Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I'm not a parent and I don't profess to know anything about raising kids, but this hurts to my core.

I think it's time that we add something to these anti-bullying campaigns and that's the message that suicide is NOT the answer.

The fact that these kids see no other way out is horrific.

We have to teach kids acceptance of black and white and hispanic and asian and gay and lesbian and differently abled and republican and democrat....I could go on, but you get the idea.

Looking back.....I realize I was bullied.

I was a very tall, unathletic, fat, gay kid. Three strikes!

My folks helped me through, but I wasn't bombarded 24 hours a day with texts and Facebook and twitter and 24 hour news telling me that other kids are killing themselves over stuff like this.

We have to teach kids to accept what is different and we have to start with ourselves.

To those families facing such horrible losses....you have my prayers, my sympathy and my sorrow.

No kid should die because of the actions of theirs peers.

If you think you might be the parent of a bully......get them some help, because there is a good chance they are hurting too.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Great post Kevin. You don't need to be a parent to know what's right and what's wrong. You only need be a good human being.

This will be rough tonight at home because we are all going to have to sit down and discuss it. My daughters have been sheltered from death (through good luck), so this will be a shock to them. I'm not sure what to say yet.

I cannot even fathom what the parents are going through.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

And about the bullying aspect. I'm on the school board at the school and I know about all the anti-bullying programs that are in place. It's talked about constantly and it's a big deal right from kindergarten up through high school.

But then you get the curious comment from my daughter who says that it seems the bullying is worse anytime somebody talks about it. Then I feel like the message might be falling on deaf ears.

Though I am proud of my daughter. She's a huge proponent of treating people equally no matter what walk of life they come from. She's been lucky enough to have made some gay friends, and I say lucky because it has really helped her open her mind.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
GaRain
DIS Veteran

My thoughts and prayers go to their families and communities.

I was bullied as a kid, but never did it cross my mind that suicide was the answer to this issue. I learned to defend myself and to just ignore people. sure, it still hurt, but I moved on with my life.

I think the bullying these days is so much more intense to these kids - with all their access to social media. The bullying is recorded and posted on youtube for someone else's entertainment.

Part of the issue is the bullies - what you are saying to them just isn't getting through. Plus, it may be that they are bullied at home.
Don't know what the solution to all this is - I just hope that we can trully teach our kids that there is life beyond highschool, there is life beyond this bully.
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

prayers to the familiy,

Last edited by Sparkie; 06-21-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
I think the bullying these days is so much more intense to these kids - with all their access to social media. The bullying is recorded and posted on youtube for someone else's entertainment.
So true! Not only are our kids constantly bombarded with news about these suicides like Kevin said, so they think it's normal, but it's harder for them to escape the bullying, because of their access to social media, so it consumes them. The OP really hit home with me as I have a 7th grader, and while we've talked about bullying, I have not really discussed suicide with him, as I felt he was too young for that conversation. Clearly, I was wrong about that!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: