Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

Fastpass+ testing starts May1st

According to Jim Hill Media, the next gen fastpass system starts selective field testing this Tuesday.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...this-week.aspx
Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
WSLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Fan View Post
According to Jim Hill Media, the next gen fastpass system starts selective field testing this Tuesday.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...this-week.aspx
I am interested in hearing more about this and how it works.

How far in advance do you book your rides? Same day? Weeks ahead? I don't even like having to make ADRs let alone booking ride times!

Is this going to be like front of line pass at Universal where you pay a premium to skip the lines? Will there be a Fast Pass-Plus option like the park hopper option when you buy your tickets.
WSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

I think Jim Hill is taking rumours and getting carried away again as a lot of his article doesnt make sense. He seems to contradict himself several times in the article.

He says Disney will notify potential testers in advance, and then at the end he tells people to stand around the fastpass+ machines.

He says its going to be a fastpass plus card - but everywhere else says its a wrist band??

He says it will give the testers will be given special experiences as they move through the rides - yet I've not read of any rides having any extra screens etc installed for this yet?

He then rambles on about how testers absolutely MUST go to all their rides at the precise chosen time and that they'll only be allowed to use normal fastpasses and go do other stuff after their fastpass plus itineraries are complete! Love to know what happens if the testers dare deviate?!? lol

Finally, he suggest people waiting by the haunted mansion or stitch - yet I'd read the machines had been installed by stitch and space mountain?

anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Who/what is Jim Hill Media? I ask because I'm trying to understand the source. I've read several posts here on the Dis Boards that talk/suggest information from Jim Hill Media is often unreliable and often inaccurate. Does he/they just speculate, or do they have some pseudo-official link to Disney?
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00 View Post
Who/what is Jim Hill Media? I ask because I'm trying to understand the source. I've read several posts here on the Dis Boards that talk/suggest information from Jim Hill Media is often unreliable and often inaccurate. Does he/they just speculate, or do they have some pseudo-official link to Disney?
this may help:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....light=jim+hill
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

When I posted the Jim Hill story yesterday it was the second time I had heard the story. The first time it was on stitchkingdom.com. Although Jim Hill may not turn out to be spot on I am seeing more news out from various sites about testing starting tomorrow including a story from wdwinfo, http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Pa...***_system.htm

Hopefully if it's true we will find out some facts tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran

Is this why Disney asks if we are celebrating a "special" occasion anytime I call about my upcoming reservation? I vacation six or more times a year. Rarely do they coincide with birthdays or our anniversary. Who celebrates their birthday six weeks early or late?

I would like to participate in the Fastpass+ program, maybe I should include a birthday or something in my reservation? Even if it occurs three weeks prior.

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

The podcast crew said this was a go in last weeks show!

I guess it is a reality.
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

I was behind several people using the xPass today in the MK. One thing that was immediately obvious is that it takes A LOT longer than the the paper FP. Each ticket had to be scanned, then the light on the post turned green or blue, then the CM had to look at the iPad Screen to verify that it was valid, then they moved on to the next pass. Luckily the lines never "emptied" as a result, but they very easily could have if there were not any paper FP also in the queue.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

Ha!

While it is possible to do this, the actual mechanics of making it happen may make it impossible to implement on a large scale.
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
disfan4life1
Mouseketeer

sounds like it could be more trouble than its worth..I hope its not something we have to end up paying for..I'm not much into planning when and where we have to eat so I'm not sure yet if I would like having to plan when we are goin to ride things..guess its worth a try though..it may be better than I thinks
disfan4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

I'm sure that they will find some way to streamline the process. One way would be to let the guest scan their own cards rather than having the CM do it.

So after digesting all the info I've read about xPass (or whatever they are going to call it), I'm ready to make my prediction.

1) RFID key cards/wristbands will replace the current KTTK and park tickets.

2) xPass, once fully implemented will completely replace the paper fast pass system. Just like FastPasses, there will be a limited number of xPasses available for each "return" time window.

3) xPass will use RFID chips in either key cards or wristbands (possibly a choice)

4) xPass (formally fastpass) will be extended to virtually every attraction in every park, rather than just the top 4-8 in each park.

5) There will be two "stages" of xPass. The first will be for resort guest only. The 2nd will be for everyone.
5a) Resort Guest only: For this stage the attractions will be broken down into 4 "levels", (i.e. E-ticket, D-Ticket, C-Ticket, and A/B-Ticket). Every resort guest will be able to "book" one xPass in each level, each day of their stay. In addition to selecting your attraction, you will also be able to select your time "window" as xPasses are available. All resort guest will be on equal footing. I.e. Value Resort guests will get the exact same benefit as Deluxe Resort guests. The time frame for being able to reserve these xPasses is a little murky. I would guess somewhere between 24 hours and 1 week prior to park opening.
5b) For everyone including resort guests: The current Fast Pass machines will be replaced by xPass kiosks. These will be used to "collect" xPasses using the RFIDs in the same manner that Fast Passes are currently collected. Resort guests pre-selected xPasses will not count against them for collecting more xPasses in-park, however all xPasses collected in park will have similar rules as the Fast Pass does today (i.e. can get your next xPass in 2 hours or at the start of the return window of your current xPass)
6) There will also be various kiosks around the park where one can check the current return times encoded on their xPass.

I believe that DVC will be considered "Resort Guest" however Annual Passholders (unless they are staying onsite) will not get the "Resort Guest" benefit.

I suspect that guests of Shades of Green, The Dolphin, The Swan, and the Downtown Disney Hilton, will also be considered "Resort Guests".
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00 View Post
I'm sure that they will find some way to streamline the process. One way would be to let the guest scan their own cards rather than having the CM do it.

So after digesting all the info I've read about xPass (or whatever they are going to call it), I'm ready to make my prediction.

1) RFID key cards/wristbands will replace the current KTTK and park tickets.

2) xPass, once fully implemented will completely replace the paper fast pass system. Just like FastPasses, there will be a limited number of xPasses available for each "return" time window.

3) xPass will use RFID chips in either key cards or wristbands (possibly a choice)

4) xPass (formally fastpass) will be extended to virtually every attraction in every park, rather than just the top 4-8 in each park.

5) There will be two "stages" of xPass. The first will be for resort guest only. The 2nd will be for everyone.
5a) Resort Guest only: For this stage the attractions will be broken down into 4 "levels", (i.e. E-ticket, D-Ticket, C-Ticket, and A/B-Ticket). Every resort guest will be able to "book" one xPass in each level, each day of their stay. In addition to selecting your attraction, you will also be able to select your time "window" as xPasses are available. All resort guest will be on equal footing. I.e. Value Resort guests will get the exact same benefit as Deluxe Resort guests. The time frame for being able to reserve these xPasses is a little murky. I would guess somewhere between 24 hours and 1 week prior to park opening.
5b) For everyone including resort guests: The current Fast Pass machines will be replaced by xPass kiosks. These will be used to "collect" xPasses using the RFIDs in the same manner that Fast Passes are currently collected. Resort guests pre-selected xPasses will not count against them for collecting more xPasses in-park, however all xPasses collected in park will have similar rules as the Fast Pass does today (i.e. can get your next xPass in 2 hours or at the start of the return window of your current xPass)
6) There will also be various kiosks around the park where one can check the current return times encoded on their xPass.

I believe that DVC will be considered "Resort Guest" however Annual Passholders (unless they are staying onsite) will not get the "Resort Guest" benefit.

I suspect that guests of Shades of Green, The Dolphin, The Swan, and the Downtown Disney Hilton, will also be considered "Resort Guests".
I would LOVE this system since it would mean that off-site gets some of the benefits of the new fastpass+ but don't have to plan in advance. We can only hope!

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Maybe I missed it but can someone please tell me the point of FP plus?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment632 View Post
Maybe I missed it but can someone please tell me the point of FP plus?
Well there is some debate about that. It could simply be a fully electronic replacement to the current paper FP system. However, the more common belief is that it will be an additional perk for staying onsite, i.e. to try to get more people to stay onsite. The idea would be the if you stay onsite, you will be able to "book/pre-arrange" a xPass (formally FP) the night (or week or more) before so that you don't have to race to the xPass kiosk (formally FP machine) to get a return time. Additionally the rumor is that they will be extending the xPass system to virtually every attraction, which would have the additional benefit of controlling crowds by "ushering" (via the xPass return times) people toward attractions that aren't a busy at certain times (i.e. like Jungle Cruise the first 2 hours of the day).

One note, I do have information from a fairly reliable source that the fast pass sytems as we know it (i.e. the paper FPs) is going to be completely replaced by xPass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: