Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #166
Lisa71
Adoption Rocks!
 
Lisa71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 845

Thanks Goofy for Tink!! I am getting really excited about our trip!
__________________
Me (42) DH (40) : DD (7): DS (6):
Lisa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #167
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieVanMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,485

Thanks for this sticky. I am already beyond stressed having DS by myself and his huge SN stroller and a bag with two carry ones. There was no way I could manage all by myself.

I have my yellow tags and plan to use them wisely!
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #168
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...
 
delaneyc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,083

I really did try to get through all these pages to see if my question was within...but I gave up on page 7...sorry !!! =( Here's my question.
We have DME. Reservations at Old Key West. However, we have a car rental waiting for us at the Dolphin. At MCO can we ask to get on a Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk bus instead of Old Key West when we arrive to help us easily pick up our rental?
__________________
Mrs D

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #169
siskaren
DIS Veteran
 
siskaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 6,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneyc52 View Post
I really did try to get through all these pages to see if my question was within...but I gave up on page 7...sorry !!! =( Here's my question.
We have DME. Reservations at Old Key West. However, we have a car rental waiting for us at the Dolphin. At MCO can we ask to get on a Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk bus instead of Old Key West when we arrive to help us easily pick up our rental?
No, you can only take the bus for your resort, and besides, the Swan and Dolphin don't get to use DME.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #170
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...
 
delaneyc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneyc52 View Post
I really did try to get through all these pages to see if my question was within...but I gave up on page 7...sorry !!! =( Here's my question.
We have DME. Reservations at Old Key West. However, we have a car rental waiting for us at the Dolphin. At MCO can we ask to get on a Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk bus instead of Old Key West when we arrive to help us easily pick up our rental?
This is ok to do. I asked at the dme desk at mco and they happily gave me a boardwalk voucher. On the bus right now!!
__________________
Mrs D

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #171
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,013
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneyc52 View Post
This is ok to do. I asked at the dme desk at mco and they happily gave me a boardwalk voucher. On the bus right now!!
Wow.....that's incredible. I've never heard of them doing this before. This is going to open a whole can of worms for Disney/DME down the road.
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #172
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...
 
delaneyc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Wow.....that's incredible. I've never heard of them doing this before. This is going to open a whole can of worms for Disney/DME down the road.
Finally back home! I'm pretty sure that most people on DME will want to keep their booked destination. I do not believe my request to get to the Boardwalk area to pick up my rental is the norm. However, they must do it at some frequency as the DME guy immediately pulled out a voucher, circled my new destination and very pleasantly told me to give that to the driver. Also note (although I'm not sure it would have made a difference) that we did not have any luggage. I truly do not believe it will open a can of worms. I think it's Disney just trying to accommodate a reasonable request.
__________________
Mrs D

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #173
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,013
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneyc52 View Post
Finally back home! I'm pretty sure that most people on DME will want to keep their booked destination. I do not believe my request to get to the Boardwalk area to pick up my rental is the norm. However, they must do it at some frequency as the DME guy immediately pulled out a voucher, circled my new destination and very pleasantly told me to give that to the driver. Also note (although I'm not sure it would have made a difference) that we did not have any luggage. I truly do not believe it will open a can of worms. I think it's Disney just trying to accommodate a reasonable request.
I'm glad you got it to work for you. When I say 'open a can of worms' my intent was one of 'oh, we want to go to the CR so we can meet up with family there and go right to MK rather than to Pop to checkin' type thing. People are well known for finding a way to 'work' the existing system. They read about someone's having Disney do something nice for them..and pretty soon, everyone wants to do it. This has happened in many instances. Take, for instance, the personalized menus you used to be able to request at Coral Reef. Or the diver who would dive with a special sign/message for your family. Pretty soon, everyone wanted it...merely because it could be done. Nothing special was being celebrated, they just wanted something that others had said they got. And now??? No more special menus..even if it is a special occasion. Same thing with the diver. Coral Reef was completely swamped by the constant requests. Now no one gets 'em.
I would hate to see a lot of people trying to get to their choice of destinations via DME rather than just to their specific resort. I have no issue with exceptions being made..but pretty soon, everyone thinks 'they' are the exception!!!
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #174
delaneyc52
First trip 1971...
 
delaneyc52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm glad you got it to work for you. When I say 'open a can of worms' my intent was one of 'oh, we want to go to the CR so we can meet up with family there and go right to MK rather than to Pop to checkin' type thing. People are well known for finding a way to 'work' the existing system. They read about someone's having Disney do something nice for them..and pretty soon, everyone wants to do it. This has happened in many instances. Take, for instance, the personalized menus you used to be able to request at Coral Reef. Or the diver who would dive with a special sign/message for your family. Pretty soon, everyone wanted it...merely because it could be done. Nothing special was being celebrated, they just wanted something that others had said they got. And now??? No more special menus..even if it is a special occasion. Same thing with the diver. Coral Reef was completely swamped by the constant requests. Now no one gets 'em.
I would hate to see a lot of people trying to get to their choice of destinations via DME rather than just to their specific resort. I have no issue with exceptions being made..but pretty soon, everyone thinks 'they' are the exception!!!
All good points....and I certainly do not disagree!
__________________
Mrs D

Contemporary; Caribbean Beach; Coronado Springs: Polynesian; Wilderness Lodge; Animal Kingdom Jambo; Animal Kingdom Kidani; Boardwalk; Beach Club; Port Orleans; Saratoga Springs; Old Key West; Grand Floridian; Bay Lake Towers; Vero Beach; Hilton Head
delaneyc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #175
amarberry
DIS Veteran
 
amarberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,117

Wondering if this scenario is okay...

We are using ME for a trip in a few weeks, but I'm now thinking about renting a car for a couple of days. If DH and the kids ride ME and I pick up the rental car at MCO, will we have any issues with all of our bags going through, etc? I don't want to rent a big car and I don't think that all of our luggage will fit in the rental!
amarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #176
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%
 
Horace Horsecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wiseacre Farm
Posts: 7,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarberry View Post
Wondering if this scenario is okay...

We are using ME for a trip in a few weeks, but I'm now thinking about renting a car for a couple of days. If DH and the kids ride ME and I pick up the rental car at MCO, will we have any issues with all of our bags going through, etc? I don't want to rent a big car and I don't think that all of our luggage will fit in the rental!
On your arrival day, there is absolutely no problem if least one person checks in at the DME welcome center and travels to the resort on a DME motorcoach. You can put yellow DME tags on all your checked luggage and all of you can bypass baggage claim. The bags should show up in your room up to 3 hours after you check in, but often much sooner than that. (The issue that's been the subject of endless debate and that this sticky thread attempts to address is what happens if NOBODY in the party travels to the resort on a DME motorcoach.)

For your departure, you are allowed to use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) on the check-out day from your Walt Disney World resort hotel as long as you are taking a domestic flight on a RAC-participating airline from Orlando International -- and your flight is not so early in the morning that you can't complete RAC check-in at least 3 hours before tour flight (RAC opens at 5:00 a.m.). There is no requirement for anyone to travel to the airport on a DME motorcoach.

You may also want to look at renting a car at WDW in the middle of your stay rather than renting and/or returning at the airport. National is at the WDW Dolphin. Alamo and National are at the WDW Car Care Center. All major car rental companies offer free pickiup and dropioff at WDW resorts from numerous car rental facilities just off property or at Hotel Plaza.
__________________
** Horace Horsecollar **

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 05-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #177
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,659

Do you know if we do a dcl cruise prior to WDW, and use DCL transfers to get to port from airport, and then port to WDW resort, can we still use complimentary ME to get back to the airport at the end of our stay?? Thanks
__________________
me and DH DD9, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #178
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%
 
Horace Horsecollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wiseacre Farm
Posts: 7,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Do you know if we do a dcl cruise prior to WDW, and use DCL transfers to get to port from airport, and then port to WDW resort, can we still use complimentary ME to get back to the airport at the end of our stay?? Thanks
Disney's Magical Express (DME) can be used roundtrip, one-way inbound, or one-way outbound.

In your case, the cruise is not part of the equation.

You would simply reserve DME (one-way) back to Orlando International Airport at the end of your WDW resort stay. You can also use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) if your airline participates in RAC and your flight is not early in the morning.

Some people on this forum recommend waiting until you're at your WDW resort to make DME reservations. I think it's better to reserve from home before your vacation. Then it's something you don't need to waste time on while on vacation.
__________________
** Horace Horsecollar **
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #179
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Disney's Magical Express (DME) can be used roundtrip, one-way inbound, or one-way outbound.

In your case, the cruise is not part of the equation.

You would simply reserve DME (one-way) back to Orlando International Airport at the end of your WDW resort stay. You can also use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) if your airline participates in RAC and your flight is not early in the morning.

Some people on this forum recommend waiting until you're at your WDW resort to make DME reservations. I think it's better to reserve from home before your vacation. Then it's something you don't need to waste time on while on vacation.
thank you!
__________________
me and DH DD9, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #180
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,255

Disney Cruise Line land-sea packages with the ground transportation option include airport to seaport to WDW to airport (or vice versa). You can make it a land-sea-land vacation using the free Magical Express for the "second land".

Last I saw, the sea-only cruise ground transportation (airport to seaport and back only) costs the same as the land-sea ground transportation. So there is no difference between DME, then DCL sea-only, then DME, versus DCL land sea followed by DME ground transportation for a land-sea-land vacation.

It appears to me that things will not get more complicated if Disney were to advertise and lots of guests request Disney bound DME to a different resort. It will not mess up baggage delivery to the resort either because baggage delivery is not synchronized with guest movements. But allowing going home from any resort leaves more chance for error and requires more vigilance on the part of the guest to see that the confirmation paper issued the morning of the day before checkout day shows the correct resort to depart from. Uncaught mistakes here could sour lots of vacations.
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
(News) In Nevada, federal officials order a rancher to move cattle off of land reserved for tortoises. (Me) Did China move people off of large tracts of land reserved for pandas? Why Eric?

Last edited by seashoreCM; 06-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: