hope the camp trip is fun this weekend!
Welcome!! Yep, I started but still have a lot to add to this. Was waiting for our Girl Scout Camping trip to be done so I could have some more time.

Speaking of GS Camping, we had a fun time! Our troop was the lucky troop on Fire Duty so the girls (1st time campers) got to collect wood and light the fire. They loved that part!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Welcome! Yes, I have high expectations for this trip. Although the other day Rachel said, "Mom, you just plan this trip and don't ask me so many questions."

Welcome!! Yep, I started but still have a lot to add to this. Was waiting for our Girl Scout Camping trip to be done so I could have some more time.

Speaking of GS Camping, we had a fun time! Our troop was the lucky troop on Fire Duty so the girls (1st time campers) got to collect wood and light the fire. They loved that part!

How funny of Rachel!

Thank you! I am patient.

That sounds like it was fun! What a great time for the girls.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran

I am here too! Look forward to hearing about all the details you are going to plan for your girly trip!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
How funny of Rachel!

Thank you! I am patient.

That sounds like it was fun! What a great time for the girls.
yeah, it makes it easier for me to plan but I also want her to enjoy this and do things she would like to do, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStitch626 View Post
I am here too! Look forward to hearing about all the details you are going to plan for your girly trip!
yay, welcome! I'll have an update later this week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: