Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!

Is anyone following the Veronica Rose story?

http://www.saveveronica.org/

The family involved live close to us, and though I don't know them personally we have several friends. The case was recently heard by the SC Supreme Court and we're hoping for a judgment to send Veronica home.

I was just curious if anyone else was following this story and what your thoughts about it were.

Last edited by tammymacb; 05-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

I had heard nothing about this. Thanks for sharing.

So sad. Yikes.
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
CathrynRose
I can't stop sniffing me

And I'd break up your Org Post. It's hard to read the way it is, making people skip it. I only clicked your link.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I'd like to see an actual news piece laying out the details of that case, because that mess reads so awfully it honestly makes me assume they're shady and lying or why wouldn't they just lay out the facts.

Most of those cases are about someone protesting or changing their minds within a legallly acceptable period and the adoptive parents refusing to relinquish the child and dragging it out and THEN years later going on about how could you rip the now years-older child away from the only home he or she has known. That is what this sounds like, so... yeah.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
CathrynRose
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
I'd like to see an actual news piece laying out the details of that case, because that mess reads so awfully it honestly makes me assume they're shady and lying or why wouldn't they just lay out the facts.

Most of those cases are about someone protesting or changing their minds within a legallly acceptable period and the adoptive parents refusing to relinquish the child and dragging it out and THEN years later going on about how could you rip the now years-older child away from the only home he or she has known. That is what this sounds like, so... yeah.
Click the link. There's lots of news stories, as well as the FB page with links and links.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

I work for a public agency that works with foster care and adoption and I will be shocked if Veronica's adopted family wins. Don't misunderstand that to mean I think she shouldn't be returned; I just don't think it'll turn out the way they want. I've been in this field too long and know of many heart-breaking stories.

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

I have been following it since it happened in my hometown of Charleston, SC. What a very sad story for little Veronica.

Here is the facebook page for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveVeronicaRose
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
CozumelDisneyFan
shooping cart hooks?..... Aluminum foil roll securers?..... an arrow???
Sheesh......I must live under a rock!

These things just dont make sense to me!

Why does the dad think that he can come in at this late hour? If he had cared about the baby, he would have cared for the woman carrying her...

Will cross my fingers!

CozumelDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozumelDisneyFan View Post

Why does the dad think that he can come in at this late hour? If he had cared about the baby, he would have cared for the woman carrying her...

Will cross my fingers!
He filed when the baby was 4 months old and he was apparently deployed at the time.

He's under zero obligation to care about the mother, has nothing to do with what he feels for or wants for the child.

Thanks for mentioning there were some news stories at the link. I suspect they were picking and choosing but they're actual outlets so fine.

Interesting he found an outlet with the federal law, just in a general sense.

Wonder what his story is about why he waited four months and didn't file sooner.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
He filed when the baby was 4 months old and he was apparently deployed at the time.

He's under zero obligation to care about the mother, has nothing to do with what he feels for or wants for the child.

Thanks for mentioning there were some news stories at the link. I suspect they were picking and choosing but they're actual outlets so fine.

Interesting he found an outlet with the federal law, just in a general sense.

Wonder what his story is about why he waited four months and didn't file sooner.
According to the articles, he was not deployed at the time the mother was expecting. He chose to not support her, therefore it was considered abandonment of the child. Under South Carolina law, his parental rights should have been terminated. He found a loophole - for whatever reason - with the Indian Child Welfare Act.

I have friends who adopted twin girls last year. The birth mother chose my friend and her husband to adopt the girls. Just after their birth, the mother chose to use the Indian Child Welfare Act to keep her girls. She kept them for five weeks and called my friend to come and get them. Thankfully, in my friend's case, the adoption is now complete and legal. The girls just celebrated their first birthday a couple weeks ago.

Saying a prayer for Veronica.
mvazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Matt and Melanie were not aware Veronica was considered an Indian child during the initial stages of their adoption. They knew she was more Hispanic and Caucasian than anything else so when they learned of her small percentage of Cherokee heritage it came as a surprise. Regardless, they remain committed to raising Veronica in a healthy, loving environment with full understanding and appreciation of all her heritages – as Veronica is a multiracial child. But there is a law in the United States that claims Indian heritage is more important than any other heritage and that tribes are allowed to determine where a child is placed regardless of the birth parents wishes.

Since Veronica has ‘one drop of Cherokee blood’ this federal law known as the Indian Child Welfare Act would apply to her adoption case. Ultimately, the misuse of this law required Matt and Melanie to return Veronica to her biological father even though this federal act was originally established to protect families and children – not tear them apart. More importantly, if a child’s birth family maintains no affiliation with the Indian culture or tribe to begin with, Veronica would not be raised in a setting that would reflect the “unique values of Indian culture” to begin with.
Wondering if this should have been an issue forseen by the attorney who arranged the adoption?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #12
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvazul View Post
According to the articles, he was not deployed at the time the mother was expecting. He chose to not support her, therefore it was considered abandonment of the child. Under South Carolina law, his parental rights should have been terminated. He found a loophole - for whatever reason - with the Indian Child Welfare Act.

I have friends who adopted twin girls last year. The birth mother chose my friend and her husband to adopt the girls. Just after their birth, the mother chose to use the Indian Child Welfare Act to keep her girls. She kept them for five weeks and called my friend to come and get them. Thankfully, in my friend's case, the adoption is now complete and legal. The girls just celebrated their first birthday a couple weeks ago.

Saying a prayer for Veronica.
According to the Reuters article the law requires either pre-birth support or steps to be a father, and I assume the pre-birth support is directed toward the prospective child, same as steps to be a father (like making intent clear, buying appropriate infant care items, etc.), not supporting another adult. I realize it's South Carolina but even their law cannot be so backwards as to require someone to support a functioning adult against their will in order to retain parental rights.

Regardless, yeah, does hang on whether the federal will supercede the state. Which is hard to argue against in a general sense, but the particulars of the Indian Child Welfare Act in this case would seem to have some room - interesting argument there.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

These adoption problems always trouble me . . .

In this one it looks like the father began his legal action in very early 2010 . . . give or take two years later (new years eve 2011) the child was removed from Matt and Melanie's home.

No one looks good in this kind of protracted battle over a child.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I hope the biological father wins, if they had done the right thing when his daughter was 4 months there would have been no trauma for the child. By dragging it out the adoptive parents have been the cause of the trauma. For the sake of the child parent bond they shouldn't see her again. It is going to sound cruel but if you find you are unable to have a child you should only be allowed to adopt if BOTH parents agree if one changes his or her mind and closes to raise the child that is how it should be.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
I hope the biological father wins, if they had done the right thing when his daughter was 4 months there would have been no trauma for the child. By dragging it out the adoptive parents have been the cause of the trauma. For the sake of the child parent bond they shouldn't see her again. It is going to sound cruel but if you find you are unable to have a child you should only be allowed to adopt if BOTH parents agree if one changes his or her mind and closes to raise the child that is how it should be.
I agree. At four months, the child would not have been traumatized, having to go to her biological parent. Yes, the adoptive parents would have been devastated. That is a risk of adoption.
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: