Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #61
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 11- PART 3 - Last half of Puerto Vallarta day!

So to contunue where I left off...

After lunch we went to go back to get our clay pieces that had been drying (make sure if you do this that you bring tissue or something with you to pack it home- they didn't have anything for you to wrap it up with) and then head to see the animals. They had a parrot, monkey and snake that you could hold. Didn't include the parrot pics since the kids did it on the beach earlier, but here we are with the other animals. The kids opted out of the snake- probably a good idea. I swear it weighed as much as I did!

We caught the boat back at 2:30 (after hitting up the gift shop for a nice handmade photo album for our Hawaii photos and a sweatshirt for Matt), and were back onboard around 3:20. The ride back was fun- the Vallarta Adventures crew was great and entertaining the whole way back singing and dancing.

Matt wanted some cold meds from Walmart and Sarah and I wanted to find a Starbucks (right next to Walmart in the mall) to get mugs to add to our City Mug collection that we have so we dropped the kids off at the kids club and then went back out into town. It was about a 10 minute walk to get there but in the heat it felt way longer! But we got everything we needed and then got back onboard.

Dinner tonight was at Parrot Cay. For our appetizers, Sarah got the St. Maarten stack (Grilled Calabaza and Mozzarella with Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette), Matt got the Jamaican chicken strips and I got the Ahi tuna. We also ordered the Crab dip for everyone to share- all were very good but the dips never come with enough bread/crackers/etc to dip. We end up having to use the regular bread from the table which is kinda annoying.

Right about now Piper fell asleep. No whining or anything, just put her head on the table and crashed..

For our entrees I got the grilled portabella mushrooms with sun dried tomato sauce (good!), Matt got the island spiced rib-eye (he kinda picked at it but I think it’s just cause his throat was still bugging him) and Sarah got the grouper over saffron rice (good!).

For dessert Sarah and I both got the Smores cake (good!) and Matt got an ice cream sundae (which made his throat feel way better).

After dinner we knew that Piper would not be able to get through the nightly show (Toy Story the Musical) so Matt and I offered to take her for the evening while she and Aidan went to the show. On the way to Toy Story, Aidan and Sarah ran into Mexican Mickey and Minnie! Piper took a bath in our room and then curled up in bed and watched the show on the tv instead After that it was bed for everyone!

Up next- our first day in Cabo!

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #62
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper View Post

I would go nuts holding a monkey...what a cool excursion. Did they charge you extra for that?
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #63
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
I would go nuts holding a monkey...what a cool excursion. Did they charge you extra for that?
Nope! All part of the cost of the excursion itself! They had a little itinerary that they gave you on the boat of activities (some cost, some didn't). Most of them you just wandered over to. It was fun

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #64
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Awesome updates- all caught up! Your PV day looks awesome. I hope Matt feels better soon.

Can you comment on the kids clubs? Did your kids enjoy them?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

Last edited by ProudMommyof2; 05-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.
ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #65
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Can you comment on the kids clubs? Did your kids enjoy them?
Sure! My kids are always hit and miss on the clubs (since this is our 3rd cruise). Well, to be more accurate- Piper is hit and miss. Aidan always loves them

Aidan tends to like the video games, computer stations, meeting new friends (he found a group of Star Wars fans this last cruise and they proceeded to give Star Wars lessons to one of the counselors who had never seen any of the movies), playing the organized games like Gaga ball and Bingo, etc. He isn't too into huge group activities like the experiments and cooking things as he has high functioning autism (Aspergers) and likes small groups better. Our last cruise I couldn't get him out of the clubs!

I did not choose to give him check out privilges- I trusted him to not get lost, but never felt the need to let him wander. Also his judgement isn't always great (he's a follower at times). This never proved to be a problem. Before I came to that conclusion I also debated whether to move him to the Edge (Tween Club) - as his 11th Birthday was the day after we disembarked. But since he plays a little young it wasn't the best fit for him.

Piper on the other hand is very shy at first and isn't outgoing at all (even though she has been in daycare since she was 10 months old). She tends to get kinda lost in the Club/Lab.

Our first cruise she wasn't a fan (she was 5) and cried a lot. Our last cruise (she was 6) was a bit better- she was ok when Aidan would play with her but she wouldn't chose to go there at all.

This cruise though she seemed to enjoy herself a lot more (being in first grade and just getting older she is more assertive)- and didn't even stick with Aidan. She actually chose most of the time to go to the Club and not the Lab because she liked the acitvities more there (the Princess things, art, the slide).

DCL kids clubs are great, however if you kid is shy, uneasy with strangers, etc it's impossible for them to get one on one attention (just too many kids and not enough staff). This isn't a knock on the clubs, I think they are awesome! But having a kid like that myself, I don't go in expecting the staff to change those personality traits and suddenly make my child have fun. lol. So I think every child will have a very different experience in the clubs just depending on their own personality

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #66
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 12- PART 1 - Cruise day 5, Cabo Navigators

Here are the Navigators for our first Cabo day (cruise day 5) and the tender boat process sheet

Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #67
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 12- PART 2 - cruise day 5, Cabo!

Today was definitely a slow start to the morning- I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and saw that we were heading towards Cabo. Today was a tender port day, which meant instead of just walking off the boat onto the pier, you had to board a small catamaran style boat for about 5-10 minutes to the marina. Tenders were supposed to start around 9:30 and since we didn’t have an excursion today we didn’t get priority off the boat. Our plan was just to head to the beach though so no real hurry.

Matt and I went to Triton’s this morning for breakfast after getting coffee up at the Cove- it didn’t take long though. I wasn’t too hungry and Matt still wasn’t feeling great (worse then previous days- his cold was just draining him). The kids and Sarah went up to the buffet to eat breakfast and we met up with them in the late morning. When we got back to our room we saw that one of our lovely DisBoard friends Katy left us a fun gift (even though we weren’t part of the FE group) A cute honeymoon tote she made (which I now use daily to take various things to work), cute hair clips (for P), a tee shirt (for A) and a keychain.

Our tender process was pretty easy. I want to say we got to the theater (where you get tickets) maybe around 10:30 or so. They loaded up one boat before ours so we waited maybe 15 minutes I would guess. Once they cleared us for getting on a tender it was easy, just follow the stairs down, hand over your ticket and leave the ship!

Once we got off the tender boat you have to walk down to the end of the marina to catch taxis. We didn’t want to do a water taxi for both money reasons (it was actually cheaper each way with 5 of us to do a land taxi) and comfort (no one wanted to jump out into the water, and Piper can get seasick easy on little boats). We got a taxi van and headed over to Medano Beach Club (where Matt, I and the kids had gone last year and really liked it). We got a table up under then canvas tent area (key so the beach vendors don’t bug you) so we were in the shade which was great. The kids played in the sand for a bit by our table while we relaxed and ordered a drink.

We all went down to the water with the kids off and on before lunch which was fun- the waves were very strong though. I wasn’t paying attention once and Piper and I were in ankle deep water or so and it knocked us flat over. The wave going back out started to pull us out (since we had fallen on our faces) so Sarah had to come rescue Piper while I tried to get up. It was funny but also a reminder it was not a beach to let teeny kids go out without holding onto them. It seemed better than last year though. Sorry (not really) for posting more pics of us frolicking in our swim suits. lol. Matt has lost a total of nearly 100 pounds since right before we started dating (60 prior to us dating, about 35 in the last year) and I lost about 12 (not that I really needed to but my wedding dress didn't zip up a few months before the wedding so I went into beast mode to get in shape). So we went most of this vacation in very little clothes because we felt awesome!

We eventually ordered lunch – it was good! More so because our day there was CHEAP! With tip it was $65 (we paid cash). Between the 5 of us we had: 3 bottled waters, 1 GIANT margarita, 4 regular margaritas, 1 mimosa, 2 kids meals (quesadilla plates), a huge plate of nachos, an order of tortillas and an extra order of chips with lots of fixings. I think it was a good deal! Aidan got sulky (he hates the heat) right about now and decided to rebel by turning his chair around. Lol.

We left mid afternoon or so to head back to the ship. We found taxis right in the same area (behind all the beach side restaurants) and got dropped off at the market at the marina. We all looked around for a bit but didn’t buy anything because we were tired and knew we would be back in the morning.

We went back to our cabins and I helped the kids with their homework for awhile and then P came back to our room for a bit and we all (Matt, Piper and I) dozed for a bit. Around 5 or so we dropped P back at her room so she could get ready for dinner with Sarah and Aidan. Tonight was Pirate Night which both the kiddos love! Piper had found a striped pirate shirt in a thrift store earlier this year and Aidan wore the new shirt we got from Katy!

Matt and I had dinner at Palo tonight, which started out ok but Matt was feeling completely exhausted and not at all hungry (he made the mistake of drinking in Cabo and was feeling super off because of it). We decided (after we were already eating our appetizers) that leaving was probably for the best. Palo dinners can last a couple hours and Matt just didn’t have it in him. Matt left me to wait for our dinner (the chef and our waiter were so great and put covers on the plates for us to take it back with us). I want to say I was there by myself for about 20 minutes or so, but it felt SO much longer. It was super uncomfortable sitting by myself and having people come over and make sure I was “ok” lol. I just wanted to get out of there! By the time I got back to the room, Matt was already asleep (by 6:45).

Meanwhile the kids and Sarah were having a great night at Pirate Night! For dinner Sarah had the Bib Lettuce salad with raspberry dressing and then the Macadamia dusted Mahi (mild flavor but good).

After they had dinner, Aidan wanted to go the clubs so Sarah dropped him off and her and Piper went to do photos with Captain Jack and Captain Hook.

Eventually Piper got tired, Sarah went back to get Aidan and they went back to the room. Piper fell asleep in their room before fireworks but Aidan and Sarah watched them from the verandah in their cabin. I saw part of them from my room but was just so discouraged and feeling sorry for myself I just went back into the cabin. I know, not a great attitude but I felt like we had spent so much money and gone to all this work making sure that we would have a great honeymoon and Matt was sleeping the whole time! I knew it wasn't his fault or anything, but if there was any vacation to get sick on this was NOT it. I kept trying to tell myself that we at least had an AMAZING time in Hawaii. I did read the last Hunger Games book though tonight- so that was something productive. Lol.

Up next- our last day in Cabo!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #68
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

I don't blame you for being bummed. Not at all how you envisioned your honeymoon. I hope things improved.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #69
spiiffy
Mouseketeer

Made my night

Thanks for posting the pics of your son in the shirt I made. We actually ended up missing pirate night because my son Logan had a seizure and we were taken off the ship by paramedics and ended up in a Cabo hospital overnight. I was so sad to miss pirate night. Looks like Matt missed most of it too! Sorry he was so sick.

December 2012: 14 night Panama Canal on the Wonder

April 2012: 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Wonder

June 2010: 5 night Bahamas on the Wonder

Disneyland Annual Pass Holder
spiiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #70
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 13 - PART 1 - Cruise day 6, Cabo day 2 Navigators

Here are the Navigators for our 6th cruise day, our second day in Cabo!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #71
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 13- PART 2- Cruise day 6, our 2nd day in Cabo!

We had agreed the night before to meet up in the morning to head back into town fairly early (we had limited port hours today). I want to say it was about 8 am when we all met up. Matt was feeling so-so, which I guess was better than nothing. His energy level seemed higher today though!

Our goal this morning was to hit up Starbucks (and get our last city mug of the trip) and hit the little market by the marina to do shop shopping. Nothing big, and we hoped to be back on the boat within an hour or two. Aidan decided he wanted to stay in the clubs so it was just the 4 of us venturing out. We headed down to the taxi area (after asking around and realizing it was going to be a very long walk and it was already hot out) and got dropped off over by the star bucks. It was $8 each way. Yes I know, that’s $4 a person total just to go to Starbucks- but hey- I’m from Seattle! We got our coffee and our last mug and headed back to the marina.

Here are all my mugs from this trip: I am a new collector (some friends have bought me mugs from places) but my favorite had always been my Bahamas one from the Starbucks I went to in Nassau on a DCL 2010 cruise. Now I have lots of new cute ones!

Once back at the marina we poked around for maybe 30 or 40 minutes shopping. Us adults got some nice hand blown wine glasses, Sarah and I got some Victoria Secret knock off Cabo tee shirts (that looked like the “PINK” stuff) , the kids each got Cabo Angry Bird tee shirts and I got Aidan a little bobble head creature and Piper a little guitar. Shopping done!

We got back on the boat and I took Piper for a bit to let Sarah have a break. We took her to the pool to play around, then Matt ran to get Aidan out of the clubs to meet up on the pool deck with Sarah. We got the kiddos lunch and then she took them back to the cabin to eat, while Matt and I took some food from the buffet down to our cabin as well.

The kids watched from their cabin as we left Cabo! You can see how the tender boats worked too.

At 2:00 Matt and I had a spa treatment that we were SO excited for- the Couples Choice Villa. We got checked in and then were told to go to the relaxation room for awhile to wait for our therapist. I think we both almost fell asleep in there! At about 2:10 Julie (my therapist) and Orlando (Matt’s) came to pick us up then take us to our treatment villa. Here is stock photos (I didn’t take my camera in) of the area- this is exactly what it looked like!

Our treatment started in the covered deck area with us sitting down and them scrubbing our calves and feet with this wonderful ginger lime salt scrub while massaging. (I later asked to purchase this- they didn’t even have to try and seel it to me, it was wonderful!). After that we were left to the Jacuzzi (which they had filled as we were getting our leg work done) and added lots of yummy smelling salts and gels. We had about 30 minutes in the tub to just relax. Matt almost fell asleep. Lol. It was nice to just sit in quiet and enjoy the space. One thing though- I’m honestly not sure which villa we had but if sitting in the tub close to the sliding glass doors of the verandah, I could see into a jetted out area (crew maybe?). Not sure but I wouldn’t have gone topless there… we brought our suits with us until the massage part.

They came and knocked on the door to let us know we had 5 minutes before the massage part so we got up, rinsed off and changed into our robes. We had been given a choice of treatments (I honestly don’t remember what they all were) but we chose the 75 minute hot stone massage. This was heaven! Very hot though so if you are temperature sensitive to oils and stones I may not recommend it- I thought it was great though! Matt fell in and out of sleep during it. Lol. At least he was relaxed!

After our massage we were given a few minutes to change then invited to go back out to our private deck and relax in the roman bed for awhile (they said it would be 20 minutes but I feel like it was much longer). We ate fruit and drank tea and just watched they ocean. We got another warning knock and then they came out to give us our payment folders and see if we needed anything else. I also bought some Elemis foot cream since my heels get really cracked in dry (Seattle) weather.

In all we spent a LOT of money, but it was such a great once in a lifetime type spa treatment. Also, when we were back in the locker room I checked my clock right away and it was just after 5:00. We were in there for 3 hours and yet only was scheduled for 2 so I feel like our relaxing times and Jacuzzi times were definitely longer than it was supposed to be. Yay for us though!

During our spa treatment Sarah had put the kids in the clubs after doing homework and went to a martini tasting! She said it was fun to get away and talk with some other people. Lol. I was jealous, no tastings at all this cruise since Matt wasn’t drinking. Oh well! Next time. Sarah also snapped a great picture of the lobby!

Since it was so late getting out of the spa, we went back to our room right away and changed for dinner. Tonight was semi formal night, and we were eating in Animators Palette again.

For appetizers Matt had the Beef and Sun-Dried Tomato Consomme which he asid was good (for his throat esp) and I had the mushroom soup topped with truffle oil (loved it!). I don’t think Sarah had an appetizer…I can’t find a picture! I think it’s because she ordered 2 entrees. Lol.

For entrees Sarah and Matt both had the fettuccine with parmesan crusted chicken (they both said was good) and Sarah also had the Lobster (good). I had the asparagus and blue cheese risotto (SO good. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it…).

For dessert we all had the warm chocolate lava cake (YUM!).

So I know I mentioned back in my first post that we had an awesome head waiter- here he is with Aidan. His name was Tektas and I was super impressed. He stopped by our table every single night to talk to us, he often walked us personally to our table as well. He did sort out the whole dining alone thing for us the first night but he didn’t “have” to always go so out of his way. He was great- the kids loved him!

After dinner was the show for the night- Disney Dreams. I LOVE this show. It is my absolute favorite. We got there early to make sure we sat towards the front. To enjoy some of the show’s “surprises” it’s good to sit in front of the first row of theater lights above you. We got good seats and enjoyed the show. And Matt was still awake! Lol.

When we got back to our room from the show after tucking the kiddos in, we found another cute card with turn down. So sweet!

Up next, our last sea day! Then off to Disneyland again!

Last edited by mom2aidanNpiper; 05-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #72
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

I love the water in Cabo! I'm so tempted to take another MR cruise later this year!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #73
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

YAY! for spa pixie dust!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #74
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiiffy View Post
Thanks for posting the pics of your son in the shirt I made. We actually ended up missing pirate night because my son Logan had a seizure and we were taken off the ship by paramedics and ended up in a Cabo hospital overnight. I was so sad to miss pirate night. Looks like Matt missed most of it too! Sorry he was so sick.
Aidan loves the shirt He was so excited to see it!! I know we've chatted a bit on our FB group but so sorry about Logan Aidan is special needs (though not medically like Logan, though we have had some big medical scares) but as a baby he needed many procedures, minor surgeries, etc and now we tackle the Aspergers and mostly OCD as an issue. Taking care of high needs kids can be so tiring! I'm glad you guys made it back on the boat though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
I love the water in Cabo! I'm so tempted to take another MR cruise later this year!
Yeah, this was our 2nd MR cruise (we did the other one a year previous) so we couldn't do another one I don't think for awhile. We did book a dummy date onboard though so who knows where we end up next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
YAY! for spa pixie dust!
Yeah, considering we walked out of there after the package, the 2 products (totalling $100) and tip, a grand total of $700 poorer, I was happy to have some extra time in there!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #75
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Day 14- PART 1- Cruise day 7 sea day Navigators

Here are the Navigators, tip sheets and envelope and also our disembark instruction sheet!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: