Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #136
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

oh it's beautiful out that far.

Are you all packed?
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #137
sukhakuli
I guess I'm funny like that

Previously we have noticed that while the pools are heated, they aren't very warm. The kids had a hard time swimming for very long, and they are total die hards in the pool. Even dh got cold pretty quick. He grew up swimming in the Northern Rockies snowmelt lakes, so he isn't sensitive to the cold. Maybe it is better now.

Can we talk about the family suites?

Right now we are a family of 5, but will (God willing) be 6 when we go for spring break. Last trip we stayed at the Cabins and YC, and now that I have that out of my system, I am thinking about staying at Shades again. I will miss the dining plan, though. Last trip was our first time on the dining plan, and I loved it. Perhaps we'll do a split stay.

So, I am thinking about getting a suite. Actually, the price of the Palm Suite is reasonable for what you get, IMO. Especially considering the costs compared to Disney deluxe resorts.

What are the other family suites like? I really dislike suites with a master bedroom and then the kids are expected to sleep on pull outs in the living area that connects to the hall. I have a 7 year old with some pretty major developmental issues, and he absolutely will wander off without notice. Are all the suites designed like this?

Has anyone stayed at the Palm suite? Details, photos, etc would be great. Thanks!

Oh, and free WiFi now? Awesome.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #138
5kitty
Earning My Ears

DH and I have not stayed at SOG in awhile. Just curious about the food...has it gotten better? I read a lot of reviews that said it wasn't great. We used to enjoy getting lunch at Evergreens and eating it by the pool and the Garden Galley. Thanks.
5kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #139
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kitty View Post
DH and I have not stayed at SOG in awhile. Just curious about the food...has it gotten better? I read a lot of reviews that said it wasn't great. We used to enjoy getting lunch at Evergreens and eating it by the pool and the Garden Galley. Thanks.
nope. Same crappy crap as it's been for years now.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #140
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
nope. Same crappy crap as it's been for years now.
Please, tell us how you really feel.

They need to wipe the cobwebs from Evergreen's old menu from 10 years ago. You know, back when there was something worth looking forward to....like the onion rings.
AlwaysMoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #141
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysMoving View Post
Please, tell us how you really feel.

They need to wipe the cobwebs from Evergreen's old menu from 10 years ago. You know, back when there was something worth looking forward to....like the onion rings.
I know. I really feel like that's the one thing that will drive me away from SOG when the time comes when we don't need the extra bed in the room (meaning the college age daughter will stop travelling with us and it will just be dh, ds and myself) and at that time I don't know that I'll have trouble paying extra for a "disney" room seeing as how I won't be paying for DD's air/food/etc.

A good place to grab a bite to eat, and a nice place to grab a drink by the pool.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #142
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

So sorry buffet girl but I had to LOL at this quote.. My DS is in college and my 22 yr old DD still home with me and they both still want to go away on vacay with me and expect me to pay for it all... DS just turned 21 so now I have to pay for beer as well
See it never changes!!

Gotta love them though

RE: Family SUites - There are 7 of us going in August and the suites were not available. I spoke with SOG and they said the suites are reserved up to a year in advance and hard to get. They normally give these suites to large families.. I think like 10 or more people.
I am not sure if you will be able to snag a room but call and ask. It can't hurt
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #143
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
So sorry buffet girl but I had to LOL at this quote.. My DS is in college and my 22 yr old DD still home with me and they both still want to go away on vacay with me and expect me to pay for it all... DS just turned 21 so now I have to pay for beer as well
See it never changes!!

Gotta love them though

RE: Family SUites - There are 7 of us going in August and the suites were not available. I spoke with SOG and they said the suites are reserved up to a year in advance and hard to get. They normally give these suites to large families.. I think like 10 or more people.
I am not sure if you will be able to snag a room but call and ask. It can't hurt
uggh!! seriously, we had mentioned going to this past January and DD took a hissy. I mean, when I was that age the last thing I wanted to do was going on vacation with my parents and little brothers. I keep thinking that she'll eventually want to do her own thing.

(I also have MUCH younger brothers and for many years they did mooch off our vacations...every single year. LOL. In fact one of them is coming with us to WDW and as usual I did book his room at SOG and I'm just crossing my fingers I don't have to break any knee caps to get $$ from him. and the funny thing is that he and his wife both work, have just one young child and here I am trying to pay for college, one kid in jr high, 2 deployments, a house etc etc etc and for some reason they still think we have all the money in the world LOl )
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #144
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
uggh!! seriously, we had mentioned going to this past January and DD took a hissy. I mean, when I was that age the last thing I wanted to do was going on vacation with my parents and little brothers. I keep thinking that she'll eventually want to do her own thing.

(I also have MUCH younger brothers and for many years they did mooch off our vacations...every single year. LOL. In fact one of them is coming with us to WDW and as usual I did book his room at SOG and I'm just crossing my fingers I don't have to break any knee caps to get $$ from him. and the funny thing is that he and his wife both work, have just one young child and here I am trying to pay for college, one kid in jr high, 2 deployments, a house etc etc etc and for some reason they still think we have all the money in the world LOl )
Hehe. DH and I went this past November without our college freshman DD. We felt so bad we seriously promised to take her to DL when I had a business trip out there last month I guess we wouldn't have had it any other way. Yet.

To clarify though... we felt bad but that wore off and we had a great time.
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #145
Chris2597
DIS Veteran

I had to chuckle at the last couple of posts. My youngest dd is married in her mid twenties. She and her dh have gone on several nice vacations since their marriage and make it very clear that it is "their time" and the family isnt invited to join them. However, when we plan our vaca she gets upset that she wont be coming along with us. So funny!! I tell myself I should be grateful that she wants to be with us.

We have paid our deposits for SOG, but I was wondering when the final balance is paid. Do we pay prior to arrival or at departure.
Chris2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #146
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

Deposits??? I booked by phone and no one asked me for a deposit. I want to keep my rooms.

Do I need to call?
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #147
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2597 View Post
I had to chuckle at the last couple of posts. My youngest dd is married in her mid twenties. She and her dh have gone on several nice vacations since their marriage and make it very clear that it is "their time" and the family isnt invited to join them. However, when we plan our vaca she gets upset that she wont be coming along with us. So funny!! I tell myself I should be grateful that she wants to be with us.

We have paid our deposits for SOG, but I was wondering when the final balance is paid. Do we pay prior to arrival or at departure.
They will run your CC when you check in, thatn's how we paid our balance and they added parking then as well, after asking if we were self parking or valet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
Deposits??? I booked by phone and no one asked me for a deposit. I want to keep my rooms.

Do I need to call?
They should have gotten a deposit equal to the first night room rate. I would definitely be calling back.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #148
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
oh it's beautiful out that far.

Are you all packed?
Been packed for a month now.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #149
jusero
DIS Veteran

Two songs spring to mind today:

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go!

AND

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya, tomorrow! You're only a day awaaaaaay!!!!

I am going to try and post a pic of the day each day we are there.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #150
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2597 View Post

HAHAHA. Oh no. LOL

And nope, you just pay when you get there. I love that.

Jusero - you're driving, right? Do you arrive later today or tomorrow?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: