Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #316
LookinUp
Mouseketeer

Sorry Henry was feeling poorly. I hope your little man is feeling better.

Congratulations on making such progress on your waterslide phobia! Great coaching, Dr. Pat!

Finally: Thank you! You are helping me chip away at DH's resolve not to do Disney this year (to save up $ & time for a deluxe-everything trip). I had just told him about Starbucks coming to Disney - & somebody I know is a huge fan. Then I shared your great corn dog showdown, and that reminder of glorious Disney food opened up another crack in his defenses. For our Indian-food-loving family, it also doesn't hurt that the food court at Art of Animation will have 4 tandoor ovens! Maybe I shouldn't count my chickens just yet, but I'm already thinking another F&W trip. Just in case, I'd better get on ADRs ...

LookinUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #317
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I am so jealous on how much time you are going to have on the ship. It's gonna be so fun!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #318
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

What a great installment!

The corn dog wagon is fabulous, right? I rarely get to eat there.

I think that spot right where Alice and the Teacups meet is my favorite spot in any Disney park. Is just so whimsical and special.

at your "Is that a cat?" line. The Disneyland cats are famous. Seriously, they are all over the place. We've seen them in the shrubs near the trams on almost every visit and last weekend spied on in the bushes near Snow White's Wishing Well.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #319
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
The cruise sounds awesome! We went to the Bahamas (on a NCL cruise) in 2007, it was beauuuuuuutiful! Seriously just amazingly beautiful. One thing that is sooo nice is that it is HOT but there is a great ocean breeze, so you never really feel overwhelmed by the heat.

A few things about Nassau - we went to the Pirate Museum and I personally was not all that impressed. I would have rather had more time to explore than to be in a rather dark and dreary museum, however it wasn't terrible, just not my preference. We took a jitney tour around the island, which was wonderful. We got to see so many different sites, and we got out to explore a few places. We chose that over beach time, however the beaches are supposed to be amazing there, and I'm sure we would have enjoyed that.

Downtown Nassau is nice during the day, in my opinion. Around dusk it started feeling kind of dangerous, so just keep an eye on your time, you might want to head back onboard when the sun gets close to going down (or explore mid afternoon and then spend more time at the Hilton, depending on what time you are required to be back on the ship). Be sure to visit the straw markets for souvenir shopping (but again, during the day..it was pretty dicey in there in the evening).

We truly truly LOVED Nassau and I would love to go back some day. Just next time I will not stay out in the evening, as we were honestly pretty nervous and high tailed it back to our ship after being approached by pretty aggressive drug dealers on the street.

OH and conch is the lifeblood of the island...you can eat it, get full (pretty polished) shells, get trinkets and sculptures carved from the shell. The shells are really pretty. And get a Kalik beer, the official beer of the Bahamas!
I'm so happy to hear this!!! I hear so many negative things about Nassau, but I figure there HAS to be some good there! We will only be there during the day, back on the ship before the sun starts to set, so no worries there. I really want to walk around a bit and LOVE the idea of a jitney tour! I have a walking tour saved, but I know Henry wouldn't last too long...but a jitney would be perfect! Were they just waiting for you as you stepped off the ship? Perhaps we'll do some of that and a bit of the beach. Hmmm!

I definitely plan to pick up a shell, maybe a smaller sized one due to our limited space. I have started collecting shells from every beach we visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
I'm loving your DLR report!
Disneyland is just so charming. Similar to the MK, but still so different.
The corn dogs look yummy! And so does the banana.
We're going to DLR for Christmas and your report is helping me plan!
for Christmas at Disneyland! You'll love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Just got back from our trip so I am trying to get caught up! You know what that is like.

Love the updates. I would rather see DL pics right now as I am very depressed about just coming back from WDW.

Aw Henry was so scared about the rides but then excited when he did it!!

That is too funny about that teenager riding in that cage!! I would never make mine do that. Well maybe he wanted to do it.

Wow it looks so EASY getting to the different parks & back to your resort. That must be heaven!!

Good luck on your apartment hunt & YES you must have a door on your bedroom!! It amazes me when I watch House Hunters (LOVE that show) & no doors!! Especially on the bathroom & bedrooms. I guess that is the OPEN concept.

Loving the updates!

I will hopefully start a new TR in the next few weeks. I have about 1600 pics to go through!!
Welcome back!!!!!

Hopping and going back to your resort at DLR is AWESOME. It's soooo easy! That is a huge benefit to Disneyland, in my opinion!

about open concept! No door on the bathroom?! Noooo way! I did happen to see an episode though where there was no bathroom door on the master. Weird! No thanks! We DO have a door on that room in our current place.

Looking forward to your TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
joining into the fun!

Getting some great ideas for our upcoming trip. I would love to stay at one of the Disneyland resorts, but not yet.... maybe there will be some amazing discount.. YA RIGHT!
Ya, those Disneyland Resort discounts are NOT great. They are fantastic hotels, but can be soooo expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm enjoying seeing and learning about Disneyland through your report Brook. Great job of trip reporting, comparing corn dogs at DL and WDW.

Your cruise plans look good. When we were in Nassau in '08, we just kind of walked around a little bit, went through the straw market and bought a couple of things and went back to the ship (Royal Caribbean, not Disney).
Thanks Glenn! I figured I HAD to try the left coast corn dogs!!!

I want to check out the Straw Market too, even though I hear people are really pushy--it's probably like Chinatown here! I also read the rum cakes are very good, so we might have to try for one of those.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #320
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Two great updates while I was gone! I'm really enjoying Disneyland through your eyes. I can't wait to get out there some day. How many days do you think are needed to take everything in?

I love all of your future trip plans too. You are going to have so much fun on the cruise!! It's right around the corner!!

Good luck with your apartment search... I'm sure that must be very stressful, but as you said, it will all work out. I can't wait to hear where you end up.
I think 3-4 days is pretty good for Disneyland. You could do 5 and make them really slow, easy days -- or if you go in a peak season you might want 4-5. We took it really pretty easy and got most everything done that we wanted to in 3. Only a few things were missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Glad you found a place with corndogs!!!

Henry looks so cute in all his pictures! What a great age. I can see why you would want to adopt a 4 year old - its my favorite age!

It is so cool how everything is so close and I enjoyed the walk back to your hotel. Thanks for all the great details.

Fingers crossed that you got your FP!
4 years old has had it's ups and downs. It's definitely better than 3. But that kid does.not.stop.talking! I know, I know, I should soak it up now because when he's a teen he won't talk to me at all, BUT! geeeeeeez! It ever ends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
Sorry Henry was feeling poorly. I hope your little man is feeling better.

Congratulations on making such progress on your waterslide phobia! Great coaching, Dr. Pat!

Finally: Thank you! You are helping me chip away at DH's resolve not to do Disney this year (to save up $ & time for a deluxe-everything trip). I had just told him about Starbucks coming to Disney - & somebody I know is a huge fan. Then I shared your great corn dog showdown, and that reminder of glorious Disney food opened up another crack in his defenses. For our Indian-food-loving family, it also doesn't hurt that the food court at Art of Animation will have 4 tandoor ovens! Maybe I shouldn't count my chickens just yet, but I'm already thinking another F&W trip. Just in case, I'd better get on ADRs ...
Thank you! He is feeling better! Just a 1 day stomach bug, thankfully.

LOVE IT!!!!!! I hope it works out! If you can book your trip starting in September you'll get free dining too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I am so jealous on how much time you are going to have on the ship. It's gonna be so fun!
I am a tad nervous about our sea days and my tendency to get motion sick on a boat, but I bought some bonine the other day. Hopefully I just won't even notice! I am REALLY looking forward to all the ship activities though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
What a great installment!

The corn dog wagon is fabulous, right? I rarely get to eat there.

I think that spot right where Alice and the Teacups meet is my favorite spot in any Disney park. Is just so whimsical and special.

at your "Is that a cat?" line. The Disneyland cats are famous. Seriously, they are all over the place. We've seen them in the shrubs near the trams on almost every visit and last weekend spied on in the bushes near Snow White's Wishing Well.
It is fabulous! We had so many GREAT meals, I'm glad Disneyland has improved it's food in recent years!

I had NO idea about the Disneyland cats, but yes! Wait until you read where we saw one! It totally took us off guard! Gotta love feral cats. We have them here in Queens too...everywhere!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #321
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Wow, big DL update!!! Love all of your beautiful photos Brook.

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Lovemy3babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #322
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great updates, Brook (you and your Corn Dogs ). Love how close everything is at DL.

Your plans for the cruise sound great.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #323
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Is that a cat?!

I left off after I realized I had made a big mistake. My plan for the evening was to see World of Color, and our "back-up" day would be 16th, in case something happened tonight where we couldn't see it.

Like forget to get a FastPass.

So, it's around 3 PM, Henry woke up after I opened the curtains and we gather our things to roll on over to DCA in a random hope there will be FastPasses...after all it IS the slow season...fingers crossed.

Henry had been begging to watch TV in the little TV room every time we passed it, so we let him for a few minutes. I believe I had to run to the front desk for something...can't recall what! but it worked out.

He looks sleepy still!

Eventually we were out the door! Going through DTD.

Informational shot - Alamo right on property. Super easy to get to.

Entering DTD

Despite sorta being in a hurry to get a FastPass, I truly figured they would be gone, so I didn't rush us. A gal was out with a parrot at the Rainforest Cafe and Henry was very interested, so we stopped for a bit.

We moseyed on...at the gates

It is sorta weird seeing the same entrance as DHS!

This made me think of Cynthia (eandesmom)

Grizzly River Run - a water ride.

The FastPasses are located at the same machines for Grizzly River Run, which is almost directly across from the Grand Californian entrance into the theme park.

And of course they were gone!

All well! Let's just hope the 16th works out and nothing hinders our plans there!

We decided to make our way back over to Disneyland, we hadn't made it yet to Adventureland or New Orleans Square, or Critter Country.

I like this one with the Castle in the background!

We went straight into Adventureland and passed by the Tiki Room

Yes! Let's ride!

Only...Henry was nervous. He could not remember the ride from WDW, but we convinced him on. We were almost to the front and he suddenly remembered the dark part of the Jungle Cruise at WDW and started to wimper. I couldn't recall, if Disneyland's had a dark part, but I prepared him. The ride was almost a walk-on, it was so nice that they were still short this late in the day!

Continued in next post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #324
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

We were soon on our boat, and while I tried to take a few pictures, none would come out, so I just gave up and enjoyed the ride.

Oh wait! A few good ones:

The backside of water

A few things about the ride are different -- one of them being there was no dark temple! Henry was SO GLAD! (and I was too, I would have felt awful for Henry!!) We all really enjoyed it, even though, most of it is pretty similar.

After the Jungle Cruise we grabbed one FastPass for Indiana Jones, almost right next door, and planned to Child Switch it later.

Walking onward we approached New Orleans Square

This area of the park is completely unique! And it's beautiful! The lagoon on the right is for Fantastmic! And Pirates loads under this bridge. There are "streets" with mardi gras beads and ornate balconies...it's really beautiful just to walk around in! I'll have more pictures of it later in the trip!

And since the area is a bit smaller, with smaller paths, it feels MUCH more crowded as well! There are also a few popular restaurants in the area, so that adds to the crowds.

Wandering around on the streets of New Orleans Square we had found the exit to Pirates of the Caribbean, but not the entrance. It took a CM or two, and glancing at the map, but we found it!

And again...Henry was scared! Of Pirates! One of his FAVORITES! But, we had brought Ike. His stuffed dog. We pulled him out and Henry cuddled up with Ike and bravely marched through the line. He wanted to ride, but was scared. He chose to be brave!

So pretty!

During part of the queue you walk past some of the ride

Pirates is SO DIFFERENT!!!!! It's about twice as long and has several additional scenes, and instead of the queue being in the caves, you float through them. There are two drops! WDW's queue is much cooler, BUT, Disneyland's ride is notches above WDW's Pirates! All the rooms are bigger, and it just feels more immersive, like you are truly in another place and time. We noticed you could not see the ceiling on the ride, it looked like sky above you -- it was really very, very, VERY cool. We all loved it! Even Henry! (except the drops ) If you are going to Disneyland, do NOT miss Pirates. It's a whole new ride experience.

Back outside we were in the gift shop and, of course, had to purchase some Pirate Gear!

Henry made his selections and while we were checking out

Very cool counter!

we experienced another chatty Cast Member. This time it was a manager asking the CM ringing us up "How's married life?" Really??? Asking that right in front of us while she's working with us??? She; however, pretty much ignored him, and continued to focus on us. I thought she should be the manager.

Once the purchases were completed we just wandering around New Orleans Square. It was stunning, even in the dark.

The gift shop.

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 05-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #325
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

The purchases:

A new gun, his previous one had broke, and a light up hook!

Yar!

We walked around a bit to find some dinner, we debated on doing a sit-down in New Orleans Square (walk-up! Can you imagine?! ), but we didn't want to waste the few hours we had left by sitting and eating. So we continued on. I remembered reading about Hungry Bear, which was in Critter Country, in the back corner of the park. Really not too far though...so we went! And...it was closed! But, Winnie the Pooh is also back there, so we walked right-on.

The ride loads outside! Loved that!

The ride is essentially the same

But the rooms are bigger, and the sound is better. Everything seemed brighter and more realistic to me - and the giant story pages were not in the ride, I preferred that. Overall, the same, but slightly better, in my opinion.

After the ride we came across Rancho del Zocalo, it was open and I had heard it was good - so in we went! It's a really pretty restaurant!

Bean & cheese wrap for Henry

Beef burrito for Joe

Beef tacos for me

There is a huge seating area outside, slightly covered

It was tasty and hit the spot. We were all sitting back and relaxing and suddenly we saw a CAT on the roof of the seating area! We thought it was hilarious! About a dozen people ended up gathering around and watching this cat just stare back at us. Eventually he moseyed on his way. A couple CMs had spotted him and seemed like they might try to shoo him away from the restaurant. But, apparently Disneyland has a feral cat problem, I saw a few others throughout the trip too!

After the excitement of the cat wore off, we continued on to Tomorrowland.

Continued in next post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #326
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Joe and I decided to Child Switch Space Mountain

We all went up and I got a large piece of red paper as my Child Switch Pass. Then Joe went onto the ride while Henry and I went off to Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

It's pretty much the same ride...but again...BETTER! The rooms were again larger, you can hold the guns, rather than them being bolted to the ride vehicle. They light up and vibrate (like the toy you can buy). The Z's also light up when you hit them!

Henry's score - which I was amazed at!

Mine

After we defeated Zurg (you can email your picture, but I missed out on this - and the gift shop does not have Zurg behind bars), we quickly glanced through the gift shop and then scurried out to find the exit of Space Mountain to meet Joe for the swap.

Once Joe met us, I took the red paper and went through the exit of Space Mountain. It was really confusing to know where to go, it just goes on and on and ON. And a few times there were turns, but nothing was labeled! I had to keep asking CMs if I was in the right area. Eventually, I found it and stepped RIGHT on.

Here is my pic...

WHOA! The ride seemed faster, longer and smoother. The track seemed different, it whipped me around more -- it was a BLAST! I swear I almost wet my pants from screaming so much! It was so different...yet so familar!

I met the boys back over at Buzz Lightyear and was able to snag their picture!

Drug the kid through the gift shop again...

Made it without purchasing anything!

Next we headed back to Adventureland

to use the Indiana Jones FastPass. We went up to Child Switch it, and I got a big yellow paper this time and Joe went in!

See the blur of Henry headed in? That boy loves him a gift shop!

Continued in next post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #327
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

This is cheaper here, isn't it? $6.95 at WDW if I recall...

Soooo soft and cuddly! Henry begged for one and at first I resisted...

Candy is cheaper too!

Oh ya!

I was thinking of MeMom!

Can you tell we were in there for a long time???

Well, that FP didn't save Joe ANY time. He was gone for well over 20 minutes and the park closed while Henry and I waited! Just before the shops closed, I let Henry pick out a toy. He had been such a trooper in waiting for so long. To my amazement he didn't select the cuddly pillow pet, he chose a Phineas & Ferb toy (pic below).

Eventually Joe got back, it was fine, I knew we'd be back in Disneyland for my chance to ride and Henry and I had a very good time at the gift shop. Joe said it was awesome, and warned me not to sit on the end seats...

We walked out of the park,

Not Casey's Corner!

stopped for a few minutes to admire the windows

In 1989 a new “gold age” of Disney animation began with the premiere of The Little Mermaid. The animated windows created for The Little Mermaid included detailed figures sophisticated animation and for the first time music. Within the next few years, windows at the Emporium mesmerized viewers with miniature dimensional scenes from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Aladdin.

Continued in next post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #328
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

In the late ‘60s, the Emporium began the tradition of creating animated windows inspired the latest Disney film release.

Many of the original figures from these beloved displays have been restored dan returned to Main Street to enchant a new generation.

And they did. Henry and I totally lost ourselves in those windows, we gazed and in pointed out details to each other, recalling the scenes from the movies. Eventually Joe pulled us away from the windows and we continued on...

Back through DTD

Lots of live entertainment in DTD

This guys was really impressive!

And back through the Grand Californian

Almost home!

The front entrance

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 05-01-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #329
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Back in the hotel room we relaxed a bit and played with Henry's new "Robo Dog"

Bill & Rupert, ready for bed.

A few more room pictures...

Our view - the ferris wheel during World of Color

And...Henry wasn't the only one to find something at the gift shop.

I love this bag and use it all the time! It was one of those "Buy $20 and get this for $15" type of "deals".

Better picture of the gun and hook:

I also did a room video tour, I don't believe I have posted that yet, so here it is!

Video: Paradise Pier Room Tour (7 minutes, 6 seconds)

Up Next: On-Site Resort Guest Perk!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #330
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Looking at your pictures makes me regret not looking into a Disneyland vacation more thoroughly. I've really enjoyed the WDW/Disneyland comparisons.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: