Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #451
earljam
Mouseketeer

bump

April 2007 Off Site, September 2008 ASMo, September 2009 POFQ, September 2011 POFQ, November 2012 OKW, February 2013 POFQ, September 2013 POFQ
Me:35 DD 3
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #452
glennsgirl762
My Heart Belongs To Disney!! I Am A Member of The Dopey Five

HI everyone! We will be staying in the cabins for the first time in august for free dining. I've been trying get all the information I can on the Fort Wilderness Cabins and I know this is the place. My question is, is there a food court anywhere on the property where we can eat breakfast to use our QS credit or fill up our mugs? When we have purchased the dining plan in the past we always stayed at a resort where there was a food court. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!
2001-Tropical Palms 2003-Vistana
2004-CBR 2005-CSR 2006-CBR 2007-POFQ
2010-POR 2012-AKL 2014 ASMu

WE DON'T STOP LAUGHING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD, WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP LAUGHING!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #453
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Wow...

I just read this entire thread! I am SO excited for our stay in the cabins in just 43 days.

We are going to bring our bikes and I'm curious if we can ride them to the boat launch while we go to MK. Is it safe (if allowed)?

We want to stay in a cabin that is in a scenic area (if I can't have 100 might as well go for next best thing) so any suggestions for a good loop? I'm trying to avoid being TOO close to the pool and laundry (someone might try to get me to wash clothes eeekkkk ).

Thanks to all of the posters on this thread--so much great info!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #454
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Good Morning!

The FW Thread is alive again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsgirl762 View Post
HI everyone! We will be staying in the cabins for the first time in august for free dining. I've been trying get all the information I can on the Fort Wilderness Cabins and I know this is the place. My question is, is there a food court anywhere on the property where we can eat breakfast to use our QS credit or fill up our mugs? When we have purchased the dining plan in the past we always stayed at a resort where there was a food court. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!
This is some info that I copied from Allears.net about the food....

"Dining at the Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort includes 2 restaurants, 2 dinner shows, and snack bars - all serving American food. Restaurant meals range from under $15 to $60 per person, based on average Guest check, not including alcohol, tax and tip.

Crockett's Tavern, located in Pioneer Hall, features beverages and snacks such as pizza, quesadillas, etc. Pizza may also be ordered from the Trail's End Restaurant next door from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. and eaten outside the Tavern. A 16 inch cheese pizza is $11.95. Toppings are $1.00 each. See the Crockett's Tavern menu.

Trail's End Restaurant, also located in Pioneer Hall, provides an all you can eat buffets. Refillable mugs are available here for $12.99, which includes free refills for coffee, tea, and soft drinks. The mugs can also be refilled the Meadow's Pool area (self-service). See the Trail's End Restaurant menu.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ, an all-you-can-eat buffet with a live country band, line-dance instructor, and appearances by Disney Characters, is held on certain evenings at the Fort Wilderness Pavilion. See Mickey's Backyard BBQ menu.

The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue, an all-you-can-eat dinner show, is held nightly at Pioneer Hall. See Hoop Dee Doo Menu.

And the Chuck Wagon and the Meadows Pool Snack Bar are just a few of the snack places available
"

Hope that helps a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
I just read this entire thread! I am SO excited for our stay in the cabins in just 43 days.

We are going to bring our bikes and I'm curious if we can ride them to the boat launch while we go to MK. Is it safe (if allowed)?

We want to stay in a cabin that is in a scenic area (if I can't have 100 might as well go for next best thing) so any suggestions for a good loop? I'm trying to avoid being TOO close to the pool and laundry (someone might try to get me to wash clothes eeekkkk ).

Here is a map...this helped us get a better understanding of the campground, where things were, etc.

Here are a few links to our visit at FW....it's such a GREAT resort for families!!!

Day 1

Camp Fire Sing along with Chip n Dale

Day 2

Trail's End

Day 3

Both of you will have a fantastic time!
Happy Planning!
Heather

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #455
pmdeve
DIS Veteran

What a great review. Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #456
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Food options for QS

Food options are better than they used to be. The Meadows Snack Bar has QS options from 11-5 every day:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_mwd.htm

Trail's To Go (enter between Trail's End and Hoop De Doo) has take-out QS meals and is where you can fill your mug:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_teb.htm (read to the end for the "to go" options)

Other than those, you can take the small boat to the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge for their QS.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #457
sharadoc

Quote:

We liked loop 2500. It's closest to the pool and laundry and is small so the walk to the bus stop isn't that long. Oh Wait - I just saw you DIDN"T want to be too cose to the pool and laundry, so then pick the loop you like that's furthest from 2500.

There are TONS of bikes at the Fort. For those who camp, it's a primary mode of transportation. Of course it's allowed.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #458
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

We stayed there last year and loved it. We opted not to get the refillable mugs, as we always do, just because of the distant to both trading post so we found it better just to buy drinks for the refrigerator. But let me note we did not have bikes or rent a golf cart. Also I found the offering of QS meals not that great so we always had breakfast and all meals at the parks. Hope you have a great time, I know you will!
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14

Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #459
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Great info, thanks! 2100 looks like a nice loop! I'm glad we can ride our bikes everywhere. I think that will make getting around much easier.

I'm stoked for the sing-a-long, pony rides, fishing, trails and all the fun things the resort has to offer!

I can't wait to get down there.

Jan/Feb 2013 at POR

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #460
MUDisneyCouple
Thank God for the DIS and all you helpful people!!!

We have cabin fever up here in the Midwest, and have decided to turn our extended weekend getaway to Chatanooga into a trip to WDW

We checked the AP discounts and it led us to the Cabins...we've always wanted to stay here, so it's a double bonus. With that said, I'm a little scared that we might have bitten off more than we can chew.

As always, I turn to the DIS and all you amazing folks to help me out! We'll have DH, DGma, DD (2y/o) and myself. We leave in a few days, so I'm sort of in freak out mode!

Doubting we could request a certain area, but what would you all suggest for ease of getting to transportation?

What should we know about travel times to MK and Epcot from the cabins? Sounds like a golf cart would help out, but they're kinda pricey.

We'll be doing breakfast and lunch (plus nap) in the cabin each day.

THANKS for any help!
2003:Honeymoon-Wilderness Lodge; 2006:Spring Break-All Star Sports; 2007:2nd Honeymoon-Polynesian & DCL; 2007:1st Trip to DLR via Vegas; 2008:Badly needed trip to the World-Wilderness Lodge; 2008:1st Christmas Trip-Contemporary; 2009:What aren't we celebrating?!?!-Saratoga Springs; 2010:Alice's 1st Trip to WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2011:Alice's 1st Trip to DLR-Grand Californian; 2012:Parents Getaway-Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2012 :Are we nuts? Yep!-Ft. Wilderness; 2012:Alice's 1st Christmas at WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2013:Summer Fun-The Boardwalk; 2013:10th Anniversary Wine and Dine-Old Key West; 2014: Summer Wilderness Adventure-Wilderness Lodge Villas
Old 06-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #461
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

As a rule of thumb we always allow an hour for travel to each park. We did not rent the golf carts and we were fine. We were in cabin #2427, it was a short walk to the internal bus. If you are going to Epcot/AK/HS catch the bus going in the direction of the Outpost Depot then transfer to the park bus there. If MK take the bus in the direction of Settlement Depot, then short walk to marina to the boat going to MK. The boat will also make stops at Wilderness Lodge. Take a look at the map here on this site and decide where you think would be the best location and request that loop. I was just looking at the map at the bus transportation and it says you travel the bus from the Settlement Depot, we stayed there May 2011 and it was not like that so you may want to ask when you check in. No matter what you will have a great time!
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14

Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #462
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I have a few questions about the Sing a Along and the nightly movies.

1. Do Chip and Dale make an appearance EVERY night for the Sing a Along or is it only certain nights depending on the week? I want to make sure the kids get to see them!

2. Are the movies shown by the campfire area? Should we bring our own chairs? Is it a grassy area where we could bring blankets to lay down? I'm having trouble telling by pictures.

3. Can we bring a cooler or bag of additional drinks/snacks for the movie?

TIA!!! (And maybe I should probably ask this over in camping too )

Jan/Feb 2013 at POR

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #463
sharadoc

Quote:
I have a few questions about the Sing a Along and the nightly movies.

1. Do Chip and Dale make an appearance EVERY night for the Sing a Along or is it only certain nights depending on the week? I want to make sure the kids get to see them!

2. Are the movies shown by the campfire area? Should we bring our own chairs? Is it a grassy area where we could bring blankets to lay down? I'm having trouble telling by pictures.

3. Can we bring a cooler or bag of additional drinks/snacks for the movie?

TIA!!! (And maybe I should probably ask this over in camping too )
1 Yes they are there every night. They split up and each of them does half of the crowd so you'll only get to meet one of them.

2 It's like a little stadium with bleachers in a half-circle. The campfire is off to the side. I don't think you'd want to lay down, it's just dirt. You can bring lawn chairs if you want.

3 Of course you can. You can cook over the campfire too. Bring supplies for s'mores or hot dogs on a stick. There are logs around the campfire - the fire is in a giant metal bowl and there's usually plenty of room around the fires.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #464
bagsmom
Mouseketeer

Hoping to go back and bring the family

Very happy to find this thread, but trying to contain myself. We are having a hard time figuring out the budget. Sigh. We stayed at FW several times in our camper when I was a kid. Last year, we went to WDW for the first time and stayed in a pirate room at CB. Very fun -- but we did the whole disney boot camp thing and I traumatized my husband! We did the dining plan, but my kids are such picky eaters, we realized we'd be much better off doing food ourselves. It seems like we could save $ doing this, but the options with kitchens are a lot more expensive! Arrghhh! We have a slight possibility of borrowing someone's camper, but the logistics of getting it from Illinois to Georgia are crazy! Not to mention we have no place to park it between times! It's all making me a little nuts.

One question.... I'm a fan of the Unofficial Guide to WDW. Their advice was absolutely spot on for our last trip. According to their reader surveys, FW cabins have dropped down on the list -- makes it sound like they are slightly less well-kept over the past few years. They did acknowledge that the economy does affect how people perceive value for money spent. Just wondered if anyone had any input on that.

Also -- how is the refurbished pool? Nice? More fun than a run of the mill pool at a Holiday Inn?

I want to go SO BAD!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #465
MUDisneyCouple
Thank God for the DIS and all you helpful people!!!

We just got back from our 1st stay there and had a wonderful time!!! It was just the right amount of space and really a lot of fun! It was our kind of camping for sure We thought that they were well maintained. We did have an issue with our toilet, but it was fixed while we were in the parks. Very clean and the furniture didn't look worn out or anything like that. The pool was nice, not deluxe resort nice, but it has a slide. Didn't spend a lot of time there - lol!

The only thing I can't speak to is the bus system. We didn't use it. We have APs so we drove to all the parks and felt that it was a time saver with our DD (who is 2) to stay on a "schedule". We would definitely stay here again and for a longer timeframe.
2003:Honeymoon-Wilderness Lodge; 2006:Spring Break-All Star Sports; 2007:2nd Honeymoon-Polynesian & DCL; 2007:1st Trip to DLR via Vegas; 2008:Badly needed trip to the World-Wilderness Lodge; 2008:1st Christmas Trip-Contemporary; 2009:What aren't we celebrating?!?!-Saratoga Springs; 2010:Alice's 1st Trip to WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2011:Alice's 1st Trip to DLR-Grand Californian; 2012:Parents Getaway-Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2012 :Are we nuts? Yep!-Ft. Wilderness; 2012:Alice's 1st Christmas at WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2013:Summer Fun-The Boardwalk; 2013:10th Anniversary Wine and Dine-Old Key West; 2014: Summer Wilderness Adventure-Wilderness Lodge Villas
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: