Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoyle7185 View Post
Well Newsies just received 8 Tony nominations. Hopefully this will make disney give it an open run.
From what I've read, it's pretty much a done deal. I think it was just a matter of working out everyone's contracts and waiting for the Tony nominations.

Plus, advertising a closing date creates a great rush for tickets going into tourist season.

Listening to the audience reaction last night, my sister and I both said "Nope, they're not closing this in August!"

They're also releasing the movie on blu-ray in June. I heard a bunch of people saying they wanted to get it during intermission last night. I also heard a lot of people saying they wanted to check out "Joyful Noise", which starred Jeremy Jordan (who plays Jack in Newsies and just got a Tony nomination)...guess that movie is getting a nice boost too!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #47
edoyle7185
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
From what I've read, it's pretty much a done deal. I think it was just a matter of working out everyone's contracts and waiting for the Tony nominations.

Plus, advertising a closing date creates a great rush for tickets going into tourist season.

Listening to the audience reaction last night, my sister and I both said "Nope, they're not closing this in August!"

They're also releasing the movie on blu-ray in June. I heard a bunch of people saying they wanted to get it during intermission last night. I also heard a lot of people saying they wanted to check out "Joyful Noise", which starred Jeremy Jordan (who plays Jack in Newsies and just got a Tony nomination)...guess that movie is getting a nice boost too!
I hope you are right. I've already seen the show twice and I would love to see it again.
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #48
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well Newsies just received 8 Tony nominations. Hopefully this will make disney give it an open run.
3 more weeks!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #49
ellenmiele

Mouseketeer

My daughters and I saw Newsies at Paper Mill and this weekend saw it in NYC and brought DS and DH. It is fabulous! My daughters and I will be going again when we take my niece for her graduation present. And not only was the show itself fantastic but afterwards almost all the cast came to the stage door and signed autographs. We even took pictures with some of them. Every one of them was so gracious and just so appreciative and respectful of the fans to give us thAt kind of time - and they had another show in a few hrs. I just can't say enough. It's a very Disney experience! Hope it continues the run.....

Re: other Disney movies that could come to Broadway.... There has been a school play version of Aladdin that's been around for a while but last summer I had heard about a full stage production - I think in Seattle - an out-of-town tryout I guess - and if it did well I thought it would be coming to NY. This summer it will be in St Louis in Juky and then Utah in the fall. I've seen the school version and I think a full on Broadway production would be terrific. If Newsies doesn't get extended maybe we'll see Aladdin come to Broadway....Or maybe, following in the footsteps of Newsies, a run at Paper Mill.....

5/02(Poly),4/03(Poly),4/04(WL),10/04(BW),4/05(CR),4/06(AK and GF),4/07(BCV),12/07(SSR), 6/08 (DCL Wonder and BWV), 4/09 (SSR and Poly), 4/10 (AKV-Kidani Village and BLT) 4/11 (Universal HRH for WWoHP and then HHI villas), 4/12 (OKW), 11/12 (BWV for Grandma and Grandpa's 50th anniversary!), 3/13 (OKW), and next we sail the Dream then head on to the Villas at the Grand Floridian!

WL FLAG FAMILY 4/18/04

Last edited by ellenmiele; 05-14-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: More info
ellenmiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #50
edoyle7185
Earning My Ears

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Bre...Ended-20120516

So excited to get the chance to see it again.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #51
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Bre...Ended-20120516

So excited to get the chance to see it again.
Yay!! Planning to see it again in July.
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #52
piratehookspixiedust
Mouseketeer

I have seen Beauty and the Beast on broadway twice. I love Broadway and I fuly intend on taking the entire family the next time The Lion King comes our way. I hear it is breathtakingly amazing...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #53
pixie08
DIS Veteran

yes Lion King is amazing! A must see!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
elmlea22
Mouseketeer

I think that Aladdin would be a good show

LA/San Fran/San Diego/Vegas - 2010. NYC/DC/Philly - 2011. Vegas - 2012

elmlea22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #55
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

The Lion King broadway show was astonishing. It was absolutely incredible. I was sitting at the edge of my seat the entire time and the scenery was outstanding. I got chills when Circle of Life started being sung. :D

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #56
orca91
Earning My Ears

Saw beauty and the beast on Broadway, it was great. Love the Gaston song and his sidekick. Would love to see Newies on Broadway.
orca91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #57
MLLynch
Life is too short not to have fun!

I live in NJ, so it's very easy for me to visit NYC. I've seen, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mary Poppins and Newsies.

The were all excellent with great actors and incredible sets.

Michele
MLLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #58
Orreed
Olivia

I saw a touring productions of Mary Poppins and it was eh. I really want to see Newsies now! I have also have always wanted to see Lion King. My school is also doing Little Mermaid. It should be inserting how it turns out. I heard the Broadway one was not the best but I hope we make some changes and hearing that music all the time will be great! So excited to do a Disney show
Orreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #59
belliiee
Earning My Ears

Hi from Holland! First post so don't blame me for some English mistakes.
I'm a really big musicalfan. Although I live in a small country, we have great musicals here.

We've had a few Disney musicals here as well.
My first Disney musical was The Lion King, soon I hope to see it in London beceause I can't remember me that much of the show.
Next was Beauty and the Beast (seen it 4 times), it was great!
I cried like a baby when they played their last show

But then.. Tarzan came in the theatre. I've seen it 15 times, including the European premiere. With front row tickets (OMG!). Phil Collins got on stage (he's so small!). It was such a great experience!
I met really great friends out there.

High School Musical, seen it 3 times, wasn't that great but hey! As a student you can get into the theatre voor only 10 euros.

In that same year we've got a great show; Disney's Musical Sing-a-long; 4 great actors, 1 great show with really cool Disney songs!
It was so funny everybody in the theatre was singing Disney songs!

Mary Poppins was so cute, I know a little girl who played "Jane" so I went a few times just for her.

Now we have The Little Mermaid but it is really bad
I've seen footage from Broadway and this is just... well: wrong cast, ugly wigs and NO ROLLERSKATES, they walk!!
belliiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #60
DisneyAllyC
Princess Ally

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite. Saw it on Broadway twice and I was in it in high school. I also saw Mary Poppins and The Lion King and I loved them too!! I forgot I also saw The Little Mermaid. Didn't make a lasting impression on me. I loved some parts of it like all the things we know from the movie but I found myself bored at times.

1998:First trip to Disney-Polynesian
2004: Pop Century
2005: All Star Music
2007: Saratoga Springs
2009: High School Senior Trip-All Star Sports

4 days until my next trip to Disney World!

Last edited by DisneyAllyC; 09-04-2012 at 06:49 PM.
DisneyAllyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: